HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 6:18 PM

The East Liberty Citizens Bank bldg is a pretty cool example of postwar bank branch modernism. It has distinctive exterior design details and great interior space... would make an excellent restaurant. In a bigger market, this space would be made into something really cool. Unfortunately, stuff like this doesn't happen in Pittsburgh.

Its interaction with the street level is basically nonexistent along Centre, and that triangle between Centre and Penn screams for redevelopment to more contemporary use. I'm hopeful that this means the god-awful CVS next door will come down as well, and that the small parking lot will also be part of a larger development.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 8:59 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I like that Citizens bank building just because it is a weird example of that time period's architecture. I can't help but think a larger building would be better there though.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 9:21 PM

Fingers crossed for something more than two stories tall. It is across the street from a brand new transit station and transit stations are most beneficial when many apartments, jobs and retail are located within walking distance. In fact, I'd like for most of the south side of Center Ave to be redeveloped. Sorry Kelly's!

That and the Shakespeare street strip mall. If that was something other than a sea of asphalt, east liberty would be genuinely transformed.

I'm honestly optimistic about the way East Liberty is being redeveloped. There are flaws such as the dangerous crosswalks but overall things are looking up!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 2:01 AM

I walked right by the Citizen's Bank today after getting off the P1 and saw no signs of a demolition permit - or that the bank was even closing.

I wonder if there was some sort of address typo in the demolition permit, and it's another Penn Avenue property entirely.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:27 PM

Recently I saw a document which detailed the plans for replacing the 376 bridge just east of the squirrel hill tunnels. Was that in this thread? I've tried to track it down but have had no luck.

If not, i'll keep looking and post a follow-up once found. Talk about a massive project!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:42 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Were there any proposals for development of the Auburn St. apartments site at all? Regarding the Citizens Bank location, I'd like to see a decent-sized apartment building go up there; something in the neighborhood of at least 4 or 5 floors. Heck, it could even house a CVS on the ground floor...

Saw an editorial on the Wholeys building. Essentially it doesn't matter what goes up there (or anywhere in the Strip). The Strip will always be the Strip because of its deep-rooted history more or less.

https://triblive.com/opinion/editori...ed-by-history/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 5:27 PM

ACTION Housing got a $2.2 million grant from the U.S. Treasury Department. This money will help the developer finally proceed with Flats on Forward in Squirrel Hill.

In addition, some of the money is going to go toward a new project - converting three apartment buildings in East Liberty currently used by Pittsburgh Theological Seminary as dorms into affordable units.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 1:46 PM

From the PennDOT website:

Quote:
Commercial Street Bridge Feasibility Study Briefing (SR 376, A62)

The Commercial Street Bridge is located along Interstate 376 within the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County. The existing structure spans over the Nine Mile Watershed, Frick Park, and Commercial Street. A public meeting was held on Wednesday, November 13th, 2019 to provide an overview of the activities completed during the Feasibility Study and to review the anticipated project schedule moving forward. Conceptual structure replacement options were presented to the public for review and feedback.

As part of PENNDOT’s public involvement process, we have provided a PowerPoint presentation to learn more about the project and to provide an opportunity for you to provide feedback. At your convenience please provide your feedback by accessing the SurveyMonkey hyperlink located at the end of the PowerPoint presentation. Please contact Mike Szurley, P.E., Project Manager, at (412)-429-5035 or via e-mail at miszurley@pa.gov if you have any questions or concerns.

Please check out the Project Information SR0376 A62 Bridge Feasibility Study(PDF)
PDF describing the parkway bridge replacement:
SR0376 A62 Bridge Feasibility Study.pdf

This is going to be a big deal! While I live nearby and will be impacted, luckily I don't commute over the bridge. Commutes could be significantly effected depending on if they choose the slide-in option (2 week closure) vs the staged option (5 years of construction)!

Kenmawr bridge Replacement
Also... The Kenmawr bridge on Bradock avenue between Rankin and Swissvale. It's the one that goes over the railroad tracks.

Things to note:
  • The new bridge is much longer because it will be raised 4 feet to accomodate double stack trains.
  • 30 properties are being acquired around the bridge and buildings will be demolished. This will make room for a temporary bridge during construction.
  • The bridge will be closed for 75 days!
  • The Hawkins Village development is being demolished in this timeframe as well but that is unrelated.
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/tr...s/202002290009

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
From the PennDOT website:

PDF describing the parkway bridge replacement:
SR0376 A62 Bridge Feasibility Study.pdf

This is going to be a big deal! While I live nearby and will be impacted, luckily I don't commute over the bridge. Commutes could be significantly effected depending on if they choose the slide-in option (2 week closure) vs the staged option (5 years of construction)!
Close the Parkway for 2-3 weeks and slide in a steel tied arch bridge and be done with it. A few weeks of pain are better than dealing with a construction zone for 5 years. And plate girder bridges are ugly.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:43 PM

So they're publicly claiming that they plan to open this music venue and 288 units of housing in Spring 2022, and the FNB Tower in Summer 2022... it's Spring 2020 right now, so 2 years from now seems pretty ambitious, but we'll see what kind of developers the Penguins are I guess.

Penguins, Live Nation to team on music venue at former Civic Arena site

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202003050091

Quote:
After months of negotiation, the Pittsburgh Penguins have reached an agreement with Live Nation Entertainment to operate a 90,000-square-foot music venue at the former arena site. They are expected to formally announce the deal Thursday.

The live music venue, capable of holding 6,600 people, will feature a “three-in-one” arrangement, with a stage, a fixed seating area for club and theater performances, and an outdoor lawn. It will be built on top of an 850-space parking garage and surrounded by as much as 51,000 square feet of retail and commercial space.

The goal, he stressed, is to fill a “gap” in venues available in Pittsburgh for acts that are too small for PPG Paints but too big for some of the region’s smaller venues, including Stage AE, which can hold about 2,400 people indoors and 5,500 with its outdoor amphitheater.

The lower Hill music venue and garage are expected to cost $123 million in all. In addition to the venue itself, the Penguins are hoping to develop “small intimate jazz and entertainment concepts” at the site, located at Wylie Avenue and Logan Street in the middle of the former arena site.

Mr. Acklin said the Penguins have been in touch with investors trying to resurrect the famous Crawford Grill in the Hill to discuss a possible partnership as well as with others interested in a jazz club. The team also is considering a jazz museum in the development.

The Penguins plan to break ground on the music venue and garage, the office tower and the first 288 units of housing at the arena site this summer. The concert venue and housing are targeted for completion in spring 2022, with the office building to open that summer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:20 PM

Speaking of ambitious timelines, has there been any updates with the Esplanade?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 6:49 PM

New planning commission presentation online. Only two items for next week:

1. The Commission is reviewing the new Comprehensive Community Plan for Homewood. Unlike the already approved plans for Manchester-Chateau and Hazelwood, what's being presented to the Planning Commission is actually a bit skimpy. However, the full document is on the city of Pittsburgh website should anyone want to review it.

2. A developer is requesting a variance to allow for new townhomes within the "steep slope overlay" area at the northern fringes of the Central North Side. The plan for this vacant area is a set of six townhouses set back generously from the street, with a driveway sandwiched between four and two of the units to rear parking. This is better than what I had expected, which was snout houses which had their back stories buried into the hillside.

I should also note that "Bakery Square Refresh" is before the Commission once again near the bottom of the document. It appears that Walnut Capital has altered the design significantly to blend in more with the existing building and be more active on the street level.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
New planning commission presentation online.

I should also note that "Bakery Square Refresh" is before the Commission once again near the bottom of the document. It appears that Walnut Capital has altered the design significantly to blend in more with the existing building and be more active on the street level.
It may not mean anything, but they've used a mirrored version of the Smallman Galley logo in the renderings, which is interesting given the recent news about the closure of the Galley Group's food halls in other cities and speculation about the existing Pittsburgh locations. Having one in this East End spot makes some sense, especially with the adjacent offices & housing -- similar to Federal Galley & Nova Place which seems to do well with the happy hour crowd.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 6:29 AM

Wow...Wonder what happened to the two stories of office that were supposed to be on top of the apartments creating six stories (retail, apartments and office) instead of what appears to be only four stories (just retail and apartments) in this rendering. Check out the previous rendering at this link, which is also more attractive overall.

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...e-development/

Quote:
ACTION Housing got a $2.2 million grant from the U.S. Treasury Department. This money will help the developer finally proceed with Flats on Forward in Squirrel Hill.

In addition, some of the money is going to go toward a new project - converting three apartment buildings in East Liberty currently used by Pittsburgh Theological Seminary as dorms into affordable units.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Speaking of ambitious timelines, has there been any updates with the Esplanade?
One of my regular customers said he is in town working on that project. Trouble is he comes into my bar to unwind and never wants to talk shop so he hasn't had much to say in that regard. Then again, he hasn't been in for about 3 weeks and I used to see him every Friday and Saturday. Regardless, I would think the Cardello Building would have to be demoed before we see any real progress.

As far as the Arena Site goes... Wednesday is my day off but according to my boss about 10 or 15 construction workers came in on Wednesday night and told him they were hired to work on a music venue. My boss knows I'm the guy to talk to when it comes to local development so he was surprised it wasn't on my radar but sure enough, this was announced yesterday (today for me, I just got home from my shift ) but if they have a team assembled then it would stand to reason that they will break ground in the very near future.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 8:44 AM

unless they secured an anchor tenant preconstruction, it would be way too risky to put a significant amount of higher end office space atop affordable housing in Squirrel Hill... it just doesn’t seem to fit.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
unless they secured an anchor tenant preconstruction, it would be way too risky to put a significant amount of higher end office space atop affordable housing in Squirrel Hill... it just doesn’t seem to fit.
This is a total aside, but the fact that the only substantive multifamily housing in the core area of Squirrel Hill in recent years has been affordable showcases how much the relative desirability of neighborhoods has changed in the last 20 years.

I mean, Squirrel Hill is still fine. It's very desirable if you're a parent with children, and there's lots of convenient relatively affordable rental units for students. But it's absolutely not a place that young professionals want to live any longer.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
This is a total aside, but the fact that the only substantive multifamily housing in the core area of Squirrel Hill in recent years has been affordable showcases how much the relative desirability of neighborhoods has changed in the last 20 years.

I mean, Squirrel Hill is still fine. It's very desirable if you're a parent with children, and there's lots of convenient relatively affordable rental units for students. But it's absolutely not a place that young professionals want to live any longer.
I was thinking along these exact lines just the other day.

Yeah, Squirrel Hill is a great neighborhood (one of the best anywhere, in my opinion), but it understandably doesn't really fit too well right now with the young professional demographic in the city (which has changed significantly over the past 10 years). It's very expensive to buy a home there, and the apartments are generally rather run down, having seen decades of life as "student housing". Homes that are more approachable price-wise are usually pretty far south near Greenfield, a pretty good walk to Murray/Forbes/Shady, and the neighborhood is more suburban in setting.

Additionally, although Sq Hill is obviously a very convenient location (to Oakland, Southside, and Downtown), with newer, emerging employment hubs in East Liberty, the Strip, and Northside, it seems that geographically, the neighborhood might not be as attractive. And with Lawrenceville and the above-named locations pulling the bar/dining/nightlife title away from the Southside, it kinda feels to me like Squirrel Hill has become more of an "old standby". Though, if the proposed Hazelwood development gets going, I would think that Squirrel Hill's desirability could jump.

Over the years, I've always looked at core Pittsburgh neighborhood dynamics from a "river valley" standpoint. The (white) city has shifted from much more southern/Mon-focused to northern/Allegheny-focused.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Yeah, Squirrel Hill is a great neighborhood (one of the best anywhere, in my opinion), but it understandably doesn't really fit too well right now with the young professional demographic in the city (which has changed significantly over the past 10 years). It's very expensive to buy a home there, and the apartments are generally rather run down, having seen decades of life as "student housing". Homes that are more approachable price-wise are usually pretty far south near Greenfield, a pretty good walk to Murray/Forbes/Shady, and the neighborhood is more suburban in setting.
I've also wondered what the impact of the three big apartment buildings (SkyVue, Bridge on Forbes, and One on Centre) has been on the student rental market. In total the development added 1,500+ beds to Oakland since 2016. Enrollment at Pitt and CMU hasn't been growing that rapidly, so presumably more units close in has depreciated demand for the "dated" buildings somewhere.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
I've also wondered what the impact of the three big apartment buildings (SkyVue, Bridge on Forbes, and One on Centre) has been on the student rental market. In total the development added 1,500+ beds to Oakland since 2016. Enrollment at Pitt and CMU hasn't been growing that rapidly, so presumably more units close in has depreciated demand for the "dated" buildings somewhere.
Yeah, that's a good point, as I'm sure the new, more student-focused housing options right in the belly of the Oakland beast must pull some of the demand out of the traditional locales of Squirrel Hill and Shadyside. It seems like today's undergrads expect much more from "college housing", considering the resort lifestyle dorms that are being built on campuses across the country to pull in the undergrad dollar that has normally been going off campus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations