HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 4:17 PM

Ya that'll be a nice lunch spot, hopefully.

I sort of take issue with the ugly metal stage lighting and disco ball constantly hanging out there. Looks a bit trashy IMO. -30 blizzard and there's a disco ball FFS. haha Maybe if they had some winter park style lighting going on it would be a bit more palatable.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 4:22 PM

That original Pal sign is going to look good fronting the building. We'll see if the concept can be replicated on Main St, retaining the old clientele will be key to any short or medium term success.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Quite a lot... now middle-aged people who would have never darkened the doors at Whiskey Dix will be showing up regularly.

Although that said, I look forward to the day when that stately old building is used for something better than a weekend-only nightclub.
Anything that brings a middle-aged crowd downtown during the hours where it's not usually busy is a huge win in my books. Especially since it's the middle-aged demographic who seem to avoid downtown more than the millennials and boomers...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 1:16 PM
BANNED

I just love reading comments about parking. God forbid some people have to walk a block.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I just love reading comments about parking. God forbid some people have to walk a block.
Yeah, the middle aged crowd the Pal attracts is also the "wah wah wah I want free parking I hate downtown" crowd. I'm sure some of their heads will explode when their hatred of downtown collides with their desire to cut loose at the Pal again.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 2:32 PM

It costs about $10 to park for a full day downtown. Come there for the 9:00pm to 2:00am time frame, you can park for free haha. Heaven for f'in bid you need to walk your ass down the street lol Should be no problem if you're going clubbing. Also, you shouldn't be drinking and driving, so taxi should be your vehicle of choice!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
That original Pal sign is going to look good fronting the building. We'll see if the concept can be replicated on Main St, retaining the old clientele will be key to any short or medium term success.
I hope that is sarcasm. I hope the new owners do great, I just think you need to give the building its due and not cheapen it like has been done.

From MHS
--- This three-storey structure on Main Street is the only surviving pre-1914 building between Portage Avenue and McDermot Avenue. Built in 1903 for the Bank of British North America, it replaced various leased premises that the bank had occupied since arriving at Winnipeg in 1886. A one-storey rear addition was made in 1914, designed by local architects Pratt and Ross. Four years later, the bank merged with the Bank of Montreal and a subsidiary, the Royal Trust Company, took over this space as its western headquarters. Some unused offices were leased to private firms and government departments. Royal Trust moved out in 1964 and, two years later, the building was purchased by the law firm of Newman, McLean and Associates, which restored it. They leased space to other lawyers, the City of Winnipeg, residential development companies, and the Banque Canadienne Nationale. After the firm merged Taylor McCaffrey in the early 1990s, they vacated the building. It is a municipally-designated historic site.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocket View Post
I hope that is sarcasm.
No, dead serious. The neon sign will be a nice addition. I don't understand the relevance to the historical information you provided, but I may have misunderstood your post.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
No, dead serious. The neon sign will be a nice addition. I don't understand the relevance to the historical information you provided, but I may have misunderstood your post.
Fair enough, my position is that the building is beautiful, classy and historically significant. Putting a neon horse on the side makes it look cheap and low rent, like what whisky dix did. Just my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
my position is that the building is beautiful, classy and historically significant.

Putting a neon horse on the side makes it look cheap and low rent, like what whisky dix did. Just my opinion.
We're in agreement here.

In the interim, I don't find any real problem in adding neon signage, brightening the streetscape, to a some what barren and bleak area of Main St? Maybe a permanent usage for this significant historical building will be found in the future, but it is currently set up and configured as a night club.

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/palomino-...ring-1.2828878

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 6:37 PM

Anyone know what the latest is with the Werier building on Princess? I went by it today and it looks like that wacky deadstock store on the main floor with the same outdated merchandise sitting on the shelves for at least the last 40 years is still there, but it hasn't been open in quite some time. Is anything going on with that place? It's such a prime building but it appears to be, like the Peck Building, completely unused at the moment.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 8:54 PM

one article has the owner saying the sign will be placed in the patio... there's probably a downtown sign bylaw that wouldn't let that thing hang over main street i'm certain!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 9:46 PM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 10:44 PM

Yeah ... not so good.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 1:36 AM
BANNED

Tacky...but at the same time, kind of cool.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Haha, OMG. That would look beyond horrible. You can use neat lights to light up the building, you don't need neon signs. Why a low end bar in a high end building? Winnipeg has a self esteem problem.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Haha, OMG. That would look beyond horrible. You can use neat lights to light up the building, you don't need neon signs. Why a low end bar in a high end building? Winnipeg has a self esteem problem.
That's how we roll, man. One of the most impressive banking halls in Canada is right across the street from there and the main function it has is being rented out for weddings.

I mean, did anyone seriously think we'd actually use it for banking and finance?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 3:12 PM

Heard from a trade (cabinets) working on Galpern that their next job is "behind the Pump House". A parkade doesn't need cabinets though, so I'm at a loss.

Last edited by Portmanteau; Mar 27, 2016 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 5:57 PM
BANNED

If there is a housing component? Perhaps he was confused on location, and it is 98 Market he is referring to?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
If there is a housing component? Perhaps he was confused on location, and it is 98 Market he is referring to?
I'm sincerely hoping he's not terribly familiar with the neighbourhood and he's thinking of 98 Market as you said. I haven't seen any public notice posters on James, but I've emailed 311 to see if there are any permits for the lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan