HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
I still prefer the lost “Campanile” feature that was part of the original 1980s building design. For those who don’t remember, the building was topped with an elongated pyramidal atrium of sorts that almost ran the length of the building's roof-top. They basically erased this Post-Modern signature feature of the building. It’s what made that particular building unique. That said, the proposed street level redesign is still appealing, given the fact that the original tower needed some improvements in that area anyway.

Unless the design is inherently flawed or too costly to maintain, I’m not a fan of altering all of our skyscrapers to keep up with the passing architectural trends. These buildings tend to represent a slice of time or period of design that relates to the culture that was present at the time - it gives us a cultural "mile marker" reference in time. Yeah, I know, the Campanile building wasn't designed by a Philip Johnson, but it's still (was) a notable part of the Post-Modern era in Atlanta.

Where would all of our most notable skyscrapers be today if we followed each and every re-design impulse. Would we be upset if One Atlantic Center (IBM Tower) were stripped of its Gothic features or if a developer added 1980s marble cladding to Mies Van Der Rohe's 1950s International style Seagrams building in New York. We could also include all the great Art Deco buildings throughout the country.

Even though Colony Square’s revamp was an attempt to “breathe new life” into the space, the Modernist style of the towers was still retained, and hints of that philosophy were still apparent in the re-design.
right on. i think what makes our skyline special is just how much postmodernist architecture there is making it up - though its approaching a period where its completely out of style.

loved this recent youtube vid:
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
right on. i think what makes our skyline special is just how much postmodernist architecture there is making it up - though its approaching a period where its completely out of style.

loved this recent youtube
I think the large green wing on top of the campanile building was ugly, and the renovation around 2011 that stripped off the green glass and that wing was a big improvement. I was horrified when dewberry gutted the lobby and stripped the marble off the side of the building, however. I thought the cherry finished lobby with pink and white marble floors was really classy and timeless, and also loved the facade of the building as well. The minor renovation was a good step, like the colony square renovation, however I certainly understand the desire to preserve good elements of original architecture.

There are several sad ‘reskins’ here in NYC, such as the New York biltmore hotel (335 Madison) and trump’s first project in NYC, the Hyatt, another 1920’s era building reskinned in 80’s glamor. Both of those buildings are adjacent to grand central terminal and will be demolished and replaced with high rises. I try to imagine if these buildings would have survived if they had not been reskinned in the 70’s and 80’s.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 3:53 AM

Mixed-use proposed for 841 North Highland Avenue

https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/v...nt-parking-lot

Quote:
The mixed-use building would rise with two and three stories one lot south of CVS Pharmacy, on the North Highland Avenue retail strip that includes Dark Horse Tavern and Neighbor’s Pub, according to marketers.

Plans call for 7,300 square feet of retail at street level (with floor-to-ceiling windows and floorplans as small as 3,650 square feet) topped with residences, according to Colliers. Building permit paperwork indicates the homes would be for-sale condominiums.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 1:28 PM

Trouble is brewing in paradise! The Subaru driving troops in VH are assembling and will attack! This is proposed at that empty parking lot across from dark horse

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Trouble is brewing in paradise! The Subaru driving troops in VH are assembling and will attack! This is proposed at that empty parking lot across from dark horse
LOL, you know it, the "breeders" have ruined VAHI.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 8:58 PM

Modera project near the corner of gay and gay has a drilling machine on site doing what looks like soil samples

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 1:35 PM

A couple of permits were filed for 600 Memorial - for historic preservation review and demolition of the structure. I've always though this is an absolutely prime intersection for development - at Memorial and Boulevard, overlooking Oakland Cemetery, on the edge of Cabbagetown, short walk to the Beltline, and surrounded by new developments along Memorial. Anybody know what the plans for this lot are? Or just the city removing a hazardous structure?

EDIT: I didn't know all the background on this one: https://saportareport.com/historic-g...ruch/johnruch/

Last edited by shivtim; Jan 4, 2022 at 1:41 PM. Reason: Added URL

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
A couple of permits were filed for 600 Memorial - for historic preservation review and demolition of the structure. I've always though this is an absolutely prime intersection for development - at Memorial and Boulevard, overlooking Oakland Cemetery, on the edge of Cabbagetown, short walk to the Beltline, and surrounded by new developments along Memorial. Anybody know what the plans for this lot are? Or just the city removing a hazardous structure?

