HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 2:28 PM

You know what ticks me off? We've had a lane closed on Main Street since (at least) August, 2012, and for some reason, the Whiteheads of the world still think closing one lane on Aberdeen will bring the city to a standstill.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 8:27 PM

Hamilton to study pedestrian-friendly Aberdeen Avenue

Hamilton Spectator
A review of Aberdeen Avenue with a "complete streets" focus to make it safer for pedestrians and cyclists is on the way.

Coun. Aidan Johnson said the study boils down to the health and safety of children and seniors who use the busy Kirkendall thoroughfare.

Johnson stressed he wants to make Aberdeen a more pedestrian- and cyclist-friendly street, but not to the exclusion of motorists.

The effort, he added, is not about competing urban-suburban interests, referring to concerns that potentially cutting a section of Aberdeen down to two lanes of traffic will bottle up Mountain drivers making their way to the lower city or 403.

"This is not about pitting neighbourhood against neighbourhood," Johnson said during Tuesday's general issues committee meeting.

A group of Kirkendall residents addressed Tuesday's general issues committee meeting to voice support for Johnson's motion.

Doctor Haier Saeed said Aberdeen is a "major impediment" for what is a "very walkable neighbourhood."

Parents of elementary schoolchildren won't let their kids walk or bike alone on the east-west avenue, said Christi Hodgson, vice-chair of the Earl Kitchener parent council.

"It's a heavily travelled but residential neighbourhood," Hodgson said.

Ned Nolan, president of the Kirkendall Neighbourhood Association, emphasized a complete streets rethink of Aberdeen isn't a radical idea.

Nolan said proposed measures should be subject to "careful study by experts" with consideration to community concerns.

Coun. Terry Whitehead said he supported the "spirit" of Johnson's effort, but argued reducing Aberdeen to two lanes would make Mountain accesses more congested.

But Whitehead said he looks "forward to the comprehensive approach" to the Aberdeen study.

The Aberdeen study will take place after the city's transportation master plan review is completed.

This will make sure it's not done without the context of the bigger picture, but before light-rail plans are finalized, Johnson noted.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/61...erdeen-avenue/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:06 AM

Gonna study it next year eh? Geez this pace of change is exhausting. Phew. I need a nap.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 1:15 AM

^Our local government is lethargic, unwieldy, incompetent and corrupt.

City councillor: 'This intersection needs a zebra stripe.'

City staffer: 'Hmmmm better defer that decision until next year when we can form a citizen panel and then debate the issue ad nauseam until people grow weary and give up...'

JUST PAINT THE F***ING STRIPES ALREADY!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:07 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Was Wilson always two way? I could have sworn it used to be one way...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Wilson east of Victoria is one way. Not sure about it's past but it's current design is horrible, mostly due to letting 18-wheel transport trucks use it despite having narrow lanes.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 5:14 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
It was one-way. West of Victoria it switched over to bi-directional traffic from late 2010 to mid-2011, in sections.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/22...o-way-traffic/

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 10:14 PM

Worng spot

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 1:22 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Are there any spots in Hamilton where a one way street switches directions?
I found one in Ottawa a while back, and I've been trying remember if I've ever seen that in Hamilton or not. I don't think so, but obviously I haven't been everywhere.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Are there any spots in Hamilton where a one way street switches directions?
I found one in Ottawa a while back, and I've been trying remember if I've ever seen that in Hamilton or not. I don't think so, but obviously I haven't been everywhere.
I can't think of a sudden switch, but you cannot drive the length of Aberdeen either way. The first half-block or so is westbound only from James, while Queen to Bay is eastbound only. So, it sort of changes direction, but with a bit of an overlap.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishap View Post
I can't think of a sudden switch, but you cannot drive the length of Aberdeen either way. The first half-block or so is westbound only from James, while Queen to Bay is eastbound only. So, it sort of changes direction, but with a bit of an overlap.
There are plenty of streets that are one way for a stretch and then become two way, but I can't think of a one way that switches from on direction to another.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
There are plenty of streets that are one way for a stretch and then become two way, but I can't think of a one way that switches from on direction to another.
Aberdeen almost does... just not all at once. So now I'm wondering, are they any other streets in Hamilton having segments that are one-way in opposing directions?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 5:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

Duke and Bold go two-way Monday

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/68...wo-way-monday/

Duke and Bold streets will no longer be one-way streets as of Monday as part of multi-year plan to convert numerous streets in Hamilton to two-way.
Hamilton Spectator

Duke and Bold streets will no longer be one-way streets as of Monday as part of multi-year plan to convert numerous streets in Hamilton to two-way.

City workers have been working on signage and other changes this week in preparation for the changeover of the streets between James and Queen streets, said Martin White, the manager of traffic operations and engineering for the city.

A Town Hall meeting was held in March 2015 to discuss the issue with residents who raised concerns about the loss of parking. Councillor Jason Farr said since that time city staff took a hard look at the issue, and there will now be a net increase of 33 parking spaces.

Farr said he believes the conversion will lead to a calming of traffic on both streets. And that is a view shared by Janice Brown, a former president of the Durand Neighbourhood Association who lives on Duke Street.

Other streets that have converted under the city plan include James and John streets as well as a section of Caroline Street.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 12:10 AM

It's been a tremendous run of successful two-way conversions these past, what, 15 years? Attaboy, City of Hamilton.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 2:19 AM
It's Hammer Time

Dreschel: Making Queen two-way back on burner

Hamilton Spectator
By Andrew Dreschel
http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story...ack-on-burner/

In a surprise move, Coun. Terry Whitehead is calling for two-way traffic on Queen Street all the way from Aberdeen Avenue to King Street West.

The west Mountain councillor intends to put forward a motion for a $150,000 feasibility and design study at a public works meeting later this month.

Whitehead — who has periodically clashed with lower city councillors over street changes and bike lanes — argues two-waying Queen will help the flow of Mountain commuter traffic and reduce traffic loads on intersecting residential roads.

His one "caveat" is he wants to maintain a minimum of three lanes — one running north, one south, and one "reversible," based on peak hours and staff advice.

Whitehead proposes to pay for the study by dipping equally into area rating budgets from his own Ward 8 and that of Wards 1 and 2.

Couns. Aidan Johnson (Ward 1) and Jason Farr (Ward 2) are "delighted" by the sudden initiative.

Queen is the border street between Johnson's and Farr's wards. Mostly a one-way arterial, it's also a Mountain access road into Whitehead's turf via Queen Street hill.

Currently Queen is only two-way between Aberdeen and Herkimer. Between Herkimer and the merge with Stuart Street, it's one-way southbound.

Johnson has advocated further two-way conversion for the sake of traffic calming since the 2014 election, and Farr has pushed it for years, originally in tandem with Brian McHattie, Johnson's council predecessor.

If approved by council, Farr believes Whitehead's motion will "prioritize" the conversion when council debates the city's updated transportation master plan, which is expected to land before the end of the year.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 4:50 PM

Wentworth Street slated for two-way conversion

AM900 CHML | Hamilton News: October 17, 2016

Hamilton’s Wentworth Street is slated to become a two-way this upcoming Sunday.

The change will take place between Barton Street East and Delaware Avenue.

Crews will begin making adjustments to the pavement markings and signage starting Tuesday.

There will be no parking on the east side of the street between Barton and Main as of Sunday, in order to accommodate two-way traffic.

The conversion is one of several approved by city council in last two years and is part of Hamilton’s Transportation Master Plan.

Extra caution is being advised while travelling through this area in the coming months.

Wentworth will remain one-way southbound through this week.

http://www.900chml.com/2016/10/17/we...y-converstion/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 7:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton LRT planning resurrects two-way Main Street debate

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/69...street-debate/

LRT planning has resurrected the always-contentious debate over converting Hamilton's Main Street to two-way traffic.

Downtown Coun. Jason Farr will pitch a motion next month asking planners to look at "two-way option" for the city's busiest and widest one-way traffic artery as part of ongoing planning for the city's $1-billion light rail transit project.

Provincial transit agency Metrolinx recommended such a change as early as 2010 as part of a cost-benefit analysis of LRT in Hamilton, but the city council of the time voted to ignore the advice.

As late as August, city LRT planners said traffic studies had so far suggested the project could go ahead without a radical makeover on Main.

Farr stressed at a LRT committee meeting Tuesday he was seeking information about the pros and cons of such a move, not "wholesale change tomorrow."

He anticipated the study being conducted as part of a long-anticipated oft-delayed master transportation plan update.

That overarching transportation plan was supposed to be presented this fall, but now likely won't come to council before next spring.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 7:55 PM

Main St. is the best solution and could become a complete street

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

City study gives the green light on a 2-way Queen Street
Public Works Committee meets Monday to discuss feasibility study

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...sion-1.4114798

A new study says the conversion of Queen Street into a two-way operation between King Street and Aberdeen Avenue is 'physically and operationally feasible.'

The Public Works Committee will meet Monday morning to discuss the study outlining the possibility of converting Queen Street South to a two-way street.

The March study prepared by AECOM Canada Ltd concludes that Queen Street can be converted from a one-way to a two-way traffic operation from Aberdeen Avenue to Main Street.

The report suggests several ways to convert the street, but indicates that 'Alternative three' (one northbound and two southbound lanes between Main Street and Herkimer Avenue) is the preferred alternative if a conversion is to be implemented.

The council motion originally suggested the conversion stretch to King Street although the study concluded far too many unresolved issues dealing with the B-Line LRT project. Until issues are resolved, it's recommended to revisit this section.

The conversion comes with a price tag of approximately $1 million, according to Ward 2 councillor, Jason Farr.

"If we're going to do it, I've said let's do it right," said Farr. "A million bucks is going to be the kind of Queen Street I think a lot of the locals residents in the lower city that live in a close proximity to Queen, desire."

The proposed conversion isn't currently in a work plan or a capital budget, but could be if council places it as a priority.

A number of downtown area streets have been on a list the 2008 Downtown Transportation Master Plan recommended converting.

Queen Street has not been on the current conversion schedule although it has been on a list of potential conversions along with other one-way streets.

Farr and another councillors did a walkabout around five years ago and said the unanimous feeing he got from residents was that the conversion would mitigate traffic concerns and create efficiencies for commuters.

Farr admitted that in the past there has been concerns over the way wards were communicating on the matter, particularly on the Mountain in Ward 8.

He says that he's been in contact with Ward 8 councillor Terry Whitehead and Ward 1 councillor Aidan Johnson and they want to work on this together.

Council approved the study last October.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:37 AM
Ham-burgher

A two-waying all the way to King could make Clr Whitehead very happy. I'm not sure why the LRT should make for additional study -- having one northbound lane that turns west onto King doesn't seem like it would require much thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
City study gives the green light on a 2-way Queen Street
Public Works Committee meets Monday to discuss feasibility study

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...sion-1.4114798

A new study says the conversion of Queen Street into a two-way operation between King Street and Aberdeen Avenue is 'physically and operationally feasible.'

The Public Works Committee will meet Monday morning to discuss the study outlining the possibility of converting Queen Street South to a two-way street.

The March study prepared by AECOM Canada Ltd concludes that Queen Street can be converted from a one-way to a two-way traffic operation from Aberdeen Avenue to Main Street.

The report suggests several ways to convert the street, but indicates that 'Alternative three' (one northbound and two southbound lanes between Main Street and Herkimer Avenue) is the preferred alternative if a conversion is to be implemented.

The council motion originally suggested the conversion stretch to King Street although the study concluded far too many unresolved issues dealing with the B-Line LRT project. Until issues are resolved, it's recommended to revisit this section.

The conversion comes with a price tag of approximately $1 million, according to Ward 2 councillor, Jason Farr.

"If we're going to do it, I've said let's do it right," said Farr. "A million bucks is going to be the kind of Queen Street I think a lot of the locals residents in the lower city that live in a close proximity to Queen, desire."

The proposed conversion isn't currently in a work plan or a capital budget, but could be if council places it as a priority.

A number of downtown area streets have been on a list the 2008 Downtown Transportation Master Plan recommended converting.

Queen Street has not been on the current conversion schedule although it has been on a list of potential conversions along with other one-way streets.

Farr and another councillors did a walkabout around five years ago and said the unanimous feeing he got from residents was that the conversion would mitigate traffic concerns and create efficiencies for commuters.

Farr admitted that in the past there has been concerns over the way wards were communicating on the matter, particularly on the Mountain in Ward 8.

He says that he's been in contact with Ward 8 councillor Terry Whitehead and Ward 1 councillor Aidan Johnson and they want to work on this together.

Council approved the study last October.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure