HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 3:10 PM
Closed account

I didn't realize you guys were reading this forum as an "us vs. them". Go back and re-read the entire thread. There's nothing here demeaning to anyone else with a different view.
Frustration at city hall? sure.
Frustration with the status quo? sure.
So far it looks to me like a good chat. Quit trying to read through lines and somehow make thing out to be personal.
Share your opinion. I enjoy it, and find these discussions very enlightening and eye-opening.

fastcars - you and I seem to have different opinions on various things, but tha'ts fine. that's life. Imagine how boring it would be if we all thought the exact same thing. This forum would die! lol.

I realize sprawl will never go away, but I"ve seen it done better.
Other cities trying to do things better than Hamilton would include quite a long list. It doesn't mean they're getting rid of sprawl. they're trying to bring a better balance to their cities. Hamilton refuses to and needs to be called out on it.
We're just trucking along (literally) like it's the 1950's with no attempt to shift the mindset at city hall.

I'm sorry if you don't like hearing that, but read through the city's budget every year. That says it all. We'll know the mindset is changing once the way we spend our tax dollars starts changing.
And so far, it's the same old story.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 10:19 PM
Closed account

fastcars--damn it, i'm biting my tongue right now! am i a snob? damn straight i am. you wanna argue that we're not a country full of fat, lazy lardasses? good luck with that. ohhhhhh, i'm so busy i can't get outta my car...blah blah blah. you think i'm outta line? you think i'm being too negative? go back and check the litany of tirades you've spewed onto this site. i'm getting to the point where i can barely stand checking in on this forum 'cause i know you've likely been busy derailing the discussion with YOUR self-righteousness. please...

Last edited by the dude; Dec 11, 2007 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 3:30 AM
Closed account

yea, I'm not too sure what the deal is here. We're having a perfectly good discussion until someone (in this case, fastcars) comes on and goes off on some rant directed at others on the forum.
Guys, this is a place to share ideas and chat about our city. It's not an interview with Trump on the apprentice. Chill.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
yea, I'm not too sure what the deal is here. We're having a perfectly good discussion until someone (in this case, fastcars) comes on and goes off on some rant directed at others on the forum.
Guys, this is a place to share ideas and chat about our city. It's not an interview with Trump on the apprentice. Chill.
"Perfectly good discussion"?? Give me a break. Let's check your first post in this thread:

Quote:
let's not waste our time. this is Hamilton. The car is king.

I agree with an urban ban on drivethrus.
It's kind of tough to ban them in wastelands like meadowlands. if we're going to let crap like that get built, then drive-thrus will be natural in those areas since the entire thing is dedicated to cars.

and I wouldn't worry about places adding more surface parking if they lose their drivethrus.
I've never seen a fast food place with a full lot. ever.
How much room for discussion is there here? If I were to tell you that the Meadowlands is not a "wasteland" and that I enjoy shopping there, you would summarily dismiss me in a nanosecond. If I were to tell you that I find drive-thrus to be convenient rather than "crap", you would not give my statement any consideration. If I were to tell you that I have seen fast food places with full parking lots, you would refuse to believe it.

Almost any time that I have brought up an opposing perspective (whether or not it was one with which I agreed), you have either refused to acknowledge a single point or you have ignored it entirely.

Not everyone wants to live on the 20th floor of an apartment building and take light transit to independent mom-and-pop shops that have made a vow to never do more than break even.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:10 AM
Closed account

bro, no offense, but I don't reply to you because you're a waste of time, not because I disagree with your views. What am I supposed to say to "you suck"?? You're above post had more decent points in it than your last 3 months of posting. try making that a habit instead of the Dr Phil stuff. Unfortunately I don't get to reply to your above points since you already did it for me.

Fastcars and I don't seem to agree on much, but we continue to chat and reply to one another. It's called human interaction. Give it a try sometime without getting all anal.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:22 AM

Quote:
bro, no offense, but I don't reply to you because you're a waste of time, not because I disagree with your views. What am I supposed to say to "you suck"?? You're above post had more decent points in it than your last 3 months of posting. try making that a habit instead of the Dr Phil stuff. Unfortunately I don't get to reply to your above points since you already did it for me.

Fastcars and I don't seem to agree on much, but we continue to chat and reply to one another. It's called human interaction. Give it a try sometime without getting all anal.

"No offense", ... but ... "you're a waste of time"?

Take offense or not, but I think my six year old knows more about reasoning, rational thought, and openmindedness than you do.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 6:54 AM
On Guard For Thee

the dude--you can barely stand to visit because I've been posting? Why is that? I am actually a long way from self-righteous and a long way from perfect--I am a man of conviction and opinions, and I thrive on sharing them, on reading the opinions of others, and in the end, learning and growing from the discourse--that's what my participation here is about. I'm at a loss to understand why you're getting personal--it's something I strive to avoid here, honestly. Do we agree on most issues--frankly we don't--and that's fine. When you step up to bat with your opinion on something--I'm going to be there to debate it--that's what this is about--and I expect nothing less of you--challenge me, correct me--do whatever you'd like. If however, you just don't want to be disagreed with--I can't help you on that one--when I don't want to be challenged, I find the mirror makes an excellent audience. If a dissenting opinion "derails" discussion--I'm guessing it wouldn't be much of a discussion at all.

With all that being said--it seems you're calling me out on being self-righteous...fine...if you can find an instance where I was self-righteous, please feel free to share it--it's welcome in the Forum, or your welcome to share it privately so as not to derail any other conversation. I have a fair bit of info and knowledge to share here--some of it is "untainted" by my politics--I invite you to re-read some of my posts--you may find some interesting bits in there between my "tirades".

As for you being a snob, it's cool you admit it. I'll leave it at that.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 11:54 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
"No offense", ... but ... "you're a waste of time"?

Take offense or not, but I think my six year old knows more about reasoning, rational thought, and openmindedness than you do.

oh brother...last reply to this 6-year old level conversation.
As I think I made clear, I was referring to your posts and the reason I don't reply is because I'd simply be wasting my time.
Talk about snazzy 'editing' jobs. you take the beginning and end of a sentence, slice them together and make the quote sound personal.
Bro, I don't even know you. You might be a great guy. All I know, is I don't reply to most of what you say on here because I think you're just trying to waste my time.
Like this!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 1:02 PM

Quote:
oh brother...last reply to this 6-year old level conversation.
As I think I made clear, I was referring to your posts and the reason I don't reply is because I'd simply be wasting my time.
Talk about snazzy 'editing' jobs. you take the beginning and end of a sentence, slice them together and make the quote sound personal.
Bro, I don't even know you. You might be a great guy. All I know, is I don't reply to most of what you say on here because I think you're just trying to waste my time.
Like this!
No snazzy editing job. "bro, no offense, but I don't reply to you because you're a waste of time..." is just as insulting. I took out five words from the beginning of a sentence and made that clear with ellipses. No big slicing or dicing.

Anyway, maybe I will just let you carry on with your rants and diatribes on the state of affairs completely unopposed. You will have a much better time solving the world's problems without people like me to challenge any of your comments or claims.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 1:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

Chill guys chill!

Have a timbit

Don't worry I got half of the timbits from the drive thru and the other half from walking inside. Chill!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 2:26 PM
Closed account

haha...classic!
I'm chilled. No worries.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:31 PM
Hammer'd

Man those look good...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
This Forum is increasingly less about ideas for the future and more about self-rightousness and piety. Seriously, are all of you really that much better than the rest of us? Sure sounds that way.
Hey, no offence but I think part of the problem is that you are taking every argument way too personally. No one is out here to attack you or claim that they are a better person.

As far as self-righteousness goes (as it pertains to drive throughs), I have to call you out on this. In my opinion, any defense of drive throughs is pure self-righteousness. Fact: idling cars pollute. Fact: pollution is harmful to living things. Therefore idling cars harm surrounding living things. [Do I need to look up studies to convince you of this? If so, you might as well stop reading now. If you agree that these two statements are true, then read on.]

Drive throughs cause an increase in idle time for cars. Drive throughs therefore cause harm to living things. The benefit of drive throughs is convenience of the person in the car. Therefore the person in the car is putting their comfort above the health of surrounding living things. If that's not self righteous then I don't know what is.

That being said, I do use drive throughs on occasion. However I would vote for a ban in an instant, and if it passed I'd just have to suck it up and walk in like everyone else.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 9:25 PM
On Guard For Thee

The timbits do look good--though I will say the switch to "par-baked" goods made and frozen in Brantford and then shipped out to the stores has lessened their appeal. If you want to read a tirade about that, pick up Ron Joyce's autobiography--he really takes Tim Hortons corporate to task for that decision (and regrets selling the business, by the way).

Coalmine--I asked you to find a time when I've been self-righteous or pious--and you didn't. Period. Saying I'm self-righteous for not supporting a ban on Drive-Thrus is a judgement call on your part, which is cool, but doesn't exemplify my supposed piety in this Forum. For the record, I take very little here personally--for instance--I would consider myself neither fat nor lazy, yet I find blanket statements about everyone being fat and lazy to be childish and extraordinarily pious. That's not about things being personal--that's a distaste for empty elitism which does absolutely nothing to advance discussion, understanding or argument.

"Do I need to look up studies to convince you of this? If so, you might as well stop reading now"

For instance, would it have been possible for you to simply state the facts as you see them and present your argument without being condescending? You assume I'm trying to derail the discussion, but I'm not--I'm trying to illustrate that the simple addition of a sentence really makes me want to not care about what you think.

That being said, you make valid points--I'm not arguing that idling cars don't pollute, they do--I'm expressing an opposition to banning Drive-Thrus. There are definitely neighborhoods where Drive Thrus simply don't fit in--I agree with that--and if municipalities want to go about planning initiatives to prevent drive-thrus from popping up in Hess Village for instance--that's fine. The truth is, I'm a daily Tim Hortons customer--and I rarely use the Drive Thru--so if you're assuming this is somehow self-serving--it's really not. At busy times I find it's simply much quicker to go inside and order--for me it's a matter of efficiency to not be sitting in my truck for no reason waiting at the drive thru, when I could be happily down the road, coffee in hand.

Also, if you want your argument to hold some weight, stop using Drive Thrus, immediately.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 9:48 PM

First, regarding the timbits: that's way more than 20 and a hell of a "snack"!

Second, fastcars I'm just saying that you take too much offense and read too much into a lot of things. For instance, the fat lazy comment was, when I read it, a funny joke. A satire on the bottom line of drive throughs - the fact that they are 100% about convenience. And additionally, i interpret the comment to be a blanket statement that covers everyone, including the original poster himself. That's what makes it funny. It would be self righteous if his comment were more like "good thing everyone else in this country is a fat slob except me".

Additionally, you didn't ask ME to find a time you were self righteous since that request happened way before I even partook in this discussion. I never specifically accused you of self righteousness. This is a perfect example of you taking things too personally. I do not think that you, personally are self righteous so I'm not interested in trying to find an example of it.

My comments about self righteousness aspects of defending drive throughs are just general observations. My comments about looking up studies are done in a joking manner because earlier in the thread someone brought up a question about looking up studies. They aren't meant to be condescending. This is why I think you are taking things too seriously :-p

And finally, I don't have to stop using drive throughs until I start actually chastising people for their use of them. I did not tell anyone they should stop using them. I only support a law that prevents them from existing, forcing us all to not use them for the good of the community. If I were a smoker, and I supported a ban on cigarettes forcing me and all others to stop smoking, it's not hypocritical. If I was a smoker and I told other smokers to stop while I continued, then it would be....

In conclusion, I hope that drive throughs are banned :-)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 10:25 PM
Closed account

yea, I agree with coalmine here. just because I oppose new highway construction doesn't mean that I'm never allowed to drive on a highway again.
Our society has been constructed in such a way that gives people no option.
I'd never own a car again if we spent a fraction of the time and money on improving transit in Hamilton and the GTA. It takes hours to get anywhere in our so-called 'heartland of Canada'.
We're embarassing.
I, too, rarely use drivethrus...yet, I've seen some bank machines that are only drive-thru. not even an option to get out, although I still do if there's no lineup. lol.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 4:00 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Ten Reasons why I hate Tim Hortons

1. The standard brown box format is plopped down with no regard for the surrounding neighbourhood. eg. Concession street. Starbucks and Second Cup try to make their buildings fit into the street. eg Second Cup Westdale
2. Drive thrus are more important than people who park and/or walk to the store.
3. No debit machines
4. Caffeine and sugar is not healthy
5. Catering to vehicles wraps the buildings in a constant queue of idling cars, pedestrian have to pass through these sometimes moving cars to enter and exit.
6. Drive thrus cause unnecessary pollution. They really aren't needed. Their existance demands use.
7. started in Hamilton but head office is in Oakville
8. creates hazards on the roads, drivers loose their minds deciding if they want a coffee and can't pass a Tims without slowing down and making erratic turns.
9. dirty washrooms, generic interior
10. rude staff

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 4:07 PM
Closed account

you pretty much just described every major fast-food and coffee chain in North America...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 4:17 PM
On Guard For Thee

realcity--that post is just plain bizarre.

Do you not think the King & Hughson Tim Horton's blends just as nicely as the Second Cup in Westdale?

Second Cup, Williams and Starbucks are all busy building suburban stores with Drive Thrus, mostly predicated on the success Tim Hortons has had with the format.

Debit machines cause transaction times to double--and you're worried about the lineups now? The card they've recently launched takes the place of debit.

Also, if you were to sit down and read some corporate history you would understand that Oakville was chosen because it was midway between the homes of Ron Joyce (Burlington) and Tim Horton (Don Mills).

Dirty washrooms and rude staff are in issue the local franchise operator ought to deal with--again, if you hate the place so much, why are you in there long enough to notice?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 6:02 PM
Closed account

I believe any Tim's locations that has a unique look were put into an already existing building: Right House, Village Green Ctr in Stoney Creek Village, the one in Ancaster Village, etc.
Every other location is the same piece of crap: prime example, Tim Horton's #1 (Ottawa & Dunsmuire).

I agree w/ every point RealCity makes... I think you're just on this forum for the sake of arguing every point anyone ever makes on here, fastcars.

Realcity: I think Ron Joyce is actually feelin the same way you are.
I believe he said he now regrets selling the Tim's chain?
I, for one, lost all respect for the company when they started to sell Fajitas!?!? WTF!?!?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion