HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 1:04 AM

Lastest From PG

Mr. John Q. Hammons Shares Progress on Embassy Suites Hotel and Convention Center in Pleasant Grove, Utah, near Provo
Mr. Hammons Announces His Plans for Three Hotels Total When Development Site Completed

PLEASANT GROVE, Utah, and SPRINGFIELD, Mo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Bull dozers and dirt diggers will be actively on duty tomorrow at the southeast quadrant of the intersection of I-15 and Pleasant Grove Boulevard in Pleasant Grove, Utah, at the site of Utah Valley’s first Embassy Suites Hotel and adjoining convention center. Mr. John Q. Hammons today announced that Springfield-Mo.-based The Killian Group is the general contractor for the all-suite, luxury, multi-million-dollar project, which represents more than 100,000 gross square feet of meeting space. Several Utah-based subcontractors will collaborate with Killian on the hotel and convention center, both anticipated to open in fall 2009. In addition, Mr. Hammons today announced he expects to build two more hotels within the next one to two years at the same Pleasant Grove development, with the hotel brands to be announced at a later date.

The nine-story, 300-suite Embassy Suites Hotel and convention center and additional two hotels will be owned by Mr. Hammons and managed by Springfield, Mo.-based John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts, the nation’s leading independent builder, developer, owner and manager of upscale, full-service hotels, resorts and suites (www.jqhhotels.com).

“I believe in the growth of Utah Valley. Since we announced plans to develop in Pleasant Grove, I’ve been impressed by the area’s continued economic progression. I see this growth continuing for years to come, affirming my intentions to build more hotels in the area,” said Mr. Hammons, founder, chairman and chief executive officer of John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts.

Mr. Hammons cited his being impressed by the solid demand generators of Brigham Young University and Utah Valley State College, comprising a combined student population of more than 70,000, and their being steady economic influences in Utah Valley.

Representing Mr. Hammons’ entrée into Utah and located about a half-hour’s drive from Salt Lake City International Airport, the development will initially offer more than 100,000 combined square feet of flexible meeting and convention space for Pleasant Grove and surrounding areas. The unique curvature of the Embassy Suites’ tower (12.5°) will give guests throughout the hotel panoramic views of the mountains to the east and picturesque Utah Lake to the west.

“A project of this magnitude requires immense time and financial investments. The design work alone is a significant time commitment, particularly when collaborating with the best in the hospitality industry. It is an honor to work with a developer of Mr. Hammons’ caliber, and we’re grateful that he selected Pleasant Grove as the home for three hotels and a convention center development,” said Mayor Michael Daniels, city of Pleasant Grove.

About the Initial Embassy Suites Hotel Development

To be built with the signature atrium style of John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts, the Embassy Suites – Pleasant Grove Hotel will boast an architectural style that complements the design of the convention center. The hotel will feature a variety of amenities for both business and leisure travelers, while the décor will emit a contemporary flair that invites guests to enjoy the exceptional appointments and outstanding customer service that defines the John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts and the Embassy Suites Hotels brands.

Beautifully decorated to make guests feel at home, each guest suite will feature a private bedroom and spacious living room which will be equipped with two televisions, refrigerator, wet bar, microwave oven, coffee maker, two telephones with data ports, high-speed Internet access, spacious work desk and in-room safe boxes. Guests may enjoy a luxurious open atrium with a water feature. The hotel will offer 24-hour room service, same-day dry cleaning, and daily cooked-to-order breakfast. Other features include a fitness center, indoor pool, sundeck, and therapeutic spa treatments at the full-service Spa Botanica.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 1:13 AM

Thanks for the update Erector, That's Great News I've been seeing a ton of other work going on and was wondering when the work would begin on the Hotel itself. That is going to be one very developed junction.

John Q. Hammon's, Embassy Suite Hotel

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 5:41 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erector View Post

The nine-story, 300-suite Embassy Suites Hotel and convention center and additional two hotels will be owned by Mr. Hammons and managed by Springfield, Mo.-based John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts, the nation’s leading independent builder, developer, owner and manager of upscale, full-service hotels, resorts and suites .

Sucks that it's now only going to be nine stories when at first it was going to be 12-stories, then 14-stories and now down to nine.
Maybe the other two hotels will be taller.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 4:15 PM

Updated Photo

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 4:21 PM

Hmmm.... so it looks like this is the third and final design for the new Hotel. I wonder what the updated schedule is for the lifestyle center and other components of this large development.

Featured is the nine-story, 300-suite Embassy Suites Hotel and convention center being developed in Pleasant Grove, Utah, by Mr. John Q. Hammons. Mr. Hammons announced he will develop two more hotels at the site. The three hotels and convention center will be managed by John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts. (Photo: Business Wire)

Last edited by delts145; Jun 11, 2008 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Hmmm.... so it looks like this is the third and final design for the new Hotel.

Featured is the nine-story, 300-suite Embassy Suites Hotel and convention center being developed in Pleasant Grove, Utah, by Mr. John Q. Hammons. Mr. Hammons announced he will develop two more hotels at the site. The three hotels and convention center will be managed by John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts. (Photo: Business Wire)

Talk about scaling back. Nothing too impressive here.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 4:38 PM
Bring out the cranes...

What a boring design.I'm sorry but that is the worst design of the three.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 4:53 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Three different renderings and designs of the
John Q. Hammon's, Embassy Suite Hotel

First rendering at 12-stories

2nd rendering at 14-stories

Newest rendering at 9-stories

Looking at all three I got to say what a disappointment. The first rendering I think had the by far best design, but I really like the 2nd rendering of just how tall it could of been. I wish they could of us the hight of the 2nd rendering, but use the design from the first rendering.
The new rendering I think is not only short, but flat and boring. There's no design to it what so ever. It just looks like now these guys are in a hurry to get this thing done. These guys are screwing up to what I think could of been a awesome project.
But what do you guys think? What rendering or design did you like the best out of the three?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 7:31 PM
Wen Lambo

I still hope this thing isnt built

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 9:17 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I don't mind the third one at all. I think for the height change it is simple yet classy. It has some nice smooth lines and it still curves. I imagine that with the eventual addition(if it happens) of the second and third hotels that it will be a nicely designed complimenting cluster of buildings.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 9:20 PM

I agree with Future Mayor. It has a definite curve to it, that I think will translate better in reality than as seen in the rendering

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 6:04 PM
100 days to economic ruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
I still hope this thing isnt built

Sorry Wasatch, It looks like it's full steam ahead.
Embassy Suites Hotel and Convention Center Under Construction
by PR or Business News Wire
Bull dozers and dirt diggers were on duty yesterday at the site of Utah Valley’s first Embassy Suites Hotel and adjoining convention center in Pleasant Grove. John Q. Hammons announced that Springville, Mo-based The Killian Group is the general contractor for the all-suite, luxury, multi-million-dollar project, which represents more than 100,000 gross square feet of meeting space.
Several Utah-based subcontractors will collaborate with Killian on the hotel and convention center, both anticipated to open in fall 2009. In addition, Hammons announced he expects to build two more hotels within the next one to two years at the same Pleasant Grove development, with the hotel brands to be announced at a later date. The nine-story, 300-suite Embassy Suites Hotel and convention center and additional two hotels will be owned by Hammons and managed by Springfield, Mo.-based John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 7:40 PM
Wen Lambo

(keeping fingers crossed for a Boise Tower type situation)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 11:06 AM

Work gets under way on Embassy Suites

Deseret News

PLEASANT GROVE — Work has begun at the southeast quadrant of I-15 and Pleasant Grove Boulevard on Utah Valley's first Embassy Suites and adjoining convention center.
The project is an all-suite, multimillion-dollar project with more than 100,000 square feet of meeting space and is expected to open its doors in the fall of 2009.

The hotel will be nine stories and have approximately 300 guest suites along with the large convention center. The development will be managed by John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts.

Hammons also recently announced plans to build two more hotels near the same Pleasant Grove development within the next two years. The brands for the additional hotels will be announced at a later date.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 4:23 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:

I'm not sure if I would go far on wishing that. Sure the hotel project isn't as impressive as it could of been. But just having a hole in the ground like the Boise Tower would be worst.
My understanding was that downtown Provo would be getting a convention center as well.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 7:10 PM

The reality is that Northern Utah Valley is becoming its own hub. Nothing is going to change that whether we like it or not. Provo/Orem will retain a certain prominence for the Valley in the near future because of BYU/UVU and being the county seat, but the real focus of Provo as a more influential hub will come as the southern portion of the Valley continues to expand even more. We still need to add some more people in down around Springville, Spanish Fork, Payson etc. There's a lot of room for growth in the southern portion of the Valley, from Springville to Nephi.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 9:26 PM
Wen Lambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Work gets under way on Embassy Suites

Deseret News

PLEASANT GROVE — Work has begun at the southeast quadrant of I-15 and Pleasant Grove Boulevard on Utah Valley's first Embassy Suites and adjoining convention center.
The project is an all-suite, multimillion-dollar project with more than 100,000 square feet of meeting space and is expected to open its doors in the fall of 2009.

The hotel will be nine stories and have approximately 300 guest suites along with the large convention center. The development will be managed by John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts.

Hammons also recently announced plans to build two more hotels near the same Pleasant Grove development within the next two years. The brands for the additional hotels will be announced at a later date.

I saw the machinery moving stuff around when I drove over to AF today...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 3:07 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
... or a Mecham Developments situation.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 4:53 PM

you know, to me, provo has always been the ugly step sister in peoples minds. everytime i went anywhere, i always ran into folks that wondered, "how do you LIVE there?!?!" kind of got old after awhile.

so, along with wasatch, i don't want to see this development go through. but my reasons are more sinister and negative. my reasons are more out of spite than seeing it built. i don't want to see PG have more glory than my little provo! see, childish, i know...i wish they'd come down to provo and help the downtown area develop and make provo a little prouder than it's reputation would suggest.

in my mind, realistic or not, it seems to be that hammond will go ANYWHERE but provo! they must have REALLY pissed him off! remember when he wanted to build the same development in riverwoods? provo told him that hsi hotel reached beyond the height limitation for the area and told him to go downtown and his hotel could be as big as he wanted! but, he went to orem and the hotel fell through.

i just wish i would one day see the day when provo was a little more respected in the greater utah/west population. and this hammond development doesn't do that for me.

on the other hand, people from other areas don't realize PG is NOT part of provo. to them provo is anything NORTH of NEPHI and SOUTH of POINT OF THE MOUNTAIN. almost like little suburbs.

when i was living in salt lake city, i was CONSTANTLY asked what part of provo i was from. i looked at them bewildered and said, "um...by the freeway." they'd respond, "Oh! my sister lives in the orem part of provo." or, "my brother lives in the american fork part of provo."

but to me, there is a HUGE difference! just wish provo would get on the ball and get some of those PLANNED highrises to come to fruition!!

dang, now im sad....

poodledoodledude

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 7:26 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Poodle, I understand what you are saying about referring to most of Utah County as Provo, when it's other people from the Wasatch Front or Back referring to Orem as Provo that is lame. Out of towners I can totally understand referring to it in that way or UT county residents to out of towners.

It's the same thing with SL County, when referring to where they are from to those not from the Wasatch Front I would imagine that most people simply say I'm from Salt Lake City, even if they actually live in Midvale or S. Jordan etc.

Don't be offended poodle, I love Provo's downtown. While I don't visit often, I don't really have a need, I do like how it has and is developing. It has character and charm that a lot of places don't have. Plus it has some taller buildings and a corporate presence mixed in with the historic charm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West