HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 9:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
Old Time Meat Market Inc. is moving to 711 Coverdale Rd. (old Campbell's Auto building)

$100,000 in renos imminent.
The Olde Time Meat Market is now open.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:06 AM
Random Contributor

Last edited by riverviewer; Jun 13, 2018 at 11:18 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:14 AM
Random Contributor

https://www.townofriverview.ca/town-...n-improvements

Project Stats:

Five new lanes to add capacity to vehicle movement through intersection
Textured ground surface plates and audible signals to improve pedestrian accessibility.
Video camera lane detection, LED street lights and traffic lights.
Extending multi-use trail on Gunningsville Boulevard to the intersection to improve bike lane connectivity.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
If the new intersection looks anything like this when they are done it will be a beautiful intersection but unfortunatly I don't think most who use it will know how too even with the lines indicating where to go. It's going to be the roundabouts just worst because 2 way trafic. For all those who have dashcams Be careful, and have fun filming.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:36 PM

I don't see anything out of the ordinary with the new lanes. Double turning lanes are quite common in the Moncton area.

The only issue I see is traffic coming from Hillsborough rd having to yield upon entry to the bridge. That may cause some back ups. Also, I hope the guardrail is set back enough that visibility is not impaired. In Fredericton, the Westmorland st bridge on-ramps from the north side are an example of poor visibility that should be avoided.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:49 PM

It still baffles me as to why they won't make three lanes available on the bridge one way in the morning and the other way in the evening. Other cities do it for peak times on bridges. Either way, your going down to two lanes once your past the bridge on the Riverview side so your still going to have bottlenecks. At least they are doing something and I hope it works out.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:05 PM

I agree with you. I'm quite impressed with the changes BUT I'm fortunate enough that I will never be traveling onto the bridge from Hillsborough Rd. There will be a back-up there.

I give the town a A- for the redesign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
I don't see anything out of the ordinary with the new lanes. Double turning lanes are quite common in the Moncton area.

The only issue I see is traffic coming from Hillsborough rd having to yield upon entry to the bridge. That may cause some back ups. Also, I hope the guardrail is set back enough that visibility is not impaired. In Fredericton, the Westmorland st bridge on-ramps from the north side are an example of poor visibility that should be avoided.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
It still baffles me as to why they won't make three lanes available on the bridge one way in the morning and the other way in the evening. Other cities do it for peak times on bridges. Either way, your going down to two lanes once your past the bridge on the Riverview side so your still going to have bottlenecks. At least they are doing something and I hope it works out.
Probably because those situations are usually more hassle than they are worth, and I don't think anywhere in the Maritimes (maybe in Halifax) reaches traffic levels to warrant that sort of traffic scheme. I often hear people suggesting a similar lane shifting scheme for the Westmoreland bridge in Fredericton, and at least up here, for the 30 minutes of heavy traffic we get each way each day, it just doesn't feel worth it.

I suspect that Moncton at that bridge is similar. Maybe if the traffic is snarled up there for over an hour each way each day, then it might be worth looking into; but I would hope the cities would look into other options first.

Quote:

Yeah Westmorland bridge southbound's entrance ramps are a PITA. It's the main reason I make sure to come down the main highway instead of trying to merge in. Looks like for Moncton it shouldn't be that bad. The ramps are level with the road they are merging onto so the line of sight shouldn't be too bad. Westmoreland's big issue is the ramps are below the road level until you are forced to merge; so you can't easily see if there's traffic in the lane you are coming into until you are practically there.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Probably because those situations are usually more hassle than they are worth, and I don't think anywhere in the Maritimes (maybe in Halifax) reaches traffic levels to warrant that sort of traffic scheme. I often hear people suggesting a similar lane shifting scheme for the Westmoreland bridge in Fredericton, and at least up here, for the 30 minutes of heavy traffic we get each way each day, it just doesn't feel worth it.

I suspect that Moncton at that bridge is similar. Maybe if the traffic is snarled up there for over an hour each way each day, then it might be worth looking into; but I would hope the cities would look into other options first.
I was thinking more for the year 2020 when the traffic from the causeway closure moves to the bridge. After completion of the new bridge, then they can go back to normal operations. This isn't rocket science or a hassle.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:09 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
but I would hope the cities would look into other options first.
Like a temporary Hovercraft Ferry Service?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
The only issue I see is traffic coming from Hillsborough rd having to yield upon entry to the bridge. That may cause some back ups.
I agree. The only people getting screwed with this new traffic alignment for the Gunningsville Bridge are inbound commuters heading to Moncton from East Riverview and Hillsborough.

I wonder why they were chosen to be the sacrificial lambs????

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I agree. The only people getting screwed with this new traffic alignment for the Gunningsville Bridge are inbound commuters heading to Moncton from East Riverview and Hillsborough.

Could it have to do with the Potential new bridge they keep bringing up every few years.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:28 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Could it have to do with the Potential new bridge they keep bringing up every few years.
Nope.

Simple fact is at least 85% (if not more) of Riverview's population lies to the west of Gunningsville Bridge. It makes sense to optimize the new traffic alignment to cater to the majority of commuters.

This doesn't change the fact that if I lived in Point Park and worked in downtown Moncton that I would be pretty pissed over this.........

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 8:44 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:

To ensure fairness, they are installing "Video camera lane detection". Combined with AI, the video could tell the controller when any lane is filling up, and automatically adjust the lights to clear all traffic from that direction.

The problem of left turners hogging the lanes can be solved using a method like Dieppe's custom "red left turn light." By using two left lanes from West, you move twice the traffic in half the time. Then the AI stops the left turners to give East Riverview a dedicated right turn opportunity for all their traffic.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 12:16 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Big Deal Market from Bathurst is opening a second location at the Chocolate River Station in Riverview.

http://huddle.today/bathursts-big-de...-to-riverview/

huddle photo

The new store will be immediately next to the Briggs Maple Shop.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Big Deal Market from Bathurst is opening a second location at the Chocolate River Station in Riverview.

http://huddle.today/bathursts-big-de...-to-riverview/

huddle photo

The new store will be immediately next to the Briggs Maple Shop.
So it's a small scale grocery store. I will not be doing out of my way to go here but I do hope they do well.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 11:38 AM

Buddha Bear Riverview

Buddha Bear Riverview / Holy Whale Brewing announced on their Facebook page that they are now licensed to serve beer at their shipping container location on the riverfront by the Chocolate River Station.

There will be a roped off section of the boardwalk for seating. They will have multiple local beers on tap.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Buddha Bear Riverview / Holy Whale Brewing announced on their Facebook page that they are now licensed to serve beer at their shipping container location on the riverfront by the Chocolate River Station.

There will be a roped off section of the boardwalk for seating. They will have multiple local beers on tap.
Sounds like a great way to spend the Canada Day weekend.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Rumour of Global Pet Foods opening another metro store in Pinewood Plaza next to Papa John's.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 13, 2018 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Rumour of Global Pet Foods opening another metro store in Pinewood Plaza next to Papa John's.
I feel as though a Pet store with a solid name behind it like Global will do really well in Riverview.

As a pet owner who might need last minute food supplies living in Riverview it can be abit of a pain to have to drive all the way through Dieppe or Mountain Rd traffic to grab a bag of food. Since I work downtown I have no "on the way home" option. and there's no options in Riverview for high quality food. Riverview being so suburban has tons of dog and cat owners.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces