HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 11:53 PM

Honest to Gawd, all this insane gondola talk has every possible shade of The Simpsons' monorail envy, along with the laughable boosterism.

Do you people have ANY idea that stuff costs money, and dumb@ss ideas doubly so?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Honest to Gawd, all this insane gondola talk has every possible shade of The Simpsons' monorail envy, along with the laughable boosterism.

Do you people have ANY idea that stuff costs money, and dumb@ss ideas doubly so?
Are you saying things cost money?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:09 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
A gondola to put Edmonton on the map? Really?

It's an interesting idea alright and might make sense if crossing the river were a challenge with regular modes of transportation, but that's not the case. And honestly, do people really think tourists looking at vacations abroad are going to say "hey, look! Edmonton now has a gondola, let's ensure we make a stop there in order to ride it across the river and back!"

The hipsters and transit crowd will be all over this until the fad wears out and then the city is stuck with an albatross around it's neck

It's a cool idea, but not for Edmonton. The funicular is whimsy enough, we don't need a gondola, imo. Hard pass

I'd rather have something like water taxi service which I think would prove much more interesting a ride (and practical, seasonally) than a gondola
I very much dislike when people use 'iconic' or 'put us on the map', but it would be functional, usable, enjoyable and fun.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 5:11 AM

A gondola would be very functional if ETS operated... But it seems kind of redundant if/when circulator happens? I don't know if the experience would be different enough from walking the high level or taking the streetcar for it to be worth the price as attraction... MAYBE once rossdale is somewhere worth visiting. But if you're talking in the hundreds of millions, that'd be a sizeable chunk of the price of the circulator.

I know it'd never happen but top of 104th street stairs would be handier starting point for gondola, and end at 105th street stairs at southside. But to many resi windows and space constraints in that area would never let it happen.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 4:45 PM
Derp

Rossdale Linear Park (94 Ave - 101 St) is undergoing revitalization this spring/summer, scheduled to be completed by July 30th

http://www.rossdale.ca/news-events/2...ocket-park-rfp

Only link I could find with a rendering

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:01 PM
Community Guy

Get involved: River Crossing Redevelopment Workshop
April 23, 2018

Edmontonians are invited to share their perspectives on the future redevelopment of West Rossdale at an upcoming workshop for the River Crossing Business Plan.

Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2018
Time: 6:30 - 9 p.m. (doors open at 6)

During the workshop, members of the public can explore opportunities related to destination, transportation, complete communities and sustainability for the area.

The River Crossing Business Plan is a key step toward advancing the River Crossing vision of transforming West Rossdale into a vibrant community for all Edmontonians.

Feedback from this workshop will inform work on redevelopment concept design options. Further public engagement is planned for 2018.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/RiverCrossingPlan

Media contact:
Carla Putnam Kerr
Communications Advisor
780-496-3868

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 4:34 AM
Community Guy

@ianoyeg

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 6:48 PM
Unregistered User :(

^Nice to see people actually use it

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 6:56 PM
Community Guy

It regularly has people using it both for fun, commuting and lunches.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 11:15 PM

Is that wood finish supposed to be so... eclectic? It looks like a poorly-maintained sauna.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 11:18 PM
Community Guy

Patinas are just that... to me, it looks great.

*my buddy's company did the wood.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:48 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Is that wood finish supposed to be so... eclectic? It looks like a poorly-maintained sauna.
The wood is supposed to weather like that. It's a fantastic product if you ask me.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
The wood is supposed to weather like that. It's a fantastic product if you ask me.
Personal preferences, I guess. I'd prefer the finishing to look less like someone's too lazy to keep their property well-maintained.

(Same goes for the exposed metal rust finishes that are also in vogue.)

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 11:06 PM

I'd prefer if every single positive photo/post about Edmonton wasn't immediately followed by an ex-edmontonian scouring the photo for any little hint of something negative.. But, we can't always get what we want.

As for the funicular, I was pretty against it at first because I spend so much time in the river valley and (selfishly) didn't realize that for many there was a physical and/or perceived barrier to entering the river valley. It will be interesting to see if the city is following its level of use, but from an outside observer, every single time I've been by it has been quite busy. AND it's going to look even more amazing once summers full greenery arrives!

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 11:07 PM
Community Guy

^indeed. Not without some issues, but overall a very much net positive.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 9:23 PM
Community Guy

@ianoyeg

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:25 PM

Valley was packed the last few days.

the single track was also quite busy for MTBing. plus there are some incredible trails to ride in this city.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 7:29 PM
Community Guy

@ianoyeg

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 1:07 AM
A Better Place

^Looks like you were in Edmonton House?? My place there has the exact same view, albeit higher up.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 1:13 AM
Community Guy

34th for a meeting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton