HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Across from the roundabout are provincially designated wetlands, nothing will be going there.
I believe he meant the large undeveloped land for sale or lease on Bishop approx across from Value Village or thereabouts ie east of the new NAPA/Swiftys build

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 7:37 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I thought maybe all the soil on the corner of Acorn st. and Bishop was the result of soil remediation or something. But! There seems to be a foundation going in.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I thought maybe all the soil on the corner of Acorn st. and Bishop was the result of soil remediation or something. But! There seems to be a foundation going in.

Talks about it here but it appears to only be a sidewalk application, nothing about building application.

https://pub-fredericton.escribemeeti...cumentId=15916

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 9:20 PM

McAdam Street School's progress, from the trail.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
Talks about it here but it appears to only be a sidewalk application, nothing about building application.

https://pub-fredericton.escribemeeti...cumentId=15916
As I mentioned on the previous page, there was an item that went before PAC a couple of years ago for a single story office building at this location. Something is definitely being built here.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 1:23 PM

Isn't that the area someone wanted to build some apartments but the PAC squashed it, partly because it's not really a walkable area?

Considering the retail node on the corner, and the residential across the street, putting in sidewalks in that area makes sense and would probably make adding a residential component in there more feasible.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Isn't that the area someone wanted to build some apartments but the PAC squashed it, partly because it's not really a walkable area?

Considering the retail node on the corner, and the residential across the street, putting in sidewalks in that area makes sense and would probably make adding a residential component in there more feasible.
No, that was beside Popeye's.

Residential is now allowed as-of-right there due to the new workforce housing zoning.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 6:42 PM

Does anyone know what is happening with the Centennial building? I drive by at least once a day and all work has stopped for well over a month. Looks abandoned!

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooweldi View Post
Does anyone know what is happening with the Centennial building? I drive by at least once a day and all work has stopped for well over a month. Looks abandoned!
There has been no work there since last fall. The activity you have witnessed since then have been workers from the Leg Annex renovation using the Centennial Building for parking

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 11:20 PM

A tiny little construction update just from what I've seen around town.

There are new townhouses going in on Canada Street in Sandyville, Trestle Lane in Devon, and Neill Street across from École les Éclaireurs (quite a lot going in there, actually). On top of that, the Murray Avenue/Cuffman Street/Eco Terra connection is being worked on currently. Apparently there is a trail component, which is nice! The apartment building that caught on fire last year is also still going through repairs. I also passed by the under-construction apartment building in St Mary's Ferry Landing a couple weeks back and it looks nearly done, I believe siding was going up.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 12:50 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Work going full steam ahead on Officers Square. Looks lovely!

From Fredericton webcam.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatelyElms View Post
A tiny little construction update just from what I've seen around town.

There are new townhouses going in on Canada Street in Sandyville, Trestle Lane in Devon, and Neill Street across from École les Éclaireurs (quite a lot going in there, actually). On top of that, the Murray Avenue/Cuffman Street/Eco Terra connection is being worked on currently. Apparently there is a trail component, which is nice! The apartment building that caught on fire last year is also still going through repairs. I also passed by the under-construction apartment building in St Mary's Ferry Landing a couple weeks back and it looks nearly done, I believe siding was going up.
There's also an apartment building being constructed at the corner of the extension of Attenborough and Reynolds. Currently at three storeys, not sure if it is going to be taller. Looks like they are also doing foundation work across the street from it for another building.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:

The building permit for this location is for a 53 unit apartment building.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 7:46 PM

Other building permits of note for April:

- $57.5M and $15.5M to complete the new justice building
- $6M permit for phase two of fire damage repair on the apartment building at 100 Clark Street
- Permits for the No Frills on Two Nations as well as for the interior fit-up for the new adjacent Shoppers Drug Mart
- The two homes behind KFC on Main (fronting on Wallace Ave) have been demolished to make way for an apartment building
- 16 new SFH permits were issued as well as 8 semi-detached units.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 11:29 PM
New Brunswick booster!

YFC sees 34% growth in 1st quarter of 2024. Here is the link to the release:

https://yfcfredericton.ca/Latest-New...Fzg48FNE0vMl_u

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 12:56 AM

Quote:
YFC sees 34% growth in 1st quarter of 2024. Here is the link to the release:

https://yfcfredericton.ca/Latest-New...Fzg48FNE0vMl_u
Would be great to see the actual numbers. YFC is always a bit lacking when it comes to releasing the actual data (or at least very delayed). If this trend continues (34%) it would break the previous record set in 2019.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 8:06 PM

Just shared on FB. St Mary's Supermarket is closing as of the end of June.

They blame the Suppliers increasing costs to independent grocers (compared to what Sobeys/Superstore can get), as well as the end of the Tax Revenue Sharing program with New Brunswick to be behind the 1M$ loss they'll be experiencing.

Some market operations will be shifting over to the One Stop, and the rest of the St Marys Retail ops are still profitable; but the market is kaput.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 12:47 PM

Im sure the NoFrills opening just up the road was factored into this decision as well. It is a shame.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Just shared on FB. St Mary's Supermarket is closing as of the end of June.

They blame the Suppliers increasing costs to independent grocers (compared to what Sobeys/Superstore can get), as well as the end of the Tax Revenue Sharing program with New Brunswick to be behind the 1M$ loss they'll be experiencing.

Some market operations will be shifting over to the One Stop, and the rest of the St Marys Retail ops are still profitable; but the market is kaput.
There goes the last local grocery store.. and the family-run neighbourhood convenience store has a For Sale sign out front, too.

I was hoping we'd get more local places, not watch them close down..

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatelyElms View Post
There goes the last local grocery store.. and the family-run neighbourhood convenience store has a For Sale sign out front, too.

I was hoping we'd get more local places, not watch them close down..
There's the Co-op on Allison Blvd, which is still chugging along, which I still use consistently. Co-op isn't advertised well and for some reason many people think Sobey's owns it (which is false). Sometimes prices are higher for individual items, but I find for weekly grocery shopping the overall costs cheaper, likely due to their "direct charge" members approach.

For example I just looked up 1L Bertolli Olive Oil at the Co-op ($17.99) Superstore ($23.99) and Sobey's ($21.49).

You never need to worry about Co-op artificially increasing prices. If there's an ACTUAL shortage/supply chain issue, you'll see increase in prices, but I've noticed multiple times when there's news about shortages to products, that Sobey's and Superstore will have dramatic increase in items, whereas there's no change with Co-op.

Anyway, I think it sucks the Saint Mary's one is shutting down though

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces