HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 2:31 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
The wind yesterday was lower than it is today if I'm not mistaken. Today is just 'good' cus it's the day Osama died. Symbolism or something?

If the problem was wind then why isn't it going up RIGHT NOW??? Not a breath in that sky.
Look, I live here and can tell you the wind has been a big issue all winter and spring. Especially near the water. I am an avid boater and fisherman and I watch the wind very closely. My boat was delayed going in for two weeks because of wind. I've wanting to take a boat ride towards the city all week and have not been able to do so because of... you guessed it wind and rough waters. I would be the first to jump down the P.A.'s throat if it was not true. But it is.

As for why it was not installed yesterday is because it was never planned to be and was not ready to be... clearly stated by the P.A. No ulterior motives as to why it was yesterday just perfect conditions.

And with that said, I was finally able to take my first boat ride of the season towards the city yesterday.

Sorry I only had my iPhone with me.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 2:40 PM

Earthcams skyline cam shows that the glass is almost complete! Like, it could be finished on that side TODAY!

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 3:18 PM

My first post... and a little bit of photoshop (well, gimp):

Original image by mazzway

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 3:45 PM
Mr. Technology

Awesome update, pnapp1!
I believe you regarding the wind.
That spire is very heavy. You don't want any accidents. One slip and a worker could possible fall to his death.

Safety first, people!

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjram View Post
My first post... and a little bit of photoshop (well, gimp):

Original image by mazzway
And I finished it off for ya:

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 4:11 PM

Nicely done on the photoshop!

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGarcia View Post
Not Controversial
There is no doubt that by any architectural standard the current spire is not as good as design or as fitting with the building as the originally designed spire with the covering was. Primarily it needs to be white to fit with the rest of the finishes of the building. Secondarily it should be thicker to achieve the proper proportions.
You may like the spire as is because you want to like the building badly, you may like it just because you do (there are people who think crushed velvet paintings of Elvis are better than Rembrandt) and your opinion is fine, no problem. But by any serious review using architectural standards the current spire is not good.
Point By Point:

1. Please help me define "any architectural standard". Are you proposing to take the tried and true "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" maxim and reduce it to some kind of empirical formula by which every single example of architecture is judged without slightest exception to the rule?? These very same folks who fancy themselves as grand exponents of such standards are in reality little more than self-imprtant dilettantes who look down their snouts at those whose opinions deviate even by a hair.

2. Why must it be white? People are already kvetching that as it is this 400+ foot, pretty-damned-hefty spire can't be seen even from somewhere like the Verazzano Bridge, which IMO is stretching it more than a bit. Therefore, whitening it defeats the purpose of making it more prominent from afar. Keeping it as is is good enough. The metallic corners of the building are better suited for a darker color anyhow.
Secondly, I see no issue with proportion. I mean, look at the antennae of Prudential in Chicago and 1 Shell Plaza in Houston: "That's disproportionate, especially re Shell. Tacking a plain antenna on top of a 715' building just to get it to 1,000' is just plain lazy.

3. I *love* this building; but not suprisingly not as much for anything it may show above ground as for what lies beneath. It has been a fascinating watch to see how unprecedented structure security measures are put into effect. The rest is cake AFAIC. In fact the one aspect of this buidling I *didn't* like was the radome spire, and it was almost exclusively because of the shape and dimensions of it.

Now *there* IMO is an instance of garing disproportionality. But are ***you going to tell me I'm somehow "wrong" for not appreciating why they should've chosen the route you would've liked them to take? Why? Why should your review...or any "artistic" review for that matter...be univerally taken with such poker-faced gravity?

Artistry and architecture can be taken only so far together before one ultimately makes the other look farcical...and I already extrapolated this observation to the radome spire in another thread. This "spantenna" is the most realistic solution available, while at the same time tipping its hat to a semi-architectural need to exaggerate. It also IMO honors NY's industrial heritage, which to me spuersedes any chi-chi homage to whatever thing that some clueless, Johnny-come-lately starchitect *thinks* NY is famous for.

I myself can appreciate all sorts of art, while those that make me wanna barf I simply walk away from without denigrating the efforts of the creator. The idea that there should be universal standards in place to judge good form from bad---and by extension good taste from bad---somehow violates, apropos to this thread. the sovreign right to hold forth on the design of a naked "spantenna" one way or another without ad hoc reprisal.

***:@JMGarcia: I did not mean to suggest that you personally would've accused me of being wrong about something you'd feel strongly about. I should've re-worded it to ask rhetorically whether some hypersensitive guardian of his aesthetic sensibilities would have the fortitude to "call me out".

Last edited by JayPro; May 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM. Reason: additions

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 5:52 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post
Will I shock everybody if I say that the antenna of 1WTC is too high?

A "good antenna" must be a tenth of the building it belongs to.
That antenna is a quarter of 1WTC. That's too much.
And the officials would like to include it as a part of the structure??!!
I call that cheating.
Too easy. Let's add an iron piece on the roof of a 420m tall tower, and let's pretend to have the third tallest skyscraper in the world. In my head, 1WTC will always be smaller than Shanghai IFC or Taipei101. That iron stick doesn't count, even if it is part of the structure.

I wish that the antenna was 50m shorter. Or, the roof 50m higher, haha.

It's a good thing its not an antenna, then.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 6:02 PM

More glass progress!

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 6:18 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
This is just epic. I can't even begin to imagine how surreal this view is going to be once 2&3 WTC are completed.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 6:58 PM
She needs her space

NYC is so epic. Can we just agree that it is officially the center of the universe these days? It's been too long since I've been over there and these pictures on all these construction threads are making me salivate.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 7:05 PM

https://twitter.com/bluishhue2
I'm trying to put at least one picture of the skyline every day that I'm at work, this one is from today

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 8:20 PM
Come As You Are

Quote:
I was going to wait to post this until after the spire was finished but since NYGuy brought the subject of spires and antennas up I figured I'd say it now.

Not Controversial

There is no doubt that by any architectural standard the current spire is not as good as design or as fitting with the building as the originally designed spire with the covering was. Primarily it needs to be white to fit with the rest of the finishes of the building. Secondarily it should be thicker to achieve the proper proportions.

You may like the spire as is because you want to like the building badly, you may like it just because you do (there are people who think crushed velvet paintings of Elvis are better than Rembrandt) and your opinion is fine, no problem. But by any serious review using architectural standards the current spire is not good.
Any serious review of architecture standards? So Richard Rogers' Industrial Style architecture isn't valid then? Thie current spire gives a cool industrial look, which relates more to NYC's character, unlike the radome, which belonged more in Dubai than in NYC. And I'm not the only one who thinks this.

So it's indeed controversial.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 8:38 PM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post
Will I shock everybody if I say that the antenna of 1WTC is too high?

A "good antenna" must be a tenth of the building it belongs to.
That antenna is a quarter of 1WTC. That's too much.
And the officials would like to include it as a part of the structure??!!
I call that cheating.
Too easy. Let's add an iron piece on the roof of a 420m tall tower, and let's pretend to have the third tallest skyscraper in the world. In my head, 1WTC will always be smaller than Shanghai IFC or Taipei101. That iron stick doesn't count, even if it is part of the structure.

I wish that the antenna was 50m shorter. Or, the roof 50m higher, haha.
If they added 3o meters to the roof and dropped 30 from the antennae, it would be the same exact building (in height) as Taipei 101.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 9:28 PM
don't *meddle*...

To be honest I don't really care anymore which tower is taller / shorter than 1WTC, especially since it won't be the peak of the New York skyline for very long (--> 432 PA & Nordstrom Tower).

Nowadays where Dubai, Saudi Arabia and China build the WTB and countless megatalls just for the sake of it, the U.S. simply can't - and shouldn't for that matter - compete. We are in a different developing stage then those countries, i.e. here we build on demand.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 9:47 PM

@Hunser:

That. Indeed, this is what makes NYC's building superbinge all the more incredible, even in the midst of our own economic shakiness.
All throughout Asia--from the Turkish Straits to the South China Sea--we're seeing what amounts to very little more than a pissing contest. In North America and Europe (to an arguably lesser degree), construction and demand are joined at the hip.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 9:50 PM

I never expected my opinion of the aethestics to have raised hackels especially since I specifically said that
Quote:
..your opinion is fine, no problem..
I understand how some people could like this better. Really I do. What I really expected that my idea of scrapping what the CTBUH is calling the "official height" would get more responses. In essence I'm saying whether a spire or an antenna should not make a difference in their height calculations.

In any case. To talk about this I think we'd have to agree that there is a "generally accepted" concept of good design in architecture both of massing and color as well as what elements fit together well. It is neither absolute nor monolithic, does not need to followed slavishly, nor does it apply to all. It'll probably change next year or the year after that. But, if we cannot agree on that then there is such a thing as generally accepted "good desing" there is no point in the discussion. I also think that when it comes to aesthetics every opinion is just as valid as another but that doesn't mean that there is not a "generally accepted" good design idea.

If we go by "generally accepted" concepts of good design then I will say that I think reviews by professional architects and reviewers would agree that Childs' desing is "better" than the exposed support structure which is really of no design at all. Childs' desing may be flawed and there could certainly be worse designs that the exposed support structure but comparing just these 2 I think the majority would agree that Childs' desing was better based on generally accepted principles of good design. It's not like we are comparing 2 designs here, we are comparing a design to a support structure.

Good design can be taught in terms of both massing and color. There is empirical evidence that certain massing and color combos are please to more people than others.

I think the spire needs to be white because in my opinion and from empirical evidence white is more pleasing with a blue and silver color scheme than black. There is good reason you see virtually every building with that color scheme with a white spire rather than black. Not everyone prefers it but the majority clearly do. Further, I think it is truer to the architects intent, and if the support structure (which was never meant to be seen) is going to be exposed to save money then keeping the top white was the least they could've done.

I agree that proportionally it was not perfect in either version.

Having said all that, I'll repeat that with aethestics everyone can have an opinion and it can be valid even if in the minority of one. But, I think when the reviews come in on this, the original spire will be seen as a better design for the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Point By Point:

1. Please help me define "any architectural standard". Are you proposing to take the tried and true "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" maxim and reduce it to some kind of empirical formula by which every single example of architecture is judged without slightest exception to the rule?? These very same folks who fancy themselves as grand exponents of such standards are in reality little more than self-imprtant dilettantes who look down their snouts at those whose opinions deviate even by a hair.

2. Why must it be white? People are already kvetching that as it is this 400+ foot, pretty-damned-hefty spire can't be seen even from somewhere like the Verazzano Bridge, which IMO is stretching it more than a bit. Therefore, whitening it defeats the purpose of making it more prominent from afar. Keeping it as is is good enough. The metallic corners of the building are better suited for a darker color anyhow.
Secondly, I see no issue with proportion. I mean, look at the antennae of Prudential in Chicago and 1 Shell Plaza in Houston: "That's disproportionate, especially re Shell. Tacking a plain antenna on top of a 715' building just to get it to 1,000' is just plain lazy.

3. I *love* this building; but not suprisingly not as much for anything it may show above ground as for what lies beneath. It has been a fascinating watch to see how unprecedented structure security measures are put into effect. The rest is cake AFAIC. In fact the one aspect of this buidling I *didn't* like was the radome spire, and it was almost exclusively because of the shape and dimensions of it.

Now *there* IMO is an instance of garing disproportionality. But are you going to tell me I'm somehow "wrong" for not appreciating why they should've chosen the route you would've liked them to take? Why? Why should your review...or any "artistic" review for that metter...be univerally taken with such poker-faced gravity?

Artistry and architecture can be taken only so far together before one ultimately makes the other look farcical...and I already extrapolated this observation to the radome spire in another thread. This "spantenna" is the most realistic solution available, while at the same time tipping its hat to a semi-architectural need to exaggerate. It also IMO honors NY's industrial heritage, which to me spuersedes any chi-chi homage to whatever thing that some clueless, Johnny-come-lately starchitect *thinks* NY is famous for.

I myself can appreciate all sorts of art, while those that make me wanna barf I simply walk away from without denigrating the efforts of the creator. The idea that there should be universal standards in place to judge good form from bad---and by extension good taste from bad---somehow violates, apropos to this thread. the sovreign right to hold forth on the design of a naked "spantenna" one way or another without ad hoc reprisal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Any serious review of architecture standards? So Richard Rogers' Industrial Style architecture isn't valid then? Thie current spire gives a cool industrial look, which relates more to NYC's character, unlike the radome, which belonged more in Dubai than in NYC. And I'm not the only one who thinks this.

So it's indeed controversial.
I quite like Roger's industrial style and is certainly not invalid, but to stick a piece of industrial style on a building that is not industrial style is a mistake in my opinion. The exposed support structure is not even a piece of industrial style architecture. It is a support structure. It was never designed at all beyond the function of supporting an outer shell.

Now, if you want to argue form should follow function then I think you have a point.

I'm sure you're not the only one who likes the support structure better bare than covered with radome. I never argued that. But that doesn't make it good design considering it was never designed to be seen at all.

I'm also not sure I agree that an exposed support structure is more to NYC's character. I think NYC's character is defined more by the sleekness of art deco than industrial metal works. Perhaps NYC's true character lies in its variety though, both in its people and architecture.

Finally, I didn't think my opinion of the design would be controversial as I think it has been well established in this thread that we all have our own opinions. I should've made it clearer I guess than just saying
Quote:
..your opinion is fine, no problem..

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 10:19 PM
🇺🇸🏫🏢🏣🏦

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/i...H7mHg9WGvukfEM

Old Glory flew proudly above lower Manhattan yesterday as the flag-draped final piece of 1 World Trade Center soared to the top of the building and signaled the massive tower’s rise from the ashes of 9/11 is nearly complete. The spire, which will make the skyscraper exactly 1,776 feet tall, was delicately hoisted by construction workers into a sky as clear and blue as it had been the morning of Sept. 11, 2001. Yesterday’s milestone also came on the second anniversary of the SEAL team raid that took out Osama bin Laden. The work crews beamed with pride and cheered as they watched the dramatic climax to a decade of work at the WTC site. “Everybody put a lot of proud work into this building,” said ironworker Michael O’Reilly, 38. “This is our city. This is our building. We put it back up.” Port Authority officials said the spire’s final piece will sit atop a platform until weather conditions allow workers to perform the final installation in the next few weeks. The tower’s symbolic height of 1,776 feet — a nod to the nation’s birth year — will make it a candidate to be the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and the third tallest in the world.

Well, it seems like we are gonna have to wait a bit.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 10:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheadroom View Post
I was HOPING against all hope that someone with authority would be swept up in the moment and somehow would be able to decide to push forward and finish the thing.
The Port Authority doesn't get swept up in anything, unless it involves raising tolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
NYC is so epic. Can we just agree that it is officially the center of the universe these days?
What do you mean these days....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Thie current spire gives a cool industrial look,
Unfortunately, the tower does not.

Quote:
I never expected my opinion of the aethestics to have raised hackels
It's the nature of this board. There is no such thing as an offhanded comment or opinion that will not be taken to another level. It's why we try so hard to keep these threads on track.

I think at this point, the only architectural feature of the mast is the very top. Whether or not that will be enough to sway the council remains to be seen.

Anyway, the media day produced at least one front page for the Freedom Tower...

(NY Post)

And a decent spread inside...

Some distant views...

truthinpassingx

jonpollock

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
NYC is so epic. Can we just agree that it is officially the center of the universe these days? .
yes, of course, but was there a serious argument that it wasn't? and it's not just "these days" it's been the center of the universe for quite some time

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive