HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininPhx View Post
I was really excited to read this until I saw the kick-ass ugly design. Yowks.
Why the hell would anyone get worked up over the design of a solar structure? It is designed to serve a specific purpose and not to be an aesthetically pleasing piece of architecture. Do you become nauseous at the sight of power lines or smoke stacks? It's baffling. San Luis should just be happy at this investment in their community. If you've been there before, you would realize that they need all the help they need.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 1:12 AM

I'd rather not think about where they're getting all that water.

Hopefully they'll pump seawater up from Mexico, but I doubt it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:04 PM

http://www.thegreatglobe.com/project.html

Planned to be located just South of Casa Grande, this looks like a really cool project that could place a major attraction within our borders. I do like the location in tucked into the mountains although I wish it was closer to either Phoenix or Tucson. I can almost see it being off the 101 in Scottsdale right next to the new Odysea and Butterfly World. However, I do like the thought of the mountains obscuring it until approach. There's also a mention of a monorail riding into the village that is to be constructed around the globe.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:41 PM

I read another article about this somewhere recently (PBJ or AZBEX maybe?). Anyway, I thought it must be near us here in Casa Grande - but they aren't saying officially. How did you come up with that and do you have exact location?

Is it near Picacho Peak? I cant tell exactly from the pictures of the site....

EDIT: I see the reference to south of CG on one of the pages on that website - but still doesn't say exactly where it is - and the site is pretty outdated - but again I did see another article on it very recently so it is still a project.

Found the link to the recent article:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/get...fd681799a.html

More edit: Should have done my own research - its going to be on the Tohono Odham Reservation according to this article:

http://kjzz.org/content/69335/projec...-model-arizona

So that would be basically south of I 8 and west of Arizona City.

2020 is a long ways away though - but I do hope this comes to fruition - might help stimulate some hospitality related development along I 8....

Last edited by sh9730; Nov 28, 2014 at 10:03 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 6:25 PM

Benson Master Planned community 28,000 homes

El Dorado Holdings is one of the major developers that pushed Maricopa.

28,000 homes ... in Benson... that's right Benson.

http://azbex.com/benson-considers-28k-home-development/
http://azbex.com/benson-development-will-move-forward/

"There will be a 20-year period from the start to the end of construction. We’ll build 2,000 a year during good times, 750 in slow times, and there could be 2,500 in hot times."

It appears that they are going to turn Benson into Tucson's Maricopa. I'm assuming mostly retirees and Canadian seasonal/snowbirds.

I think this plan is insane but apparently they are going to try.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 8:36 PM
Skyriser

I couldn't even begin to offer suggestions about what they could do to revitalize the area.

Not only is it off the beaten path of 87, there's not one thing there that invites stopping to walk around and discover something.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I couldn't even begin to offer suggestions about what they could do to revitalize the area.

Not only is it off the beaten path of 87, there's not one thing there that invites stopping to walk around and discover something.
I have a cabin in Pine and drive through Payson on a weekly basis but have never been to their Main Street. In fact, until recently I didn't even know there was a downtown (outside of 87).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 9:07 PM
Skyriser

Yeah, I have been up 87 a bunch of times but never thought to stop on Main.

There's not even a "downtown" in any traditional definition of the word. It's just a street called Main. They could have called it 8th Avenue (as its on the 800 block) or hell 57th Street and there wouldn't be anything different about it.

Payson has never been known for its downtown or its Main Street as much as its been the Walmart or whatever you stop at for supplies. Seems kind of a waste of time to try and revitalize it without anyone building anything there. Reminds me of the quixotic beautification projects Tempe tried in the 1990s on Apache before they wised up and dropped in light rail.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 9:40 PM
Skyriser

Payson has always struck me as a cheap town for leave-me-alone types that want a semirural lifestyle--if those people wanted nightlife and entertainment and tourism and crowds they'd live in Prescott.

The median home value is 2.2x higher in Sedona and 40% higher in Prescott--lots of reasons old people don't want raised home values. They'll never really benefit from selling and they'll pay more in taxes for the same thing every year.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 10:14 PM
Skyriser

I was almost certain cobalt was on its way toward obsolescence in lithium batteries.

Although I suppose as the big players like Tesla move away from it, it just makes existing ore more attractive to mine and process for people with different initiatives.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest