HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 4:32 PM

I guess I was referring to both cities. If VIA is allowed to use the Mount Royal tunnel as part of the HFR, that will already be an improvement over the status quo. Widening the MRT would be much cheaper than a new tunnel and station under downtown.

In Ottawa, service goes to TO and to MTL. There is no through traffic otherwise, as in Montreal, so it doesn't matter much in terms of timing. We could terminate at Union and then back-track to the main tracks.

I'm not suggesting we do this any time soon. The Senate will use Union for 10+ years. Eventually, we might need commuter rail service to support the (by then) overcapacity LRT lines. Maybe in 15-20 years, we can start considering commuter rail and VIA service to Union.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 1:14 PM

Spending billions to sabotage any HSR or even HFR future, save some customers 5 minutes and inconvenience most customers makes little sense to me.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 2:37 PM

These would be projects that could come after the HFR (or HSR) is completed.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
These would be projects that could come after the HFR (or HSR) is completed.
So you would add at least 20 minutes to the Toronto Montreal trip.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
So you would add at least 20 minutes to the Toronto Montreal trip.
The Toronto-Montreal trip doesn't go through Ottawa. A train from Toronto to Ottawa becomes train from Ottawa to Toronto. Same concept with Montreal-Ottawa trains will become a Ottawa-Montreal train.

There is no reason why a Toronto-Montreal train would ever detour through Ottawa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qu%C3%...idor_(Via_Rail)

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:
The Toronto-Montreal trip doesn't go through Ottawa. A train from Toronto to Ottawa becomes train from Ottawa to Toronto. Same concept with Montreal-Ottawa trains will become a Ottawa-Montreal train.

There is no reason why a Toronto-Montreal train would ever detour through Ottawa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qu%C3%...idor_(Via_Rail)
Good Day.

Oops..... the proposed VIA HFR is a single, direct, almost totally VIA unique (for most of the distance) corridor - Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal. No detours - straight through. This allows an upgraded RoW, with fewer level-crossings, smoother curves, and higher standard speeds (not HSR - yet - but certainly leading to enabling it, eventually).
Ottawa and approaches is and would be a straight-through, as it is now.
Your map is the existing, shared, corridor, which would be retained in VIA's plans as a re-oriented service hubbed out of Kingston and running the river edge and lakeshore to Montreal and Toronto and Ottawa, with more stops and service to all those communities.

The only question, since there is still a sufficient lack of detail in the published reports, is the in-and-out RoW of Toronto and Montreal, and the related stations (existing or new).

IMHO,

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 7:01 PM

I didn't know that, thanks.

I feel that's a very inefficient route. Imagine how much time would be saved if they by-passed Ottawa for the TO-MTL trip. It would have been fine if it were high speed rail, but it's not good enough for high frequency.

This could be a huge legacy project for the government, instead you have VIA Rail trying to find a project that balances improved service with cost effectiveness, which results in something better than what we have but still miles away from what it needs to be. And it's still not guaranteed.

The Feds should have stepped up and drafted a plan for a proper electric high-speed rail to serve the busiest rail corridor which would have resulted in huge gains for the environment by taking cars off the highways (resulting in a traffic reduction) and planes out of the sky.

I suspect that the airlines are probably to blame. They are probably lobbying the Feds hard to prevent any sort of rail service improvements.

Here's the HFR map from 2011.

http://www.cat-bus.com/2016/10/via-t...regional-rail/

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:

I feel that's a very inefficient route. Imagine how much time would be saved if they by-passed Ottawa for the TO-MTL trip. It would have been fine if it were high speed rail, but it's not good enough for high frequency.

This could be a huge legacy project for the government, instead you have VIA Rail trying to find a project that balances improved service with cost effectiveness, which results in something better than what we have but still miles away from what it needs to be. And it's still not guaranteed.

The Feds should have stepped up and drafted a plan for a proper electric high-speed rail to serve the busiest rail corridor which would have resulted in huge gains for the environment by taking cars off the highways (resulting in a traffic reduction) and planes out of the sky.

I suspect that the airlines are probably to blame. They are probably lobbying the Feds hard to prevent any sort of rail service improvements.
Good Day.

Best I can do for you quickly for maps/diagrams is refer you back in this thread to roger1818 posts ; pg.53 , no.1043 ; pg.52 , no.1037 : for T-O-M and Kingston hub.

