HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 1:56 PM
The City

^ How would that mean that a bullet was dodged?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ How would that mean that a bullet was dodged?
I think he meant the fact that it was empty.

Just to clarify, the building was sold over a year ago and had permits in place for 2 of the three lots and the third was waiting on corrections and had been undergoing preliminary demolition.

The basement must've been a structural fun house. It had originally been three separate buildings. Sometime prior to the 1950 Sanborn map the basements of all three were interconnected into one big meeting room.

From the looks of the wreckage, one of the interior support posts shifted and carried the beams with it breaching the outer walls.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 3:09 PM

Was the church itself, the part that collapsed going to be demolished? I had took that all of that was to be converted, meaning it could have been full of sleeping families. Or it could have been full on a Sunday morning, or full of workers. Any way it's sliced, this was lucky.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Within the week
Clark and Belmont

Children's Memorial Demo

Soon to be Rush Outpatient Ambulatory Center (as well as various other highrises)
Would be a shame to lose all those pretty trees

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Was the church itself, the part that collapsed going to be demolished? I had took that all of that was to be converted, meaning it could have been full of sleeping families. Or it could have been full on a Sunday morning, or full of workers. Any way it's sliced, this was lucky.
The congregation has been out for at least a year, maybe longer. They were shopping it around a couple of years ago when the first set of developers came to us.

This guy's plan was to re-separate the three structures. The "church" portion was to remain with a roof top addition and a garage. The other two structures would get new Landmark approved facades and a rear addition.

They gutted them and removed a secondary rear addition of the "church". Apparently, they had been doing this under a drywall permit, so they're up shit creek now.

The "church" and the center building are a total loss. The western most looks stable, but chances are the city will take it down as well. The only thing standing in the way would be fear of damaging the building next door

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
They gutted them and removed a secondary rear addition of the "church". Apparently, they had been doing this under a drywall permit, so they're up shit creek now.
in real terms, what are the ramifications of this? fine?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
in real terms, what are the ramifications of this? fine?
Money.

Fines of $500 for each line item they can assemble on a complaint. Technically for each day.

Loss of any goodwill at DOB.
Contractor can lose his license.
Architect can get in dutch, not sure if they pull his ticket, but no one's gonna pat him on the back when tries for self cert.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:53 PM
The City

Damn, that's the nightmare scenario. But so many people are pulling easy permits (if any at all) for doing much more in-depth work.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Damn, that's the nightmare scenario. But so many people are pulling easy permits (if any at all) for doing much more in-depth work.
This kind of shit splashes egg on the face of the DOB and their usual response is to make everyone else's life miserable. If any of you guy have projects flying under the radar like this, either finish it quick or lock the doors til it all blows over.

Talked to the architect, he's being called on the carpet in front of the Commissioner of Buildings in the morning.

The city's plan is to take down all three buildings.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 11:01 PM

According to one article, neighbors knew something was up and had complained to the city and there was already a stop work order in place. The fine for ignoring that has got to be pretty severe.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:13 AM
The City

^ Ha, I once hired a shady as shit contractor and we got a stop work order. They just peeled off the orange sticker and kept working. City did nothing.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 4:44 AM

Quote:
^ Ha, I once hired a shady as shit contractor and we got a stop work order. They just peeled off the orange sticker and kept working. City did nothing.
Next time you go to get a city inspection for a permited project on that property (or sell it) the city is going to make you pay a $1500-$3500 fine just to remove the order. I had to do that on a property of mine and the stop work order was 8 years old and from a prior owner.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 6:02 AM

LaSalle Street to Lake Street Riverwalk Extension

10/23/16

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Architect can get in dutch
?

------

I remember this church had a giant, simple "for sale" sign on it a couple years back; it was weird seeing that on a building, even more so on a church.

This sharp-angled triangular site could be a fantastic dream for some developer and architect in its next incarnation. Could become a really interesting luxe manse, but I suppose more likely it'll be multifamily.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:32 PM
BANNED

^Very cool shots, Bvic. Thanks for sharing.

This section really ain't bad for a Riverwalk-on-a-budget, with the addition of green space just below the busy city streets.

via Curbed and Instagram/chicagojazz99

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 3:00 PM

i dunno, i see it turning into something like pritzker park, which also had promised to be a "flexible space", but remains underutilized due to design and location. i dont know about anyone else, but unless you have a blanket (which most loop officers workers arent going to have), i cant say im a fan of laying on bare grass in Chicago, considering the amount of piss from both human and animal that tends to get deposited. and this section, you still have the grossness of lower wacker belching all over you.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 3:38 PM

The "Boardwalk" is bad folks, especially after walking through the other rooms. Clearly no money.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 4:38 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Next time you go to get a city inspection for a permited project on that property (or sell it) the city is going to make you pay a $1500-$3500 fine just to remove the order. I had to do that on a property of mine and the stop work order was 8 years old and from a prior owner.
I got several inspections after that. Passed them all. Got final passes from all the trades

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 5:43 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i dunno, i see it turning into something like pritzker park, which also had promised to be a "flexible space", but remains underutilized due to design and location. i dont know about anyone else, but unless you have a blanket (which most loop officers workers arent going to have), i cant say im a fan of laying on bare grass in Chicago, considering the amount of piss from both human and animal that tends to get deposited. and this section, you still have the grossness of lower wacker belching all over you.

I agree. I can see this patch of grass going....well, downhill.
Such a shame, as the original renderings way back for the boardwalk were so promising - that could have been my very favorite section of the entire Riverwalk. Hopefully, the city will recognize this extreme shortcoming given very high potential and put together some funding in the next couple years (go to the private sector for donors for it if need be) to actually complete the Riverwalk 'for real' this time....

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 5:44 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:

That's quite admirable of you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development