HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 10:11 AM

The new cranes are going to be “super” post Panamax - meaning they can extend 22 to 25 containers wide and pick up 2 at a time. I also see DP World is buying a dozen of the vehicles that move the containers around the port. I can’t see them doing this unless they knew something was in the hopper for a big announcement.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
The new cranes are going to be “super” post Panamax - meaning they can extend 22 to 25 containers wide and pick up 2 at a time. I also see DP World is buying a dozen of the vehicles that move the containers around the port. I can’t see them doing this unless they knew something was in the hopper for a big announcement.
I have heard 7 cranes in operation by 2025 for a while now. Saint John looked cool when we had the two old red ones up with the two blue cranes, three post-panamax at once would be like adding three skyscrapers.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 2:28 PM

Maersk did a test run to port with one of their ships. Maybe jumping ship from Halifax ???

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Maersk did a test run to port with one of their ships. Maybe jumping ship from Halifax ???
It would be unlikely they completely pack their bags but it could take a ship or two away from them. Halifax is still a relatively efficient port compared to other major east coast ports. What Saint John has is the rail superiority and congestion free operations that makes the port so attractive right now in light of supply chain issues.

As far as new lines coming Maersk does seem like a no brainer, I hope CMA CGM adds a new bigger line. I could see either ZIM or Yang Mind adding service. What Saint John already has are huge players in the container business which is an impressive footprint.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 3:25 PM

Honestly for the shipping industry, with how things can get so backed up, I’m sure they love to have two ports decently close together that they can off load shipments at. Having both Halifax and Saint John ports thriving is a wonderful thing for the Atlantic Provinces and Canada.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 6:21 PM

I wonder when they're going to start twinning the rail.

It would be great to see the rail line simultaneously chip in for some much-needed upgrades to the Shoreline Trail from McLaren's Beach to where the train line crosses Sea St. Not Harbour Passage tier with lighting and paving, but maybe a couple signs, crushed gravel paths, a lookout or two. Or maybe shake them down for some sorely needed improvements to McLaren's or Bay Shore.

Realistically, at very low cost, SJ should run a walking trail ~3 miles from Sheldon's Point east to the Digby Ferry terminal. Let them put in some big 'SPONSORED BY' signage or something. Most of it already exists and it would require zero ROW through private land other than the ocean frontage of Holy Cross Cemetery.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 11:07 PM

Yes, it is 3 new cranes according to this diagram

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 11:59 PM

The apartment complex on O’Brien and Wilson Street passed 1st and 2nd reading. Council will be voting in the future on a sun set clause for this development. There is a lot of speculation amongst the councillors that this project will not actually happen. Developer said he wants to begin construction either next spring or summer but he says if a sunset clause were to be imposed he’d want 7-8 years because of the issues in developing these days. Numbers evidently don’t add up and I can’t blame the councillors for the speculation.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
While the diagram may show 3 but the news release cited we are getting 2 this fall. Of course that isn’t to say another 1 couldn’t come down the line. In fact if we continue our trends an additional 1 is more than likely.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 1:10 AM

Wasn’t able to snap pics but I see JDI has multiple projects on the go on the west side. The waste water treatment plant, Dever Road logistics hub and upgrades at the Pulp Mill including a massive retaining wall beneath the reversion falls bridge.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 4:04 PM

Service master, is in the old Barbour general store. Do we have any updates on this site? I’ve been hearing rumours of a tear down and new build but service master usually does restorations…

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 4:18 PM

Upthread or in the Uptown thread people say the Barbour family wants it back in Gagetown or something. Maybe they had enough. No maintenance done all summer. Plus the city wants to build a tourist information site (just as the province closes all theirs, great thinking SJ).

Knocking it down would be another heritage win for Saint John, so that's more likely to happen than any restoration, tbf. Totally on the city for letting a guy literally camp on its east side all winter, then doing nothing all summer to fix it.

I'm not a huge downer on Saint John like some posters here but the city loves giving itself preventable black eyes. $45K for a light show down an alley with no businesses on it while Barbours rots down the road. My goodness.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 5:16 PM

Haven't heard of this before: looks like someone's finally trying to subdivide land on Colonel Nase in Grand Bay.

https://www.remax.ca/nb/saint-john-r...arehouse=false

Seems to be the land between Nase and the highway, and south of Nase, for now.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 10:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
I have heard 7 cranes in operation by 2025 for a while now. Saint John looked cool when we had the two old red ones up with the two blue cranes, three post-panamax at once would be like adding three skyscrapers.
Cool? Omg are you serious? Skyscrapers? What a joke. Saint john is full of strange and ignorant ppl.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 10:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Upthread or in the Uptown thread people say the Barbour family wants it back in Gagetown or something. Maybe they had enough. No maintenance done all summer. Plus the city wants to build a tourist information site (just as the province closes all theirs, great thinking SJ).

Knocking it down would be another heritage win for Saint John, so that's more likely to happen than any restoration, tbf. Totally on the city for letting a guy literally camp on its east side all winter, then doing nothing all summer to fix it.

I'm not a huge downer on Saint John like some posters here but the city loves giving itself preventable black eyes. $45K for a light show down an alley with no businesses on it while Barbours rots down the road. My goodness.
Saint john is ...........

Last edited by mark smith; Sep 15, 2022 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 11:04 PM

^^^ the pictures posted here paint a completely different story... the city looks lovely. Your harsh criticism actually comes off a tad jealous dare I say? Like, why are you that mad?? at least that is the tone I am getting.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark smith View Post
Jealous of saint John? Are u ok? Wtf goes to prove how right I am.
Do you understand ? Oh God.
Mark, have you ever had your ass kicked? Because you sound like someone who hasn't, yet.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 11:42 PM

Concrete is starting to be poured for The Arlington off of University Avenue. They went very deep for what I assume is underground parking. The topography is a little challenging there so it makes sense. Should be a great building when complete.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 1:34 AM

Would love to see Gorman torned down for a multipurpose facility in millidgeville

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 12:18 PM

Not sure if this was posted before, but I just came across this 3-phase project at Tucker Park. Health & Technology District - Saint John.
  • PHASE 1 is projected to attract up to 50 new businesses, create an estimated 1,000 new jobs and bring $50 million to the Saint John regional economy annually.

• PHASE 2 AND 3 will bring further private sector investment of about $70 million to Saint John, providing exceptional space for additional new businesses, creating more than 2500 jobs and adding another $100 million to the economy annually.

Construction of Phase 1 is supposed to happen soon. The facility is supposed to modeled after the Health & Technology District in Surrey, BC.

More Info: https://healthandtechnologydistrictsaintjohn.com

A neat video talking about it: https://www.facebook.com/HTDistrictS...8513756116375/

Last edited by DyAm00394; Sep 16, 2022 at 12:36 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces