HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 9:42 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Do we have any info on 819 Millidge? Are they removing the church entirely? Renders? Units?
My lips are sealed, until such a time as information is made available publicly by either the developer or the City.

As this is a rezoning and not a Municipal Plan amendment, our first look will likely be concurrent with the release of the PAC agenda in mid-January.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 3:39 PM
New Brunswick booster!

The Telegraph Journal is reporting another business is closing in Brunswick Square. The store is called Lolë and it closes Dec 31st. I'm wondering if something is happening with Brunswick Square and they are being very hush hush? A redevelopment?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 11:36 PM

It does seem conspicuous to have so many closures so quickly, even in Brunswick Square. Then again, it is the end of a year so maybe it's just the timing.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 9:53 PM

I'm sorry to sound like a nag on this, but does anyone have any recent pics(taken in the last 2 weeks) of the former Fundy Line site, just for update purposes? o.o

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 4:24 AM

This is a neat initiative Saint John energy is taking on to be more environmentally friendly while at the same time looking to save money for consumers.

https://huddle.today/saint-john-ener...ave-money-too/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:23 PM
ハルウララ

Via Develop SJ:

COMMUNITY MEETING: JAN 20, 6-8PM @ Parkland Shannex Saint John, 40 Vitality Way

The @cityofsaintjohn & Plaza REIT invite residents to attend a meeting to discuss the future of vacant lands at Millidge & University Ave in Millidgeville.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Via Develop SJ:

The @cityofsaintjohn & Plaza REIT invite residents to attend a meeting to discuss the future of vacant lands at Millidge & University Ave in Millidgeville.

Great News! Hoping for a plaza that'll complement the area and bring good franchises.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 9:24 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Manchester Shoe Salon is closing in Market Square after 26 years.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Via Develop SJ:

I call discount grocery store, like a No Frills. Millidgeville NEEDS a grocery store within it's neighborhood boundaries(Atlantic Superstore on Somerset doesn't count).

Plus, a grocery store there would be a boon for the elders who call Millidgeville home. And also the university students too.

=)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 1:11 PM

Oh 100%. There's 2 retirement homes within a mile and pretty much every apartment complex concentrated around University Ave, there's likely plenty of walkers that would prefer not having to walk to Superstore.

On a side note, Google Maps doesn't show Jean Coutu, didn't realize how new that facility is.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 1:24 PM

Developers of 'The Crossing' project try to address east Saint John flooding concerns

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...-eia-1.5426749

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Developers of 'The Crossing' project try to address east Saint John flooding concerns

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...-eia-1.5426749
I drive Rothesay Road most days, and over the years I've seen a lot of water over both Rothesay Road and Ashburn Road on many occasions because of the flooding from this site. We should have learned about putting developments on flood plains, this is a terrible idea. I hope the City's desire to generate immediate tax revenue doesn't blind them to a project which is going to result in flooding disasters for decades.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
I drive Rothesay Road most days, and over the years I've seen a lot of water over both Rothesay Road and Ashburn Road on many occasions because of the flooding from this site. We should have learned about putting developments on flood plains, this is a terrible idea. I hope the City's desire to generate immediate tax revenue doesn't blind them to a project which is going to result in flooding disasters for decades.
East Point is still 1/2 empty. Maybe developer should fill that up first before looking at additional development.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
East Point is still 1/2 empty. Maybe developer should fill that up first before looking at additional development.
If we’re talking about commercial space, according to the site plans East Point only has 1 vacancy and that’s in the space between Pizza Studio and Gojis.

I understand there’s big vacant land in the complex but it’s my understanding they’re planning that for mix residential commercial. I think I recall them mentioning “The Crossing” development wouldn’t happen until the new buildings at East Point were constructed and filled.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
According to the site plans East Point only has 1 vacancy and that’s in the space between Pizza Studio and Gojis.

I think cdnguys means the big vacant land in between area that Sobeys and PetSmart is in and the area where Indigo is in. This section of East Point is still not developed yet. But they already have plans set for residential buildings with ground floor retail for this specific section of East Point Shopping Centre. I would assume work on it will begin after this winter is over.

Edit: Never mind lol. Just noticed you realized this and edited your post.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 4:49 PM

An Improved YSJ Duty Free Market Re-Opens Early February

http://www.saintjohnairport.com/news...7ie8Beq8bhPlNQ

Quote:
SAINT JOHN, NB – Saint John Airport Inc. is pleased to announce the YSJ Market and Duty Free has been acquired by successful Saint John entrepreneurs, Yan and Yeny Del Valle – effective January 1, 2020.
The YSJ Market and Duty Free is currently closed for renovations as the space is being remodeled to make the layout more inviting for guests. It will reopen in early February, just in time for passengers travelling on Sunwing international flights headed to sunny Cuba.

Once the newly renovated YSJ Market and Duty Free re-opens, all passengers will be able to enjoy a glass of wine, beer, or cider, while waiting for their departing flight post-security. The new owners have partnered with Moosehead Small Batch Brewery to offer Angry Orchard Cider and Small Batch Brews, available in bottles or cans.
Previously only pre-packaged snacks could be purchased in the post-security area, however the new YSJ Market and Duty Free will offer premium gourmet items such as: sandwiches, wraps, salads, fruit & cheese plates, and fresh in-house baked pastries, to be enjoyed in the departure lounge or to take on the flight. Local Java Moose Coffee will also be offered. All food items will be prepared onsite by Connections Bistro, so passengers can expect the same quality and excellent prices.

“We’re delighted that longtime business partners of the airport have purchased the YSJ Duty Free Market,” says YSJ President and CEO, Derrick Stanford. “Yan and Yeny have owned and operated Connections Bistro & Bar and the gift shop located inside the airport terminal since 2014, and they have consistently received top marks in customer surveys by providing excellent service and quality offerings. This expanded service offering will be especially welcome once Air Canada launches their A319 Rouge Jet service to Toronto this Spring.”

The YSJ Market and Duty Free will continue to offer an assortment of snacks, drinks, magazines, travel accessories, and unique souvenirs and apparel from local New Brunswick companies.
“Yeny and myself look forward to delivering superior service and amenities that will provide travellers with an even more enjoyable experience when departing the Saint John Airport," says new owner, Yan Del Valle.

In 2005, Yan and Yeny settled in New Brunswick. Both had moved from Cuba; Yan to pursue his career and Yeny to study Hospitality and Tourism Management at NBCC St. Andrews. They met in Saint John later that same year and the rest is history. With three children, they are now the owners of J Valle Cleaning, Connections Bistro and Bar located inside The Saint John Airport terminal, 14 1/2 Café and Bar located at Reversing Falls, and most recently, the YSJ Market and Duty Free. Yan and Yeny Del Valle were the 2018 Winners of the PRUDE (Pride, Race, Unity, Dignity, Education) AWARDS in the Immigrant Entrepreneur category. Their secret to success is working long hours coupled with their genuine desire to make a difference.

The YSJ Market and Duty Free first opened in March 2017. Owned and managed by Creative Duty Free Shops, it was designed to replicate the historic Saint John City Market and was the first of its kind for New Brunswick. YSJ was the second airport in the province to offer duty free service, and the first to offer a stand-alone, dedicated space for shoppers.

Airport CEO Stanford says, “I’d like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at Creative Duty Free Shops for bringing this unique retail experience to Saint John.”

The YSJ Market and Duty Free is located POST-SECURITY in the Departures Lounge. It is open seven days a week for Domestic and International flights.
Please note regarding Duty Free Shopping that only Canadians travelling outside of Canada who are flying from Saint John directly to an international destination are permitted to purchase duty free items before their flight.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 5:20 PM

The mere fact that they're calling it "highway-centric" should show how bad an idea it is. There's too much ugly vacant land in East Saint John to justify building a whole new power centre next to the highway that won't be remotely pedestrian-accessible, will be a burden on the transit system and will primarily serve KV rather than the city. This project benefits the developer only. Much of the land will inevitably sit vacant for decades while the city pretends to want developers to get things going on the peninsula. This is a bad development with or without being on a floodplain.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:50 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
I hope the City's desire to generate immediate tax revenue doesn't blind them to a project which is going to result in flooding disasters for decades.
For better or for worse, the City (i.e. Council) effectively gave this development the green light several years ago when it approved the necessary Municipal Plan amendment and rezoning. The current regulatory hurdle is at the provincial level as part of the EIA process. At this point, once the provincial permits are obtained there's not really anything left in the way of getting the municipal development and building permits besides market considerations such as securing tenants.

Meanwhile, DevelopSJ (the municipal agency explicitly mandated with generating immediate tax revenue) has quite actively hitched its wagon to the proposal, and is lobbying the province to have the Ashburn Lake Road interchange built ASAP as part of what it calls its "top 3 catalytic development projects".

The full EIA application documents for The Crossing can be found on this page.

Here's a higher resolution version of the current development concept:

Source

We could spend a great deal of time speculating on what the intent of the various building shapes and configurations are, although it's all definitely subject to revision depending on what tenants end up signing on.

You can see that the central portion has actually been reduced quite significantly since the original proposal (below):

Source

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:17 AM

https://vacay.ca/2020/01/vacay-ca-20...banff-is-no-1/

SJ is in the top 20 places to visit in Canada. Nice little write up, and deserved.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:57 PM

Gothic Arches replacement

The proposed replacement is a 7 story apartment block, which apparently is significantly over the neighbourhood planned max. I guess we'll know in a few weeks if it is actually acceptable or not.

Looks like the same "Spitfire Design Co." watermark on this building as the one going up in Freddy too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces