HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 6:25 PM

Let's take the weekend and drive up to Lookout Mountain and get a nice wide-angle view of the metro area. Let's start at the top and take a macro-view of things. Ya gotta know where you want to go in order to decide how you should get there.

Here I thought the whole transit vision for metro Denver was to offer an alternative to building 8,10 lane freeways all over the place. Many stretches in Phoenix appear to be 12 lanes but the far right lane is just for merging onto and exiting the freeway and isn't really a thru lane. I was under the impression that Denver metro voters and taxpayers wanted a transit alternative to building lots and lots of freeway lanes?

Denver is NOT like DC, San Francisco, Chicago, etc. when it comes to density. So would bunt or even Cirrus conclude that Denver has screwed up? Have they totally missed the boat by not following more of a sprawl model with its different nodes that spread out the transportation burden which can then be served by building great freeway networks like Phoenix, Dallas, or Atlanta? Or would you just conclude that Denver should have waited another 40 years to see if the city/metro area would get "dense enough" for rail transit? If you want a London effective transit system from day one, shouldn't you wait until you have London density?

Denver could have presumably built a nice urban trolley system and generated even greater ridership numbers than Phoenix. They then could have added all those nice 10-lane freeways to the urban core and 8-lane freeways around the the core for the suburbs?

If by chance, even a long shot chance, Denver's voters decided that they wanted a commuter substitute to building all those lanes and in hindsight it turns out to have been a brilliant decision.... guess we'll have to wait to see.

Denver's chosen commuter system begs the question of how many riders are needed to justify the substitute investment of rail over more freeway lanes. What should the expectation be for ridership at opening and over time?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 8:45 PM

ROIC - or Return on Invested Capital. Risk versus Reward
Even though the analysis has gotten ever more sophisticated, in an ever changing, fast and dynamic world it's still like walking up to the craps table and throwing dice. Eh, I still prefer calling it "Bang for the Buck."

Using TransportPolitic as a source for Light Rail project's costs, this is what I find:
  • Baltimore's pending Red Line will cost $205.7 million per mile
  • Boston's Green line extensions will cost $302.3 million per mile
  • Charlotte's Blue Line extension will cost $124.7 million per mile
  • Dallas's Blue Line extension will cost $92.3 million per mile
  • Houston's East End Line will cost $118.2 million per mile
  • Los Angeles's Crenshaw Line will cost $242 million per mile
  • Los Angeles's Expo Line will cost $227.3 million per mile
  • Phoenix's NW extension will cost $105.4 million per mile
  • Portland's Orange Line will cost $204.8 million per mile
  • San Diego's Mid-coast Line will cost $182 million per mile
  • Seattle's Northgate Link will cost $488.4 million per mile
  • Seattle's South Link extension will cost $239.4 million per mile
  • Seattle's University Link will cost $618 million per mile
  • D.C.'s Purple Line will cost $153 million per mile
Construction costs can vary per mile for any number of reasons but at the end of the day you either build here, over there, or you don't build at all. Not counting the highest cost outliers it appears that an average cost is about $150 million per mile.

Whether or not my cost methodology and estimates are fairly accurate or whether bunt is right in assuming I'm nuts doesn't really matter all that much. If my cost figures are close then RTD has clearly delivered high value projects to the taxpayers. If I'm nuts then RTD's execution is even more remarkable.

Let's assume for the moment that bunt is correct (and he may be) and compare two cities. Let's compare San Diego to Denver. Let's assume that San Diego's new LRT line will have double the ridership as RTD's R Line. San Diego is spending 5.5 times as much money on their line (per mile) as RTD is spending on the R Line. Which city is getting the best Return on Invested Capital?

Let's pose a different question. You have two options. One option is to build one 10-mile line where ridership will quickly be near ridership capacity - very impressive. OR, for the same money, you can build 3 lines with 35 total miles that aren't near capacity - bummer, but have plenty of room to grow ridership. Which option is better?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 4:49 AM
mmmm... infillicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Let's take the weekend and drive up to Lookout Mountain and get a nice wide-angle view of the metro area. Let's start at the top and take a macro-view of things. Ya gotta know where you want to go in order to decide how you should get there.

Here I thought the whole transit vision for metro Denver was to offer an alternative to building 8,10 lane freeways all over the place. Many stretches in Phoenix appear to be 12 lanes but the far right lane is just for merging onto and exiting the freeway and isn't really a thru lane. I was under the impression that Denver metro voters and taxpayers wanted a transit alternative to building lots and lots of freeway lanes?

Denver is NOT like DC, San Francisco, Chicago, etc. when it comes to density. So would bunt or even Cirrus conclude that Denver has screwed up? Have they totally missed the boat by not following more of a sprawl model with its different nodes that spread out the transportation burden which can then be served by building great freeway networks like Phoenix, Dallas, or Atlanta? Or would you just conclude that Denver should have waited another 40 years to see if the city/metro area would get "dense enough" for rail transit? If you want a London effective transit system from day one, shouldn't you wait until you have London density?

Denver could have presumably built a nice urban trolley system and generated even greater ridership numbers than Phoenix. They then could have added all those nice 10-lane freeways to the urban core and 8-lane freeways around the the core for the suburbs?

If by chance, even a long shot chance, Denver's voters decided that they wanted a commuter substitute to building all those lanes and in hindsight it turns out to have been a brilliant decision.... guess we'll have to wait to see.

Denver's chosen commuter system begs the question of how many riders are needed to justify the substitute investment of rail over more freeway lanes. What should the expectation be for ridership at opening and over time?
You're missing the entire land use and economic development piece. If you review RTD's FasTracks plan and particularly DRCOG's MetroVision 2035 plan, Denver's transit system is part of a bigger regional growth management strategy to funnel a significant amount of future growth into urban centers, most of which are located along RTD existing/future rail transit lines or existing freeways that could be served by BRT, buses, or other transit options, and with all urban centers providing opportunities for increased bike/ped and other multi-modal choices. Other goals, such as improving regional air quality, providing alternatives to the automobile, etc., are also important. Reducing traffic congestion or avoiding building new freeways is really a small part of the vision behind Denver's transit plans, but it's the part that the general public and mainstream media typically focus on (and was certainly used to help sell the FasTracks tax).

It will take decades for all of Denver's transit corridors to densify to some perceived appropriate level, but the intent was to change the nature of development and growth in the region for the long-term. When I moved to Denver in the 1980s, new subdivisions and office parks and shopping centers proudly promoted themselves on how close they were to a highway interchange. Today, most new projects talk about how close they are to a transit station. Again, to date we've only experienced a small amount of development directly as a result of transit (excluding the Union Station area) but regionally, the conversation is now different. That new perspective will be increasingly the main driver for growth and development in the region for the next 50 years.

Therefore, to compare current ridership per mile or other metrics between different cities' transit systems may be entertaining and may offer some valuable insight, but the politics, goals, and physical arrangements of different cities' systems varies considerably and a very long-term analysis horizon should be used. I don't know about Phoenix, but in Denver, FasTracks is as much a long-term regional growth strategy as it is a traffic-reduction tool.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Here's hoping. I just don't think that the VA Hospital is going to be a massive catalyst for transit use via patients and visitors. It's a very different clientele spread over a huge geographic area with demographics that skew older than your average hospital.

Anecdotally, the current hospital probably has 2-3 times the passengers using transit vouchers instead of relying on RTD. You've also got a ton of Call-n-Ride use out of the facility. Doesn't bode well for crotchety, old vets suddenly opting to take the train to seek care.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I agree that the VA patients and visitors will not drive much traffic via the colfax station. It is a shame that the station is so close to that particular hospital.

Have you ever sen the numbers for the 15, 15L and 20 around fitz? It would be interesting to see any ridership numbers.

Now that I think about it, the train should have gone right down Colfax from 225 and turned up a Peoria. It could have had a stop between Childrens and the VA hospital and another in front of UCH. They would have had to get a bit creative but I think it would have been possible and would be great for the patients and their families. I don't know if walking from Colfax will be too far to be practical for many people.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 9:44 PM

It's looking like John Beohner's last act before retirng in cooperation with Mitch McConnell will be a negotiated budget deal and federal debt ceiling extension (with the Dems) that lasts til March of 2017. Not sure if this will include a Transportation Bill but it should mean (I hope) that RTD will get their $93 million for the SE LRT line extension which had been in the President's budget proposal.

I knew this was in the hopper but will all the Republican kerfuffle in the House everything was up in the air. Appears the air is settling down and clearing for the campaign season ahead.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubador View Post
Now that I think about it, the train should have gone right down Colfax from 225 and turned up a Peoria. It could have had a stop between Childrens and the VA hospital and another in front of UCH. They would have had to get a bit creative but I think it would have been possible and would be great for the patients and their families. I don't know if walking from Colfax will be too far to be practical for many people.
Both Aurora and CDOT would never allow a lane of Colfax to be taken away, especially in front of Anschutz.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Both Aurora and CDOT would never allow a lane of Colfax to be taken away, especially in front of Anschutz.
There is a small greenbelt between colfax and the campus that could have easily put the train right off colfax without losing any lanes of traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7403.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubador View Post
There is a small greenbelt between colfax and the campus that could have easily put the train right off colfax without losing any lanes of traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7403.../data=!3m1!1e3
And introduce 7-8 at-grade crossings, which both RTD and the PUC don't want.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:56 PM

Does anyone here have a clue what this program really will be? It sounds like a lot of buzzwords and flash, but I honestly have no idea what the $20 million is going to buy?

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...8&t=1445980354
Quote:
CDOT unveils $20M tech program to make roads safer, faster

The Colorado Department of Transportation is committing $20 million in a bid to bring high tech to the state’s aging transportation network.

The project, dubbed RoadX, aims to team the public sector and private companies to deploy “comprehensive technology solutions” over the next 10 years can help make Colorado’s roads “crash-free, injury free, delay-free,” the agency announced Tuesday.

“RoadX isn’t just an investment that we believe is smart with our taxpayer dollars,” said Shailen Bhatt, CDOT’s executive director.

“It is an investment in our time as commuters, our bottom lines as businesses and our lives as travelers on our roadways. It is time for our state to take the leading role in major achievement in travel and in Colorado’s economic future” Bhatt said.
“Our goal is to make Colorado congestion free, crash free, and injury free — and one of the most technologically advanced states in the country,” Ford said. “We can’t guarantee that technology will meet all those goals, but we can guarantee that if we aren’t on the front edge of this, then we definitely won’t [meet those goals]."
RoadX will have an “InnoVisers Council” — co-chaired by U.S. Rep. Jared Polis, D-Boulder — to guide the integration of technology into Colorado’s transportation network, CDOT said.

The agency envisions RoadX concentrating technology on five areas: connection, transport, commuting, safety and integration.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Does anyone here have a clue what this program really will be? It sounds like a lot of buzzwords and flash, but I honestly have no idea what the $20 million is going to buy?

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...8&t=1445980354
From what I understand, it'll be an initial push to try and bring private $$$ into the state to make it a national test bed for transportation-related technology (i.e. connected vehicles, autonomous vehicles, metering...the likes). I'll be at the forum today so we shall see...

$20M won't buy all that much...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 5:53 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

It's seed money for creative solutions. Have to pay for staff and consultant time to start.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 6:43 PM

U.S. Transportation Secretary Foxx Announces $500 Million in Grants
October 30, 2015 - glassBYTEs.com
Quote:
The Department of Transportation will provide $500 million for 39 transportation projects in 34 states, some projects spanning several states, from its Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) 2015 program, according to U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. This year rural areas received 43 percent of the project awards, a higher percentage than any previous year.
TIGER has been a very beneficial and popular program since its creation as a part of the ARRA in early 2009.
Quote:
This is the seventh TIGER round since 2009, bringing the total grant amount to $4.6 billion provided to 381 projects in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, including 134 projects to support rural and tribal communities. Demand for the program has been overwhelming, to date the Department of Transportation has received more than 6,700 applications requesting more than $134 billion for transportation projects across the country.
House Rules Committee to consider $325 billion highway bill
10/30/15 by Keith Laing - The Hill
Quote:
The House Rules Committee will consider a bill to spend up to $325 billion on transportation projects over the next six years on Monday, clearing the way for a potential floor vote on the measure later next week.

The measure, titled the Surface Transportation Reauthorization and Reform Act of 2015, calls for spending $261 billion on highways, $55 billion on transit and approximately $9 billion on safety programs...
Not a done deal but getting close...
Quote:
The bill was approved last week by the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. Lawmakers are trying get it signed into law before a new Nov. 20 deadline for renewing federal infrastructure funding...
There's still details to quibble over but nice to see that it is coming together. To see what the sausage making on this has looked like check out this 90 second video.

With the passage of the recent TWO YEAR budget deal it's looking good that transit will cruise through this time period. This makes sense as regardless who is elected in 2016 the next Congress can only get so much done in the first year. RTD's pending SE LRT extension grant is awaiting the huge Omnibus Bill that must be passed by December 11th supposedly. It should be in there though.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 4:23 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Which city is getting the best Return on Invested Capital?
This is a good point. Certainly lower cost lines can be worthwhile, which is precisely why Denver choose EMU rather than subway for most of its lines (which was absolutely a good decision). But there are several holes in your thinking:

1. Comparing cost per mile to overall ridership isn't right. Either compare overall cost to overall ridership, or cost per mile to ridership per mile.

2. Cost comparisons across cities must factor in several different variables. For example, are costs so high in Seattle because labor and materials are more there, or because there's something about their line that's makes it cost more to build? Or both? If we're talking about what Denver could have achieved for its money, cost comparisons from other cities don't tell us a whole lot unless we much more carefully control the variables. Phoenix is a pretty good comparison because labor & material costs are roughly similar and the lines are 99% on the surface. Seattle isn't.

3. Another variable is the question of what we're trying to achieve with a new line. One mile of core downtown line that the entire system is built around is much more valuable than one mile of outlying park-and-ride track, no matter what the cost per mile is, because the entire system is dependent on that expensive central segment.

4. Future plans for TOD also matter. How much additional density are we going to get around the stations? If 4 stories on one side of a highway is all we'll allow, it's going to be pretty low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive
You have two options. One option is to build one 10-mile line where ridership will quickly be near ridership capacity - very impressive. OR, for the same money, you can build 3 lines with 35 total miles that aren't near capacity - bummer, but have plenty of room to grow ridership. Which option is better?
This depends on many factors. You seem to be assuming the total future ridership potential of option B is higher than option A because it's longer and has more room to grow, but that's not necessarily the case. A park-and-ride line that relies on commuters has a much lower ceiling for ridership than an urban line. If you built 3 lines with 35 miles total, even after 30 or 50 or 100 years you might very well still have lower ridership than 1 ten mile line in a better location. Especially if your stations aren't good at accommodating TOD.

Beyond that, timing also matters to any cost-benefit analysis. Let's say every rider is worth $1 in benefit. Let's say, hypothetically, that your one 10-mile line has 50,000 riders per weekday and 25,000 riders per weekend day in year one, and that ridership stays flat forever (ie no growth).
260 weekdays per year * 50,000 = $13,000,000
105 weekend days per year * 25,000 = $2,625,000
Total = $15,625,000 in benefits each year
Option A over 30 years = $468,750,000 total benefit

Now let's say your 3 lines get 10,000 riders per weekday and 2,000 riders per weekend day for the first ten years, reach 25,000/5,000 for years 10-20, and 50,000/10,000 for years 20-30. Your end ridership is almost equal (lower on the weekends because of commuter-only focus). But your benefits calculation looks like this:
FIRST DECADE:
260 weekdays * 10,000 = $2,600,000
105 weekend days * 2,000 = $210,000
Total benefit/year first decade = $2,810,000
Total benefit first decade = $20,810,000

SECOND DECADE:
260 weekdays * 25,000 = $6,500,000
105 weekend days * 5,000 = $525,000
Total benefit/year second decade = $7,025,000
Total benefit second decade = $70,025,000

THIRD DECADE:
260 weekdays * 50,000 = $13,000,000
105 weekend days * 10,000 = $1,050,000
Total benefit/year third decade = $14,050,000
Total benefit third decade = $140,050,000

Option B over 30 years: $230,885,000 total benefit

It's less than half the total benefit, because you're accruing the full benefit the entire time for option A, but it takes decades to see real benefit for option B, and you never actually catch up to option A unless your total ridership for option B grows significantly larger over time, which there's no reason to think it will.

Of course this is totally hypothetical and in real life the numbers would be completely different for any number of reasons. The point is simply to illustrate how benefits now do indeed have higher value than benefits that take decades to become reality.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't plan or invest in the future. Of course we should. But it does mean that if there's a huge need today, ignoring it in favor of a potential future need costs us real money.

And of course, if your option B system is highway focused, and your TOD plans are consistently low-density, then your ridership ceiling on option B is going to be pretty low no matter how many miles you build.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 10:23 PM

Lady Luck smiled on Denver

Let's review...

The first real extended LRT line was along S. Sante Fe Drive, the 8.7 mile SW Corridor line. IIRC this was built (mostly) with cash on hand. It's destination was Mineral Ave. and the upscale neighborhoods of south Littleton and Highlands Ranch. Wasn't designed with density in mind nor serving the working poor. TOD opportunities are a stretch along this line.

But the tee vee visuals of over-flowing parking lots early in the morning at the Mineral Station are what propelled everything else that followed. Let me add that the glowing success here was limited primarily to suburban commuter inbound traffic in the morning and outbound traffic in the afternoon.

Then when Governor Owens was elected he made expanding South I-25 his signature project. It was easy and natural for Denver to add the option of also including LRT's which would be shoehorned in along the freeway lanes. It seemed like a natural and voters agreed.

Following this, other suburban cities understandably started asking "Where's mine?" There was general unanimity among cites whether conservative, bi-partisan or liberal in nature that they wanted their just share of the light rail pie. After all they pay RTD taxes too.

Fast forward to the Fastracks vote.

Ken did a great job of articulating the bigger picture and greater good objectives and also said this:
Quote:
Reducing traffic congestion or avoiding building new freeways is really a small part of the vision behind Denver's transit plans, but it's the part that the general public and mainstream media typically focus on (and was certainly used to help sell the FasTracks tax).
I wouldn't disagree. I would emphasize that while many voters may have been aware of the potential for future development and saw this as a plus, it was the frosting; the meat and potatoes was that voters chose a transit alternative to adding ever more freeway lanes even if that wasn't the specific ballot question. They presumed this would mitigate growing freeway congestion.

Understanding and appreciating this background history is important for a number of reasons...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 4:38 AM

Quote:
They presumed this would mitigate growing freeway congestion.
Yes, but lines next to highways accomplish that less effectively than lines along arterials. Because highway-based transit lines don't change the underlying land use, and therefore are not usable for the majority of trips. You're trying to take trips that would be happening in cars on the highway, and convert them to trains on the highway instead. It's a minor change. Arterial transit takes trips that would be happening in cars on the highway, and converts some of them to train trips, but also it converts even more of them to walking trips, by making the surrounding main streets more walkable. This is the key difference. When you build arterial transit it reduces traffic much more, because you're converting trips to both train and pedestrian trips, instead of only to train trips.

So think about those Phoenix-compared-to-Denver numbers, and how Phoenix gets more riders per mile. That didn't even count the additional pedestrian trips that Phoenix's light rail makes possible (and therefore takes out of cars), which Denver's does not. So that's yet another way the comparison undercounted how successful Phoenix's system is. Probably right now the undercount is minimal, since there hasn't been much time for the land use to change. But the ceiling is a lot higher there, because of the location of the lines.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 7:16 AM

I just finished watching a terrific NBA game.

Because I was able to track down the cost info on the SW Line I'll make a separate post. Total project costs were $177.7 million or about $20.4 million per mile.

But get this; source is RTD:
Quote:
On May 9, 1996, U.S. Secretary of Transportation, Federico Peña, signed a $120 million Full Funding Grant Agreement (FFGA)
They received an additional $18 million in Federal funds that was channeled through DRCOG and CDOT. The total of $138 million was nearly 78% of the total project costs. RTD's share of project costs was a mere $4.56 million per mile.

Opening in July of 2000 they quickly doubled the original ridership projections. In April of 2002 the five stations were 113% over projections.

Who gives a flip how much density there is along the line? Since the trains generally fill up at the very first station at Mineral (at least during peak traffic times) they are clearly taking (affluent) riders off the road. I would guess that over time they'll still get some TOD at or near some of the stations. But it's not important; their ROI is off the charts regardless.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Yes, but lines next to highways accomplish that less effectively than lines along arterials. Because highway-based transit lines don't change the underlying land use, and therefore are not usable for the majority of trips. You're trying to take trips that would be happening in cars on the highway, and convert them to trains on the highway instead. It's a minor change. Arterial transit takes trips that would be happening in cars on the highway, and converts some of them to train trips, but also it converts even more of them to walking trips, by making the surrounding main streets more walkable. This is the key difference. When you build arterial transit it reduces traffic much more, because you're converting trips to both train and pedestrian trips, instead of only to train trips.
I interrupt this program for a commercial break.

I love your expertise and analysis. Ironically and unwittingly perhaps but once again you seem to be making arguments in support of the anti-transit crowd - at least in respect to Denver and its transit system.

I know you have a predominantly urban focus but Metro Denver's challenge of moving people back and forth between work and home, etc. is overall a Transportation problem. You seem to be inferring that Denver missed the boat by not building 10-lane freeways - like Phoenix has (and continues to expand).

It's an interesting question. For the same money (presumably) metro Denver could have expanded I-25 and I-70 to 10 lanes, rebuilt U.S. 36 to Boulder without needing any express toll lanes - free lanes just like Phoenix has.

If metro Denver's growing traffic congestion needed a fix then it looks like they picked the wrong horse to ride, no?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 8:48 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

You seem to assume that free general purpose lanes are inherently better. I would argue toll lanes do a better job at managing traffic congestion (induced traffic is less of a thing with toll lanes), and oh by the way, they generate funds for maintenance, so we have better roads too. If I could, I would toll more, not less.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Who gives a flip how much density there is along the line? Since the trains generally fill up at the very first station
Trains fill up because there aren't very many trains.

There are 7 trains scheduled to leave Mineral station between 8:00 and 9:00 am, for an average headway of 8.5 minutes at the very peak of rush hour. Off-peak service declines rapidly in the evening, with 4 trains per hour at 8:00 pm, 2 trains per hour at 9:00, and only one train per hour after that. That is not a particularly high capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive
unwittingly perhaps but once again you seem to be making arguments in support of the anti-transit crowd
No, you're just misconstruing any criticisms as attacks on transit itself. I wouldn't say these things in a room full of transit skeptics. But if transit advocates can't be honest with ourselves, we have no hope of accomplishing anything significant.

The alternative to highway-focused rail is not wider highways. It's better-located rail that refocuses growth around rail stations. I've already said that.

Again: Denver's light rail plans made sense in the political reality of the times. I'm glad Denver has a nice light rail system. I certainly do not wish it had never been built. But it's unquestionably making less of a difference than it could have, if we'd designed it better.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
You seem to assume that free general purpose lanes are inherently better. I would argue toll lanes do a better job at managing traffic congestion (induced traffic is less of a thing with toll lanes), and oh by the way, they generate funds for maintenance, so we have better roads too. If I could, I would toll more, not less.
So on this issue you've gone over to the "elitist white people's" side. Da heck with us common folk.

I have no idea how you can argue that limiting capacity increases capacity?

As far as toll collections go what if they don't even cover the construction amortization costs? If it's a P3, private party that is responsible for maintenance then tolling proceeds are a matter of their expense versus profit efficiency management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
No, you're just misconstruing any criticisms as attacks on transit itself. I wouldn't say these things in a room full of transit skeptics. But if transit advocates can't be honest with ourselves, we have no hope of accomplishing anything significant.

The alternative to highway-focused rail is not wider highways. It's better-located rail that refocuses growth around rail stations. I've already said that.

Again: Denver's light rail plans made sense in the political reality of the times. I'm glad Denver has a nice light rail system. I certainly do not wish it had never been built. But it's unquestionably making less of a difference than it could have, if we'd designed it better.
I hear you...
but what I was really doing is putting on my "benefit of any doubt" hat and assuming your criticism is appropriate.

Where we talk past each other is that you would conclude that RTD has a less-than-ideal design flaw problem. I would go back to the problem being a metro-wide transportation problem and if transit wasn't a good answer then more lanes would have been preferred.

There may well be better rail transit route options but that's a separate topic from metro voters thinking they were addressing a metro wide transportation congestion problem.

Plus different rail transit routes would have opened up a whole different barrel of worms to deal with from costs to NIMBY-ism, who's paying and how etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West