EDIT: I didn't know all the background on this one: https://saportareport.com/historic-g...ruch/johnruch/
Interesting - I live right by here and actually got a COVID test the other day on site - there's a great view (over the cemetery) for any potential building put there, that entire intersection has so much potential, the guy who owns the lot across from there is sitting on a gold mine.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 11:54 PM

Cousins buys Ecco restaurant, expands 887 West Peachtree project

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...o-midtown.html

Quote:
Cousins Properties Inc. paid $6.9 million for the site along 7th Street, according to Fulton County property deeds. Cousins has adjusted its original plans for its 887 West Peachtree project from a single 26-story office tower to include apartments, a restaurant and additional greenspace in a second phase of construction. The new site on 7th Street provides more room for the amenities.

Cousins expects to begin construction on the first phase of 887 West Peachtree this summer, Hicks said. Phase II will follow. The company has recently added active listings for the site on real estate inventory database CoStar.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 2:06 AM

Cousins 887 W. Peachtree Project Expansion

Cousin's Project Expansion

So...why not just combine the Office and Residential components of the Cousin's proposal into a single tower rather than spending another $6.9 million on another site?

This idea seems even more plausible given the fact that the tower was originally proposed at 31 stories anyway.

Then we would have our original project height back...and more.

More often than not, the odds still seem to be stacked against mixed uses in a single tower. Yes, I know, there are a few exceptions, but generally speaking, it seems problematic.

It doesn't help that land must still be considered cheap in Midtown.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
More often than not, the odds still seem to be stacked against mixed uses in a single tower. Yes, I know, there are a few exceptions, but generally speaking, it seems problematic.

It doesn't help that land must still be considered cheap in Midtown.
I think it has to do with marketability of the project when development is complete. I believe generally real estate companies specialize in either commercial or residential properties- like Post properties, toll brothers, cousins, etc. if a developer wants to market and sell the project when it is complete and occupied (which very often occurs), it is much easier to sell with a single use as companies generally specialize in one property type. Also, the floor plate are generally different in residential and commercial, where residential favors window area and buildings tend to be thinner and commercial properties, in general, are wider and favor floor space.

Anyway, I like mixed use, but I’m really happy that developers and city planners are fully embracing putting office and residential in the same neighborhoods, if not side by side. This was pretty rare in the 70’s and 80’s

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I think it has to do with marketability of the project when development is complete. I believe generally real estate companies specialize in either commercial or residential properties- like Post properties, toll brothers, cousins, etc. if a developer wants to market and sell the project when it is complete and occupied (which very often occurs), it is much easier to sell with a single use as companies generally specialize in one property type. Also, the floor plate are generally different in residential and commercial, where residential favors window area and buildings tend to be thinner and commercial properties, in general, are wider and favor floor space.

Anyway, I like mixed use, but I’m really happy that developers and city planners are fully embracing putting office and residential in the same neighborhoods, if not side by side. This was pretty rare in the 70’s and 80’s
Exactly. It's all about resale. Developers don't building properties to then hold onto them. Many sell a year after completion. Owners want commercial or residential portfolios. Very few are willing/able to mix.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 2:56 PM
Kev K

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
The Fulton County valuation for the (2) Ecco land plots looks to be around 500K each, yet is selling for $6.9 M. Just think what we could do if commercial property owners were accurately assessed.

(s/o to jjordan1023 for having this info easily available on his Atl Development Map)

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 8:14 PM

The big money folks get the tax breaks. What's new?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 11:07 PM

New East Atlanta Village project

https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/f...opment-project
Quote:
Atlanta-based Pellerin Real Estate, best known for the Beacon warehouse redevelopment in Grant Park, is moving forward with its sixth East Atlanta project at a site just north of Argosy restaurant and bar.

Pellerin recently closed on two parcels—456 and 462 Flat Shoals Avenue—currently home to parking lots and an outdoor dining facility.

The developer plans to replace that soon with a four-story, mixed-use building that would screen a new parking lot in back, as Pellerin’s principal, Philippe Pellerin, tells Urbanize Atlanta.

Overlooking watering holes and clothing boutiques, the building would include 37 apartments, ranging from studios to two-bedrooms, atop roughly 5,000 square feet of retail at street level along Flat Shoals. The brick-clad façade, bookended by curved balconies, is meant to echo existing buildings around the Village, says Pellerin.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 1:50 AM

I.HATE.ROUND.WINDOWS. But, other than that it's fine.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 2:10 PM

It's like they had a nice clean design for a brick-façade building, and said "hey, you know what would be nice? Some portholes. And lets make one corner a tower with a peacock mural."

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
It's like they had a nice clean design for a brick-façade building, and said "hey, you know what would be nice? Some portholes. And lets make one corner a tower with a peacock mural."
Love the Art Deco design

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 3:21 PM
Back on the road again

You can imagine what the vocal NIMBY crowd here in EAV is saying about this one....

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 4:54 PM

Get rid of the mural, and this looks great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta