HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 12:12 AM

Philadelphia Bar seeks $40M building to house legal aid organizations at 8th and Vine

Quote:
The Philadelphia Bar Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the Philadelphia Bar Association, is seeking to turn a parking lot at 8th and Vine streets into what Chancellor Deborah Gross calls a “first of its kind” $40 million facility that would house more than 20 legal nonprofits.

“I think this is a gamechanger,” Gross said. “As someone who has been a trustee with the Bar Foundation for 12 years, my focus has been helping legal nonprofits. And in a city with the highest poverty rate, this could really put Philadelphia on the map.”

Though she did not want to discuss specifics about the rest of the proposal, including the Bar’s partners, Gross said the RFP calls for a hotel, housing and parking.

The proposed 120,000 square feet building should be eight to 10 stories when completed. Gross said the Bar plans to pay for what could be between a $40 million and $60 million project with a combination of tax credits, loans, fundraising and funds from class action lawsuits. She said the loan will be paid down over time via rent.

PRA spokeswoman Jamilia Davis said the agency has so far received two responses and is hoping to have the selection complete in the next 30 to 60 days. At that juncture, the PRA board and City Council must each sign off before the selection is formalized.

Davis said specific information about the two proposals would not be made public until the PRA selects a winning bidder.

The Bar has been eyeing the plot of land for five years, with the help of developer Pennrose Properties, which has handled the matter on a pro bono basis, and architectural firm Wallace Roberts & Todd.

Gross said the Bar has looked at other properties but wants to see how the RFP plays out before exploring them. She said the Association liked the fact that 800-830 Vine was a city-owned property in close proximity to the U.S. District Courthouse, worker’s compensation court and the Bar Association’s headquarters at 11th and Market streets.

With between 20 and 30 legal nonprofits under the same roof, she said the organizations will be able to benefit from numerous efficiencies such as single client intake and shared personnel, equipment, software, conference rooms, event space and day care.

Agencies that could be part of the facility include Community Legal Services and Support Center for Child Advocates. Gross said the Bar has also met with law school officials — University of Pennsylvania, Temple University and Drexel University — about having students frequent the facility to gain practical experience working with the legal aid organizations on client matters. She said the schools could even become tenants if they wish.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ilding-to.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 5:29 PM

Family Court hotel project on the Parkway gets boost from renovation-plan action

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...d-kimpton.html

Quote:
Plans to convert the former Family Court building in Center City into a boutique hotel have been declared eligible for a federal tax credit aimed at supporting historic-preservation projects, offering a boost to the long-stalled proposal.

The National Park Service approved developer Peebles Corp.’s renovations plans for the 76-year-old building at 1801 Vine St. on Dec. 29, a spokesman for the agency, Jeremy Barnum, said.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 5:50 PM

^ GREAT news. Even if Kimpton is no longer interested, I'd think this would be a no brainer tie in with the "Mormon tract" by the very Mormon Marriott folk. Marriott did a VERY nice rehab of an old bank building in DC (Marriott Courtyard Convention Center), creatively incorporating existing architectural features/fixtures.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 6:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Family Court hotel project on the Parkway gets boost from renovation-plan action

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...d-kimpton.html
This project obviously has a long way to go considering they are saying this sets the stage for trying to get financing. It makes you wonder what was in the proposal in the first place that helped them win.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
This project obviously has a long way to go considering they are saying this sets the stage for trying to get financing. It makes you wonder what was in the proposal in the first place that helped them win.
City should've found a different developer for this a while ago. It's been almost 3 years.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
City should've found a different developer for this a while ago. It's been almost 3 years.
I'm sure that merit/ability has little to do with how the developer was chosen.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 8:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I'm sure that merit/ability has little to do with how the developer was chosen.
I doubt that. When you offer a site like this that has a lot of limitations you are going to have limited options. I do know this firm has done projects like this in other cities and is pretty large. I know you all hate all city workers and anything related to the city government but I wouldn't presume every decision made can be directly tied to corruption and stupidity. As much as you hate Council they really aren't involved in most significant decisions like this.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^That could be a nice project... and nice use of an awkward empty lot between I-95 and the Market-Frankford El.
The article describes their ambitions for the Philadelphia site as a one-story garage. Color me not impressed, despite the site's obvious challenges.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^ GREAT news. Even if Kimpton is no longer interested, I'd think this would be a no brainer tie in with the "Mormon tract" by the very Mormon Marriott folk. Marriott did a VERY nice rehab of an old bank building in DC (Marriott Courtyard Convention Center), creatively incorporating existing architectural features/fixtures.
It's a beautiful building. Can be made into something great for sure.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 1:46 PM

Lincoln Square Update

Another update on Lincoln Square. They just keep digging and digging and digging.

I thought most of the parking for this was above grade, so I'm a little surprised. Guess it's going to be used mostly for retail storage?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 4:06 PM
More of that.

Treetop Adventure Park (ziplining/ropes course) proposal moved from Wissahickon Park to West Fairmount Park - will go forward. Overheard in elevator ride to Parks and Rec.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Another update on Lincoln Square. They just keep digging and digging and digging.

I thought most of the parking for this was above grade, so I'm a little surprised. Guess it's going to be used mostly for retail storage?
Wouldn't they need to go down that deep for the foundation?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 5:07 PM

Chestnut Street West on fire with chain restaurants/eateries

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...ut-Street.html

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
Treetop Adventure Park (ziplining/ropes course) proposal moved from Wissahickon Park to West Fairmount Park - will go forward. Overheard in elevator ride to Parks and Rec.
EVEN BETTER!!!! A fun thing that'll be even closer to the city!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
I thought this was long dead. Glad to see it come back and move to a better fit. Wissahickon is too removed and more of a hidden gem of nature to me. Putting an activity like this doesn't seem to fit as well over there. West Fairmount on the other hand is close enough that you can get tourists and residence alike. They need better utilization of that area. Great stuff.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 8:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I thought this was long dead. Glad to see it come back and move to a better fit. Wissahickon is too removed and more of a hidden gem of nature to me. Putting an activity like this doesn't seem to fit as well over there. West Fairmount on the other hand is close enough that you can get tourists and residence alike. They need better utilization of that area. Great stuff.
there was an RFP up for this a few months ago so it will be built and operated by private vendor on city owned land.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Chestnut Street West on fire with chain restaurants/eateries

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...ut-Street.html
Nice. Nitwit should move to the 1500 block of Chestnut. There are vacancies. It would be an upgrade over many of the current tenants. Little by little, the dominos are falling and all of Chestnut is becoming what you would expect a street in core center city to look like.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Nice. Nitwit should move to the 1500 block of Chestnut. There are vacancies. It would be an upgrade over many of the current tenants. Little by little, the dominos are falling and all of Chestnut is becoming what you would expect a street in core center city to look like.
Saxby's moving into a nearby vacancy too.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...ttenhouse.html

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 12:55 AM

Aramark Headquarters - 2400 Market - office/retail - 10 floors
Update from Naked Philly

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...shiny-new-home

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 12:57 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Aramark Headquarters - 2400 Market - office/retail - 10 floors
Update from Naked Philly

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...shiny-new-home
Besides the mural, did they paint the exterior already?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development