HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 4:33 PM

Funding for upgrades is taken on as debt and the users pay it off over whatever the term is via increased rates. But this takes away the Cities capacity to use that debt (and associated funding from other levels of government) for other projects such as transit.

This isn't unique to Winnipeg. None of our problems are. We're not special, just poor.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 5:46 PM

Made in Winnipeg. Drain the swamp.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 7:11 PM

^There's barely been any snow! How could they be over budget?

Last edited by OTA in Winnipeg; Feb 28, 2024 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 7:48 PM

It's been a running joke with my beer league team. A couple guys do the snow clearing and were out doing roads when there was literally a dusting of powder. I guess whatever the requirement is, 2cm or something like that for the roads, has been met so the plows went out.

When in reality the wind blew most of the snow away on 2 occasions. It always seems like the snow clearing budget is in shambles. But it's the way they do the estimating. The City will always 'find the money' instead of overbudgeting and having money left.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 8:19 PM

Snow removal is not easy. I ran a snow company for 6yrs, fuck that noise. But budgeting is. There's no excuse for this incompetence. Budget properly.

Also, for residential streets. If they sent out a smaller truck plow WHILE it's still snowing for the DRIVING lane only, they could avoid a majority of these big costly residential operations. Same for alleys. Plow while its powder. 10x easier.

Waiting until it's iced over destroys roads, destroys equipment, and requires bigger equipment.

Deploy a $100k plow truck more.
Deploy a $500k grader less.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
Snow removal is not easy. I ran a snow company for 6yrs, fuck that noise. But budgeting is. There's no excuse for this incompetence. Budget properly.

Also, for residential streets. If they sent out a smaller truck plow WHILE it's still snowing for the DRIVING lane only, they could avoid a majority of these big costly residential operations. Same for alleys. Plow while its powder. 10x easier.

Waiting until it's iced over destroys roads, destroys equipment, and requires bigger equipment.

Deploy a $100k plow truck more.
Deploy a $500k grader less.
In other words do like the old City of East Kildonan use to do after a snow fall. As a little kid I remember them coming down the street with a wing plow on a city dump truck to open the street up

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
When in reality the wind blew most of the snow away on 2 occasions. It always seems like the snow clearing budget is in shambles. But it's the way they do the estimating. The City will always 'find the money' instead of overbudgeting and having money left.
The City has the tendency to take the most favorable departmental budget estimates (e.g., snow plowing) even if the estimates are too low so that the budget can work and be balanced. This is because politicians would rather look good by balancing the budget now under minimal tax increases, and then try and scramble and find the money later on in the future to reconcile the over expenditure. Easier to sin and ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission sort of thing.

For all we know, Public Works developed a good snow clearing budget estimate that was just "too high" for the elected officials to stomach, so they were told to "find some savings" and lo and behold they found some "savings" in the the snow clearing budget, the overall budget was now balanced, and politicians were overjoyed.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
In other words do like the old City of East Kildonan use to do after a snow fall. As a little kid I remember them coming down the street with a wing plow on a city dump truck to open the street up
For a winter city, Winnipeg does such a poor job with snow clearing.

Was in St. John's earlier this month and they had 50cm of snow on Valentine's Day. The next day, all the roads, including side streets, were clear down to the pavement. There needed to be some widening in spots and push back of the snowbanks, but the roads were clear. Even the parking lots were scraped clear down to the pavement the day after.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 8:55 PM

Okay, check this out.
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...40304(RM)WW-12

Re: sewage pipe rupture into Red river near Bishop grandin.

The City is asking the Province to fine them $4 per litre for incompetence. I can hear Russ wyatts voice behind the text in this motion. $4 per litre, 228 million litres. Is ~$1 billion correct??

Agenda – Standing Policy Committee on Water, Waste and Environment – March 4, 2024
Item No. 5 Financial Penalties for Accidental Sewage Discharge
COUNCIL DECISION:
On February 22, 2024, Council ruled automatic referral of the following motion to the Standing
Policy Committee on Water, Waste and Environment:
Moved by Councillor Wyatt,
Seconded by Councillor Allard,
WHEREAS the City of Winnipeg is once again experiencing a so-called ‘accidental’ or
‘unexpected’ break in our Wastewater Distribution System that is dumping raw sewage into a
river;
AND WHEREAS the present raw sewage discharge has dumped over 228 million litres of raw
sewage into the Red River and is still flowing as of this Council Meeting;
AND WHEREAS the City is too often experiencing such ‘accidental’ discharges of raw sewage
into one of our rivers, rivers which ultimately flow into Lake Winnipeg and therefore negatively
affecting the health of this important body of water, not to mention the communities that rely on
Lake Winnipeg for their livelihoods;
AND WHEREAS the Province of Manitoba regulates and licenses the City of Winnipeg and has
the authority to issue severe fines on the City of Winnipeg for clear and irresponsible
environmental violations;
AND WHEREAS due to the continual incompetence of the City, and complete disrespect and
disregard for the environment, the City must now be subjected to clear, active, and irrevocable
Province of Manitoba Penalties, as only such penalties, namely fines, will act as a deterrent to
future sewage discharge accidents;
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT the City of Winnipeg request the Province of
Manitoba to:
A. Immediately fine the City the equivalent of $4 a litre for every litre of raw sewage
accidentally dumped into a river, from a preventable source, namely a broken pipe or
broken valve or a piece of broken sewage system infrastructure;
Agenda – Standing Policy Committee on Water, Waste and Environment – March 4, 2024
COUNCIL DECISION (continued):
B. Direct all revenues achieved from paid penalties and/or fines against the City of
Winnipeg, toward assisting with conservation efforts to clean and save Lake Winnipeg,
and/or to the communities that are being affected by needless pollution caused by the
City.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:02 PM

The city is fined a billion, goes bankrupt, province has to bail them out?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:05 PM

I don't really get it. Some kind of Russ Wyatt grandstanding thing. Not that I'm opposed to holding the City accountable.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:16 PM

Quote:
I don't really get it. Some kind of Russ Wyatt grandstanding thing. Not that I'm opposed to holding the City accountable.
Probably to make the mayor look bad for future elections. Russ has always been a schemer haha.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 10:01 PM

When does the road construction plan/schedule for 2024 get released?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 10:10 PM

Never. They do list out the streets up for renewal in the City budget though.

I shared a link somewhere in here. Could dig that up again.

Pothole season is upon us lol I noticed the asphalt overlay they did on Main St downtown in the last year or two is peeling off. Not good news my friends.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 10:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^There's barely been any snow! How could they be over budget?
when u run outa money for the year, the accountants will put it on the next years books

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Never. They do list out the streets up for renewal in the City budget though.

I shared a link somewhere in here. Could dig that up again.

Pothole season is upon us lol I noticed the asphalt overlay they did on Main St downtown in the last year or two is peeling off. Not good news my friends.
Yeah the overlay they did on Ellice from Arlington to Maryland 2 years ago is also trashed already. Unreal.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Yeah the overlay they did on Ellice from Arlington to Maryland 2 years ago is also trashed already. Unreal.
Ready for the tomatoes yet, sparky?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Traveled Leila Avenue today. It's like bombs were dropped from Salter Street thru McPhillips. Had to swerve through both lanes today through the whole length of it.
BIG hole at Arlington and Portage too. Hit it right front wheel yesterday, missed it today. It's bad out there. Good luck everyone.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:24 AM

The second the roads dry in the spring, the entire public works dept should be on pot hole duty. Every single employee. Every single road. Every single hole. Like an annual ritual. No other public work projects start until every hole is filled.

A citizen should NEVER have to report a pothole. Ever.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:24 AM

I'll be charitable and point out this is potentially the worst year in recent memory for the destruction of roads. One or two freeze/thaws can cause problems but our 20, 25 freeze/thaws this winter is devastating. It's all crumbling now that the lower frost is coming out. A bumper year for potholes based on weather.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan