HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 7:42 PM
Tucsonan

also.. This new Streetcar Pic shows the tracks in its own seperate lane... am i seeing that right?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 10:43 PM

Okay, get this Tucson is the 20th worst run city in the United States according to 24/7 Wall Street.
http://247wallst.com/2013/01/15/the-...-in-america/4/
A real explanation as to why we are on this list is not given, it does tell us that we did not get hit as hard as Phoenix in the recession (somehow Scottsdale and Chandler are on the 20 best run cities). I guess being able to keep our residents from losing their homes is what makes us badly run.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
Okay, get this Tucson is the 20th worst run city in the United States according to 24/7 Wall Street.
http://247wallst.com/2013/01/15/the-...-in-america/4/
A real explanation as to why we are on this list is not given, it does tell us that we did not get hit as hard as Phoenix in the recession (somehow Scottsdale and Chandler are on the 20 best run cities). I guess being able to keep our residents from losing their homes is what makes us badly run.
We are a poorly run city bc our city gov is not very business friendly. That's been a well documented problem for a long time. We have a severely underfunded police and fire department, terrible roads and maybe the fact that the city has blow hundreds of millions of dollars on nothing. There are lots of reasons why this city is in the top 20 worst. Have you ever had to do any business with the city? They are impossible to deal with and is a bureaucratic mess. Honestly both chandler and Scottsdale are better run cities. I have a house here in tucson and one in Scottsdale and it is so much easier getting through any permitting processes up there and they don't jerk you around and make things difficult on purpose like tucson does.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
also.. This new Streetcar Pic shows the tracks in its own seperate lane... am i seeing that right?

Hopefully the streetcar gets its own lane downtown. It be nice not to have the streetcar stuck in traffic.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post
UofA REC Center...

the university should move the track and field facilities down by the rec center. I think it be nice to have all the athletics next to each other.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 12:08 AM

Pictures I took of The Cadence this morning.

The pictures make the outside of the garage building look like the Pioneer Building. In actuality, the darker finishes have more character.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 3:06 AM

Great pic. I like the appearance of the low rise density combined with the historic structures.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post

Great! I'm glad for the streetcar development, but I've had some big doubts about dealing with traffic. ^This and closing Park Ave is essential if this thing is going to keep any sort of schedule.

Hopefully they eventually give it a designated lane down University until the road narrows at Main Gate (where it maybe should have been bypassed around the back of the hotel).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 4:44 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthom3000 View Post
Hopefully the streetcar gets its own lane downtown. It be nice not to have the streetcar stuck in traffic.
yeah it looks what they did here was turn the pull in parking into parallel parking which opened up enough space for the streetcar to have its own lane.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post

The pictures make the outside of the garage building look like the Pioneer Building. In actuality, the darker finishes have more character.
Holy cow we work fast! To think that these buildings were just starting in August and theyre now almost done with the frame( I assume wiring and plumbing are done as well) we get it done. Same with level and the new courthouse, those are also large structures that we are getting done in a fast time period.
Just wondering but about how many construction workers are working along the streetcar route (incuding the streetcar) I know that it has to be more than 500 but I'm not sure.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post

I would have to agree. Looking like the current version of the Pioneer is not a good thing. I truly thought the grey cement (which is under the recently completed white facade) looked much better than this finished product, especially looking south down 4th ave. I wish the design standards were more carefully thought out. Cadence to me just looks really 80s, and does not give visitors a good first impression of downtown coming in from the east. However I really love the Fors architecture renderings in the streetcar charrette. The potential developments all fit in nicely with the existing historic character while still looking modern. I especially like like the dairy queen rendering on 4th.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 6:38 PM

could someone down in the Ol' Pueblo take some pics of the DT activity from a distance? it's been a long time since there was a construction crane (or two!) in DT Tucson...let's document what's going on and relish the moment

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:02 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
could someone down in the Ol' Pueblo take some pics of the DT activity from a distance? it's been a long time since there was a construction crane (or two!) in DT Tucson...let's document what's going on and relish the moment
i can take some, ill try to tomorrow.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 1:26 AM

Been trying to think of a good place to take a wide shot of downtown. I'm thinking a telephoto lens on top of the Tyndall garage is probably the best option. Another option would be the east side of the THS football stadium.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:36 AM

Rio Nuevo board approves plan to settle all differences with city
Proposal would end all audits, litigation and property disputes

by Darren DaRonco
Arizona Daily Star
February 5, 2013

The legal tussle that has engulfed the Rio Nuevo District and city of Tucson the past two years may be coming to an end. On a 5-1 vote, the Rio Nuevo board approved its most recent offer to the city to resolve all litigation, property disputes and other issues between the two entities. The board first publicly released what it thought was a final offer back in October. But the city rejected it the next day. Rio Nuevo Chairman Fletcher McCusker said he believed the new terms would be enough to get City Council backing. "I am hopeful the city will agree to this," McCusker said. "So this board can get back to work" on developing downtown Tucson.

Some of the provisions in the offer include:

• An end to audits. The agreement "settles and resolves all past disputes, known and unknown, between the parties" including the audits. It stipulates that both sides participate in good faith during future audits mandated by law.

• A funding statement on the Tucson Convention Center. Rio Nuevo will allocate no less than $6 million to renovate the TCC.

• An end to litigation. The agreement would end two lawsuits the district has against the city, totaling more than $70 million in claims.

• A statement on hotel development. Once Rio Nuevo expends money on a mutually agreed-upon hotel project, the city must recognize that will satisfy state statute allowing Rio Nuevo to spend money on projects other than a hotel.

• An agreement on the Depot Garage. The city gets ownership of the garage and agrees to pay Rio Nuevo $16 million over 37 years.

• An agreement on the 351 S. Brickyard property. The city will retain ownership.

Rio Nuevo Board Member Alberto Moore cast the lone no vote. Moore said while he thought it was the best deal possible given the circumstances, the city's track record of duplicity and possible malfeasance over the years made it impossible for him to approve the deal with a clear conscience. "My decision on settlement ... is solely a statement and indictment against the city and not a rejection of the settlement," Moore said. "I do have concerns about some of the terms of the settlement today. Not because the terms are unacceptable, but because the city's past performance gives me little confidence it will act in good faith and in the public's best interest."

**FEB. 7 UPDATE:

City, Rio Nuevo promise to make nice is official
by Darren DaRonco
Arizona Daily Star
February 7, 2013

The City of Tucson and Rio Nuevo District officially buried the hatchet this morning. Mayor Jonathan Rothschild and City Manager Richard Miranda signed the final settlement agreement, ending about two years of bickering between the two entities. “Today has been a long time coming. But today, the council and board put past disputes behind us and move forward,” Rothschild said during a news conference. Under the terms of the agreement:

• Rio Nuevo will allocate $6 million for improvements at the Tucson Convention Center.

• The city will retain the Depot Garage and compensate Rio Nuevo about $16 million over the next 37 years.

• Rio Nuevo will reimburse the City approximately $2 million for invoices related to various 2008 bond projects

• The city will recognize any money Rio Nuevo contributes to the TCC and a hotel project as a notice to proceed. This will satisfy a state statute that limits the type of projects Rio Nuevo can fund. Once a hotel and convention center are funded, Rio Nuevo can begin spending on other projects with City approval.

• Rio Nuevo will spend $750,000 for downtown streetscape improvements.

• Rio Nuevo will invest $1.1 million in the Mission Gardens project.

• An end to the two lawsuits totaling about $70 million.

• City and Rio Nuevo agree to cooperate fully with the statutory audits. The next audit must be performed this year.

Neither side received everything it wanted, Rothschild said, but that’s a good thing. “In my experience as an attorney, I can say that’s . . . a good sign that reason has prevailed,” he said. Even though the two sides have put their disagreements behind them, Rothschild acknowledged history isn’t easily erased. “I don’t think you can forget about it, but you got to look at it on different levels,” Rothschild said. “I cannot put back together a shattered glass. But I can start to work going forward.”

And to move forward, Rothschild said it’s imperative the city and Rio Nuevo cooperate to “responsibly put this taxpayer money to work in the way that the voter’s asked.” There is still a pending investigation by the state Attorney General’s Office. Rothschild said the agreement doesn’t indemnify anybody if the state probe uncovers malfeasance. The City Council approved a final execution of this agreement in December during a closed session. The Rio Nuevo Board approved it on Monday. The cessation of hostilities is a welcome relief, Rio Nuevo chair Fletcher McCusker said. “It’s fair,” McCusker said. “And more importantly, it allows us to move forward.” With the history of Rio Nuevo and the enmity it fostered among residents, McCusker said the board will diligently work to regain the public’s trust.

“It’s not lost on me that Rio Nuevo is two four-letter words,” McCusker said. “But in going forward transparency, I think, is the issue . . . All of our bank accounts are now on the web. Anybody can now follow what we are doing dollar by dollar. Any project will have it’s own site on the web where you can actually see the commitments that are made and (where) the funds flow. That’s been part of the challenge historically: who was making decisions and where did the money go. We can resolve that collectively going forward.” While it’s unlikely Rio Nuevo will ever see $200 million again, McCusker said Rio Nuevo is experiencing a healthy revenue stream to go along with its $15 million. He said the goal now is to partner with dynamic entrepreneurs who want to transform the downtown Tucson into something greater. McCusker expects the community will begin to warm to the District once they begin seeing tangible improvements.

Last edited by kaneui; Feb 7, 2013 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
Don't get your hopes up too high. We really only have 1 crane in downtown right now and that's the crane for the 6 story 1 east broadway. I don't really know why that needs a crane but it's a little taller than the chase building next door. The U of A has more cranes. Level has one and az stadium has 2

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 12:55 AM

Some pictures I took downtown today:

The rendering of the inside of Saint House.

A view through the front door of Saint House.

The view of the new courthouse from the third floor of 97 E. Congress.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 7:33 PM
Tucsonan

awesome Saint House photos! theyre apparently also going to be fixing up the alley behind and to the side of their location to be more pedestrian friendly. also the front left corner of the restaurant has like 400 sqft reserved for retail, so dont know if thats going to be an entirely different business in that spot...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 10:36 PM

when's the opening date for saint house?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 10:51 PM
Tucsonan

they installed new traffic lights on 6th ave and scott ave

and the new field on Cherry

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest