HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 11:55 PM
Calgarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
speaking of 8th street. Has anyone eaten at Ric's Grill? My and I drove past it one day, and he asked me if it was good or not, but I've never eaten there.
Ate there a few years ago. Unless it has improved, don't waste your time or money.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 3:09 AM
Editor

Thanks for the updates on Kawa, Furry. Deville looks promising, is it going to be near Kawa?

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 3:39 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Thanks for the updates on Kawa, Furry. Deville looks promising, is it going to be near Kawa?
Not really- it's downtown, at art central. $500,000 in renos.

Incidentally, the Prairie Regional Barista Championship is this weekend. It's one of four qualifiers (Eastern in Montreal, Central in Toronto, this one, and Western in Vancouver) for the nationals which are in Montreal next fall; the winner of the nationals goes to the worlds, which is in Atlanta for 2009. It's open to the public, and qualifying competition is Saturday, then top 6 compete Sunday- top 3 go to Montreal. And yours truly is a judge on Saturday!

All events are at Fratello Coffee Co, and the schedule and location at their website, www.fratellocoffee.com

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 4:10 AM
Editor

I took Mrs. Surreal out to Vintage tonight, and was really impressed. The steak I ordered was a good quality steak, not the best ever, but very good. What impressed me were the side dishes. Spinach with cream sauce, Baked Macaroni with truffles, and the Seafood Stata. They were all very good.

It reminded my of Ruth's Chris, with the way you get the sides for sharing The prices and even the clientèle reminded me of Ruth's Chris, but the food was much better IMO. It's not the cheapest place you'll find, but a good place to celebrate an anniversary dinner

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 5:14 AM
not a NIMBY

Happy Anniversary Mr and Mrs Surreal!!!

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 6:35 PM
Editor

Thanks!

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 7:14 PM

Quote:
I took Mrs. Surreal out to Vintage tonight, and was really impressed. The steak I ordered was a good quality steak, not the best ever, but very good. What impressed me were the side dishes. Spinach with cream sauce, Baked Macaroni with truffles, and the Seafood Stata. They were all very good.

It reminded my of Ruth's Chris, with the way you get the sides for sharing The prices and even the clientèle reminded me of Ruth's Chris, but the food was much better IMO. It's not the cheapest place you'll find, but a good place to celebrate an anniversary dinner
The Seafood Stratta is quite good. I agree with your assessment though, not the best steak - but definitely up there. I still have yet to go to Ruth's Chris here and give there AAAA Alberta steak a shot.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 8:00 PM
Motorized Hambeast

I had my anniversary dinner on Monday at Vintage. I quite enjoyed it as well. Very tasty steak (but I agree, not the best) capped with blue cheese, and asparagus on the side. Wife had truffled mac and cheese. I missed the horseradish mashed potatoes that I had last time I was there, but it was still a nice meal regardless. And the waiter was very friendly and helpful.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 9:14 PM

Let me know when anybody tries out the recently opened Redwater Grill in Bow Valley Square.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 9:19 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
The Seafood Stratta is quite good. I agree with your assessment though, not the best steak - but definitely up there. I still have yet to go to Ruth's Chris here and give there AAAA Alberta steak a shot.
Ruth's Chris serves US Prime.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Yeah, it's nothing special and you can do MUCH better elsewhere.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 11:54 PM
Majestic

I met up with Aralaus earlier at the Holy Grill on 8th Street and 10th Ave SW. Not bad. I had their Italian Panini with yam fries and can of iced tea for around $12. The high point was probably that the staff are quite friendly.

And, I was visiting my great grandmother again yesterday so I stopped by at Coffee Junkies in Eau Claire again. They didn't have the ingredients for some of the sandwiches I like best, so I settled for a Canadian Club. That with the Cream of Asparagus soup plus a can of 7up goes for around $9.

Flickr

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 4:42 AM
Editor

Quote:
The one here in Calgary has Alberta beef (not sure of the grade) on the menu. When I was last there, one of people in my group ordered it. To be fair to Ruth's Chris, I haven't tried the Alberta beef, but the side dishes are hands down better at Vintage. I've been to Ruth's twice in the states and once in Calgary, and have been underwhelmed each time.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 4:46 AM
Calgarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canlefty View Post
Yeah, it's nothing special and you can do MUCH better elsewhere.
I agree. I didn't think Ruths Chris was good value for money.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of that...but the two Alberta restaurants serve one Alberta Prime ("AAAA") as well. Can't recall what cut.

EDIT: Pulled this from FFWD...so, its a NY Strip:

"Let it be known that Ruth’s Chris primarily serves USDA beef, which potentially could be a sore point with some locals. Have no fear, Albertans — to appease, Ruth’s serves a 12-ounce Alberta prime New York strip ($44) that I am proud to say gives that ounce of butter a run for its money. The Alberta cut was slightly less tender than its American counterpart, but the rich flavour of our local beef is in a class of its own."

Not sure I understand it being "less tender", unless it was cooked differently, or just a different cut. Also, it's tough to sometimes tell the difference between US and Cdn beef anyway...since it's the backgrounding and finishing programs that "can" potentially change the flavour of the beef. It's common perception that all USDA Prime has a "corn" grain mix finished component (and Canada uses a different grain blend, mostly barley), but that's not necassarily the case...it's possible that the US beef isn't finished on corn, and a growing amount can be just grass fed (which, typically doesn't fatten them up as much). Further complicating it, the cattle can be backgrounded here (for first 6 months), and shipped to the US for finishing.

Anyhow - just putting some context around USDA vs Cdn beef, and taste differnces.

Surreal - I agree with being "underwhelmed" by the steak. Not sure what it is, maybe just high expectations since you hear so much about Ruth's. I've only been to the one in San Fran, but my wife has been to both in AB, and she still isn't sold.

One of my favourite restaurant steaks is still the one from The Grill at the TPC Scottsdale, Fairmont Princess.

Last edited by IntotheWest; May 23, 2008 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 3:10 AM
Editor

^Yeah, I ate at one in Anaheim, and one in Atlanta. Both times I was a bit disappointed. While waiting for my dinner at the Anaheim location, a waitress walked past with a couple of sizzling steaks and they smelled great..I thought I had hot the jackpot, but the steak didn't taste as good as I expected.

Not far from the Anaheim Ruth's Chris, there is a place called 'Ballpark', it's right by angels stadium, and the steak was much better there. The best I've had in the U.S.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 3:36 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

You can get AAAA at the Bear's Den- which I've heard nothing but great things about.

We have our own anniversaire soon (#13) and are trying to come up with a resto- I'd like to try Alloy but partner wants The Trough in Canmore... anybody been to either?

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 4:17 AM

^No, but I've heard of the Trough - and either way, be interested in hearing your opinion which ever you decide to try :-)

My wife has tried Bear's Den, and enjoyed it. I think there's a few places that serve Canadian "Prime" (AAAA) now: Vintage, Bear's Den, Ruth's Chris (well, as mentioned, just the NY), and I think Chicago Chophouse serves at least a cut or two of Prime.

Furry, I know I mention it all the time (when I'm on here), but have you tried The Ranche in Fish Creek? I put it up there with River Cafe (which, is still my all time favourite). If the weather is nice, it is a nice setting.

Also, we're coming up on a date night (not as often as they used to be!), but have you (or anyone on here) tried Rouge? Curious if its worth it for us to take the trip.

So many choices now in Calgary and area, really...we went to Divine in Okotoks a few weeks ago, mostly because we didn't want to drive to the city - and I was extremely impressed with the quality (very casual setting though)!

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 4:39 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
^No, but I've heard of the Trough - and either way, be interested in hearing your opinion which ever you decide to try :-)

My wife has tried Bear's Den, and enjoyed it. I think there's a few places that serve Canadian "Prime" (AAAA) now: Vintage, Bear's Den, Ruth's Chris (well, as mentioned, just the NY), and I think Chicago Chophouse serves at least a cut or two of Prime.

Furry, I know I mention it all the time (when I'm on here), but have you tried The Ranche in Fish Creek? I put it up there with River Cafe (which, is still my all time favourite). If the weather is nice, it is a nice setting.

Also, we're coming up on a date night (not as often as they used to be!), but have you (or anyone on here) tried Rouge? Curious if its worth it for us to take the trip.

So many choices now in Calgary and area, really...we went to Divine in Okotoks a few weeks ago, mostly because we didn't want to drive to the city - and I was extremely impressed with the quality (very casual setting though)!
Divine is impressive. Is topped in there a couple of years ago, not knmowing anything about it, and was surprised that a town the size of Okotoks had a place like that.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 4:45 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Do you know anything about this Deville place Furry? (other than the ridiculous amount the are spending on renovating that space. I mean, will the coffee be any good? I don't find walking the extra blocks to Artigiano, but something different is nice once and a while. Speaking of which, it's been while a long time now since I've had a clover from there that I didn't fully enjoy; no more overly acidic cups!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation