HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The alleys around properties 1-3 would be closed with the exception of the one abutting the Lamb property 186/187.
I'm surprised that these lots haven't been added to square things off, seeing as the site was for sale..

while I still like this idea, as it's planned I think it's going to age poorly.
unlike the new park on 105 st, which is surrounded by low rise buildings to the S / E / W, this new central park will soon be flanked by three new towers on the east side of 106 st, and by the 2 tower project on 108 / jasper to the SW.
if / when the lots fronting jasper get built up, likely fairy tall with the LRT portal right there, this is going to be one shady park for most of the day..

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:37 PM
Community Guy

Lamb is for sale, but have you seen the price...

There will be plenty of sun.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
It would only be a partial closure to the southern half.
They best leave some turn around circle at the dead ends - going to be a huge issue otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
The alleys around properties 1-3 would be closed with the exception of the one abutting the Lamb property 186/187.
City should buy Lamb property - and sell allow 133 to be developed for large high rise. Allow 133 to see park on what is essentially 3 sides making that a prime development site.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Lamb is for sale, but have you seen the price...

There will be plenty of sun.
and clearly worth it since it's still for sale...

as we all should know, asking price is not the final price. there should be someone at the city capable of making a deal here..
if he really is intent on taking a cut and run from the edmonton market, he should be a motivated seller.
if he's just biding his time on the park making the lot/project salable, why not a swap for an equivalent site W of 107 st?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 3:43 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 8:09 PM

May I ask how and why the park will straddle 107th street? Will the street be closed or will it be converted into a decorative low speed street to compliment the park?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
May I ask how and why the park will straddle 107th street? Will the street be closed or will it be converted into a decorative low speed street to compliment the park?
Of course they will have to silence the traffic and integrate the street scape. Before we know it there won't be a car going anywhere downtown - but then with this City's planning we won't see much office growth downtown PERIOD.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 9:01 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Of course they will have to silence the traffic and integrate the street scape. Before we know it there won't be a car going anywhere downtown - but then with this City's planning we won't see much office growth downtown PERIOD.
The road won't be closed, so no impact on traffic. Integrating it into the adjacent park landscape will be worth it in the long run though (less speeding, more attractive streetscape, as 107th now is garbage).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 9:31 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 9:32 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
There are many ways to connect or integrate it into a continuous space, but with two 'rooms' if you will. Perhaps active recreation is west and the rest is a more manicured green/lawn/plantings/fountain.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
There are many ways to connect or integrate it into a continuous space, but with two 'rooms' if you will. Perhaps active recreation is west and the rest is a more manicured green/lawn/plantings/fountain.
Exactly, distinct rooms that would attract different interest. Fact is it will never be contiguous as one park site. Sports to the West and gardens to the East.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 12:21 AM
Community Guy

Expropriation approved! Now the hard work begins...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 12:26 AM
Community Guy

...and visitors, lunchtime colleagues, families, friends.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 3:46 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 5:14 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 5:41 AM
Urbis Maximus

An excellent decision. Looking forward to this.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
An excellent decision. Looking forward to this.
we shall see. i hope you’re right.

but at the risk of chasing another horse that has left the barn, it’s worth noting that downtown was vibrant without a park here, without a funicular, without a series of jasper avenue revisioning stretches, without capital boulevard etc. although interestingly enough it did have a downtown arena. m
mit also had a year round city/farmers market and an elementary school or two. we took the most attractive family friendly destination we had - the city hall wading pool - and closed it last year because we can’t afford it. $28 million would have gone a long way to upgrading it and keeping it open instead of buying and expropriating a bunch of parking lots that will stay that even if they’re not used for parking (and i guess we’ll see about that) for a decade or two until we can actually turn them into usable park space. by then, everything around it will be developed unless everyone anticipates there will be no development here for decades despite the city having acquired a park site. and if things are going to develop without a park site, why the rush to sterilize these lands and the money used to buy them?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 2:58 PM
DRINK

Can anybody give me the coles notes hoe this in funded?

For any other neighborhood park, the city receives the land free from the developer as part of their MR requirements and the developer funds the park construction. I assume, that their is some sort of levy in lieu (it obviously isn't practical to dedicate MR for tower developers) for downtown developers to contribute to so that the cost is passed on directly to the area residents who will be using it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:03 PM
Community Guy

In this case it will be CRL dollars in play. That said, keep in mind that this park, similar to that of Churchill Square or the Leg Grounds, will be used by people from all over the city, versus say a park in Ellerslie that would be much more of a 5-10mins usage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton