HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 9:14 PM

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Is there really that much elevation change on this lot? In my mind Surrey Central is almost completely flat.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 4:04 AM

Surrey has quite a large range in elevation, from sea level to about 200 metres I think?

It’s more of a rolling topography with broad flat peaks and valleys.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Surrey has quite a large range in elevation, from sea level to about 200 metres I think?

It’s more of a rolling topography with broad flat peaks and valleys.
That describes most of Metro Vancouver honestly. I had to walk a couple kilometres in East Vancouver to pick up something from Craigslist once and it surprised me how hilly it was.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Is there really that much elevation change on this lot? In my mind Surrey Central is almost completely flat.
I checked on a topographic map and there's an elevation change of 10m. It's hard to see on street view as it's gradual vs a short steep hill.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 8:45 AM

Whalley Blvd between 108th and 104th is visibily higher from KGH when walking along it, it's very subtle but you really do look down to KGH.

This particular area by the hospital is a slight hill, to get there from the skytrain you ascend a set of stairs that was added in the last year or so. and then you walk down towards the hospital.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
The elevation changes in Surrey Central are definitely misleading. But if you go to the top of 140/100th and look down 100th, you can see it is a fairly steep hill. You get the same climb from Fraser Hwy @ the power line crossing up the green way to 100th. And even 140th if you walk from Fraser Highway to 100th, it seems "flat" but you get to 100th and realize you've just climbed a good hill and your legs are not happy.

96th >> Fraser Highway is a hill then it flattens for a little bit then climbs again to 100th, and the power lines basically skirt a ridge line that is basically Whalley Boulevard (bottom) east to 140th (top), though it does angle toward KGB once you hit 104th (Whalley Boulevard climbs at the Canadian Tire Northbound and ends up at the top of the ridge).

It is mainly flat though along King George and between that and westward to 132nd. All of Surrey Central though is on a plateau basically though which anyone would know riding sky train up the hill from Scott Road to Gateway.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Wolf View Post
That describes most of Metro Vancouver honestly. I had to walk a couple kilometres in East Vancouver to pick up something from Craigslist once and it surprised me how hilly it was.
Yah buildings and paved roads hide topography. Even Downtown Vancouver is quite hilly. Just walk from Cordova up Granville and you realize halfway across downtown you hoofed up a fairly substantial hill. And Cordova isn't even the bottom of the hill as "Waterfront Road" which is along the tracks and is dozens of feet lower. My wife used to work in the 200 Granville building and you enter it ground floor without realizing there's a good multiple floors "underground" which just takes you down to the loading docks below which are actually at sea level.

Get off at Stadium station and walk to Robson Square and you realize very quickly how much of a hill Downtown actually is on.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 2:32 AM

Sequoia website now up - apologies if already posted.

https://sequoiawestvillage.ca

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox71 View Post
Sequoia website now up - apologies if already posted.

Thanks.
Where is this one located?
I guess it's one of the parcels near One Central and Evolve?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks.
Where is this one located?
I guess it's one of the parcels near One Central and Evolve?
I believe it's at the corner of 103 Ave and 133a St - between One Central and the SFU engineering building.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox71 View Post
I believe it's at the corner of 103 Ave and 133a St - between One Central and the SFU engineering building.
I had Sequoia at 10375 133 St, to the east of Wave and on 104 Ave. (So does Mike Stewart)

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
I had Sequoia at 10375 133 St, to the east of Wave and on 104 Ave. (So does Mike Stewart)
I stand corrected! You are right - that is ML Emporio as well. I confused it with the lot at 133a and 103 as that has also has an ML Emporio sign on it promising 500+ units. However, according to their website, that proposed 42-story tower presumably will be called Surrey Loop. With Surrey Loop, Sequoia, and the Melrose one already under construction, clearly the developer is making their mark in the West Village area.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 8:30 PM

You can see a large sequoia at the south edge of the property that's still standing (walked by last week), so I believe it's being retained. I'm assuming this is what the project is named after.

10375 133 St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4MM5AhssKeTqU55u7

Edit: I guess I could have clicked on the website, says it right in the promotional material

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 11:29 PM

Both projects on 132st are beginning to dig. 132 and 105/104 ave.

I'm kinda shocked at how quickly those houses came down, tbh.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 1:55 AM

Massive proposal for 120st and 80ave was submitted to Delta

https://delta.civicweb.net/filepro/d...preview=215287

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 2:23 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

very impressive thanks for posting. I wish Surrey would be allowing the same thing to happen to their side of 120th as Delta is on theirs.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
very impressive thanks for posting. I wish Surrey would be allowing the same thing to happen to their side of 120th as Delta is on theirs.
N Delta is only allowing towers along some sections of Scott Road - everywhere else is SFH with very occasionally a low rise building. It is very much a bedroom community.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
I'm not really a fan of Delta's zoning, it's almost completely restricted to scott road. There's only a few properties around 80ave and 96ave for high rises, 6 stories down most of scott road and the occasional jump in density for a couple plots. The pattern of zoning in North Delta is clearly focused on making scott road feel nicer for detached home owners, not so much as delivering good housing use. For example, Delta has a zoning down 84ave that allows for more units per acre for detached homes than for types of townhouses/duplexes built on the same lot. mcmansion builders are given priority to build underground rental dungeons over good quality housing for lower income folk.

Scott road and 72ave are in the process of rezoning in Surrey. Im hoping they just mass 5over1 the whole area, but in general I have more faith in Surrey to build housing

https://www.surrey.ca/renovating-bui...ine-scott-road

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greetingsfromcanada View Post
I'm not really a fan of Delta's zoning, it's almost completely restricted to scott road. There's only a few properties around 80ave and 96ave for high rises, 6 stories down most of scott road and the occasional jump in density for a couple plots. The pattern of zoning in North Delta is clearly focused on making scott road feel nicer for detached home owners, not so much as delivering good housing use. For example, Delta has a zoning down 84ave that allows for more units per acre for detached homes than for types of townhouses/duplexes built on the same lot. mcmansion builders are given priority to build underground rental dungeons over good quality housing for lower income folk.

Scott road and 72ave are in the process of rezoning in Surrey. Im hoping they just mass 5over1 the whole area, but in general I have more faith in Surrey to build housing
I'm disappointed to hear that, although not really surprised. N Delta would be so much nicer (and add some gentle density) with more townhouses, row houses, duplexes, etc to replace some of the SFH. It would be a lot easier for everyone to do that than their Scott Road tower plans.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley