HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 9:35 PM
Closed account

April 8,2016 construction progress on Hyatt Place

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Check out the views from The Aspen in the slideshow:

Treasure Magazine: Inside two Aspen Lofts condos in Downtown Boise
I like those and I would definitely live in one if I could afford it. What is up with the really bland bathrooms though??

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 5:20 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGoodGlavin View Post
Sawtooth... is this the home on Alto Via that's now having slope stability issues?

http://www.ktvb.com/news/local/footh...able/125289826
It is.

The history of Table Rock is fascinating because the Rock and adjoining areas were sacred burial and healing grounds for the Shoshone Bannock Indians.

http://boisebasinhistory.com/Native-...ans-Page-2.php

I've always wondered if the people who buy homes up there realize this.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 5:50 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Is SSP the first outlet that a photo of this was posted? As usual, Sawtooth is 5 steps ahead of everyone else.
Posted Mar 19, 2016
What can I say I probably have my camera with me too often and I live in the Northend and Downtown is part of the neighborhood.

I have been watching this Queen Anne and the progress of the remodel. There are some good things ahead for this neighborhood south of State Street with this and the townhomes going up soon behind the Cabana.

Info from that Boise Weekly article:
http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/boi...nt?oid=3759934

"In other news, a new Italian cafe, gift shop and museum is opening this summer at 1501 W. Jefferson St. The Sturiale Place will be housed in the former Wood House, an 1890s Queen Anne home that was relocated from Boise's Central Addition to 15th and Jefferson streets in November. Owner Rita Sturiale is busy remodeling the space for a projected July 1 opening."

My photo from March of last year when the home was still in its original location in the Central Addition.

Today, April 9 @ Jefferson and 15th Street

Historic beauties adjacent to the Wood House on Jefferson Street.

I should do a thread one of these days of the historic homes and buildings in Boise that have turrets.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 3:29 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
Possible new restaurant on Greenbelt at the wave. There's a Notice of Public Hearing (Garden City) sign at 3588 N Prospect Way. That's one of several vacant lots on the circle at the end of the 36th St Footbridge and just downstream from the wave. It seems kind of small. Hopefully it's an In-n-Out.
Luciano's is planning on building a bistro at the whitewater park on the Garden City side, starting at the end of the year. Parking will be valet, and their building will be smaller than their current restaurant on Orchard.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 3:31 AM

A couple of multi-family developments slated for the vicinity around the North End:

Bogus Basin Road:

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...02241429570870

Jefferson (may have been previously posted):

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...03311617577930

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 4:10 AM
Closed account

Simplot World HQ from the west on Saturday 4-9-2016

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 10:44 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I like how the new residential buildings going up around downtown have retail on the first floor including many that were built during the tenure of the first Boise Development thread.

pedaling for beer on a Sunday afternoon a popular Boise pastime on the day of rest.

I am looking forward to trying out this slide.

The old Bob Rice Ford lot. This beautiful view deserves beautiful buildings when it is built on.

Wanna catch some waves? Not.
I've posted a few Boise River pics in the MW beer thread. More on the way to that thread soon, including the Greenbelt under water.

mmm, Tepanyaki

I noticed this weekend that the cultural district face has an eye ball.after all of these years lol.

The new Broadway Bridge under construction is getting wet.

more random construction photos I've shot this weekend coming soon.

Last edited by Sawtooth; Apr 12, 2016 at 3:51 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 4:32 AM

Boise State Honors College webcams:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/EDR/Boise

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 4:10 PM
All man. Half nuts.

here are a couple of renderings from kivi for the honors college that look slightly different from the original renderings. not sure which is final, but these look more polished:

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 8:41 PM
Closed account

BSU Honors College construction progress from webcam 4-12-2016:

BSU and downtown skyline:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/EDR/Boise

Boise River bank to bank:

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Apr 12, 2016 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 5:43 PM
Closed account

Landscaping has started at Simplot World HQ at 9th. They start moving in Oct.
Mechanical is getting finished on Annex building along with work on greenhouse. Also mechanical screen on top of 9th floor is moving along rapidly.
Simplot webcam photos:

Inn at 500 Capitol working on second floor of six. Webcam photo use given permission by ESI.

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Apr 13, 2016 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 5:50 PM
Closed account

Gardner Company

Don't forget Design Review hearing on Parcel B (Gardner Company) is on tonight's 6pm agenda.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:21 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
Don't forget Design Review hearing on Parcel B (Gardner Company) is on tonight's 6pm agenda.

the pds site has been updated, though the original proposal remains the same:

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=DRH16-00079

looks like plenty of people are opposed to the development. some seem to be disgusted with the ugly, uncreative, uninspired design... others with the size.

anyone attend the hearing? i haven't seen anything in the media yet.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 6:28 PM

Reading through the comments, they're pleasantly surprising. I only read one or two comments that were about "their" lost views. The rest primarily focused on the design of the buildings and the land use of the site. Everyone wanted better/more innovative designs as well as more retail and residential. Very different from typical NIMBY comments.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
the pds site has been updated, though the original proposal remains the same:

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=DRH16-00079

looks like plenty of people are opposed to the development. some seem to be disgusted with the ugly, uncreative, uninspired design... others with the size.

anyone attend the hearing? i haven't seen anything in the media yet.

Any update on potential tenants of the office building?

The only slack I'm willing to cut Gardner on this proposal is that they've landed a tenant that will be truly transformational to Boise and will boost it as a regional tech hub. I guess I could live with an ugly development, if and only if, the company that resides in it will serve to advance the economic development of the region. I'm talking hundreds of employees at salaries of $100k+

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
Reading through the comments, they're pleasantly surprising. I only read one or two comments that were about "their" lost views. The rest primarily focused on the design of the buildings and the land use of the site. Everyone wanted better/more innovative designs as well as more retail and residential. Very different from typical NIMBY comments.
Agreed.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 10:45 PM
Closed account

I went to the meeting, and two of the members were very disappointed about the design. One said it looked like they just threw the buildings on the parcel so to speak.
The whole thing is not pedestrian friendly, as the entrance of the office building is on the parking lot. It sounds like they are trying to save money, as they are building the same office building in Utah. They blamed ACHD for their design, because of all the traffic coming in from the connector. You look at Simplot HQ and their main entrance is on Front, not the interior side. So their excuse doesn't hold water.
It all comes down to money, and what their client wants. They need to put the parking garage off the edge into the middle and build around it to hide the ugly thing. LocalConstruct has design that with their west end parcel.
IMO they should build a office tower at 13th and Myrtle a condo tower at 13th and Front, and a convention hotel across from Simplot all on top of a 2-4 level parking garage with retail on all four sides at street level. On top of the garage would be a green space for all three buildings tenants to enjoy. That way there would be people 24 7 on the site with shops cafes etc., and it would not be a dead zone at night as planned.

Here are two mixed use projects from MG2 Architects /Seattle. The parking garage is incorporated so it blends into the whole project instead of being a separate building. The retail along the street are separated from the busy boulevards with wide sidewalks and landscaping. And as I mentioned above the top of the project has a large landscape area with two high rise towers.
http://mg2.com/

This design has the buildings open so pedestrians can mingle, and want to explore the whole area.

Convention hotel idea from same firm:
http://mg2.com/work/hyatt-regency-la...ington/#images

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Apr 17, 2016 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 10:55 PM

Check out this article of "America's hottest construction markets" published Jan 4, 2016.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...s-hottest.html

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:15 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Check out this article of "America's hottest construction markets" published Jan 4, 2016.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...s-hottest.html
Thanks for that. It got me digging. Direct to the source at bls.gov, I found this 2016 data: http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/tabled2.pdf

It's non seasonally adjusted, anyway, looking at the construction data for Feb 2016: Boise has 18.8k const. jobs, more than the rest of the state combined. For fun, compare to Spokane at 11.1k and add in Cd'A at 3.8k for a total greater Spokane at 14.9k. So Boise metro has ~25% more const. jobs than Spokane/Cd'A.

(thousands of construction jobs)
Boise: 18.8
Spokane/CdA 14.9
Reno: 12.4
Vegas: 53.9
Fresno: 14.1
SLC: 35.4
Denver: 92.7 (holy crap) (Is that right?)
Phoenix: 103.2 (wow)
San Diego: 71.4
Portland: 55.7
Albuquerque: 20.2

And in a league of its own, combine LA/LB/Anaheim with Riverside/SB/Ontario 224.9 + 87.2 = 312.1

Oh wait, greater NYC: 354.9

Last edited by boisecynic; Apr 15, 2016 at 3:08 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West