HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post
^Damn, how did that happen? I ran into one before but that was it...
1 AM, going to fast, wet expansion joint / low friction, head first into steel column. I now have a Y shaped scar on my face that I can't wait to have removed.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 3:26 AM

^

Ouch Hayward!!

I've witnessed so many bike and pedestrian accidents on that two block stretch.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 5:08 AM

You've merely been branded with the Chicago Municipal Device.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 8:11 PM

Unfortunately no pics, but good news from Lincoln Square:

Steel is rising at the Old Town School annex site. A long-time vacant lot in a busy neighborhood bites the dust.

It looks bigger than I thought. The skeleton looks about twice as tall as the 3-story apartment building directly behind it.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 10:34 PM

I'm not sure whether or not this has been posted yet, but this is supposedly an early drawing for the new Burberry store.
http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...chigan-avenue/
Looks pretty good to me.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 10:59 PM

Why is it going to take them 6 years to build this overpass? You could literally do three Wacker Dr. rebuilds in that amount of time. Hell, skyscrapers go up in shorter time than that.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 11:24 PM

It's multi-phased, which probably has something to do with the financing. Additionally, modification of the LSD bridge towers may take some time. Who knows what structural rework will need to be done.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 1:21 AM
THAT Guy

I'm surprised that Crain's or someone else didn't make a big deal out of this yet:

It looks like Wal-Mart will [try to?] build a new "neighborhood market" store in Presidential Towers in the West Loop. According to BidClerk, the store will be about 26,000 sf. With that in mind, the likely location is on the corner of Monroe and Jefferson where the now closed Presidential Market once stood.

-edit-

Last edited by spyguy; Oct 10, 2011 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new.slang View Post
I'm not sure whether or not this has been posted yet, but this is supposedly an early drawing for the new Burberry store.
http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...chigan-avenue/
Looks pretty good to me.
Oh nice! I'm glad they're rebuilding it

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 7:40 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
It looks like Wal-Mart will [try to?] build a new "neighborhood market" store in Presidential Towers in the West Loop. According to BidClerk, the store will be about 26,000 sf. With that in mind, the likely location is on the corner of Monroe and Jefferson where the now closed Presidential Market once stood.
What do you mean try? The City Council's only leverage over Wal-Mart is through PD applications, since super-centers have to be built from the ground up.

If Wal-Mart can put a smaller operation into an existing retail space, the city can't stop them. (Well, it can withhold the necessary permits, but that would be highly irregular.)

It's not like they'll be putting mom and pops out of business in the West Loop. Their only real competition is the mediocre Doms in Skybridge and the new K Station Jewel. Hopefully it doesn't take a bite out of the already-struggling French Market, though.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 5:21 PM

I doubt it will compete with French Market. Whole different animal....

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 9:00 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
What do you mean try?
I agree with your points regarding the lack of nearby competition so I don't think there's that much to object to. But you never know what the community's position will be. Look at what happened in Lakeview and how quickly Walmart denied/backed out of that deal.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanvinHomme View Post
Oh nice! I'm glad they're rebuilding it
It's one of those good reminders of what an important shopping destination Michigan Ave is. I think the avenue has always sat in pretty good balance. Saving what historic buildings are important (somewhat with the Farwell) and rebuilding bigger and better in other places. It's always good for an architectural refresh since it keeps the area interesting.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 10:19 PM

A couple unfortunate noticings.

- A high end retail store is closing at 1 Mag Mile. They occupy about 30% of the ground floor leaseable space it appears.
- Former Kenneth Cole space near Northbridge is still unleased
- Former Nokia building is still empty
- Loehmanns on State Street has pretty much emptied everything out. I really hope whoever moves in keeps with a similar design. The high ceilings, tall windows and bright colors really energized that corner.

Despite the depressing news, a bright spot is that Lou malnatis is moving forward with construction finally on Anthropologie's older location. The EIFS has been removed from the facade. It appears the cool heavy wood doors may be staying (so far)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 1:45 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
- Loehmanns on State Street has pretty much emptied everything out. I really hope whoever moves in keeps with a similar design. The high ceilings, tall windows and bright colors really energized that corner.
Uniqlo was suggested for this space... that would be perfect. I know they're looking to expand into Chicago, and the Loehmann's space can probably be had for a steal right now. Certainly much less than the $20 million/year they're plunking down on 5th Avenue.

Plus, I never thought Loehmann's fit with the young demographic of shoppers on State.... I associate the place with Fran Drescher more than anything else.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
A couple unfortunate noticings.

- A high end retail store is closing at 1 Mag Mile. They occupy about 30% of the ground floor leaseable space it appears.
Are you talking about Dennis Basso on the corner of Michigan and Oak? Or another closing?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 8:20 PM
THAT Guy

A new retail building on Walton is set to replace these buildings. Already the Underground Wonder Bar and Tom's Gold Coast shoe repair have relocated in anticipation of demolition.

First the new building, about 8000 sf of retail on two floors (although that could always change depending on the tenant):

And the buildings it will replace:
-edit-
Originally, only the two buildings on the left were supposed to go. However, the developer recently gained control of the last building and now that will be demolished as well.

Since this is the only portion of the block not to have been leveled in recent years, I think it's appropriate to note the changes that have occurred in the area:

In between 30 W Oak, a new Ogden school, 10 E Delaware, Walton on the Park, Elysian, Barneys, Walgreens, lululemon, and 50 E Chestnut were built.

Any thoughts on the changes? Any buildings or businesses that were destroyed in the process that you'd like to see back?

Last edited by spyguy; Oct 10, 2011 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 8:30 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
A new retail building on Walton is set to replace these buildings. Already the Underground Wonder Bar and Tom's Gold Coast shoe repair have relocated in anticipation of demolition.

First the new building, about 8000 sf of retail on two floors (although that could always change depending on the tenant):

And the buildings it will replace:

Originally, only the two buildings on the left were supposed to go. However, the developer recently gained control of the last building and now that will be demolished as well.

It's really too bad that the area keeps getting little stubby 2-story buildings. I mean, seriously, this is supposed to be one of the best urban districts in the country and we're barely building at suburban densities there?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 9:34 PM
The City

^ I agree with these being suburban designs.

But bear in mind that there will be NO PARKING as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 9:37 PM
The City

Quote:
Any thoughts on the changes? Any buildings or businesses that were destroyed in the process that you'd like to see back?
^ Loss of the Gino's east pizzeria building kind of sucked.

Otherwise, nah... All in all the changes were a 2000% improvement

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development