HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 6:34 PM

A little diner or coffee place would probably do well.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:45 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I see signage is up indicating Rosso coffee will be moving into the midrise building being built at 20th avenue and Centre St North.

With Rosso there and Cabin Fever books now selling vinyl across the street, I guess the innercity has finally arrived to my hood

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 4:48 AM

Naina's Kitchen has moved from Ogden to 121 17th ave SE. I drove by almost everyday and regret never stopping at the place that serves the best Juicy Lucys anywhere.

It will be a great spot for pre-game brews and burgers though.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
When the announcement about Boxwood closing came out the ownership group said something new would be going into the space, maybe even as quick as by the end of September. So we'll see soon enough.
I've heard some rumors that Boxwood was actually sold to new owners, hence the shutdown and new concept that's supposedly coming.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 5:18 AM
Canadian Urbanite

I'm not sure it was mentioned in here but Red's Diner is going into LIDO.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
I'm not sure it was mentioned in here but Red's Diner is going into LIDO.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:32 PM

Looks like the new restaurant on the main floor of the Burns Building is open. Hopefully it lasts longer than the Chophouse did, tough location for a higher end type place.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Looks like the new restaurant on the main floor of the Burns Building is open. Hopefully it lasts longer than the Chophouse did, tough location for a higher end type place.
Wait, did someone open a new restaurant in a bad location while the building's exterior is still being renovated? They must really like a challenge.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlex View Post
Wait, did someone open a new restaurant in a bad location while the building's exterior is still being renovated? They must really like a challenge.
Looks like it's been pretty empty for the first few days. Place is called Anatolia and they serve Turkish cuisine.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 4:44 PM
Aviary Masticator

Finally went to Ten Foot Henry. It's pretty good; salmon was the best part alongside collard greens.

Kinda pricey. Native Tongues was bumping last night though

Also, Trolley 5 has good BBQ within that vicinity.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:35 PM
City Maker

It looks as though the Taco Bell on 17th Ave S.E. is being transformed into a Popeye's Chicken. Happy days!!!

Here is a wicked story about a visit to Popeye's from a member of CalgaryPuck:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt@CalgaryPuck.com
I love Popeye's chicken. Quality-wise it's ok, but I love it because my first and one-time dealing with them was in Vegas before heading to the airport a few years back.

I line up and it's about 10 deep. Let's say demographic-wise, I stuck out like a sore thumb... screw it, I'm just going to say black. Everyone was black. And not Fresh Prince Carlton black. I am not. At the register, I make an order, the lady asks "you want a biscuit or a (something else I don't remember)?"

I order the something else. She goes, "You don't want no biscuit? WHAT THE HECK WRONG WITH YOU?" The ENTIRE line of strangers behind me and people waiting for their order all murmur in agreement. One Morgan Freeman lookalike gentleman goes, "mmmm hmmmm.... you gonna want one of them biscuits."

I go, "sorry, I'm from Canada. We don't have Popeye's where we live. I've always wanted to try."

She SCREAMS, hands on her head like it's on fire, eyes wide as saucers, "YOU DON'T HAVE NO POPEYE'S! OH LAWD! WHAT THE HECK WRONG WITH CANADA!"

Meekly, I say, "I know, right?"

I'm pretty amused at this point. She points to my then-pregnant wife and I get chastised for only buying like a three-piece meal. "SHE HAVING A BABY! YOU NEED TO GET SOME CHICKEN IN HER! YOU THE HUSBAND! SHE NEED TO EAT!" Believe me, the all caps is necessary.

I get my order, which has magically become a five-piece with two biscuits while about 20 people stare at us eat and wait for our approval. Groups of families had now sat down beside our tables despite us sitting a distance away from the cashier. We say something like, "this is amazing", as the entire group then roars happily. They proceed to ask us about Canada for the next 30 minutes. Cashier lady, "Too cold fo' me. You people crazy with your snow and no Popeye's." We finish, leave, and feel like we made 20 new friends.

Anyways, this is my completely pointless story about Popeye's. I kind of feel like I'll need to heavily temper expectations for the Calgary one.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
It looks as though the Taco Bell on 17th Ave S.E. is being transformed into a Popeye's Chicken. Happy days!!!

I am so incredibly excited about this.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:43 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:

Popeye's is the bawwwmb. Such crunch. Munch wow. Had it in LA.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 7:09 PM
Near Generational

Quote:

Thank you for posting that. I totally lol'd at the office.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 2:48 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Looks like it's been pretty empty for the first few days. Place is called Anatolia and they serve Turkish cuisine.
Was in there just the other night for dinner, and it's excellent. Very good value, really delicious. The room still has most of the furniture and fittings from the Chicago Chophouse era, so it's high end feeling even though the mains are $15 or so. It was before a show, so we were worried about time, but they got us our meals with time to spare. (Perhaps because there were literally no other diners the entire time we were in there?) Turkish food has aspects of Greek cuisine - the salad with my lamb kebab had a fresh Greek feel to it with lots of feta-like cheese - and aspects of Lebanese - my companion had Iskander kebab which was sort of a shaved house-made donair meat. Anyways, I hope that people start patronizing it, because it's a good restaurant but they can't afford salaries at that rate, never mind rent.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 5:37 PM

What's the best pizza in the downtown core? I like Michael's but it's a bit of a walk from my new office...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 5:40 PM

Also, had Nando's from the new spot on 17th the other day, delicious! Really glad to have one super close to my place, will probably spend too much money there...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 7:28 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
What's the best pizza in the downtown core? I like Michael's but it's a bit of a walk from my new office...
I love Michael's and it's one of the things I miss most from my time in the apartment building next door. Verona Pizza which is in Bow Valley Square food court actually does a decent version of that Greek-style. (Their website says they're in other locations including Gulf Canada as well, but as of 20 minutes ago their hoardings were still up there.) The Bear & Kilt is also pretty good, a little thinner crust.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
I love Michael's and it's one of the things I miss most from my time in the apartment building next door. Verona Pizza which is in Bow Valley Square food court actually does a decent version of that Greek-style. (Their website says they're in other locations including Gulf Canada as well, but as of 20 minutes ago their hoardings were still up there.) The Bear & Kilt is also pretty good, a little thinner crust.
I go to Bear & Kilt for pizza on Mondays, $10 for a pint and an 8" pan pizza, probably the best happy hour deal in the city.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 2:53 AM

New Carls Jr is now open on 32 ave NE. Former Arbys.

meh..

Theres another new burger place opening down the road, its beside memory express in the same building actually. Starts with a B.. cant remember name. I heard theres two others in the NW already.

Excited for Popeyes!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation