HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 12:16 AM

Woweeee.

Brings up a good point- Atlanta needs to elevate its expectation of renderings. Some have been great lately. Many look like technology from the early 2000’s if not earlier.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 1:05 PM

Mailchimp leaving Ponce City Market for 760 Ralph McGill

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ty-market.html

Quote:
Mailchimp, the rapidly growing Atlanta company that makes email marketing software for small businesses, will move its headquarters into a new $300 million dual-tower project along the city’s popular Atlanta Beltline Eastside Trail.

Mailchimp announced the decision Thursday afternoon to its 1,200 employees.

The company occupies multiple floors in Ponce City Market, the massive former Sears, Roebuck & Co. warehouse that was converted into offices, stores, apartments and a food hall on the Eastside Trail. Mailchimp, which has added hundreds of jobs in the past year, ran out of space to expand. It has signed a lease for just over 300,000 square feet in the north tower of 760 Ralph McGill, part of a planned $1 billion development rising along the Eastside Trail, which connects Piedmont Park to Memorial Drive.

The corridor is lined with several thousand apartment units and used by more than 2 million pedestrians every year. More than 30% of Mailchimp employees use the Beltline to get to work.

“Before the pandemic, we’d estimate the [new] space could house about 2,600 office-based employees,“ the company said in an email to Atlanta Business Chronicle. “However, we know that our workplace-needs are going to be different in the future.”

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Good for them. I heard great things about their work culture.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 3:05 PM

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 3:49 PM

So with a major tenant, at a minimum the Beltline-facing office portion of this is 100% going forward, right? Great news!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
So with a major tenant, at a minimum the Beltline-facing office portion of this is 100% going forward, right? Great news!
The two northernmost offices with the air bridge are currently under construction. Basically the entire hillside is already excavated. Residential and hotel are supposed to go under construction next year. But foundation makes it appear the whole site is being prepped. It’s astounding to watch the progress.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 4:40 PM

Thanks for the update. I used to be in that area a lot but I'm completely avoiding the Beltline right now so I'm out of the loop (punny!) on construction.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I used to be in that area a lot but I'm completely avoiding the Beltline right now so I'm out of the loop (punny!) on construction.
A few days back:

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 8:10 PM

Quote:
That's what I was thinking but they continue to say that phase 1 will include a residential and a hotel building .

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:34 AM

I know I’m probably not going to get a lot of agreement on skyscraperpage of all places, but am I really the only one who thinks this project is way out of proportion to the surroundings? Was everybody okay with not one, but three huge office buildings going up here?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
I know I’m probably not going to get a lot of agreement on skyscraperpage of all places, but am I really the only one who thinks this project is way out of proportion to the surroundings? Was everybody okay with not one, but three huge office buildings going up here?
Wasn't one of the points of the Beltline to establish density and a critical mass of people and jobs within its area? If we want the Beltline to be fully realized as envisioned, then we'll probably need big projects like this that put thousands of people on it. Especially if we're ever to get the light rail that it seems like we've been waiting on forever.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:42 PM

Talking

Quote:
Well, fuqua, the city of doraville and Brookhaven city councils, and homeowners in the Virginia highlands all agree with you, but I think everyone else loves this proposal

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
I'm sure there was some opposition though I don't know how well the argument holds given that the comparitively-sized Ponce City Market building has been in the area for most of the last century.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 3:21 PM

BeltLine SubArea 5 has the for 10+ stories MU, essentially surrounded by 5-10+ residential.

There were a few naysayers when it was proposed, however the majority of those in that portion of O4W live there because they expect more density and larger buildings.

Also recall Jamestown’s expansion proposal for PCM, which IMO some of the land use along the NW and southern portions need enhancement.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 1:45 PM

The steel beams on the right are around the westside of the hotel.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:18 PM

[/QUOTE]

Any news or update on Phase 2 timeline? I seem to recall tax credits from Phase 1 having an impact on timing, but I'm not certain.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 2:50 PM

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 4:03 PM

Office project gets $180M in construction financing

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...financing.html

Quote:
A $1 billion project on the Beltline Eastside Trail that includes the new headquarters for marketing giant Mailchimp secured a $180 million construction loan.

Atlanta-based developer New City LLC and equity partner Lamb Properties LLC are building the mid-rise office towers at 760 Ralph McGill in Atlanta's Old Fourth Ward neighborhood. Last month, Mailchimp confirmed it would relocate its headquarters from Ponce City Market, also along the Eastside Trail, to the new 300,000 square foot headquarters in the New City-Lamb development. The headquarters will be finished in late 2022.

New City and Lamb Properties will add 500,000 square feet of office space in the first phase of their project — the largest investment in new construction on the Beltline so far. The Eastside Trail, which connects to Midtown's Piedmont Park, is lined with several thousand apartment units and used by more than two million pedestrians every year. More than 30% of Mailchimp employees use the Beltline to get to work.

Plans for the first phase include a 359-unit apartment building and a boutique hotel/social club. The buildings will be constructed over a 1,200-space subterranean parking podium. The project also includes new street connectivity, dedicated bike lanes, and a 1-acre public plaza.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 11:18 PM

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 12:14 AM

That's one of the most realistic renderings I've ever seen

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta