HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 12:18 PM

Past by the Starbucks it's closed, and looks like a construction crew is taking the building down almost. It's strange.

Last edited by Scarface; Nov 30, 2017 at 6:50 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 2:31 PM

According the Acadie Nouvelle, it's going to be permanently close tomorrow.

Starbucks rep say it's part of "Normal Procedure" as each year they opened, closed, and moved a couple of stores.

Maybe the fact that it was a few meters from of a Tims had something to do with it...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
According the Acadie Nouvelle, it's going to be permanently close tomorrow.

Starbucks rep say it's part of "Normal Procedure" as each year they opened, closed, and moved a couple of stores.

Maybe the fact that it was a few meters from of a Tims had something to do with it...
Acording to people when they opened it. It was the same reason they opened the store at that location. Was to try, and take away business from Tim's. But Canadian is a different culture it's Tim's all the way.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 2:40 PM

Depending on the region, of course... college areas it's a bit the other way around; my brother was telling me how the Fredericton Tim's in... Regent Mall, I think he said? ...closed after a Starbucks opened in the same food court. That said, the nearby Prospect St. Tim's is always really busy.

I'm not as familiar with Moncton/Dieppe as I am with Saint John and Fredericton, but it would be interesting to see how Tim's and Starbucks would do relative to one another, say, right next door to U de M.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 3:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
I'm not as familiar with Moncton/Dieppe as I am with Saint John and Fredericton, but it would be interesting to see how Tim's and Starbucks would do relative to one another, say, right next door to U de M.
Oversaturation. There were four Starbucks in Dieppe (for 22,000 people). That's too many. This particular location really only served commuters. The other three locations make more sense.

There are also three Starbucks in Moncton. The downtown and Mountain Road locations are quite busy. Their neighborhood location on Elmwood Drive I'm not so sure about. It's a working class area (but close to UdeM) and would catch some commuter traffic. If there were another location in trouble, this is the one I would be most worried about.

Personally, I might put a second one downtown close to the events centre. A Riverview store could also be a possibility.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Oversaturation. There were four Starbucks in Dieppe (for 22,000 people). That's too many. This particular location really only served commuters. The other three locations make more sense.

There are also three Starbucks in Moncton. The downtown and Mountain Road locations are quite busy. Their neighborhood location on Elmwood Drive I'm not so sure about. It's a working class area (but close to UdeM) and would catch some commuter traffic. If there were another location in trouble, this is the one I would be most worried about.

Personally, I might put a second one downtown close to the events centre. A Riverview store could also be a possibility.
For Riverview I think there was a plan for a location for the Pinewood Rd/Cleveland Ave Development but not sure what will happen. Only time will tell. For a new Downtown Mncton Location I vote Ideal Mufler move, and they build a Starbucks on that lot, or just move the rue Amirault building to that spot. I always thought Ideal Mufler was in a weird spot.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
it would be interesting to see how Tim's and Starbucks would do relative to one another, say, right next door to U de M.

There is actually a Tims and a Starbucks across the street from each other on Elmwood Drive, walking distance for the vast majority of U de M students' apartments.
The Tim's, as it has since Day 1, is booming.
Starbucks is surprisingly (to me, anyway) busy. I don't go hardly at all but I drive by it several times per week. Mornings are very busy with every demographic well represented and even at night it is doing better than I ever expected, with mostly a young crowd, chatting in groups and/or sitting alone reading books and staring into their computers, some taking notes (obviously students.)
Tims is always way busier then SB for sure, but Starbucks is doing okay on Elmwood. It would have been the ideal spot for them to try out their pilot (live acoustic music and wine sales by the glass) but I dont think any of their Moncton stores are taking part in that test.

Last edited by L'homard; Dec 1, 2017 at 10:52 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Glad to hear the Elmwood Starbucks is doing OK.

I guess all six remaining locations are doing well then.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:16 PM

Quote:
A second Starbucks location on Main st would fit well in a newly upgraded Crown Plaza Hotel.

Photos from Aquilini Development (Crown Plaza Hotel owner) & Google

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I presume that's not an official render of a redeveloped Crowne Plaza Hotel.

If it were, I'd be ecstatic!!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:21 PM

Quote:

I presume that's not an official render of a redeveloped Crowne Plaza Hotel.

If it were, I'd be ecstatic!!
LOL I wish too! Something I found on Aquilini's web page.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:10 PM

Isn't Crowne Plaza undergoing important room renovations at the moment? If they were to upgrade the exterior, I assume they'd do it at the same time, so I don't expect the façade to change for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Isn't Crowne Plaza undergoing important room renovations at the moment? If they were to upgrade the exterior, I assume they'd do it at the same time, so I don't expect the façade to change for the foreseeable future.
A fresh coat of paint and some other cheaper improvements (lighting, new signage etc) would go a long way with the Crown exterior if they dont' have a major exterior upgrade planned in the near future. That "aged" white is awful.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 12:33 AM

It was reported on Radio-Canada today that Sobeys is still planning on their Dieppe blvd store with construction slated for early 2019 with a November 2019 opening date. The new store will be 30 to 40% larger than the current COOP-IGA on Dieppe blvd.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:51 AM

Re Starbucks -

Moncton has the most Tim Hortons per capita in the country. According to this 2016 article, 26 of the 37 Tims in the province were in greater Moncton.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...nada-1.3864516

I definitely think there is still lots of room for more Starbucks locations, including immediately beside existing Tims locations. I just can't imagine that the current Starbucks to Tims locations ratio, with there being so many Tims, reflects consumer preferences.

There's a chunk of downtown Ottawa, for example, with essentially one or two coffee shops per block, most of them being Starbucks and Tims.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTBourque View Post
Re Starbucks -

Moncton has the most Tim Hortons per capita in the country. According to this 2016 article, 26 of the 37 Tims in the province were in greater Moncton.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...nada-1.3864516
26 out of 37 Tims in Southeast NB; not in all of NB. Considering there are 10 in the Fredericton area alone, and 3 more up in Woodstock (and that's just what I can recall off the top of my head, 37 is way too low for a province wide count.

A quick count on the Tims website shows NB has around 120 or so Tims in total.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
26 out of 37 Tims in Southeast NB; not in all of NB. Considering there are 10 in the Fredericton area alone, and 3 more up in Woodstock (and that's just what I can recall off the top of my head, 37 is way too low for a province wide count.

A quick count on the Tims website shows NB has around 120 or so Tims in total.
Ah, that makes more sense! I'm kind of glad I mis-read that.

I stand by my point stands otherwise, though. There are relatively few Starbucks in Moncton and many Tims. Not sure 4-5x more people prefer Tims to Starbucks - especially among young people.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:52 PM

Yeah, I was gonna say... no way there would only be 37 Tims in all of NB! Moncton and Saint John alone handily exceed that without even adding Fredericton, Edmundston, Woodstock, the entire northeastern quarter of the province, the rest of the Trans-Canada corridor, etc. etc. etc....

Also no doubt that Moncton has the highest concentration of Tim's locations! Not only in NB; it's the highest density of Tim Hortons restaurants found in any municipality anywhere, IIRC.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTBourque View Post
Ah, that makes more sense! I'm kind of glad I mis-read that.

I stand by my point stands otherwise, though. There are relatively few Starbucks in Moncton and many Tims. Not sure 4-5x more people prefer Tims to Starbucks - especially among young people.
I don't think Starbucks has the appeal here that it does in other places. It definitely has its place and fans, but I don't think the Moncton area can support much more than what we already have.

Personally, I'm a Second Cup fan. I think there should be more of those around town.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 2:50 AM

Construction equipment is already on site next to the Dieppe Blvd NBLC for an expansion which I assume will be for the announced CanabisNB store.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces