HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 5:41 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Money money money money..... money!

Colorado’s governor, legislature have spent 2024 trying to reshape RTD. Now they want to force it to complete its rail routes.

With $138M here and $50 from the car rental fee, there probably ~$125M in new funding coming to rail development in Colorado- which is absolutely dick for finishing the B Line.

The infuriating portion of this legislation is that RTD cannot reallocate funding from the FasTracks back to the bus system. However, if the RTD board was composed of individuals with some iota of critical thinking skills, they would start making the case that the money flowing in the FasTracks savings account for the B-Line is largely composed of cuts to the expansion of bus service that was supposed to come with the rail expansion. The B-Line for the rich white folks in Boulder is being put in front of increased bus frequency for the poor brown folks in Denver.

Hammer that message home and see what compromise pops up for combining the B-Line with Front Range Passenger rail while funding bus expansion as was promised under FasTracks.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Last edited by wong21fr; May 4, 2024 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 7:20 PM
sidewalkin'

We probably all know the stories about why our street cars were removed. But I found this podcast quite interesting. Just about everything Roman Mars does on 99pi is interesting.
https://99percentinvisible.org/episo...north-america/

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 10:55 AM

UAs DEN-YWG route resumed on Thursday, 16 May

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:10 PM
cities|transit|croissants

What do people hear about CDOT's BRT initiative? What are your expectations for it?

I'm extremely intrigued at the prospect of a state DOT doing this. But I don't know much about it.

How's it different from what the local governments were already doing? Is it going to produce true BRT with good busways and good service, or the typical diet BRT that's just an incremental improvement over existing buses?

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:12 PM

Was all this stuff happening with the locals already, just with normal coordination with CDOT? Or has CDOT taken a leadership role in it somehow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
BRT Updates:

East Colfax: Final Design is well underway. Making final decsions on a number of items including uncontrolled crossings, urban design, stations, etc. The funding stack is basically ready to go. RTD's contribution will be new artics (like 44 of them).

Federal: 30%/NEPA underway. Confirmation of LPA (side-running) is complete. Traffic analysis, Section 106, Station Locations, etc. all in process. CDOT has a decent chunck of change for ROW (likely at station locations) and Final Design. Still on pace for revenue service by December 31, 2029.

Colorado: Interviews for AA/NEPA/30% design took place a couple weeks ago. Should know who was selected soon. This will be an expedited process to meet project miletone goals. Determination of center-running/side-running is primary objective of AA. Still on pace for revenue service by December 31, 2029.

Far East Colfax: Led by DRCOG and will likely inclue AA and maybe NEPA/30%. This will be an extension of East Colfax BRT. RFP likely out mid-2024.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 4:10 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Was all this stuff happening with the locals already, just with normal coordination with CDOT? Or has CDOT taken a leadership role in it somehow?
Going by who's proving the lion's share of the funding (whether directly or through appropriated grants) the Colfax BRT is a Denver project and the CO119 Diagonal is an RTD project (also known as the "shut up the whiners about the B Line extension" project).

The other projects are CDOT led BRT projects that are necessary for CDOT to meet CO2 emission reduction goals laid out in the state's Greenhouse Gas Transportation Plan- I can't recall the legislation, but I think it was enacted in 2021. CDOT ended up with $170M to build BRT lines that can be used to offset increased emissions coming from other highway expansion projects such as the Floyd Hill project.

Bunt or PLANSIT probably know more, but that's what I recall.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
The other projects are CDOT led BRT projects that are necessary for CDOT to meet CO2 emission reduction goals laid out in the state's Greenhouse Gas Transportation Plan- I can't recall the legislation, but I think it was enacted in 2021. CDOT ended up with $170M to build BRT lines that can be used to offset increased emissions coming from other highway expansion projects such as the Floyd Hill project.
So they are pursuing these the way they'd normally pursue a highway project? That is to say, the DOT decides what they want to do, and the local government is a stakeholder but ultimately at the DOT's mercy?

Just from a process perspective, big if true.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Going by who's proving the lion's share of the funding (whether directly or through appropriated grants) the Colfax BRT is a Denver project and the CO119 Diagonal is an RTD project (also known as the "shut up the whiners about the B Line extension" project).

Bunt or PLANSIT probably know more, but that's what I recall.
Colfax is definitely a DOTI led project.

Federal blvd the AA was in process with DOTI when that GHG rule was established so DOTI finished, and CDOT is taking over with the NEPA over a larger area.

The GHG rule was also directed at regional planning entities like DRCOG to plan for reductions. Which is why DRCOG is taking charge on at least the initial planning for far east colfax.

Colorado Blvd is all CDOT, and I guess you could say it's being managed like a highway project.

The only thing I am aware of DOTI is studying right now for bus improvements is 38th which is not a CDOT road. https://denvergov.org/Government/Age...Corridor-Study

The GHG rule was part of sb260 and CDOT has a bunch of info on it here https://www.codot.gov/programs/envir.../greenhousegas

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:55 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
So they are pursuing these the way they'd normally pursue a highway project? That is to say, the DOT decides what they want to do, and the local government is a stakeholder but ultimately at the DOT's mercy?

Just from a process perspective, big if true.
I think that's the case. For the Federal Blvd Project CDOT took the DENVER MOVES: Federal Transit Alternatives Analysis and used it to conduct the NEPA. Believe they're handling everything.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 12:06 AM

Coincidentally a NY Times article came out today on the impact of the GHG rule on Colorado.

Quote:
In Colorado, that new vision was catalyzed by climate change. In 2019, Gov. Jared Polis signed a law that required the state to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 90 percent within 30 years. As the state tried to figure out how it would get there, it zeroed in on drivers. Transportation is the largest single contributor to greenhouse gas emissions in the United States, accounting for about 30 percent of the total; 60 percent of that comes from cars and trucks. To reduce emissions, Coloradans would have to drive less

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West