HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ Keep in mind that 260,000 sq ft is split over at least two floors and most of the second floor is not really usable space as the floor plate is at a lower height than the mall. Sears also had a lower level, which from memory is mostly not counted in that size but I could be wrong. I believe it had a full lower level and included a loading dock and access ramp. If CF cannot easily lease it out it could have potential for conversion to their premium parking program, especially as a heated indoor space in winter!

Here is the latest Leasing Plan of Polo Park:
https://media.cfretail.ca/Floor_Plan...30b0fe373b.pdf

InTouch is only taking a corner of the 2nd Floor Sears (only 20,200 square feet from the leasing map) Media Reports 40,000 square feet.

In comparable
SportCheck (both floors) take 42,000 sq. feet
Stiches (former Forever 21) take 37,000 sq. feet

The Bay (all 3 floors?) take 212,000 sq. feet

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:04 PM

^^ I know parking is usually hated by most people here but if they say convert the Sears lower level to parking and then do even half the development of the site they have proposed wouldn't that be considered an overall win?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:19 PM

I don't think anyone would care if Polo Park converts the empty Sears basement to parking... it's not like there's an urban fabric to protect there.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 2:41 AM

I don’t think anyone here really has issues with hidden integrated parking ever. Seems like a good use of that space.

Wonder if Polo would try and get some the other basement businesses into the Sears space or mall proper, to fill in the visible space rather than basement you can’t see.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Wonder if Polo would try and get some the other basement businesses into the Sears space or mall proper, to fill in the visible space rather than basement you can’t see.
Other than the bowling alley, Lenscrafters (former Zellers space) and Stitches (been a bunch of things) is there anything left in the basement other that offsite storage? And Lenscrafters and Stitches both have ground level visbility.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:04 PM

I think there are offices and medical clinics down there still?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think there are offices and medical clinics down there still?
Ya there's quite a number of businesses. Bowling alley, hearing centre, chiropractor, law firm, and a few other professional offices.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Ya there's quite a number of businesses. Bowling alley, hearing centre, chiropractor, law firm, and a few other professional offices.
Sportchek has basement space as well. How popular is that bowling alley? I've never been but it seems so poorly advertised. I'm sure the majority of people who go to that mall have no idea of it's existence. There's a small sign by some inconspicuous stairs down that I've never seen anyone ever use.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Sportchek has basement space as well. How popular is that bowling alley? I've never been but it seems so poorly advertised. I'm sure the majority of people who go to that mall have no idea of it's existence. There's a small sign by some inconspicuous stairs down that I've never seen anyone ever use.
I took my kid down there last winter... it was probably the first time I was there in 25 years. It was fairly busy, I guess like with any bowling alley the various leagues are their bread and butter, along with birthday parties and other social functions (not sure if they do glow bowling there).

It does seem a little out of place, though... it's definitely a 1960s amenity. It's one of those things that reminds you Polo Park has been around for a long time.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Other than the bowling alley, Lenscrafters (former Zellers space) and Stitches (been a bunch of things) is there anything left in the basement other that offsite storage? And Lenscrafters and Stitches both have ground level visbility.
Floor Plan of the basement:

Lots of storage, empty rooms, Apple has an 'Office' in the basement.

https://media.cfretail.ca/Floor_Plan...30b0fe373b.pdf

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 7:16 PM

I wonder if some of that storage is whats left of the old theater that under the mall by Sears?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 7:31 PM

The vacant 3,800 sq ft in the basement is likely the old theater.

The age of Polo Park suggests the Sears likely owned their own building at one time so the theater was likely in the mall itself, not the Sears basement.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 8:52 PM

Quote:
The vacant 3,800 sq ft in the basement is likely the old theater.

The age of Polo Park suggests the Sears likely owned their own building at one time so the theater was likely in the mall itself, not the Sears basement.
Yes, both Sears & Eatons owned their own stores for a long period of time and each owned a fair portion of the mall as well.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:07 AM

Was the old cinema at Polo Park a 2-screen facility located near The Bay?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
Was the old cinema at Polo Park a 2-screen facility located near The Bay?
By the Sears, right where Showcase is right now

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 8:03 PM

Harrisons Coffee Co will be taking over the former Davids Tea location in the Outlet mall.

Still haven't seen word if T.Kettle (which is assuming leases for closed Davids Tea locations) will take over any of the other Winnipeg locations. T.Kettle is the same people as Sunrise Records and what they are doing is similar to their badge over of HMV.

Edit: Managed to find the official social media for T.Kettle and confirm they are taking over Grant Park and Shoppers Mall (Brandon). That still leaves St Vital and KP as closed Davids Tea locations.

Last edited by CoryB; Nov 5, 2020 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 1:04 AM

Hudson's Bay Downtown began its liquidation sale this week on I believe yesterday (Wednesday).

Last edited by cslusarc; Nov 6, 2020 at 6:19 AM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Yes, both Sears & Eatons owned their own stores for a long period of time and each owned a fair portion of the mall as well.
That was a standard for most big malls. The dept stores owned their locations and may or may not have taken an interest in the rest of the mall with the developer.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Harrisons Coffee Co will be taking over the former Davids Tea location in the Outlet mall.

Still haven't seen word if T.Kettle (which is assuming leases for closed Davids Tea locations) will take over any of the other Winnipeg locations. T.Kettle is the same people as Sunrise Records and what they are doing is similar to their badge over of HMV.

Edit: Managed to find the official social media for T.Kettle and confirm they are taking over Grant Park and Shoppers Mall (Brandon). That still leaves St Vital and KP as closed Davids Tea locations.
St. Vital mall map shows a T.Kettle opening soon.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:21 PM

^^ Heard that T.Kettle is also coming to KP so three stores in Winnipeg and one in Brandon. The only closed DavidsTea location to not convert is Outlets which is going to be Harrisons Coffee.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan