HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:57 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Why does the antenna's lights shut off so early? I've noticed that it shuts off at midnight...much earlier than the buildings in Midtown which shut off after 2 am. Midnight seems kind of sad for the tallest building in the "city that never sleeps".

And what ever happened to the rotating light-house like LEDs and/or the one that was supposed to shoot up straight into the air?
I really hope that changes when the building opens, along with the comm. rings and mechanical floors. They've already botched enough things at the new WTC they can at least make it look good at night

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 8:25 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I really hope that changes when the building opens, along with the comm. rings and mechanical floors. They've already botched enough things at the new WTC they can at least make it look good at night
The spire looks freakishly tall from I-78 going into Newark at night. Its a positive though; from afar with the lights, it looks massive.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
And what ever happened to the rotating light-house like LEDs and/or the one that was supposed to shoot up straight into the air?
The original proposal had a few beacon lights that would move and sort of dance around the sky. These were shown in the animations to coalesce into a single beam that pointed straight up.

All of that has been scrapped for a single rotating LED beacon, much more like a classic lighthouse. Some clear days it can be hard to see, but it is actually pretty bright, and you can see the flash from ~50miles away.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
There is a Twin Towers Of The World Trade Center Thread. Please move the conversation about the Twins there.......http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=184976
Correct.

Lyndon (AussieDingo)

gigi_nyc

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:23 PM

Wow you can see right through 4 WTC.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Reminds me of a giant ray gun coming out of the ground with that spiretenna(not in a good way, if there is one).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 8:37 PM

From that angle it has a strong resemblance to the London shard, no?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 9:10 PM

It just occurred to me that about 99% of the complaints about this tower, now that it has been built, around the world, are on this thread. No where else, either in the media or the real world, have I heard such an astounding amount of whining about this tower, to even the tiniest aspects like the exact time the light goes off...

Any time I've ever seen someone hear about this tower and its progress, it is easily the coolest thing they heard all week. The fact is that the vast majority of people love this building and are proud of it. It's not the greatest design ever to a seasoned architecture critic, it wasn't rebuilt as soon as physically possible, but people literally cannot believe it's rebuilt, or looks this beautiful. I think NY guy may have mentioned this before, but most people aren't actually going to know what exactly coulda woulda shoulda happened.
The way I think of it, a design like the original twins were so bitterly hated and thought of as ugly. But it didn't take much time for them to become such beloved, beautiful national icons.
Who is going to hate this building in 5 years ..?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 9:20 PM
weidncol

^^ Or any of the other buildings in the complex, for that matter. People just can't believe the fact SOMETHING is getting built here to replace what was once there.

Also, all the spire lighting in midtown goes off the same time as it does in downtown, with the exception of the ESB and Chrysler. The Chrysler stays on dusk to dawn, however.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 11:49 PM

Although most people dont complain about this building and just see it as something that's really cool, I don't think the popular opinion of the average American or person in General should dictate the discussion on here, not that that was what you were saying but that argument gets made a lot and it just sort of seems redundant.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 1:28 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
It just occurred to me that about 99% of the complaints about this tower, now that it has been built, around the world, are on this thread. No where else, either in the media or the real world, have I heard such an astounding amount of whining about this tower, to even the tiniest aspects like the exact time the light goes off...

Any time I've ever seen someone hear about this tower and its progress, it is easily the coolest thing they heard all week. The fact is that the vast majority of people love this building and are proud of it. It's not the greatest design ever to a seasoned architecture critic, it wasn't rebuilt as soon as physically possible, but people literally cannot believe it's rebuilt, or looks this beautiful. I think NY guy may have mentioned this before, but most people aren't actually going to know what exactly coulda woulda shoulda happened.
The way I think of it, a design like the original twins were so bitterly hated and thought of as ugly. But it didn't take much time for them to become such beloved, beautiful national icons.
Who is going to hate this building in 5 years ..?
I've heard a lot of people say it's ugly and terrible etc. (not that I agree) but so did they when the Twins were built.

I personally have always liked this building a lot until you get to the top... the original spire and communications rings (which may hopefully be filled someday) really looked good. What I will never understand is why they can't just put some sort of latticework over the antenna.

Also the fact that it turns off at midnight seems kind of dangerous, that's a 400 foot tall antenna that's virtually invisible... bad idea.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 1:57 AM
weidncol

^^ FAA lights, it's a magical piece of technology

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:07 AM

the warning light at the top of the spire blinks more frequently than other ones in the city. You can easily spot it, from the ground, tens of miles away. It's the highest light in the city, above even the decorative beacon. They have lights on the communication rings as well. They might've installed one in the middle of the spire as well, there's been a red glow coming from one of the sections of the spire once the LEDs are turned off.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:24 PM

Imagine if they had to bathe 1100' antenna masts with LED lights

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:45 PM

The exterior construction elevator has been taken down a few floors. More curtain wall should be coming shortly.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:16 PM
weidncol

^^ Curtain wall will not be installed until all of what they are removing is removed.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 5:35 AM

©ILNY

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 8:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
You just need to get out more. And read more. Because I've seen and heard plenty. Of course, none of that matters, because its not the basis of how I form my own opinion, nor should it be yours. I've generally been more supportive of this tower than most have. Many people wonder why such a "bland" looking tower was built as a replacement. I think the building itself is decent enough, though not anything magnificent in design. However, they way this building is crowned - the most significant aspect of it - cannot be glossed over. That just goes beyond what I will defend.

Chante Etan

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 9:04 PM
weidncol

If people think this tower is bland, they should take a look back and remember the Twin Towers...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
If people think this tower is bland, they should take a look back and remember the Twin Towers...
The fact that the twin towers were not particularly attractive does not justify the generally uninspiring design of WTC1. When you look at all of the amazing supertall construction going on in Asia and the Middle East, how could anybody defend this boring, bland, and generic design? This is America's tallest tower, for goodness sake! And one that has enormous symbolism. Really an epic fail in my opinion....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive