HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 6:18 PM

Quote:
BTW, these towers could be readily built with existing technology and the savings on fuel transporation and harvesting costs alone would be worth the difference. That and being able to grow crops continually year round far outweigh any initial expenses.
I doubt both of these statements. It is cheaper right now to import tomatoes from the southern hemisphere than growing them in greenhouses locally. Transportation is really really cheap over very long distances, and heating is really expensive.

And greenhouses cost a lot less than towers.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 7:35 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Humphrey.Appleby View Post
I doubt both of these statements. It is cheaper right now to import tomatoes from the southern hemisphere than growing them in greenhouses locally. Transportation is really really cheap over very long distances, and heating is really expensive.

And greenhouses cost a lot less than towers.
Emphasis on cheap RIGHT NOW. Back in 05-08 when things were crazy food prices inflated a huge amount due to price of oil. The entire rationale of this proposal is that you would have local, year round, cheap produce that would not only cut back on GHG emissions, but substantially reduce dependance on fossil fuels.

Second: heating would not cost a dime in these facilities because all the energy required would be produced on site by burning waste to generate electricity. These proposals are for self-sustaining, off the grid, production facilities.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 7:38 PM

If the point is that it would be cheap, wouldn't that make it that it would not have to be supported by government in anything but zoning?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 8:14 PM
Fake News

Yes. That is correct on paper. But we all know the effect NIMBY's can have on development of this kind.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 8:30 PM
I am the law!

I don't see how one of the towers will ever be economical from the initial construction costs to the yearly maintenance at anywhere near current food prices. The tensile strength needed to support the farms is gonna take an incredible amount of steel and concrete and the humidity and water usuage will likely shorten the structural lifespan to 30 years. (unless they wrap the whole thing in rubberized roofing which would be a fortune onto itself and would need replacement in 30 years or less)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 12:08 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
^ Why bother raising ducks when there are so many big, fat rabbits in this city free and easy for the taking. Hasenpfeffer, anyone?
No, I don't think we'll be doing that..

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 8:21 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look way up View Post
Interesting article on urban farming. That wasted space in your backyard might be put to good use.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...lson-kile.html
Interesting idea, but I would be surprised if anyone could make a buck at it. I grow vegetables in my backyard, purely for fun, and I do get a decent crop, but it's a lot of work.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 5:16 PM
cow orker

There may be a better thread, but I couldn't find it...

If you are interested in heirloom/open-pollenated seeds and seedlings, then Seedy Saturday may be worth checking out today. It's at the Sunnyside/Hillhurst Community Association right now until 3.

I'd say there are about 50 booths with everything from worm castings to wildflower seeds.
My wife and I are selling chilli pepper seedlings, but there are also tomato plant sellers as well as all the standard veg that grows here.
Admission is $3

http://seedysaturdaycalgary.shawwebspace.ca/

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 3:41 PM
Here and There

Cool, great to see this here in Calgary.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy