HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I'm becoming increasingly convinced the word gentrification is loaded with anti white racism. If you notice it is never used when a wealthy group of another color starts migrating to a new area. It only shows up when white people start moving in. You are not seeing people crying gentrification about the flood of Chinese into McKinley Park, Bridgeport, and Bronzeville. Why? Probably because it is not OK to rabble rouse about Asians. Gentrification is basically a word for when white people displace minorities. I'm getting really sick of the "discussion" about it.
I've noticed many times on this forum, there has been code words used to pretty much say "we don't want white people / white people are bad / etc." That's why I questioned the term "white washed" earlier and was dismissive of the comment that said Bronzeville should be something similar to Harlem of yesteryear.
People can try to put a play on words of however they want, but it's easy to decipher their true thoughts and beliefs. That said, I could care less, I'm a grown man, and the white male guilt that society pushes on that demographic doesn't fool me.
No ethnic group owns a neighborhood, they change. And that includes the old, white, racist segment of Bridgeport.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 10:09 PM
The City

^ Perhaps, but "sense of place" is often a neat byproduct of gentrification.

I don't think many people realize how important this is. Chicago either gentrifies or dies.

In 20 years we can start looking around and trying to preserve cute places, but we just aren't there quite yet. We need a vast footprint of stability in this city as a foundation to coalesce around.

And keep bringing in the Asians. That is a must

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Perhaps, but "sense of place" is often a neat byproduct of gentrification.

I don't think many people realize how important this is. Chicago either gentrifies or dies.

In 20 years we can start looking around and trying to preserve cute places, but we just aren't there quite yet. We need a vast footprint of stability in this city as a foundation to coalesce around.

And keep bringing in the Asians. That is a must
Second this! We need as much foreign capital and investment as possible to keep the city budget afloat. It's the only way we can help to try to provide the services and schools to our neighborhoods that will help keep the middle class from fleeing to the suburbs. We have lost a sizable portion of south side middle class families to the south suburbs due to the increasing violence that has popped up there in the past decade.

Last edited by Mikemak27; Jun 21, 2016 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Misspelled word

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 10:26 PM

Shhh guys, stop talking sense, soon the dissenters will come complaining about the "tone" of "some on this forum" and lamenting how the "people who created the character of the neighborhood that made it so attractive in the first place" are getting pushed out.

That last argument in particular I don't care for one bit. I'm sorry to be blunt, but no one moved into Logan Square because it was a immigrant ghetto, that's not what attracted them. They moved there because it was an intact built environment sitting on an L line 15 minutes from the Loop with a dope set of boulevards and parks lined by well preserved historic buildings. They didn't move there to get better access to elotes, bizarre religious supply stores, and the Mega Mall.

The exact same elements make McKinley Park, Bridgeport, Little Village, and Pilsen attractive. But again, people weren't moving into Pilsen to be closer to Nueva Leon, they are moving there to be closer downtown and live in a relatively complete neighborhood composed of attractive historic buildings. This is also the real reason areas like Bronzeville and Garfield Park continue to never gentrify, the built environment in those areas is devastated. It's no shocker that development always coalesces around an intact historic retail corridor, that is the cornerstone to all attractive redevelopment targets. I just had someone telling me yesterday that "Garfield Park is about to pop" which I took to mean "a recession is just around the corner". Seriously, he was saying everything down there is suddenly selling for over list and multiple times what it sold for a few years ago.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
No ethnic group owns a neighborhood, they change. And that includes the old, white, racist segment of Bridgeport.
I notice Chinatown conveniently gets left out of this conversation. Why is that OK, and even defended, and Pilsen isnt?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I notice Chinatown conveniently gets left out of this conversation. Why is that OK, and even defended, and Pilsen isnt?
Because no one else is trying to move into Chinatown because the Chinese community continues to swell and, rather than gradually diffuse into the suburbs as they assimilate, they seem to be very rooted in the city. If there were people flocking to Chinatown outside of the Chinese community, I don't think anyone here would be defending cries of "gentrification", but there aren't hordes of hipsters descending on that area, so it's left out of the conversation. It simply isn't seeing the trends other areas of the city are. In fact, its probably the one burgeoning immigrant community we have right now since immigration from Mexico has gradually dried up since the recession.

It just goes back to exactly what I said before, it's not "evil gentrification" until white people start showing up and, as of right now, I don't see a lot of "Chad and Trixies" or hipsters jonesing for a fashionable pad in Chinatown. In fact, the community continues to spread into neighboring areas (as I mentioned, Bronzeville, McKinley Park, and Bridgeport) and displace residents from those areas as rows of $500k townhomes are constructed. No one is complaining that the Chinese are gentrifying those areas despite the fact that we are seeing the Chinese community doing quite the same thing to those areas as white hipsters are doing to Logan Square or Humboldt Park. It would be racist to decry Chinese displacing whites in Bridgeport or Hispanics in McKinley Park, but it's not racist to decry white hipsters displacing Hispanics in Pilsen or Logan Square.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Because no one else is trying to move into Chinatown because the Chinese community continues to swell and, rather than gradually diffuse into the suburbs as they assimilate, they seem to be very rooted in the city. If there were people flocking to Chinatown outside of the Chinese community, I don't think anyone here would be defending cries of "gentrification", but there aren't hordes of hipsters descending on that area, so it's left out of the conversation. It simply isn't seeing the trends other areas of the city are. In fact, its probably the one burgeoning immigrant community we have right now since immigration from Mexico has gradually dried up since the recession.
I dont think its true that "people dont want to move there" at all. Its just as convenient to downtown as Pilsen is. You can walk from one to the other. No reason one would be attractive and the other wouldnt.

Try renting there as an outsider. Good luck even finding an available property through any traditional channel. There are none. Hence why "chads and trixies" arent moving there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chicago/com..._in_chinatown/

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:11 PM
The City

Quote:
Because Asians have money, and can compete. Instead of bitching and moaning and running to their local Government official to stop the "evil white people" from moving in they are actually participating in the free market and buying up real estate themselves. Same with Indo-Pak people. Government not needed, thank you very much.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
That last argument in particular I don't care for one bit. I'm sorry to be blunt, but no one moved into Logan Square because it was a immigrant ghetto, that's not what attracted them. They moved there because it was an intact built environment sitting on an L line 15 minutes from the Loop with a dope set of boulevards and parks lined by well preserved historic buildings. They didn't move there to get better access to elotes, bizarre religious supply stores, and the Mega Mall.

The exact same elements make McKinley Park, Bridgeport, Little Village, and Pilsen attractive. But again, people weren't moving into Pilsen to be closer to Nueva Leon, they are moving there to be closer downtown and live in a relatively complete neighborhood composed of attractive historic buildings. This is also the real reason areas like Bronzeville and Garfield Park continue to never gentrify, the built environment in those areas is devastated..
For the most part I agree - though the point is that if you push it out too much then it has too much impact on the city as a whole. Look, I don't live in Pilsen for example, but I enjoy going on a train ride there, going around to the galleries, Mexican whatever, and seeing mural art around there. Do you think it would be a great thing if Pilsen turned into something exactly like Lakeview? That's why I can understand why the people there are actually worried about it. I would love new development there, but also selfishly, I can completely understand them. This is why i'd rather have areas like Garfield Park where there's nothing much there.. gentrify long before an area like Pilsen. Of course, as you point out, because there's a lot of vacant lots, it's less likely to happen. Bronzeville is an example of an area with a good deal of vacant land that's actually seen a fair amount of new construction in the last handful of years.

People can continue to push out and create new areas, which is great, but eventually you'd hope there'd be an end where they wouldn't all have to move to the fucking suburbs to meet their needs. We need the city to be dynamic, not full of a bunch of neighborhoods that all look the same.

Quote:
Because Asians have money, and can compete. Instead of bitching and moaning and running to their local Government official to stop the "evil white people" from moving in they are actually participating in the free market and buying up real estate themselves. Same with Indo-Pak people. Government not needed, thank you very much.
I'll say this - based on my experience at least, there are many Asian people who are pretty fearless when it comes to Urban stuff. Can't speak for anybody else - but just in my own experience with one thing.

Last edited by marothisu; Jun 21, 2016 at 11:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, all "Asians have money and can compete" . Generalize much? I bet you think theyre all good at math and violin too?

Nice underhanded racism in the other direction too. Pilsen and Little Village residents own their homes and businesses just as much as any other community.

Again, try and find an available property for rent in Chinatown. You will find zero. Does that mean none exist? I suspect not.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:32 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Yes, all "Asians have money and can compete" . Generalize much? I bet you think theyre all good at math and violin too?

Nice underhanded racism in the other direction too. Pilsen and Little Village residents own their homes and businesses just as much as any other community.

Again, try and find an available property for rent in Chinatown. You will find zero. Does that mean none exist? I suspect not.
Yeah, UP has really has been trippin lately. You should really lay off the racial code words dude.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:39 PM
urbanpln

Quote:

Yeah, UP really has been trippin lately. You should really lay off the racial code words dude.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:39 PM
The City

Quote:

Sure, but running to the Government to solve your problems because you're not competing is a sign of weakness. Chicago needs people who can compete in the global economy, not people who run to the Government to "save me!!"

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:43 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
Yeah, UP really has been trippin lately. You should really lay off the racial code words dude.
Are you serious?

Gentrification isn't a code word? Free market real estate development as I view it is more color blind than anything racists such as the anti-gentrification Nazis can conceive of.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:43 PM

Youre losing it, tup. And pretty clearly talking out of both sides of your mouth on this issue, and crafting convenient (also rather offensive) stereotypes to fit your preferred narrative

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
For the most part I agree - though the point is that if you push it out too much then it has too much impact on the city as a whole. Look, I don't live in Pilsen for example, but I enjoy going on a train ride there, going around to the galleries, Mexican whatever, and seeing mural art around there. Do you think it would be a great thing if Pilsen turned into something exactly like Lakeview? That's why I can understand why the people there are actually worried about it. I would love new development there, but also selfishly, I can completely understand them. This is why i'd rather have areas like Garfield Park where there's nothing much there.. gentrify long before an area like Pilsen. Of course, as you point out, because there's a lot of vacant lots, it's less likely to happen. Bronzeville is an example of an area with a good deal of vacant land that's actually seen a fair amount of new construction in the last handful of years.

People can continue to push out and create new areas, which is great, but eventually you'd hope there'd be an end where they wouldn't all have to move to the fucking suburbs to meet their needs. We need the city to be dynamic, not full of a bunch of neighborhoods that all look the same.
But you see that's the fundamentally incorrect assumption at play here, that the people being displaced are helpless and can't fend for themselves or make rational decisions. There are many MANY homeowners in places like Pilsen and Little Village and many, but not all, of them are choosing to "sell out" (i.e. take the money that is rightfully theirs) and move to a community that doesn't have gang problems which has a good school district that will grant their children or grand children easy entrance to the American middle class. These people are not idiots and the "gentrification is evil" bunch is basically claiming they are or at least advocating stripping them of their rights as property owners. No one who owns a property in these areas is being "forced to move out of the city" they are simply making the same choice that millions of white people made decades ago when offered a choice between living next to a slum and having an acre lot with a 3,000 SF ranch home on it.

And not all suburbs are awful, in fact huge numbers of Hispanics have moved to parts of the suburbs that could turn around very quickly with the help of an influx of new blood. What's wrong with families that have been living on top of each other in a six flat in Pilsen for 30 years selling out for $500k and each getting their own bungalow in Cicero? I see that as a fair reward for coming to this country, taking a risk by purchasing property, and raising offspring who contribute to our society.

And finally, let's get over the notion that Chicago has ANY lack of decent outlying neighborhoods badly in need of a population boost. For every bombed out slum or gentrifying immigrant neighborhood there are two or three more or less forgotten areas like Belmont Gardens, Archer Heights, Hermosa, Gage Park, Montclare, Back of the Yards, etc, etc, etc which could take on a huge amount of population if the demand was there. The other hard fact we have to face is that areas like Garfield Park, Bronzeville, Austin, Lawndale, etc let alone the deep South Side like Englewood or Chatam or Grand Crossing will never recover unless there simply is nowhere else in the city for growth to occur. They are last on the list not because of demographics or location, but because there is simply such an immense land glut in these areas that it would take a tidal wave of demand to increase prices to the point where new construction is viable. Without new construction, these devastated commercial districts and corner lots will never fill in, and if they never fill in, the land values will never be high enough to justify new construction. Thus development never happens and the neighborhood just gradually rots away as the fungus of blight sets in.

The only way to reverse that is to have such immense amounts of demand spilling over that you get entirely new districts being constructed like we are seeing on the edge of Ukrainian Village and the blighted districts to the South. That's probably the only part of the city other than McKinley Park where significant organic regeneration of blighted formerly industrial areas is occurring outside of downtown. Eventually that slow creep of renewal will reach Garfield Park, but you can build an awful lot of units between Grand/Western and Madison/Ashland for example. The development marches slowly South at maybe a block or so a year, but that's only along a small frontier in a few pockets of the city.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:55 PM
The City

Quote:
Youre losing it, tup. And pretty clearly talking out of both sides of your mouth on this issue, and crafting convenient (also rather offensive) stereotypes to fit your preferred narrative
^ No, I'm really not. My standpoint is pretty much clear as crystal. You just don't like to hear what I have to say.

I certainly see zero contradiction in anything I'm saying. If you do, point it out and defend it. Good luck.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
But you see that's the fundamentally incorrect assumption at play here, that the people being displaced are helpless and can't fend for themselves or make rational decisions.
I never once tried to imply that. I also even mentioned the non homeowners moving to other areas. Even when people own in those areas, they still complain about it. The NIMBYs in Logan Square for the twin towers were bitching, even as they owned their property, because of the rising property values they thought they'd face.

Quote:
And not all suburbs are awful, in fact huge numbers of Hispanics have moved to parts of the suburbs that could turn around very quickly with the help of an influx of new blood.
What I said had absolutely ZERO to do with how good, or bad, suburbs are. My point was that even if you have people who think they have to move away, I'd hope they stay in the city itself.

Quote:
And finally, let's get over the notion that Chicago has ANY lack of decent outlying neighborhoods badly in need of a population boost. For every bombed out slum or gentrifying immigrant neighborhood there are two or three more or less forgotten areas like Belmont Gardens, Archer Heights, Hermosa, Gage Park, Montclare, Back of the Yards, etc, etc, etc which could take on a huge amount of population if the demand was there. The other hard fact we have to face is that areas like Garfield Park, Bronzeville, Austin, Lawndale, etc let alone the deep South Side like Englewood or Chatam or Grand Crossing will never recover unless there simply is nowhere else in the city for growth to occur.
Actually, a few of these areas like East Garfield Park (I think - maybe it was West) and Austin actually have been estimated to have grown since 2010, believe it or not. And yes, I agree there are vast parts of the city which could comfortably experience an influx of new people.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I don't think he was very PC about his wording, but to be fair there is truth to the stereotype about these groups having more money. Typically the people immigrating to the US from India or China are already middle class back home and are coming here seeking better quality of life or political freedoms. Most Hispanic immigrants to the United States are economic migrants, though I will note that I've noticed a large subset of middle class Hispanic immigrants. I just sold a property to a family from Mexico City who are clearly doing quite well for themselves despite being first generation migrants to this country.

Regardless, if you think he's stereotyping, then why are the Chinese buying up rows of $500k townhomes in McKinley Park while lots all over Pilsen have sat idle for a generation? I don't think ALL members of either group fit any mold, but it's clear that the newest residents of Chinatown aren't your typical immigrant group fleeing conflict or economic malaise, they have often made it in their home country and now want to trade in some of their success for a country where they feel their rights will be protected by the rule of law in the long term.

I don't know much about Indians and Pakistani's, but I think TUP could be considered something of an "expert" on that demographic at least in terms of anecdotal evidence. All I'm saying is that he didn't exactly qualify his remarks in a sensitive manner, but there is some fact behind those generalizations.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
For every bombed out slum or gentrifying immigrant neighborhood there are two or three more or less forgotten areas like Belmont Gardens, Archer Heights, Hermosa, Gage Park, Montclare, Back of the Yards, etc, etc, etc which could take on a huge amount of population if the demand was there.
these are all decent enough neighborhoods, but they also all lack good public transit infrastructure. they are islands if you dont own a car, and that isnt going to change any time soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development