HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 4:42 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Plus, a typical A&W or Wendy's meal is almost the same price as some of the affordable, tasty restaurants we have in the core / chinatown. Dont get me wrong, I love a good burger meal for around $10.00, but recently I have been making other choices and paying about $11 or $12 instead.
I don't disagree with the rest of your sentiment, but.. a typical fast food burger meal is more like $5-6.

Which of course is why the poor eat so much more of it than regular restaurants. Of course, if money is really the issue, just cook yourself. I can make a pasta meal for under $3 for 2 people.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:24 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I don't disagree with the rest of your sentiment, but.. a typical fast food burger meal is more like $5-6.

Which of course is why the poor eat so much more of it than regular restaurants. Of course, if money is really the issue, just cook yourself. I can make a pasta meal for under $3 for 2 people.
$6? What does that get you these days? Mcdonalds?

Hey, side topic...... why are many of the restaurants in Calgary using styrofoam again?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:25 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
White Castle is a strange beast. Nobody thinks it's good, but it has this weird ability to get its hooks in you....and once you have a few you get this urge to go back for more.
Much like crack.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:26 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
$6? What does that get you these days? Mcdonalds?
Well, yes. A cheap fast-food burger meal.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 9:21 PM

Quote:
$6? What does that get you these days?
If you're ever in Naples, Italy, $6 bucks will get you a pie and a half of the absolutely best pizza in the word. It's ridiculous how cheap it is for what you get (honestly makes NY Pizza feel mediocre in comparison).

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 10:49 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Looks like I'll be able to try out Carl's Jr and Chipotle's when I'm in philly next week. Sadly no white castle though, unless I figure out a way to expense a 2 hr round-trip cab ride to Atlantic City.
Let me know if you want any Philly suggestions, I live there about 1/4 of the year. There is no Chipotle in central Philly, and probably not a Carl's Junior either. There is one in West Philly/University City, but honestly, don't go out of your way for it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
Let me know if you want any Philly suggestions, I live there about 1/4 of the year. There is no Chipotle in central Philly, and probably not a Carl's Junior either. There is one in West Philly/University City, but honestly, don't go out of your way for it.
Did you ever try Gino's when you were there? If so, is it any good?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 10:56 PM
effete latte-lifter

^^ There are better places for a Cheesesteak with less tourists and less racism. It's Philly's Peter's, but with Freedom Fries, unironically on the menu and a THIS IS AMERICA, SPEAK ENGLISH sign... And a horse meat scandal in its past. Pat's, across the street, isn't really worth the line either.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
^^ There are better places for a Cheesesteak with less tourists and less racism. It's Philly's Peter's, but with Freedom Fries, unironically on the menu and a THIS IS AMERICA, SPEAK ENGLISH sign... And a horse meat scandal in its past. Pat's, across the street, isn't really worth the line either.
Peter's, say no more. Gotta give him points for knowing it's English and not American.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:21 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Well not only food but places to check out would be useful, although I've been doing some hardcore research the past few days.
I'll likely check out center city / south east (italian market and such) / north east (liberty north east area), and university city area but not too far west into W. Philly. Unfortunately I'll likely get no more than 24 hrs max during the week to explore, and 1/2 of that will be after 5pm, ie after sunset.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:23 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
I've read that john's roast pork does delicious cheesesteak

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 2:52 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
with Freedom Fries, unironically on the menu and a THIS IS AMERICA, SPEAK ENGLISH sign
That's 110% awesome. You know how people like to travel places and REALLY see what the locals are like? That's the kind of place I love to see.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:21 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
That's 110% awesome. You know how people like to travel places and REALLY see what the locals are like? That's the kind of place I love to see.
Actually most of the locals in Philly aren't racist dirtbags.

Could we not talk about Philly on this board, on that note?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:35 AM

Quote:
After checking out Gino's website, it looks like it might worth a trip just to get a pic of Joey pointing at a photo of him pointing at his English sign.

http://www.genosteaks.com/

Last edited by Ramsayfarian; Nov 5, 2010 at 3:38 AM. Reason: Had to add Joey

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 4:42 AM

Freedom Fries always cracks me up. Had it not been for the French, gaining independence... freedom... from the British would have been a lot tougher.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 4:51 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Actually most of the locals in Philly aren't racist dirtbags.
Of course not, but you have to admit that sign isn't exactly something you'd see in Disneyland. It's what an actual local put up, not what some tourist trap has sanitized to keep us furriners happy. It's also somewhat enlightening to their speech laws, and public perception of freedoms. A sign like that in Canada would very likely result in hate crime charges (even if it's not actually targetting hate at anyone specific). I dunno, it's on the same level as going to a gun range in Florida - do I think most Americans are AK-47 toting nutbags as a result? Of course not.

Speaking of pure awesomeness, Spokane has one really cool place.

Quote:
Could we not talk about Philly on this board, on that note?
We talk about damn near everywhere else here. It might start to get complicated if we have to retain mental lists of which places are acceptable discussion points.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 5:38 PM
Realtor

CrossIron Mills is hoping to attract more people by offering a free holiday light show, entitled Starlight Symphony.

It starts on Nov 19th, and has 65,000 LED lights. Located inside the mall between La Senza and Forever XXI.

Last edited by AB Born; Nov 5, 2010 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 5:42 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
CrossIron Mills is hoping to attract more people by offering a free holiday light snow, entitled Starlight Symphony.

It starts on Nov 19th, and has 65,000 LED lights. Located inside the mall between La Senza and Forever XXI.
How are they going to make it snow?? What is a light snow? lol

That would be cool to see that light show. I was obviously kidding in the questions above. I just read it the first time and was confused.....lol

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 7:54 PM
Realtor

Quote:
How are they going to make it snow?? What is a light snow? lol

That would be cool to see that light show. I was obviously kidding in the questions above. I just read it the first time and was confused.....lol
LOL, thanks for catching that.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 8:03 PM
Home of Hyperchange

You couldn't pay me enough to go into CIM or Chinook during the month of December.

Thankfully I've gotten over my mindless consumer upbringing, so it's a non-issue anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy