HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I always just assumed that the residents in the West Hills with the deepest pockets must be at or above that 500 feet mark in elevation, protecting their easterly views. I bet if you go back to the comprehensive plans and their comments from the 70s, you'll find your answer.

It would be great if DLCD's rulemaking on Climate Ready and Equitable Communities had the ultimate effect of lifting the height limits. The Division 8 rulemaking doesn't speak to this specifically, but its other rules could maybe end up being a safe harbor for city staff and elected officials in lifting those limits for housing.
The height limits were set to protect views primarily from public spaces, such as Washington Park and Terwilliger Blvd. Height limits were set block by block (not all are 460') to protect view corridors - Mt. St. Helens from Terwilliger and Mt. Hood from Washington Park, as examples. No doubt many of those living in the Hills supported the concept.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 9:11 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Waste of land with that type of thinking. We need density..
Keep in mind, Barcelona is an entire city of 6-8 story buildings with a density of 41,000/sq mi compared to Portland's 4800/sq mi. Barcelona is also 39 sq mi compared to Portland which is 145 sq mi.

Now think about that one, almost 4 Barcelonas could fit in Portland with its 6-8 story buildings. Portland could do 1/4 of the city with 6-8 story buildings and would add the amount of population that lives in Barcelona on top of the size of Portland.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 11:27 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Keep in mind, Barcelona is an entire city of 6-8 story buildings with a density of 41,000/sq mi compared to Portland's 4800/sq mi. Barcelona is also 39 sq mi compared to Portland which is 145 sq mi.

Now think about that one, almost 4 Barcelonas could fit in Portland with its 6-8 story buildings. Portland could do 1/4 of the city with 6-8 story buildings and would add the amount of population that lives in Barcelona on top of the size of Portland.
Closer to home is Washington DC with no high-rises due to the city-wide height restriction that was instituted after the Cairo Apartments was built too tall in the early part of the 20th century. The decision had nothing to do with maintaining views of the Capitol dome or the Washington Monument. Without high-rises, the city has a lively density of 11,500 / sq mi while providing great access to sunlight and air to all of its residents.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Closer to home is Washington DC with no high-rises due to the city-wide height restriction that was instituted after the Cairo Apartments was built too tall in the early part of the 20th century. The decision had nothing to do with maintaining views of the Capitol dome or the Washington Monument. Without high-rises, the city has a lively density of 11,500 / sq mi while providing great access to sunlight and air to all of its residents.
Thank you both for providing the DATA that represents the reality of thoughtful density. Tall towers are cool and all, but will never pencil out with affordable or even reasonably priced housing attached.

I have been thinking that Portland is heading towards the DC model of density as apposed to the Vancouver BC version. Imagine what DC would be like with 200' blocks. It would be delightful, in my mind.

We'll still get the occasional 300'+ towers here and there, but the economic reality is stick frame over concrete, with some CLT/mass timber thrown in for good measure.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 5:50 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

I don't really think it's all that helpful comparing the density of a city that was around during the Roman Empire to a city that gained 86% of its population after the automobile.

I also don't think lifting the height limit is essential to meeting some magical density figure. Still, even as progressive as Portland and Oregon are in their policies, the historic timeline of our development patterns along with just simply most Americans' expectations (yes, even Oregonians) for space, their comfort levels with density, and especially their tendency to be parochial and violently individualistic, is a lot different than Europeans, or the rest of the world for that matter. Spain also observes the cultural practice of siestas, which I absolutely love and wish we'd adopt, but that doesn't mean I think there should be a city-wide mandate to shutdown for three hours starting at 2 p.m. everyday.

Could you imagine if some deep-pocketed out-of-state company just started buying up entire blocks and installing Barcelona level density all over neighborhoods in Portland? Holy shit, the cries of gentrification, displacement, and from historic preservationists etc. would reach a crescendo the likes San Francisco hasn't even seen. Which, in my mind, is all the more reason that we should allow higher levels of density and lift the height restrictions in places where it's more appropriate.

Give us some of the real reasons why they're there in the first place, why they make sense, define the public good of the height limits and why the benefits of those limits outweigh the potential public good of lifting them, and then people can have an honest discussion about whether or not it makes sense. As of right now, it sounds like it's on super soft footing.

The best answer I heard so far was to protect views from public places. Still, I don't even think there are many places where you can see Mt. Hood from most of Washington Park except in the most fleeting of places due to the tree canopy. And as for Terwilliger Blvd. and Mt. Saint Helens is concerned, were those limits put in place before the top blew off? Also, looking at Terwilliger, I'm not even sure downtown is in the direct line of site of Saint Helens judging by maps. Is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Again, I have no clue what this has to do with Portland. Despite the Capitol Building myth, there is literally no reason for maintaining the height limit based on its original premise because it was based on the yet untested building form and limitations of fire departments at the time that of course have been solved in literally every other major city of the world for the last hundred or so years. The height limit there is in place to maintain and preserve character, which in Oregon is actually illegal due to our clear and objective standards for needed housing outlined in 660-008-0015.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 6:04 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
Thank you both for providing the DATA that represents the reality of thoughtful density. Tall towers are cool and all, but will never pencil out with affordable or even reasonably priced housing attached.
I'm sorry, what? I don't think anyone is talking supertall level housing developments, but you do know that every large residential development in Portland is required to include 20% affordable units, right?

They're also doing it in Detroit. Although this is no tall building per se, its height would be illegal in much of greater downtown Portland without bonuses.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 9:51 PM

I'd just like to see the height limit raised to 600' so that one day Portland might not have its tallest building named after a bank.

I think raising the height limit in areas that already have tall buildings is appropriate, and then developing the rest of the city at a more modest height of 4-7 stories.

However, if we're going to talk about achieving density at that height, we need to constantly be looking for areas to upzone, right now Portland's corridor approach to CM2/CM3 zoning is not sufficient. You need a grid of such zoning, not just a few streets that almost immediately step back down to R2.5 or R5 once you're one block away from that street.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, what? I don't think anyone is talking supertall level housing developments, but you do know that every large residential development in Portland is required to include 20% affordable units, right?

They're also doing it in Detroit. Although this is no tall building per se, its height would be illegal in much of greater downtown Portland without bonuses.
"As Figure 3 shows, construction costs change substantially depending on the building type, largely because of the change in materials. For example, a high-rise concrete structure might cost $75 or more per square foot than a six-story wood-frame (“stick”) structure on a concrete podium. If the site is zoned for a maximum building height of nine stories, the additional three stories of revenue generated by switching to the concrete structure may not be sufficient for the deal to “pencil out” (make sense financially). Because of the jump in construction costs, developers may not build to the maximum height or floor-to-area ratio (FAR) allowed under zoning, except in locations where expected rents per square foot are very high."

https://www.brookings.edu/research/m...building-them/

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 3:00 AM
A before E

Quote:
I don't really think it's all that helpful comparing the density of a city that was around during the Roman Empire to a city that gained 86% of its population after the automobile.

I also don't think lifting the height limit is essential to meeting some magical density figure. Still, even as progressive as Portland and Oregon are in their policies, the historic timeline of our development patterns along with just simply most Americans' expectations (yes, even Oregonians) for space, their comfort levels with density, and especially their tendency to be parochial and violently individualistic, is a lot different than Europeans, or the rest of the world for that matter. Spain also observes the cultural practice of siestas, which I absolutely love and wish we'd adopt, but that doesn't mean I think there should be a city-wide mandate to shutdown for three hours starting at 2 p.m. everyday.

Could you imagine if some deep-pocketed out-of-state company just started buying up entire blocks and installing Barcelona level density all over neighborhoods in Portland? Holy shit, the cries of gentrification, displacement, and from historic preservationists etc. would reach a crescendo the likes San Francisco hasn't even seen. Which, in my mind, is all the more reason that we should allow higher levels of density and lift the height restrictions in places where it's more appropriate.

Give us some of the real reasons why they're there in the first place, why they make sense, define the public good of the height limits and why the benefits of those limits outweigh the potential public good of lifting them, and then people can have an honest discussion about whether or not it makes sense. As of right now, it sounds like it's on super soft footing.

The best answer I heard so far was to protect views from public places. Still, I don't even think there are many places where you can see Mt. Hood from most of Washington Park except in the most fleeting of places due to the tree canopy. And as for Terwilliger Blvd. and Mt. Saint Helens is concerned, were those limits put in place before the top blew off? Also, looking at Terwilliger, I'm not even sure downtown is in the direct line of site of Saint Helens judging by maps. Is it?
Barcelona is actually a good example for Portland to follow because while the historic part of the city has been around since the Roman Empire, the bulk of the city was planned and constructed after 1860. When this was happening, Portland was about 30-40 years old.

I am not saying Portland needs to mimic the culture of Barcelona, though it would be better to be more like Europe than to be like America.

Oh yeah, we see that now when a small house gets torn down for a multi-unit building. Personally I don't mind that when it happens, though I do hate when a small house gets torn down for a giant single family house to be built, that I think it s missed opportunity to increase density. Obviously Portland would never be able to go full on Barcelona style developing because that would have needed to happen back in the early 1900s to be that kind of city, but there is still a possibility to be more like the Northwest District or Goose Hollow by allowing a variety of developments to increase density throughout the city.

I don't think height limits need to be lifted, especially since we can achieve some great density levels from 5-9 story buildings. I would like to see the city become more liberal with allowing for 15-30 story buildings outside of the city core. Obviously it would be great to see some more buildings like more Indigo size buildings going up in the city center with a few more 460ft towers. It would also be nice to see some taller towers in the Lloyd District to really turn that into an urban district of the city center.

The view of Mt St Helens from Terwilliger does go over the eastern part of downtown, though I would love to see them move the location for that scenic view to OHSU. It would be great to have a viewing platform above the tree line that gave a view of the city and mountains that connected to the Tram. In doing this, it could be a viewing platform that is the height of the Kohler Pavilion which would put it at 675ft and would make it easy to increase the height limit in that sightline to 600-650ft.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 3:58 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
I don't think height limits need to be lifted, especially since we can achieve some great density levels from 5-9 story buildings.
THIS.

Don't get me wrong, I think height limits should be lifted in certain parts of town, especially for projects that include housing... but surface parking lots and abandoned buildings are far more of a problem.

10 surface lots replaced with 9 story buildings would bring greater density to downtown than one 90 story building would.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 8:18 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
The Skyline we could have had

Here is something to consider, since many folks on this site want much taller buildings and a solid urban skyline. Portland would have had a much more dense, filled-in Downtown skyline if all of the high-rises in the Lloyd District, in South Waterfront, and at the Burnside Bridgehead were constructed in Downtown. Imagine that. Though none of them are 600-foot towers, the relocated high-rises would create a very urban Downtown.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 8:16 PM

Modera University District is now 16 floors:

https://twitter.com/jakedutt/status/...gGuKfdClqyR2og

(I’ll move the previous discussion re: this project to a new thread when I’m not on my phone.)

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 4:57 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland