HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 2:43 PM

Is this the end for the Clybourn PMD?

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/4/29/...rapyard-closed

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
How hard would it be to re-use the terracotta ? looks like the few existing accents could be pasted on fairly easily.
It's already torn down.

And god, that replacement is awful.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 2:56 PM

^Yep. It's been gone for half a year now.

Is there really no market for retail in this area?

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 3:56 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
^Yep. It's been gone for half a year now.

Is there really no market for retail in this area?
I've lived right near there for around 8 years now. That stretch of Irving Park between Broadway at ~800 West and Sheridan at 1000 West is quite the dead zone of activity.

Between that awful hospital that eats up the *entire* block on the north side with parking lots and the fairly devoid areas on the south side, most of the retail and pedestrian activity is clustered right around the Sheridan L and then for sure all down Broadway.

Irving is quite dead from Broadway all the way to the other side of the cemetery. It's a big ugly street with wide stretches of parking or cemetery or open areas. Not much drawing people to walk down the streets.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 4:12 PM
The City

^ Yeah I hate that area. Thorek sucks ass, I hope they're paying taxes on all that land they are banking.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
927 W Irving Park - 28 units, 14 parking spaces
Looks good! I like this style of building as a form of general in-fill. Small amount of parking spaces. I do agree that it would be great to have street-level retail, to help create pedestrian activity, though.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
I've lived right near there for around 8 years now. That stretch of Irving Park between Broadway at ~800 West and Sheridan at 1000 West is quite the dead zone of activity.

Between that awful hospital that eats up the *entire* block on the north side with parking lots and the fairly devoid areas on the south side, most of the retail and pedestrian activity is clustered right around the Sheridan L and then for sure all down Broadway.

Irving is quite dead from Broadway all the way to the other side of the cemetery. It's a big ugly street with wide stretches of parking or cemetery or open areas. Not much drawing people to walk down the streets.
Byrons's ? the coffee shop on the NW corner of Sherican/Irving - and the (in)famous Sheridan L Liquors ?

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Chicago View Post
Looks good! I like this style of building as a form of general in-fill. Small amount of parking spaces. I do agree that it would be great to have street-level retail, to help create pedestrian activity, though.
Oh yes giant blank wall with fake windows hiding parking, very pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Is this the end for the Clybourn PMD?

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/4/29/...rapyard-closed
Anyone going to the meeting tomorrow?

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post

Sure the hospital is what is is, and not much that can be done about that, but om the other side of the street it seems like there should be a steady stream of people walking from the Sheridan Red Line toward Broadway, and that there would then be more of a market for a small business district here.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Oh yes giant blank wall with fake windows hiding parking, very pedestrian friendly.
Initially I was thinking WOW, a building with actual residences just slightly above the street. Noooooope

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 11:06 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Chicago View Post
Looks good?!?!

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 11:07 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Sure the hospital is what is is, and not much that can be done about that, but om the other side of the street it seems like there should be a steady stream of people walking from the Sheridan Red Line toward Broadway, and that there would then be more of a market for a small business district here.
Well there really isn't all that much on Broadway in either direction North or South of Irving Park. The BP Gas Station on Irving Park is a huge buzz kill for the area, imo.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 12:02 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
927 W Irving Park - 28 units, 14 parking spaces
Inspired

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say; I like the building overall, but meant to communicate that it would have been better to have some street level retail here. Its too bad that they didn't do that, but other than that, I like the overall style of the building itself.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Looks good?!?!
I personally like it, yes.

Thankfully, not everyone on this board is going to agree on style, aesthetics, etc. of specific buildings. Everyone has different tastes...eye of the beholder, and all that.

I don't want every building to be another Sears Tower or another architectural masterpiece. I feel that buildings such as this, work well for in-fill, and quite frankly, I think it is the buildings such as this (in size and scope) that help make neighborhoods such as Lakeview, as amazing as they are. I like a mixture of awesome buildings and buildings such as this.

What I think most of us DO agree on, is wanting to help build out walkable, livable, urban environments. We all agree on the frame; it's the painting on the actual canvass that is up to the beholder to like or not like.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:36 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Initially I was thinking WOW, a building with actual residences just slightly above the street. Noooooope
No, you're correct. This building does NOT have parking fronting the street.

It's a TOD building which means they're getting by with a small number of basement parking spots (28 units, 14 spaces). The street frontage is indeed a pair of 3 bedroom, duplex-down units.

Last edited by ardecila; May 3, 2016 at 5:24 AM.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:39 AM
The City

^ Really? Well then, not so bad. But Thorek still blows

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:29 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Byrons's ? the coffee shop on the NW corner of Sherican/Irving - and the (in)famous Sheridan L Liquors ?
I thought I said except for the area around the Sheridan L, there's plenty of stuff there along Sheridan from the Ace up to Howard Brown and on either side of Sheridan on Irving, but once you get further to the east it's fairly dead until Irving.

It's not inspired at least...

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:31 PM
THAT Guy

2340 N. California Ave - 138 microunits, 44 parking spots, retail, pocket park

Quote:
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...eads-community

Logan Square 'Micro Apartments' Heads To Community

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development