HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 4:13 PM

I'd love to go bigger, but I plan on doing the major blocks in the vicinity of the main branch of the river (North Loop, Mag Mile, etc.) so it would be cost-prohibitive for me to try to build at a larger scale. Most of the buildings at this scale don't have too much individual appeal, but I think once they are all put together and are part of a single scene it will still look pretty nice.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 6:05 PM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
Speaking of, have you made anything new JSR?( ha, I remebered)
Right now I have nine new buildings underway in various stages of completion. I can't promise they will all be finished this year. Finding time to work on them has been a problem lately. I am planning on having two of them ready for display in March at this year's Brickbash event in Ann Arbor MI.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 9:22 PM

Well, I made this back in high school, but it looks pretty good. I might try to make a tower 2.0 soon

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
Right now I have nine new buildings underway in various stages of completion. I can't promise they will all be finished this year. Finding time to work on them has been a problem lately. I am planning on having two of them ready for display in March at this year's Brickbash event in Ann Arbor MI.
Any allusions youd like to make?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 6:28 AM

For those who like the Marketplace, Cafe corner and Green Grocer sets, but are on the cheap side,check this out.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3040758

Hes got quite a talent.
Btw, if youre into the full size versions(like me) , the creator says theres atleast one more coming out and likely many more, and maybe an interior set for Cafe Corner(since it didnt come with any interiors)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 12:37 AM
Lowe's

^ I love those!!! I actually have all three of those buildings in full size

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 1:36 AM

Yea I cant wait for more. I have plans to buy the other two(all I have is Cafe corner).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lar_Houses.jpg

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:06 PM

Here are some more pictures; these builders are not mine, but done by others:

Last edited by Creator; Jan 26, 2009 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 8:24 PM
Meh

I so want that Flatiron model!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 9:18 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I so want that Flatiron model!

Sorry, that is owned by my friend Chris Leach. I took this picture by the way!

Most of the other pictures look like they might be from a new LEGOland center that opened near the Woodfield Mall in the Chicago suburb of Schaumberg. Thus those LEGO buildings were built by LEGO professionals.

Last edited by DecoJim; Jan 28, 2009 at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Most of the other pictures look like they might be from a new LEGOland center that opened near the Woodfield Mall in the Chicago suburb of Schaumberg. Thus those LEGO buildings were built by LEGO professionals.

The Nordstrom building is from the North Bridge Mall Lego Store in Chicago (there are some other models in that store as well, like the JHC, a Marriott Hotel, and the bottom of the sears tower if I remember correctly); the rest of the pics are from lego professionals as well. The last is a pic of Berlin, and the others are models from Chicago: Water Tower Place, JHC, etc. Ironic that the top pic was taken by you, it’s a small world. Are we going to be seeing the Guardian Building in the near future? Also, nice job on the Ford Building so far; really liking it.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 8:23 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Creator:
I did a little investigation. It looks like photobucket user Roadster99 "borrowed" a photo I took from my brickshelf account: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3228074
I guess I will have to start putting watermarks or copyright notices on my photos!

I would like to build a model of the Guardian Building, but the cost may be prohibitive. Its a large 40 story building and Dark Orange is not a common LEGO color.

Here is an update on my Ford Building construction:

Day 15:

I took this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/decojim/3207295998/

Day 20:

I took this photo.

To answer an earlier question, this building will break down into 5 sections so it can be transported to train shows and other displays.

Jibba:
I like your Chicago plans, I think you are right - once you get a large enough area of the city done, it will look very impressive. If time and money permits, you should see if you can do the Loop as well as the area immediately around the river.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 4:55 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

somthing like str's model but in lego instead? that be cool

anyhow i got 4000 1x2 bricks deleverd to me yesterday did some work today... now i need to get bricks for my floor plates

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 7:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

where i am at now

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 5:50 AM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
Any allusions youd like to make?
No, other than I think it is the most challenging micro skyscraper model I have ever built and it's also the most beautiful. I did make significant building progress this weekend and the model is now entering the exciting phase*. I'd estimate no more than three weeks left to finish it. I started designing it five months ago.

*the point at which the model has reached a state of partial completion such that the builder believes it is possible to fully complete it.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 7:47 AM

I think I know, or have atleast two good ideas. I'm excited, I really love your work.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Creator:
I did a little investigation. It looks like photobucket user Roadster99 "borrowed" a photo I took from my brickshelf account: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3228074
I guess I will have to start putting watermarks or copyright notices on my photos!
I'm sorry Deco Jim, that photobucket account is mine. I was browsing images on google and came accross it as well as others and wanted to post the image here (don't know how to do it another way besides uploading it to an image hosting service and using the img url code). I will remove it from my photobucket.

I agree, some of those specialty colors are very expensive, but they make a world of difference on some structures. I guess that's one good thing about modern builidngs, they are always black, white, or gray. The art deco buildings are the ones with a variety of hard to find colors. I'm really loving the Ford Building!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 8:17 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

My Ford Building Model is nearing completion:

Day 30:

I took this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/decojim/3248982251/

The model is now about 4 feet high. This is my tallest non-Art Deco LEGO skyscraper model. The Ford Building is usually described as a Chicago School design with classical/Italian renaissance detailing. Construction began in 1907 and it was completed in 1909. Daniel Burnham who is credited with the design died in 1912.

Creator: about the image, no problem. If you find a image that you want to show that is not yours, you can get the URL for just the image by right-clicking on the image and selecting "View image" - it will appear by itself and you can grab the URL from the address bar. (you can also select "Copy image location" to get the URL in one step). You can then select the image button from the forum post tools and paste the URL. As long as you give credit and are linking to an image that is on a photo hosting site there should be no problem.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 2:23 AM

^Dang, DecoJim, that is incredible work. The cornice looks great--I can't wait to see it completed (not too much longer, no?).

1ajs, that first picture with the crane hovering overhead is wicked cool.

-------------------------------------

Quote:
...If time and money permits, you should see if you can do the Loop as well as the area immediately around the river.
Yes, I definitely want to do a Loop model if I can manage it. It would probably be a 5-year-long project for me, but I am definitely willing to put that amount of time into it. Also, I have digitally modeled a really nice El track that would make the Loop (a prerequisite, obviously), so after that it's a very simply grid system (with a few quirks) and a whole lotta buildings. I would likely try to closely replicate (as well as the scale would permit, natch) the more iconic/architecturally-significant buildings, and the rest would be anonymous placeholders whose only adherence to the characteristics of the actual buildings would be basic dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
somthing like str's model but in lego instead? that be cool
Exactly.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 8:53 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

txs jibba

my tower has temp laid off everyone sept for the ecurity do to a supply shortage

chicago lego mini model

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art