HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 6:46 PM
Meh

That's really nice. I like the setbacks with the trees. That's a nice way of obeying a setback rule and making the best of it, while also creating something nice for the residential units.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 8:53 PM

Perhaps they learned after allowing this to be built right in the center of town on one of the main strips.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
Perhaps they learned after allowing this to be built right in the center of town on one of the main strips.

There are uglier parking garages in Austin.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 1:41 AM
World Traveler

Yeah, that has the appearance of a nondescript 80s office building to me. That said, I still don't like it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 6:04 AM

Here's news of a major mixed use development at SH130 and SH71 near the Nland Surf Park:

ABJ Article: http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...mixed-use.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post

Yeah.... that's a tx state garage. I'm sure Tx State pretty much does what they want in San Marcos.... kinda like UT !

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 3:29 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Here's news of a major mixed use development at SH130 and SH71 near the Nland Surf Park:

ABJ Article: http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...mixed-use.html
Wow thats awesome, I live near this area, was wondering when some big development would occur. Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 4:30 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Wow thats awesome, I live near this area, was wondering when some big development would occur. Thanks for the update!
More renderings from the developer site:

Source:
http://goveiacre.com/portfolio/river...ing-austin-tx/

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 8:18 PM
クラブトクヨ

Just for a visual, based on county site, this all the development that could take place. Will it be weird having a large corporate office right next to airport?

https://app.box.com/s/3wocddfjm1xed42k3i1lvzespvp494jd

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 9:33 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Will it be weird having a large corporate office right next to airport?

Near the airport, no. Directly across the street from a detention center (jail), yes.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:00 AM
Honored Member

This is a major step toward the realization of the potential for that whole area. With COTA, N'land, this, the corporate center, and the Hyatt Lost Pines next to the lovely McKinney Roughs, there's a critical mass to awaken the sleeping giant between ABIA and Bastrop.

Before I knew that the Hyatt was going to be developed, I bought (and subsequently defaulted on) a few acres in a development just west of that land. It was hilly and wooded and there were some nice custom homes being built. But around the time I purchased my parcel, progress stopped on everything. Parcels sat vacant or for sale, and rumors of developments seemed to fade away. I lost confidence in my initial sense about the beauty and potential of the area, and 71 felt like a death trap even back then when traffic was lighter, so I let the property revert to the sellers and they were pretty happy because they did know about the Hyatt! Now there's a gorgeous custom home on my old parcel and I'm glad it worked out for everyone.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next decade in that area.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
This is a major step toward the realization of the potential for that whole area. With COTA, N'land, this, the corporate center, and the Hyatt Lost Pines next to the lovely McKinney Roughs, there's a critical mass to awaken the sleeping giant between ABIA and Bastrop.

Before I knew that the Hyatt was going to be developed, I bought (and subsequently defaulted on) a few acres in a development just west of that land. It was hilly and wooded and there were some nice custom homes being built. But around the time I purchased my parcel, progress stopped on everything. Parcels sat vacant or for sale, and rumors of developments seemed to fade away. I lost confidence in my initial sense about the beauty and potential of the area, and 71 felt like a death trap even back then when traffic was lighter, so I let the property revert to the sellers and they were pretty happy because they did know about the Hyatt! Now there's a gorgeous custom home on my old parcel and I'm glad it worked out for everyone.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next decade in that area.
I don't know that this development will change things that much out near and past the Lost Pines resort area. It is still pretty sleepy commercially. The two-story office complex that was built on 71 near the Lost Pines and Colony subdivision back in 2008 or 2009 sits absolutely empty. I lived in Bastrop before the fire burned me out and drove 71 (definitely a death trap piece of highway) into Austin almost every day of the week. I have been going out there recently fairly regularly on dog related business (I have a rescued dog in a board and train out there, and I am trying to get him adopted) and find to my amazement that this well maintained 6 or 7 year old two-story commercial center remains without any tenants! Meanwhile, the retail scene in Bastrop has beefed up with lots of big box shopping, and downtown Bastrop has become a bit more congenial and happening with some bars, restaurants, and a few art galleries. What has changed a lot along 71 is the addition of half a dozen stop lights at various crossings. This tends to clump up traffic and generally keep things crawling. The area south of 71 in Cedar Creek is still pretty country and kind of appealing. I guess the area where you had property has seen some largish homes constructed over the past few years, but I just don't see the area as much changed overall. This, of course, is bound to change before too very long. I wonder when the push will come to make 71 a true limited access (toll road no doubt) highway all the way into Bastrop. I am kind of terrified every time I drive on this highway. There are so many stupid people out there doing really stupid things.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:36 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Near the airport, no. Directly across the street from a detention center (jail), yes.
Where is the jail? I am confused. I am new to the Austin area, so not sure what you mean.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Where is the jail? I am confused. I am new to the Austin area, so not sure what you mean.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tr...9b30cdeef2f927

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:06 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Hmm I would imagine that would be moved, or they would lobby for it? I guess that the little piece of land they did not buy, I was wonder what that was about. Thanks for showing me.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 8:29 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Hmm I would imagine that would be moved, or they would lobby for it? I guess that the little piece of land they did not buy, I was wonder what that was about. Thanks for showing me.
It's not likely the jail is going to go anywhere anytime soon.

To me it seems like more of the same suburban type crud that you see anywhere. It's nothing impressive other than the fact that it will start to build up that area at least a little. It's a shame the density couldnt be higher but in time maybe that will change. The downside to these projects is they will jumpstart sprawl along SH130 and that will just cause another north south highway to become clogged and useless for travelers bypassing the city.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It's not likely the jail is going to go anywhere anytime soon.

To me it seems like more of the same suburban type crud that you see anywhere. It's nothing impressive other than the fact that it will start to build up that area at least a little. It's a shame the density couldnt be higher but in time maybe that will change. The downside to these projects is they will jumpstart sprawl along SH130 and that will just cause another north south highway to become clogged and useless for travelers bypassing the city.
The low rise jail complex won't be all that intrusive across the way from this new development. I agree with Jdawgboy's comments. It is just more of the same in a different part of town. It does seem to indicate that the expected development along SH130 is starting to take place.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
The downside to these projects is they will jumpstart sprawl along SH130 and that will just cause another north south highway to become clogged and useless for travelers bypassing the city.
130 at least has room to add more lanes in that case.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:42 AM
World Traveler

True, they have the ability to add a bunch more lanes, if I'm not mistaken. The ROW is massive - I thought that when they were constructing it. I think that if they're going to build up that area (down 130 and down 71 toward the Bastrop area) eventually, they need to complete the freeway interchange now rather than 20 years from now...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 3:28 AM

Wilco breaks ground on Expo Center expansion

Quote:
By Caitlin Perrone
September 25 2015

Williamson County officials broke ground on a 48,000-square foot expansion to the Expo Center on Sept. 25.

The county is renovating the existing facility at 210 Carlos G. Parker Blvd. in Taylor to increase the number and types of events that can be held at the center. The development includes enhancements to the existing arena, a new indoor exposition facility, a concessions building and a ticket building, along with various site improvements.

The building includes 24,000 square feet of covered expo facilities and 23,000 square feet of enclosed areas. The spaces include administrative offices, a food preparation area, a large group gathering space and exterior show spaces.
http://communityimpact.com/2015/09/2...ter-expansion/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin