HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 4:20 AM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
It was the Arizona Coyotes, and there is the Colorado Avalanche. Salt Lake is a weak ass city that depends on a broader metro where most of the work gets done in the valley. It’s gonna be called Utah because Salt Lake doesn’t deserve it. Even as we chat about this Salt Lake City is posturing against redevelopment around the Delta Center. They haven’t pulled off anything brilliant on their own since before the Olympics. Their most cutting edge and actionable idea over the last 8 years was lowering the speed limit to 20 miles per hour. It’s not a big ideas place.
Salt Lake City is, and will always be, first among equals in Utah. Everything you say applies 10x to every suburb, the majority of which are in "Salt Lake" County.

SLC Council should demand the team be called "Salt Lake ..." given the circumstances.

Last edited by Atlas; May 28, 2024 at 5:22 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 4:30 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Salt Lake City is, and will always be, princeps in Utah. First among equals. Everything you say applies 10x to every suburb, the majority of which are in "Salt Lake" County.

SLC Council should demand the team be called "Salt Lake ..." given the circumstances.
The City, if it had any boldness, would be aiming to fast track a totally new arena in the Fair Park / Power District. That would involve a vision and leadership. This renovation option is the worst option because it changes little around it and it makes it easier for a suburb to steal the team in say 10 years instead of 30 years. But hey, Salt Lake City seems to be settling for the renovation and now trying to reduce the level of investment around the Delta Center so, it’s basically the same shit as always, people outside of the city trying to force it to make bigger moves than infinite housing for upper middle and rich people.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; May 13, 2024 at 4:55 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 12:06 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
The City, if it had any boldness, would be aiming to fast track a totally new arena in the Fair Park / Power District. That would involve a vision and leadership. This renovation option is the worst option because it changes little around it and it makes it easier for a suburb to steal the team in say 10 years instead of 30 years. But hey, Salt Lake City seems to be settling for the renovation and now trying to reduce the level of investment around the Delta Center so, it’s basically the same shit as always, people outside of the city trying to force it to make bigger moves than infinite housing for upper middle and rich people.
An arena two-miles from downtown isn't much different than an arena twenty-miles from downtown. It's still the same issue: you're drawing people away from the core.

You can maybe get away with it for a MLB stadium because of its sheer size and the fact the Delta Center will still be in downtown Salt Lake. But move the arena west and that isn't the case anymore.

It's not just about keeping the arena in Salt Lake City's borders. It's about keeping the arena downtown.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 7:04 AM

I was listening to the 32 thoughts podcast, which is a prominent hockey podcast (think similar to the Lowe post for basketball). They had Ryan Smith on a few weeks ago and he discussed how they were planning to reorient the Delta Center. It's pretty interesting/unique.

From what he says the seating on each side of the goals/baskets will be re-done. On one side they will remove the suites and in their place there will be a continuous amount of rows of seats -- something like 52 rows for bball and 30 something for hockey. This will be similar to the new Clippers arena. On the other side they will remove a bunch of seats and there will be a wall of suites.

Go to about the 5-8 minute mark if you want to hear him discuss it. This will be very different but could be cool. https://youtu.be/1jTckGGCsDw?si=InikwD3y-xXp8msy

Last edited by mattreedah; May 27, 2024 at 7:54 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 6:09 PM

Quote:
The legislature gave them money to rebuild the Delta Center in place. They didn't give them money to rebuild it somewhere else in the city. That's why this is happening this way.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 8:20 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

I’m super concerned about conventions in downtown. As much as I feel that opening the streets back up would be a good thing… I don’t know how large conventions would continue to operate in downtown without the continuous amount of floor space that the salt palace offers… you simply can’t offer that by splitting up the three blocks… unless the plan is to put the convention space, underground, or elevated up above ground with tunnels, running under it. Never mind. FanX and Outdoor retailers and other conventions bring a lot of people into downtow. I don’t think we should discard that

One potential solution that I could see would be to demolish the remaining nonresidential portion of The Gateway mall and relocate the salt Palace there… then the whole sports entertainment district could sit between the Delta center and downtown… I actually think where the gateway is would be a great place for a new convention center. And they could offer a lot of continuous floor space there without being disruptive to the flow of downtow.

Removing gateway, wood displace Megaplex and a few other things.. but The Miller group is already heavily involved with the redevelopment of the Utah power district on North Temple… perhaps it would make sense to relocate some of that stuff there. With the decline in theater attendance I think they might be better off putting a smaller theater on North Temple, which would put it closer to the residential areas… and then they could put another smaller one at trolley Square for the people on that side of the city… or. I’m pretty sure that Macy’s is eventually going to close that location at city Creek Center… they could move Dillards over there because that should always be a department store… and then convert Dillards into a movie theater

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I’m super concerned about conventions in downtown. As much as I feel that opening the streets back up would be a good thing… I don’t know how large conventions would continue to operate in downtown without the continuous amount of floor space that the salt palace offers… you simply can’t offer that by splitting up the three blocks… unless the plan is to put the convention space, underground, or elevated up above ground with tunnels, running under it. Never mind. FanX and Outdoor retailers and other conventions bring a lot of people into downtow. I don’t think we should discard that

One potential solution that I could see would be to demolish the remaining nonresidential portion of The Gateway mall and relocate the salt Palace there… then the whole sports entertainment district could sit between the Delta center and downtown… I actually think where the gateway is would be a great place for a new convention center. And they could offer a lot of continuous floor space there without being disruptive to the flow of downtow.

Removing gateway, wood displace Megaplex and a few other things.. but The Miller group is already heavily involved with the redevelopment of the Utah power district on North Temple… perhaps it would make sense to relocate some of that stuff there. With the decline in theater attendance I think they might be better off putting a smaller theater on North Temple, which would put it closer to the residential areas… and then they could put another smaller one at trolley Square for the people on that side of the city… or. I’m pretty sure that Macy’s is eventually going to close that location at city Creek Center… they could move Dillards over there because that should always be a department store… and then convert Dillards into a movie theater
The gateway is used a lot more often than I think people on this forum consider. Flanker, the many restaurants, movie theater etc are pretty active all days of the week. Add the Asher Adams opening and it’s not going anywhere.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juancrocco View Post
The gateway is used a lot more often than I think people on this forum consider. Flanker, the many restaurants, movie theater etc are pretty active all days of the week. Add the Asher Adams opening and it’s not going anywhere.
I’m like 110% positive Mayors Wilson (especially) and Mendenhall understand better what is needed for the convention center to thrive than we do here on this board.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 2:58 AM
They all float down here

Much of the Salt Palace's last expansion was an attempt to keep the Outdoor Retailer Show and when they came back, the show actually needed less space overall, so, decreasing the size might not be much of an issue. The County certainly doesn't seem too concerned about it.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 2:41 PM

Came across this interview with Ryan Smith the other day talking about how they're going to renovate the Delta Center to make it work for hockey... Very interesting what they are thinking about doing. Nothing's set it seems, but the idea is to make the lower bowl not uniform where it'll be behind the goals: One end could be changed to just a "wall" of suites as he puts it, stacked on top of each other, I assume with some open seating down low at court/ice level... Then, the other end would be similar to what they're doing at the new Clippers arena, a continuous wall of seating that extends up maybe 50 unbroken rows. Google the Intuit Dome to see what they mean. That way, those seats can be extended out further for basketball games, or extended out less far for hockey, but keeping the same number of rows for each. So the court and ice wouldn't be centered exactly if you look straight down from above. Can't wait to see renderings of what they actually come up with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jTckGGCsDw&t=316s

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
Came across this interview with Ryan Smith the other day talking about how they're going to renovate the Delta Center to make it work for hockey...
I made this exact same post yesterday.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
I made this exact same post yesterday.
Oh haha didn't see your post! It'll be interesting to see an off-center court for basketball and hockey, you always think of arenas as being symmetrical, but I guess it's never symmetrical for baseball and that's one of the cool things about the sport. Football as well in a way, Rice-Eccles has the suite area on the south end.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:14 PM

Ryan Smith said today that Mammoth and Yeti are 2 of the top 4 names considered for the next round of voting.

My guess is Outlaws and Swarm are the other two

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:39 PM
Space Magi

I like Yeti and Outlaws.

Salt Lake Swarm sounds better than Utah Swarm.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:57 PM
They all float down here

Mammoth is the best. It can tie to the state (the Columbia Mammoth was found here - not the Wolly, tho). Outlaws is a generic create-a-team name that isn't original and has no real association with Utah. Swarm would be a good one I think.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 11:05 PM

I would be okay with Yeti or Mammoth. They have many of the same positives. Mammoths were native to Utah, Yeti has better alliteration.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 11:08 PM

What about something that ends with "zz"?

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This joke is about 20 years too late.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I think that's the argument some are using for the 'Blizzard' name. I guess it's like DOGE coin, where it's a joke but it would be really funny if it became a serious thing..

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:21 AM

My issue with mammoth is it is difficult to make it plural. It's not very natural to call them the Utah mammoths. "Goal for the Utah Mammoths! What a great period for the Mammoth!" Even just mammoth sounds weird to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West