As for the route - not so inefficient as you might suppose. The Greyhound/Voyager Ottawa-Toronto takes highway 7 (mostly, with dipsies, but you get the drift). They would not if it was so inefficient. And trucks. And others. It is busy enough, and for a dedicated rail RoW, I think it is shorter and faster. Certainly VIA presents it as faster, and that is not just due to faster speeds.
And - biggie - gets VIA out of the CN and CP main freight corridors (not completely, but significantly) !

As for balances.... that's always the case. Nothing is ever perfect. You, we, they, take what we can get, and in this case it is a RoW that is basically highly available right now.

As for a legacy project by the Canadian Gov't, go back through Justin, through Harper (many promises, no product), through Chretien, and on back, through obstacles and lawsuits and objections, from provincials and private, through lobbyists galore (as you mention) airlines, bus lines, others .... Whoosh.
I congratulate VIA for cutting through all that to come up with a proposal that seems to have gotten farther than ever before, probably by making some compromises on route and costs, in order to get it here and now. It might have a viable chance, and it certainly gives future possibilities, by making reservations and choices now, when nothing previous has ever gotten here.

It may represent the last, best hope for......

IMHO.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:

Here's the HFR map from 2011.

http://www.cat-bus.com/2016/10/via-t...regional-rail/
As much fun as it is to picture a full HSR network from Quebec City to Windsor, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. Proposals like the one above are not how Canadians approach transportation infrastructure. And I don't mean that in a negative way either. And to explain why, before getting back to VIA rail, I am going to deviate for a moment.

If you look across Canada probably the biggest transportation project that is underway is the twinning of Highway 1 from Kamloops to the Alberta border. I could go back much further in history and talk about the evolution of the Trans Canada Highway since the 1960's, but this one section will serve the purpose.

For those that don't know, in the early 2000's most of this section of highway, which is 440km in length (337 under provincial control, and 103 under Parks Canada control) was a 2 lane highway, save the odd urban section, and areas with passing lanes. Upgrading it to 4 lanes is a massive, multi decade long project. Some sections are somewhat straightforward, and others, such as the final phase of the Kicking Horse Pass, will cost $110 million/km over a 4 km section.

The reason I bring this up is because having just come back from a Winnipeg to Vancouver, and back, road trip, and having driven the Trans Canada on the way back, I have been reflecting on the changes I have seen in just 5 years, and the plan itself. While there are some sections that will have grade separated interchanges, many (for local roads with limited traffic but still require access to the highway), will be at grade, protected intersections. When it comes to the towns along the way, the highway will still go through them, with traffic lights and all, albeit with a better attention to detail for accommodating local and thru traffic. There are likely to be only a limited number of tunnels, if any, being constructed.

Some observers might think this is them cheaping out. That instead of building a freeway through the Rockies, Canada has once again failed to think big. But in fact, I would say the exact opposite.

The plan for the Kamloops to Alberta section is a brilliantly programatic and Canadian plan. By not using tunnels. By not spending hundreds of millions trying to bypass towns along the way. By saving money using protected, at grade intersections where traffic volumes using them might only be a few dozen vehicles an hour, they can balance increasing the speed and safety of highway, without spending many billions extra. It also maintains easy access to the highway for local towns and communities. And it allows drivers to still enjoy a staggeringly beautiful drive (if you have never driven through the Rockies in the winter, either via the Trans Canada, or Highway 3, I would strongly recommend you do it).

Now, how does this relate to VIA?

There have been several failings of previous HSR plans. To start with, they don't take smaller towns and cities into consideration. They don't even appear on maps. They bypass them like they are nothing. Or they propose stations outside the city limits, and assume people will be okay driving further to get to a rail station.

Two, they are big and grand and assume an all or nothing approach. This isn't something Canadians have ever really done. You could very easily argue that upgrading Highway 1 from Kamloops to Alberta is such an important project that it should all be done as quickly as possible. But instead, it is being doing over time, in a way that bring incremental benefits, consults communities, and considers the full impact of design decisions. Yes, there is an overall grand plan, but it isn't necessary for it to happen all at once.

Three, they make incorrect assumptions that speed is everything. Sure, the fact that a train can go 300km/h faster will make a trip quicker (if you are going to one of the few places to actually see the service). But trips are door to door. Someone in Barrhaven looking to go to Toronto now saves just under an hour of travel time by using Fallowfield since they don't have to drive out to Tremblay Station, and they don't have to backtrack to their starting point on the first leg of the trip. All that time savings just from a $5 million station being built near them.

In short, the HSR plans haven't been pragmatic or Canadian in their approach.

And that is why HFR is actually a great start to better passenger rail service. It doesn't exclude building a dedicated passenger rail line in the Lakeshore corridor. It actually helps that possibility by combing several projects (upgrading Smiths Falls to Ottawa to Coteau(ish), and service to Peterborough), will filling in a gap between Smiths Falls to Peterborough to provide a new route for service to Ottawa. It means they don't have to spend money on CN infrastructure to try to increase, or even just maintain existing Lakeshore service. It is a precursor for more ambitious investments in passenger rail.

Upgrading the Lakeshore corridor (meaning building a dedicated passenger line from Montreal to Toronto), is going to be a project that is basically equivalent to the Highway 1 upgrade in BC. Some sections will be straightforward, where there is flat terrain, low populations, and existing corridors with straight geometry. Others will be very challenging, such as Belleville to Oshawa where the terrain is hilly, and where it is very well inhabited, both in the cities along the way and the countryside. It will need to be done in phases. And it will have to take into consideration how to serve those smaller towns and cities along the way.

Canadians seem to be, for the most part, pretty neutral about trains. Most don't really love or hate them, and if there was a project that made taking them more convenient, and makes smart economic sense in terms of travel cost versus a car or plane, you could easily get support for it. And while airlines might not like the idea of HSR taking away some short haul traffic, their ability to hold back rail expansion is not particularly strong. The GTAA has more power to push rail expansion forward, and we have seen how much their view of that has changed in just a couple years.

The problem isn't that people don't get what people have envisioned. It's that the past plans proposed don't get what people actually want. HFR is getting decent support overall. And if someone is able to propose a good, Canadian, plan for the Lakeshore corridor in the next 5 or 10 years, I am sure it would have no problem moving forward.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 9:39 PM

^

I think that is actually the problem with the Peterborough plan. It cannot be readily broken unto useful phases can can be done incrementally.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
^

I think that is actually the problem with the Peterborough plan. It cannot be readily broken unto useful phases can can be done incrementally.
Why not? You can open the section from Peterborough to Toronto on its own with a handful of trips each day (and start building up the market for rail travel in that city). Anything done on the Smiths Falls to Coteau(ish) line can be used right away by the existing services (and you can further break it down as well into Central Station to Fallowfield, Fallowfield to Smiths Falls, etc). Then you have the Smiths Falls to Peterborough section come online last. True, your not getting the full benefit of the line until it’s all done, but you can still phase to gain improvements incrementally.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRenton View Post
Why not? You can open the section from Peterborough to Toronto on its own with a handful of trips each day (and start building up the market for rail travel in that city). Anything done on the Smiths Falls to Coteau(ish) line can be used right away by the existing services (and you can further break it down as well into Central Station to Fallowfield, Fallowfield to Smiths Falls, etc). Then you have the Smiths Falls to Peterborough section come online last. True, your not getting the full benefit of the line until it’s all done, but you can still phase to gain improvements incrementally.
Firstly, Toronto-Peterborough is one of the most complicated and expensive parts of the proposed line. There is no obvious routing from Downtown to Agincourt and likely involves complicated and expensive grade separations (note the Metrolinx study a decade ago for potential GO service).

Secondly, you can’t run the HFR service in any of those scenarios. At best you’re spending a lot of money to run sort of rump service that will attract little ridership.

It might be possible to have some of the Ottawa-area improvements as a “phase 1” but those improvements would hardly be noticeable.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 1:34 PM

Here's a 9 minute presentation about the HFR from 2016. They explain why they're shifting their attention to HFR as opposed to HSR, why it's the better solution now and compares with similar service in other populous corridors.

Video Link

The biggest issue I have with this project is that it uses diesel power, again. If we are truly serious about helping the environment, this system should be electric.

In any case, this will be a major improvement to the status quo. This brings a significant increase in speed and frequency. Ottawa might not have a downtown station, but at least our suburban station now has a proper rapid transit connection.

I'm really hoping the Feds are ready to hand over the necessary funds for this project, including the Mount Royal tunnel widening and, hopefully, electrification.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
While I wouldn't rule out the former M&O Subdivision, I don't think VIA plans to use it anytime soon. If you look closely at the HFR map, they have a station in Alexandria (not on the M&O Sub) yet Coteau is not an HFR station, but a new station, Dorion, is. I beleive they plan to avoid the congestion by switching to CP's Winchester Subdivision in de Beaujeu (just north of Coteau). My guess is they hope to acquire the Winchester Sub. east of the junction and let CP use the Alexandria Sub south of the junction to divert CP's trains to CN's Cornwall Subdivision. VIA and EXO would then share the Winchester Sub (east of de Beaujeu), and CN and CP would share the Cornwall Sub (east of Coteau).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHrenetic View Post
Good Day.

Best I can do for you quickly for maps/diagrams is refer you back in this thread to roger1818 posts ; pg.53 , no.1043 ; pg.52 , no.1037 : for T-O-M and Kingston hub.
I don't quite understand that map. Yellow is HFR and blue is continued regular service for the seaway cities and towns? And how is Kingston a hub?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Firstly, Toronto-Peterborough is one of the most complicated and expensive parts of the proposed line. There is no obvious routing from Downtown to Agincourt and likely involves complicated and expensive grade separations (note the Metrolinx study a decade ago for potential GO service).

Secondly, you can’t run the HFR service in any of those scenarios. At best you’re spending a lot of money to run sort of rump service that will attract little ridership.

It might be possible to have some of the Ottawa-area improvements as a “phase 1” but those improvements would hardly be noticeable.
I disagree that the improvements from Smiths Falls to in around Coteau wouldn't be noticeable. The trip from Smiths Falls to Ottawa can vary as much as 14 minutes (43 minutes is the fastest time, 57 minutes is the slowest, and around 51 minutes is the average). The fastest train gets into Ottawa at 23:16, so most people will never see a trip that fast. For Ottawa to Montreal the trip can vary from 1 hour 50 minutes, to 2 hours 14 minutes, a 24 minute variance (I know part of the travel time to Montreal could be affected by the inner city section, so I am not discounting the affect that has).

If the upgrades can bring all trips down to the current fastest travel time, that will be a noticeable improvement. The upgrades may even allow for some travel times to decrease even beyond the fastest trips today. And you have the ability to increase frequency from Montreal to Ottawa. And, there could be the extra benefit of increased safety if grade separating the last 5 level crossings in Ottawa is included. Those are all very positive benefits of that phase.

Sure, the full HFR vision cant start until it is all completed. But this is also not an overly complex project. It is not as though it will take 10 years to construct the line. Once the first shovel is in the ground it could be up and running in 3 - 5 years, maybe even a bit less. (The exception to that is the Montreal to Quebec City north shore route, which for reasons that have been well discussed here, is dead in the water until the situation in Montreal is figured out).

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 2:33 PM
Still optimistic

Kingston would be a hub since it would be the terminating point for Toronto-Kingston, Ottawa-Brockville-Kingston, and Montreal-Cornwall-Kingston services. Currently, Kingston is just on the way to Montreal, Ottawa, or Toronto, which means that the schedules aren't very well-suited to Kingston's own needs.
- VIA can't schedule a train that leaves Toronto much past 6pm because it needs to get to either Montreal or Ottawa before midnight. But with Kingston as the primary hub, there can be trains as late as 9pm.
- A Kingston hub can also better distribute departures. Although Kingston has a lot of departures on paper (17 per day) , almost half of them (8 pairs) have departures within 15 minutes of each other, followed by gaps of 1-2 hours.
All in all, HFR can lead to better service for Kingston, especially on the ridership-heavy Kingston-Toronto route. Routes like Kingston-Ottawa and Kingston-Montreal are likely to see reduced service since there's not as much ridership. But the trains that they will get will come at more convenient times.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRenton View Post
I disagree that the improvements from Smiths Falls to in around Coteau wouldn't be noticeable. The trip from Smiths Falls to Ottawa can vary as much as 14 minutes (43 minutes is the fastest time, 57 minutes is the slowest, and around 51 minutes is the average). The fastest train gets into Ottawa at 23:16, so most people will never see a trip that fast. For Ottawa to Montreal the trip can vary from 1 hour 50 minutes, to 2 hours 14 minutes, a 24 minute variance (I know part of the travel time to Montreal could be affected by the inner city section, so I am not discounting the affect that has).

If the upgrades can bring all trips down to the current fastest travel time, that will be a noticeable improvement. The upgrades may even allow for some travel times to decrease even beyond the fastest trips today. And you have the ability to increase frequency from Montreal to Ottawa. And, there could be the extra benefit of increased safety if grade separating the last 5 level crossings in Ottawa is included. Those are all very positive benefits of that phase.

Sure, the full HFR vision cant start until it is all completed. But this is also not an overly complex project. It is not as though it will take 10 years to construct the line. Once the first shovel is in the ground it could be up and running in 3 - 5 years, maybe even a bit less. (The exception to that is the Montreal to Quebec City north shore route, which for reasons that have been well discussed here, is dead in the water until the situation in Montreal is figured out).
So TC is going to go to cabinet with a phase 1 that will knock 14 minutes off of trains to Ottawa? Seems like a hard sell to me.

Have you ever seen any significant rail project in Canada completed in 3-5 years in the modern era. We are already 4 years in and nothing has happened. This is by no means simple project and involves significant and complicated grade separations in Toronto as well as finding a way to get from Agincourt to downtown. We don’t know what they’re planning in Montreal, but could involve significant tunnelling.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
Kingston would be a hub since it would be the terminating point for Toronto-Kingston, Ottawa-Brockville-Kingston, and Montreal-Cornwall-Kingston services. Currently, Kingston is just on the way to Montreal, Ottawa, or Toronto, which means that the schedules aren't very well-suited to Kingston's own needs.
- VIA can't schedule a train that leaves Toronto much past 6pm because it needs to get to either Montreal or Ottawa before midnight. But with Kingston as the primary hub, there can be trains as late as 9pm.
- A Kingston hub can also better distribute departures. Although Kingston has a lot of departures on paper (17 per day) , almost half of them (8 pairs) have departures within 15 minutes of each other, followed by gaps of 1-2 hours.
All in all, HFR can lead to better service for Kingston, especially on the ridership-heavy Kingston-Toronto route. Routes like Kingston-Ottawa and Kingston-Montreal are likely to see reduced service since there's not as much ridership. But the trains that they will get will come at more convenient times.
There is already a late train to Kingston. It arrives just before 10 pm and stays there overnight.

I can’t see any way people in Kingston or other Lakeshore communities will see this as an improvement.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
So TC is going to go to cabinet with a phase 1 that will knock 14 minutes off of trains to Ottawa? Seems like a hard sell to me.

Have you ever seen any significant rail project in Canada completed in 3-5 years in the modern era. We are already 4 years in and nothing has happened. This is by no means simple project and involves significant and complicated grade separations in Toronto as well as finding a way to get from Agincourt to downtown. We don’t know what they’re planning in Montreal, but could involve significant tunnelling.
I am not suggesting that is all they go to cabinet with. I was simply suggesting that if that phase of the project opened before the full length of the HFR line then it would still provide noticeable benefits.

As for the timeline, I would say two things. First, the Georgetown corridor in Toronto was around a 5 year project. That was a big project with many engineering works. So yes, it can be done, and with all the work that has taken place in Toronto in the past decade alone, there is a lot of talent and knowledge being built up for rail expansion projects. Second, planning always takes a while. And in this case, the fact that the Montreal situation got much more complicated means that they will need to spend more time negotiating with stakeholders and developing a new strategy. VIA needs to have their ducks in a row on this one. This will be the first really major project they have undertaken in decades, perhaps even since VIA was formed, and if they don't get this right it is going to negatively impact their ability to propose future plans.

And I have no doubt that the situation/solution in Montreal will be complicated and expensive, and delay VIA's ability to launch a new line to Quebec City. Given the mess that exists there it could be 5 or 10 years after the Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto section starts construction before we see any shovels in the ground on that part of the project, if they opt for a long-term, forward thinking plan.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
I guess I was referring to both cities. If VIA is allowed to use the Mount Royal tunnel as part of the HFR, that will already be an improvement over the status quo.
Are you suggesting that trains to Ottawa and Montreal somehow use the tunnel?
I had only ever heard talk of using it for trains to Quebec City. It is trains to/from the west that really have to slow down on approach.

Quote:
Widening the MRT would be much cheaper than a new tunnel and station under downtown.
You are probably correct, but it is even cheaper to use existing track north of Mount Royal and build a new combined station there with REM connections to downtown.

Quote:
In Ottawa, service goes to TO and to MTL. There is no through traffic otherwise, as in Montreal, so it doesn't matter much in terms of timing. We could terminate at Union and then back-track to the main tracks.
As others have said, currently yes but that’s changing with HFR, if approved.

Quote:
I'm not suggesting we do this any time soon. The Senate will use Union for 10+ years. Eventually, we might need commuter rail service to support the (by then) overcapacity LRT lines. Maybe in 15-20 years, we can start considering commuter rail and VIA service to Union.
I’m not convinced VIA would want to use it for their HFR trains. They might use it for regional trains, kind of like what is done in Brussels (all intercity trains stop in Midi station, but you can transfer to a regional train to Central station).

Last edited by roger1818; Dec 27, 2018 at 4:19 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation