HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 27, 2022, 11:48 PM

As long as electricity consumption is more than zero, sooner or later population growth will outpace efficiency. It'd be smart to begin looking at additional capacity while we've got a surplus.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
turning off lights when nobody is there, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
According to my children, this is one of the most onerous and demanding tasks known to humanity.
do lights even matter with now with LEDs? street lighting uses the most in cities that haven't gone to LEDs

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 5:37 AM

Last edited by Changing City; Feb 28, 2022 at 5:43 AM. Reason: pic too big!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
do lights even matter with now with LEDs? street lighting uses the most in cities that haven't gone to LEDs
In BC, Street lighting will change to LEDs in the near future. BC Hydro own more of the provinces's streetlights than any municipality.

Homes will too, although not 100% until owners choose to change some fittings. So once lights are mostly LED, then turning them off when they're not actually needed is the next move to save energy. That's why the lights in the freezers in some supermarkets (Urban Fare and Choices for example) only turn on when people are around. That technology exists in offices too, but not in many homes.

It's all a bit different from when BC Hydro deliberately used to leave all the lights on at night in their Burrard Street headquarters. [source]

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
According to my children, this is one of the most onerous and demanding tasks known to humanity.
I installed smart switches around my place. Even some motion sensors.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
As long as electricity consumption is more than zero, sooner or later population growth will outpace efficiency. It'd be smart to begin looking at additional capacity while we've got a surplus.
Sure. So far BC Hydro isn't raising any alarms. I'll wait for them to worry...

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 3:10 AM

I watched an interesting documentary on the transition of Australia’s grid to green generation. I know it is a different continent with a different environment, but it was still fascinating, and some of the ideas are certainly transferable.

I watched it on Kanopy (free with my library card), but I noticed that it also available on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s website.

https://www.kanopy.com/en/product/12095894
Or
https://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/the-...uture/13491654

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 6:11 AM

i dont know how relevant that would be to BC since we are like 98% renewable and have been since the 1960s.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
i dont know how relevant that would be to BC since we are like 98% renewable and have been since the 1960s.
Yes BC’s is, but the Western Interconnection (which BC is a part of) isn’t. To decarbonize that (plus heat and transportation across the region served by the interconnection), will require significant support from BC Hydro.

Besides, I don’t think anyone is under the illusion that BC Hydro has enough generation capacity to supply the province’s needs for the next century, and saying that because BC has always generated hydro so that is all that should ever be built, without considering other options is foolish, so an understanding of the different technologies is useful.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 1:49 PM

BC Hydro’s Chris O’Riley was on the Fully Charged Plus Podcast a couple weeks ago (Episode 161). Certainly well worth a listen. You can also listen to it on most podcast apps.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 10:13 PM

BC Hydro announced today that it is planning a new call for large utility scale electricity projects in the spring of 2024. http://https://news.gov.bc.ca/releas...MLI0036-000941

Quote:
BC Hydro will move forward with a call for new sources of renewable, emission-free electricity to power British Columbia’s growing clean economy and create new jobs throughout the province.

The call is expected to launch in spring 2024.

In addition, the Province is providing $140 million to the B.C Indigenous Clean Energy Initiative (BCICEI) to support Indigenous-led power projects, create economic opportunities for First Nations, and advance community self-determination.

“As we face the threat of a record fire season across Canada, the need to switch to clean power to fight climate change has never felt more urgent. The good news is that from electric cars to electrified heavy industry, British Columbians are taking action,” said Premier David Eby. “To guarantee the affordable power for this important transition, we’re working in partnership with First Nations and BC Hydro to generate more of the clean electricity that British Columbia needs to build our economy, and grow our role as a clean-energy superpower.”

Electricity demand is expected to increase by 15% between now and 2030. This is due to economic and population growth, and as more homes, businesses and industries switch from fossil fuels to clean electricity. In the past six years, the number of electric vehicles on B.C.’s roads has increased by nearly 2,000%.

Updated demand forecasts filed by BC Hydro with the B.C. Utilities Commission today confirm that new sources of electricity will be required sooner than previously expected. To ensurethat it’s ready to procure new power supply, BC Hydro is moving forward with the development of a competitive process to acquire more clean electricity. This will be BC Hydro’s first call for power in 15 years, and will target larger, utility scale projects.

BC Hydro will only acquire 100% clean, renewable electricity, including wind and solar. The call for power process will be designed by BC Hydro and the Province following engagement with First Nations, industry and stakeholders. The engagement will include development of options regarding minimum requirements for Indigenous participation in new projects. The newly formed BC Hydro task force will also provide strategic advice.

The BC Hydro task force draws on further Indigenous and external energy experts to provide strategic advice on advancing Indigenous ownership and/or equity interest opportunities. The task force has three key priorities:

speed of permitting and delivery;
oversight to protect ratepayers and enable economic and climate priorities; and
identifying, enabling and accelerating economic opportunities.
Over the next 12 months, the task force will focus on identifying and implementing short- and medium-term actions that can advance these priorities.

“First Nations are key partners as we work to power B.C.’s growing clean economy with clean, renewable electricity,” said Josie Osborne, Minister of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation. “Funding for the B.C. Indigenous Clean Energy Initiative will open up new opportunities for First Nations in clean-energy projects, including wind and solar, create local jobs, and support Indigenous self-determination.”

The Province’s $140 million contribution to the BCICEI will support smaller Indigenous-led power projects that may otherwise not be competitive due to their smaller size.

The BCICEI is a clean-energy funding partnership between the Province of British Columbia, the Government of Canada, and the New Relationship Trust. It provides support and capacity-building funds to First Nations communities toward the planning and implementation of clean-energy projects. The BCICEI is administered by the New Relationship Trust, an Indigenous-led non-profit organization that delivers federal and provincially funded programs in support of Indigenous capacity development and reconciliation.

BC Hydro expects to initiate a call for power in spring 2024 in order to acquire new sources of electricity as early as 2028. This may be followed by subsequent calls as the transition to clean energy continues to accelerate, and BC Hydro requires additional resources in order to electrify B.C.’s growing economy and meet the province’s climate targets.

Quote:
Updated demand forecasts indicate the need to acquire about 3,000 gigawatt hours per year of new clean or renewable generation, starting as early as 2028 – or the equivalent of enough electricity to power 270,000 homes. The first call for power is anticipated in spring 2024.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 10:26 PM

(slow chant) S-M-R, S-M-R, S-M-R...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 10:45 PM

Quote:
As a nuclear power enjoyer, I'm sorry to say that BC is just not the right place. Hydroelectricity is orders of magnitude better than the best nuclear energy plants. It's pretty much the perfect power source and BC is blessed with plenty more opportunity to exploit it. Hydroelectric dams are cheaper to build than nuclear plants, they require far less maintenance and fewer safety precautions, in BC the water supply is continuous and dependable meaning it can support a high base load like nuclear power but the flow can be adjusted at a moment's notice meaning the generators can respond to load peaks quickly and efficiently at a moment's notice unlike nuclear power, and it's basically infinitely renewable forever without any need for fuel.

Add on top of that the ample wind power BC should be able to produce (for even cheaper, but less dependably), and we should be good for the next few hundred years IMO.

I for one think Vancouver Island, the North Coast, and the Southern Interior are all woefully under exploiting their wind resources. I bet you we'll see a lot of those projects prioritized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthelake View Post
BC Hydro announced today that it is planning a new call for large utility scale electricity projects in the spring of 2024. http://https://news.gov.bc.ca/releas...MLI0036-000941
Also your link is broken.

Fixed link here

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 11:30 PM

Quote:
nope. no nuclear in BC. im not a fan of it being in Washington state.

we have more than enough hydro power capacity. we should be focusing on that. screw solar, wind, etc. i have no interest to see those take off in BC.

i would rather us build underwater high voltage cables as needed.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 11:36 PM

Quote:

we have more than enough hydro power capacity. we should be focusing on that. screw solar, wind, etc. i have no interest to see those take off in BC.

What's wrong with solar and wind power? It seems to me that combining them with our ample hydropower (hydroelectric dams are the most efficient batteries we have) is the dream power generation scenario.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
... Hydroelectricity is orders of magnitude better than the best nuclear energy plants. It's pretty much the perfect power source and BC is blessed with plenty more opportunity to exploit it...
Quote:
... we have more than enough hydro power capacity. we should be focusing on that. screw solar, wind, etc. i have no interest to see those take off in BC....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
What's wrong with solar and wind power? It seems to me that combining them with our ample hydropower (hydroelectric dams are the most efficient batteries we have) is the dream power generation scenario.
Aaaaand we've just used the second-last Peace River location in BC. Pretty sure that after Site E, it's either dams on the Fraser (probably not happening) or some other large power source.

Offshore wind is pretty useful - especially for Vancouver Island - but those sites are few and far between, and onshore wind isn't as productive. And albedo and cloud cover mean that solar in Canada only has 2/5ths the capacity factor as our neighbours down south; ran the numbers in another thread a while back, and you'd need enough panels to cover the entire Site C reservoir to match its output. A few sites in the Okanagan and pumped storage for the dams would take pressure off the main grid for sure, but staking everything on those sounds like the Energiewende all over again. Geothermal so far has been a crapshoot.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 12:25 AM

Quote:

As some point we will exhaust reasonable sites to build Hydro and need to start to look at Nuclear. However that is decades out.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 12:25 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Aaaaand we've just used the second-last Peace River location in BC. Pretty sure that after Site E, it's either dams on the Fraser (probably not happening) or some other large power source.

Offshore wind is pretty useful - especially for Vancouver Island - but those sites are few and far between, and onshore wind isn't as productive. And albedo and cloud cover mean that solar in Canada only has 2/5ths the capacity factor as our neighbours down south; ran the numbers in another thread a while back, and you'd need enough panels to cover the entire Site C reservoir to match its output. A few sites in the Okanagan and pumped storage for the dams would take pressure off the main grid for sure, but staking everything on those sounds like the Energiewende all over again. Geothermal so far has been a crapshoot.

There's tonnes of potential wind and solar sites, as well as small hydro. I don't think nukes are going to be economical here considering how much storage potential there is in BC.

One project I've seen is a offshore project near Haidi Gwaii. Shallow water, and a ridiculous wind resource. A big farm there would be equivalent to a pretty decent sized dam.

There's also a lot of room for windfarms on the foothills of the Rockies up near Chetwynd and Tumbler Ridge. Those areas are very windy and essentially extend all the way up to the NWT boarder.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 12:37 AM

Quote:
There are plenty of other rivers in the province, it's all a matter of which ones we're willing to dam. The Stikine is a great choice on paper however that would probably never get past environmentalists, but the Liard is pretty ripe for development. There's also my favourite hydroelectric project which has plenty of expansion capacity: The Kemano generating station. Why bother with the rise/run of a river, when you can dump water under the mountains directly into the ocean? There are probably other similar suitable sites along the North Coast which can be built.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Aaaaand we've just used the second-last Peace River location in BC.
why do we need to use the peace river? there are so many rivers.

the peace river sites were all identified back in the 50s & 60s. has there been another comprehensive review of potential sites in the last 50yrs? we have so much for water resources and canyons. there will be plenty of sites if we look.

we should not be doing nuclear; we dont need to. as for wind/solar? we dont need it. its not worth the $$$ for the benefits.

hydro comes with a battery that doesnt require replacement, mining, processing in china, etc. its the reservoir. open and close valves as needed. solar/wind are terrible power sources to have. we have the ability to keep our A+ electrical network; wind and solar is the opposite of that that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure