HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 2:58 PM
That's no excuse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0773|=\ View Post
Didn't the improvements to TCH 16 from AB 216 to AB 21 already happen? They did some paving, widening, re-signing, etc. a couple years ago... I suppose they could be running six lanes all the way out to AB 21, plus some of the merges around the AB 216 interchange could use a longer auxiliary lane.
There was an extra lane put in on 16 east bound from just west of 17 Street NE/Broadmoor Boulevard to Sherwood Drive. But that's nothing compared to the dramatic modifications the 216/16 interchange will bring.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 3:00 PM

^Those were considered "minor" improvements that were part of the overlay. There could possibly be more improvements undertaken.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 10:30 PM
Derp

I really hope they figure something out other than lights at the crossings over Baseline from 216. That would actually make things worse imo. Even if they levelled the old approaches and just did a standard clover leaf, while expanding the bridge to handle 3 lanes of traffic per side, that would make a huge improvement.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
I really hope they figure something out other than lights at the crossings over Baseline from 216. That would actually make things worse imo. Even if they levelled the old approaches and just did a standard clover leaf, while expanding the bridge to handle 3 lanes of traffic per side, that would make a huge improvement.
Will not do a cloverleaf unless there's a C/D lane configuration with exits. Those interchanges are going the way of the dinosaur these days... the weave zones they create are deemed unacceptable for a 100+km/hr design speed. An A4 Parclo interchange reversed from the current configuration would likely meet the demands of traffic that are experienced in that interchange better than the current set-up.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 3:39 AM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Will not do a cloverleaf unless there's a C/D lane configuration with exits. Those interchanges are going the way of the dinosaur these days... the weave zones they create are deemed unacceptable for a 100+km/hr design speed. An A4 Parclo interchange reversed from the current configuration would likely meet the demands of traffic that are experienced in that interchange better than the current set-up.
Wasn't sure what an A4 Parclo interchange was. Googled it and read some interesting articles....
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 3:45 AM
Community Guy

Had one of the roughest approaches on a CRJ today coming in from LAX... unreal winds from calgary north.

Had the please of seeing denver, vegas, and lax.... reminds me how far YEG has come.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 3:59 AM
Urban Advocate

/\ well look who is back and isn't dead....
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 5:00 AM

Yeah, I experienced the same wind today on the QE2. So funny, all day today in Banff there wasn't a breeze or cloud in the sky, and as soon as I reached Airdrie there were big storm clouds and howling wind... crazy how much Alberta weather can vary!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 4:08 AM
That's no excuse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
^Those were considered "minor" improvements that were part of the overlay. There could possibly be more improvements undertaken.
Ummmmmm ....

Okay, what "overlay?" And what possible improvements do you foresee prior to the NE 216 improvements?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaportrail View Post
Ummmmmm ....

Okay, what "overlay?" And what possible improvements do you foresee prior to the NE 216 improvements?

This was work done circa 2007 or 2006

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 7:58 PM

New plans for the NE are up on the website

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/3787.htm

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 8:06 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
New plans for the NE are up on the website

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/3787.htm
impressive and LONG overdue... interesting to see how they kept the LRT moving north in a certain direction...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 8:38 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Wow, the one thing that strikes me about this is the ultimate plan for the Yellowhead/21 interchange. Definitely needs those flyovers, the cloverleaf has far and long ago outlived the capacity of this interchange.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 8:55 PM

If anyone wonders why its impratical to have a lot of full service interchanges on a freeway, just look at the ultimate plan for Hwy 16, and all of the seperations needed to accomodate the volumes of traffic.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
If anyone wonders why its impratical to have a lot of full service interchanges on a freeway, just look at the ultimate plan for Hwy 16, and all of the seperations needed to accomodate the volumes of traffic.
Correct. At least the grade seperations are being done though. I can't wait for the day that the city wise-up and fix the weave zone between 170 and 159 street in a similar manner. Perhaps the province will offer to take over all freeways so the city can focus on LRT projects...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Correct. At least the grade seperations are being done though. I can't wait for the day that the city wise-up and fix the weave zone between 170 and 159 street in a similar manner. Perhaps the province will offer to take over all freeways so the city can focus on LRT projects...
The same problem exists around Gateway Blvd, and is a major factor holding down the speed.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 10:24 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
one can dream... one can dream.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
The same problem exists around Gateway Blvd, and is a major factor holding down the speed.
But Ellerslie doesn't have access to AHD. There aren't any dangerous weave zones along that route as is the case along Whitemud west of Terwilliger. In that sense, I think after the 23/19 Ave interchanges are built, that route could easily support a 100 km/hr limit as far north as 34th Ave. Won't happen though...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 10:37 PM

I should also add, I really like these designs for the NE/E AHD. Particularly that there isn't so much re-grading that will have to be done between the initial and ultimate phases as is the case along the West AHD (Whitemud to Yellowhead section). The province is getting smarter...

The Sherwood Park Freeway interchange manages to work with very limited ROW, and a C/D cloverleaf solution for SB 216 is not the worst thing in the world, because completely divided from AHD thru-lanes. I'm looking forward to the monstrosity that will be the 216/16 interchange! Nothing like this to give our east city entrance a real "big-time" feel to it. As long as they redo the signage properly...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 10:49 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
As long as they redo the signage properly...
Heh, reminds of me the AHD/Gateway interchange when it first opened but before proper signage was in place. My fiancee and I were driving back from Calgary, and we were in the centre lane when we came to the brand-new split, and nearly went into the V-shaped median before we figured out which way we had to go. At least in any other lane it would have forced us to go one way or the other rather than give us the third option of ramming into concrete.

The signs they have since put up help enormously.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton