HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Are suburbanites in Etobicoke, North York, and Scarborough making the streets of downtown Toronto unsafe too?
Yes

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 11:39 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post

All this ranting about "suburbanites" and Canada's "car culture" doesn't make sense either. Suburbanization or Canada being a "car culture" doesn't explain Hamilton Street Railway's significantly lower ridership per capita compared to Mississauga's MiWay, Winnipeg Transit, London Transit Commission, why the ridership of Hamilton declined while the rest of Ontario and Canada saw their transit ridership grow from 2003 to 2019. Are suburbanites in Etobicoke, North York, and Scarborough making the streets of downtown Toronto unsafe too? Is Montreal-Nord killing the ridership of STM? Stop whining about the "suburban" parts of Hamilton, seriously.
You couldn't possibly be more wrong about like, all of that, especially in reference to Toronto and Hamilton. The reason the HSR's ridership basically dropped off a cliff from the 1980's until the present had to do with underfunding and later, area-rated funding, which stems directly from the car culture that you're trying to insist doesn't exist. There is also a very deep urban/suburban divide in Toronto, regardless of how much the city has invested in safe streets compared to a place like Hamilton.

Go watch a few Not Just Bike's videos on yt and get back to me about this "car culture doesn't exist in Canada" thing.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 1:32 AM

The drop in ridership in Hamilton compared to other major cities is directly related to Hamiltons car culture. When I moved from Hamilton to Toronto back in the 90's everyone was shocked that I had car lol ... then I came back to Hamilton with a less car dependent attitude and had to quickly adapt back to car dependency. I live in the lower city and love to walk as much as I can but my God what a wasteland Main St. Is to walk along. The drag racing is rampant and obnoxious and the sheer volume of vehicles flying by makes you feel very uncomfortable and unsafe

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
You couldn't possibly be more wrong about like, all of that, especially in reference to Toronto and Hamilton. The reason the HSR's ridership basically dropped off a cliff from the 1980's until the present had to do with underfunding and later, area-rated funding, which stems directly from the car culture that you're trying to insist doesn't exist. There is also a very deep urban/suburban divide in Toronto, regardless of how much the city has invested in safe streets compared to a place like Hamilton.

Go watch a few Not Just Bike's videos on yt and get back to me about this "car culture doesn't exist in Canada" thing.
Suburban Toronto is way less car dependent and has far greater ridership than even the oldest parts of Hamilton. HSR ridership is inferior even to MiWay and Brampton Transit ridership, let alone TTC ridership in Etobicoke, North York, and Scarborough. To blame Hamilton's poor transit ridership and massive ridership decline over the years on the "car culture" of rest of Canada is just ridiculous. What is going on in Hamilton is unique to Hamilton. What has happened to Hamilton's transit system and to Hamilton streets is happening in Hamilton only. Let me post the transit ridership per capita stats again:

Code:
Municipality  2003  2008  2013  2018
Hamilton      47    45    45    41
London        50    63    63    61
Waterloo      29    33    50    45
Mississauga   38    44    47    53
Brampton      22    27    35    50
Major urban-suburban divide in Toronto? You think TTC ridership drops off a cliff and car dependence skyrockets as soon as you cross Victoria Park Ave into Scarborough? You're no different from those guys on UrbanToronto who got angry at me because I dared to put transit ridership of Mississauga and Brampton on a similar level and I dared to disagree with the notion that transit in Brampton "runs circles" around that of Mississauga. Even to put Mississauga and Brampton together is too much for some people, because Brampton has a real downtown or something.

People like you and Not Just Bikes and UrbanToronto who are obsessed with divisions and drawing boundaries are the ones who get in the way of urbanism more than anyone. More division and boundaries, that is suburbanization by definition. Urbanization by definition is about increased connections and reducing distances (e.g. higher density, increased permeability). You want to keep distancing yourself and Hamilton from its suburbs and suburban residents, you are only part of the problem. That obsession about dividing and increasing your distance from other people is the suburban attitude more than anything. It's like the City of Toronto's ban on 905 transit systems operating within its borders. Are the 905 politicians really the ones that have getting in the way of urbanization in City of Toronto?

You want Hamilton to be more urban? Then first step is to accept that all those suburbs as an extension of Hamilton. They are a reflection of Hamilton as much as anyone, as much as you are. If downtown Hamilton is to become the most urban place again, then by definition it must be the most connected place, so all those people in outer parts of Hamilton must be a part of Hamilton too. If you continue devote so much time and energy to exclude and differentiate them, it will only make inner Hamilton less connected, and thus less urban. To focus on increasing connections, that is the first step toward urbanity. To focus instead on entrenching existing boundaries and creating new barriers, that is exactly the mistake the City of Toronto made over the years, and sad to see Hamilton doing the same.

Of course, Hamilton does have a natural boundary and major natural barrier to connection with the escarpment, which interrupts all the north-south transit corridors, so the transit network will always be held back severely, so I cannot be too critical about Hamilton's efforts. There are some unique challenges here, and THAT is what you should be addressing. To blame the "car culture" of the rest of Canada for Hamilton's deeper failures to connect people compared to the rest of Canada, or even ignore that those failures are deeper than the rest of Canada to begin with, that is to ignore such unique challenges that Hamilton has and I think that does not help Hamilton in any way. Hamilton's failure has been in connecting people, so of course to focus on dividing people is not helping either.

The escarpment: that is the biggest barrier to transit and cycling and walking in the City of Hamilton. The escarpment cutting the city in half, preventing people from being able to travel in a straight line, increasing the travel distances of Hamilton residents, pushing them toward the car, that is the biggest barrier to Hamilton's urbanity. That is what creates such a divide as you see within Hamilton. How much do you want to continue to entrench that divide instead of finding solutions to mitigate it? We in Toronto always talk about the Gardiner Expressway being a barrier to the waterfront, but it's nothing compared to the escarpment. Even the political boundary along Steeles Ave might not compare to the boundary that the Hamilton must try to overcome with the escarpment.

I say this as an neutral outsider, as neither a lower city resident nor an upper city resident: all of Hamilton needs to come together instead of being divided yet even more.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 12:13 PM

The problem with connecting urban and suburban in Hamilton is that the majority of suburban residents still view Downtown Hamilton like they did in the 90's and 2000's and don't even go down there unless they are taking the highway to get to the 403. They isn't healthy. I'd wager money most of the people they do go Downtown for shopping or dinning out etc probably didn't grow up here.

Just my opinions.

Anyway I can't wait to drive westbound on Main Street through downtown.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
The problem with connecting urban and suburban in Hamilton is that the majority of suburban residents still view Downtown Hamilton like they did in the 90's and 2000's and don't even go down there unless they are taking the highway to get to the 403. They isn't healthy. I'd wager money most of the people they do go Downtown for shopping or dinning out etc probably didn't grow up here.

Just my opinions.

I live downtown, and I always joke with my partner that I feel like we live in a tourist attraction. The number of people who have NEVER been downtown Hamilton astounds me. I regularly overhear people saying things like "Yea this is where they do like an art thing every month on a Friday!" Or "This is all supposed be changed soon with a redevelopment" or "I've never been down this way before, let's check it out!"

Seriously I see people who have never ventured downtown, or Hamilton residents who haven't come downtown in 20 or 30 years. It's crazy. I've regularly had people ask me where very obvious things are, like "Where is Bay St?" Or "Where is King William?"

The amount of change I've seen over my 4 years here is crazy, and furthermore, there is still a lot of work to do before people accept downtown Hamilton as a place they want to go and worth investing in. Changing Main St to less of a shit show, and improving transit access to the actual downtown of the damned city would do a lot for that, suburbanite dreams of passing through downtown be damned.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 4:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

Council votes to convert 'serial killer' Main Street to 2-way traffic
The vote came after protesters outside chanted, 'Hey hey, ho ho, killer streets have got to go'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...xNZn7uX6pcsIO0

Shortly after protesters outside were chanting, "Hey hey, ho ho, killer streets have got to go," Hamilton city council approved a motion Wednesday that will convert Main Street – the location of several recent pedestrian injuries and deaths – to two-way traffic.

Despite opposition from councillors Lloyd Ferguson (Ancaster) and Maria Pearson (Ward 10, lower Stoney Creek), the motion from Coun. Maureen Wilson (Ward 1, west lower city) and Nrinder Nann (Ward 3) passed easily following impassioned pleas from several councillors who said the change would save lives and honour those who have been killed.

"Imagine your best friend just turned 49, and as a dedicated accessible transit driver... was struck and killed by a driver who jumped the curb," said Nann, referring to the recent death of a DARTS driver near Main and Locke streets after a driver mounted the curb.

"Imagine your dad booked his flight to your wedding but will never make it because [he and his colleagues got hit while walking to work]," she said, referring to a victim killed in March near Gage Park.

The motion called for the "conversion of Main Street from one-way to two-way be approved as an immediate safety intervention."

It also directs staff to create an implementation plan "that integrates a Complete Streets redesign that will enable safer use for all people who need to use the streets including public transit riders, pedestrians, motorists and cyclists and that these spaces also contribute to climate resilience by providing shade trees and permeable surfaces."

Councillors voted on the part of the motion dealing with Main Street conversion separately from the rest of the document, which also calls for implementing measures including more pedestrian space, temporary lane reductions, the removal of parking restrictions, a reduced speed limit and reviewing the synchronized traffic lights on Main and King streets.

While Pearson voted against the Main Street conversion, she voted in favour of the rest of the measures proposed.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post

Just my opinions.

Of course, the attitudes of suburban residents need to change, I don't disagree. But I also think people here should also be able to see the problem of too many cars as more than just a product of car culture. It is too easy to blame different cultures, scapegoat certain populations, take a simple us vs. them approach, not looking beneath the surface to the roots of the issues, that's just standard politics. I don't expect much from suburbanites, but at least people here should know better.

Again, speaking from neutral perspective, as an outsider, even just looking at a glance, the obvious problem I see for connecting people to Hamilton's downtown and for getting the people of Hamilton out of their cars is all those broken transit corridors: Wentworth, Wellington, Gage, etc. Of course, converting major corridors like Main and King into one-way roads did not help the transit network either. A city lacking transit corridors should not be removing the few that it has to convert them into one-way roads. You can can see the same problem in York Region, the lack of corridors severely limiting their transit ridership: the broken Langstaff Road corridor and the lack of their own Steeles route.

The lack of corridors, that is the root of the problem in Hamilton. Until Hamilton realizes that, then it cannot recognize why these one-way roads were such a bad idea, why its downtown continues to be isolated, why the city overall remains divided. Conversion of King and Main into two-way corridors is a good first step toward connecting people to downtown and bringing people in Hamilton together, but without looking beneath the surface to know exactly why it is a good first step, then it is hard to determine what should be the second step, what should be the third step.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 8:34 PM

Does anyone know what the actual impact on traffic the conversion will be? Because I suspect in reality it will actually be minimal. Plenty of cars will flow on 2 lanes, and many people will choose to take alternative routes. I expect increased usage of the Linc, and other downtown roads. Main, the way it is now, is likely a classic case of induced demand.

Some ideas of what Main could look like, taken from a Raise the Hammer article from 2012.

This first image really illustrates how terrible the current public realm is with all lanes for vehicular traffic.

This second image really shows a huge improvement.

And finally, i'm picturing how attractive Main really could be. I can imagine people walking around, eating ice cream and just enjoying the city on a warm summer day. This conversion needs to happen asap.

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; May 12, 2022 at 9:12 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Does anyone know what the actual impact on traffic the conversion will be? Because I suspect in reality it will actually be minimal. Plenty of cars will flow on 2 lanes, and many people will choose to take alternative routes. I expect increased usage of the Linc, and other downtown roads. Main, the way it is now, is likely a classic case of induced demand.

Some ideas of what Main could look like, taken from a Raise the Hammer article from 2012.

This first image really illustrates how terrible the current public realm is with all lanes for vehicular traffic.

And finally, i'm picturing how attractive Main really could be. I can imagine people walking around, eating ice cream and just enjoying the city on a warm summer day. This conversion needs to happen asap.

The first render is amazing!!! The second one is very unlikely.... 1 lane in each direction?? Lol

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 12:11 AM

I agree. But, I mean, King Street is one way in each direction through the International Village, and surprisingly it's not an issue at all.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 12:21 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately I don’t think those renderings are realistic. Main St is currently five lanes, but the lanes are too narrow. If it’s converted to two-way, the lanes will have to be wider. So even if it’s reduced to four lanes (two in each direction), that’ll only leave maybe 2 metres or so for sidewalk widening or other improvements to the streetscape.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 12:33 AM

The full article actually includes full measurements of the streets and lanes and defends the renderings pretty well as accurate.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 12:49 AM

Quote:
The full article actually includes full measurements of the streets and lanes and defends the renderings pretty well as accurate.
I read the article. Unless I somehow missed it, there doesn’t seem to be any mention of lane widths. Anyway, the current lanes are definitely narrower than the standard, and there’s no way the street is going to be converted to two-way with lanes that narrow. Now, if it could be reduced to one lane in each direction like the second rendering, that would free up a tonne of space for streetscape improvements. But as much as I’d love to see that, I don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon. The reality is a two-way Main St will probably be like John St South: two wider lanes in each direction, slightly wider sidewalks—an improvement over the status quo, but hardly an urbanist paradise.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 1:05 AM

I really fail to see how they couldn't get 4 lanes in there and a bike lane as well. The road is currently 5 lanes wide. So using one lane for the bike road makes perfect sense and clearly will work.

I actually disagree with your position, that it will end up like John. The city is going through a certain renaissance right now for urban planning. The conversion is nearly one aspect to the council motion from yesterday. An overall better public realm was the other aspect. I expect them to do something great here.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 1:44 AM

Quote:
I really fail to see how they couldn't get 4 lanes in there and a bike lane as well. The road is currently 5 lanes wide. So using one lane for the bike road makes perfect sense and clearly will work.

I actually disagree with your position, that it will end up like John. The city is going through a certain renaissance right now for urban planning. The conversion is nearly one aspect to the council motion from yesterday. An overall better public realm was the other aspect. I expect them to do something great here.
I hope you’re right that they’ll do something great! I was just trying to clarify the arithmetic: Main isn’t quite as wide as people think it is because the lanes are narrower than standard lanes, and if it gets converted to two-way the lanes will need to be wider. That means there isn’t a lot of space for streetscape improvements unless they eliminate more than one lane. Maybe they’ll have the courage to do so—that would be amazing! I’m just a tad sceptical.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 1:55 AM

The bike lanes in Hamilton are 3.15 m wide. Measuring off of the Hunter Street lane. Main Street at the location where that image was taken is 15.25 m wide. That leaves 12.10 m for 4 lanes. That would be just over 3 m for each lane. You're right, a little narrow.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corktowner View Post
I hope you’re right that they’ll do something great! I was just trying to clarify the arithmetic: Main isn’t quite as wide as people think it is because the lanes are narrower than standard lanes, and if it gets converted to two-way the lanes will need to be wider. That means there isn’t a lot of space for streetscape improvements unless they eliminate more than one lane. Maybe they’ll have the courage to do so—that would be amazing! I’m just a tad sceptical.
They're wide for the type of street it is, but according to the new Ontario Traffic Manual they're actually not that narrow. The new OTM says bus and truck lanes should be 3.3m wide and other car lanes should be 3m wide with a minimum of 2.7m. I will measure with Google, but I'm pretty sure Main Street's lanes are perfect acceptable if it were to be converted to two way, and could possibly be made narrower than the exist today without issues. The edge lane would need to be 3.3m, but the inside lane could be 2.7 - 3m wide.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 3:24 AM

If Main ends up being two lanes in each direction, I expect the city will go with the OTM standard: 3.3m for the curb lanes and 3m for the inner lanes, for a total of 12.6m. As Honest Maple noted, Main is 15.25m wide. That leaves 2.65m—enough for wider sidewalks and some little trees, but nowhere near enough for bike lanes. The only way to turn Main into a beautiful “complete street” is to take it down to three lanes or less.

FWIW I wonder if we might be better off keeping Main one-way but narrowing it to three lanes…

Last edited by Corktowner; May 13, 2022 at 3:28 AM. Reason: Corrected acronym

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 3:26 AM

St Clair in Toronto has 2.8m wide lanes next to the streetcar platforms from my understanding. I’m not aware of any streets with 2.8m lanes across the entire street, even in Toronto. Generally if a street has any amount of truck traffic whatsoever they need to be 3m minimum though, and anything less is only used in unusual circumstances.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure