HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 3:10 PM
Skyriser

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Moving buildings should be a last resort and I think the old warehouse-style structures work perfectly where they are to balance out options for newer development and the ability to salvage a neighborhood out of that area. For 3 extra blocks deadending at 7th Avenue and the brand new stupid police building and the O'Connor courthouse, there's significant diminishing utility.

The circulation from downtown should be shifted to the north (and south somewhat) where there is still the possibility to have an urban walkable strip that opens into the central park space.

You're right for the rest tho, the other buildings, mostly the Court of Appeals, should be left to rot and demolished sooner rather than later

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 3:33 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I'm not talking about losing them, I'm talking about moving them. Just like we did with the Rossen House, just like we did with the house now in Roosevelt that I can't think of the name of off hand.
Quote:
Designed in 1894 by Phoenix architect A. P. Petit, the Rosson House is an outstanding example of a Victorian architectural style named after Charles Eastlake. The House was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. Contrary to what most people think, the home was not moved from another location but stands today where it was originally built.
http://www.rossonhousemuseum.org/ros...hitecture.html

Last edited by pbenjamin; May 21, 2010 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 3:34 PM
Skyriser

Compromise: Moved one of the old warehouses to the corner of the lot and cleared the north end of the 3 blocks, which visually flows the space into the front courtyard of the stupid police building.

Thanks Hoover!

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 4:22 PM
The Man

Quote:
On the block bounded by 7th, 8th, Washington & Jefferson Id like to see a 100 meter/yard copper clad obelisk commemorating Arizona's centennial.
I like the idea of a giant monument, but why an obelisk? Every city has a spike, no one ever understands it, and it always just comes across as weird. Let's do something creative and different that either makes sense or at least has some artistic value. How about a 100 yard (we aren't metric here) saguaro? Just stick some arms on the spike and call it a saguaro. That sounds like a terrible idea to me, but it's early, and it's definitely better than an obelisk.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 5:37 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Right i remembered the name of the Rosson house. Whats the name of the house they moved to the Roosevelt neighborhood, on like 4th ave or so about a year ago? Thats the one I cant think of the name of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwadswor View Post
I like the idea of a giant monument, but why an obelisk? Every city has a spike, no one ever understands it, and it always just comes across as weird. Let's do something creative and different that either makes sense or at least has some artistic value. How about a 100 yard (we aren't metric here) saguaro? Just stick some arms on the spike and call it a saguaro. That sounds like a terrible idea to me, but it's early, and it's definitely better than an obelisk.
A saguaro is far too literal to me and would come across as cheesy. Im pretty positive if we built a 100M/yard tall saguaro the art and design community Nationally would laugh their heads off at us.

I like obelisks because they're classic and simple, and the tall thin shape would balance out the horizontal shape of the capital building nicely, just like the Washington Monument does with the Capitol dome in DC. I've never heard of anyone being confused or not understanding an obelisk. The FLW one is Scottsdale is extremely popular and is a neighborhood landmark.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 6:29 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Right i remembered the name of the Rosson house.
The point is that the Rosson House was never moved.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 8:45 PM
them bones

The notion of 'moving' a 60-100yr old warehouse is laughable. It isn't like moving a house...not in any way.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
The notion of 'moving' a 60-100yr old warehouse is laughable. It isn't like moving a house...not in any way.
Oh ye of little faith. They moved the London Bridge which was much older and they moved it much further. There's an entire TV Show, "Mega Movers" about various large and old structures being moved. To imply that moving those buildings is some sort of engineering impossibility in 2010 is whats truly laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The point is that the Rosson House was never moved.
Sorry, Im a spaz, I missed that. I see your point now

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 11:15 PM
them bones

^Oh I didn't say it was impossible.

But consider the costs (capital and logistically) and wastefulness of doing so, for some relatively insignificant structures (those that you have mentioned)...

...and then compare said costs to building new 'faux' warehouses (or something similar) of the exact same size and style in the warehouse district...

...it's not even close.

In most of those types of buildings the only thing worth 'saving' are the trusses and maybe some of the brick if it's in good condition.

People rarely build buildings (except at a civic/philanthropic level) for any other reason than to make money. A private developer of any kind would never choose the type of endeavor you're discussing.

...and that's before we even get to the building code issues brought up with 'relocating' an existing commercial building...

...it's quite uncommon excepting houses and buildings of significance that need to be saved for 'historic' reasons...

Not EVERY building needs to be saved just because it's old.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 10:11 PM

The Morin House

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 5:49 PM
Skyriser

Hoover, I redid the map and fine tuned the parcels by specifying their heights. The average building height is about 140', the same as the Revenue Building give or take.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ei=oY...24784&t=h&z=16

I'm thinking the 250' sites would be spot-zoned for legalized gambling. It would make the area very interesting and start to help pay off about a billion dollars of public construction costs.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I'm thinking the 250' sites would be spot-zoned for legalized gambling. It would make the area very interesting and start to help pay off about a billion dollars of public construction costs.
I always thought AZ should have created a legalized gambling zone of say 100 sq. miles, on state lands to capture dollars lost to other states/countries that have legalized gaming operations.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
The Morin House
Yes, thank you! That was driving me a bit nutty.

Quote:
I'd still be a bit uncomfortable with 250' I think, just because I don't know if there's a need for it. Id like to see the Capitol Mall be more like DC/Paris than a high rise center. 150' or so I think would be better. 250' is about the height of Summit @ Copper square, that just seems crazy tall for the Capitol to me. Even 150' is about what the Luhrs building is I believe and you don't currently see much in the Capitol area thats that high.

Four to six, maybe eight stories seems whats prevalent in the Mall area and I think it would be fine to stick with that. You can get plenty of street vitality from those densities as long as there's more mixed use in future buildings.

As far as legalized gambling goes, Im all for gambling being legal everywhere but I can't see it realistically ever happening. Look at the shit fit people threw about having gambling on Indian Land in Glendale. And you know the Tribes would throw every ounce of power they have behind blocking it.

One thing I have wondered is; is Last Call time set by the state or by cities? Im pretty sure its by the State, but I was wondering if someone Phoenix could create a specially zone district that had a latter last call of 3 or 4AM. That seems like it could possibly give Downtown the boost/edge it would need to get things rolling nightlife wise.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 8:31 PM

I'm pretty sure it's by the state the governor not to long ago just signed a bill that would move the time from 10am to 6am, in terms of selling alcohol on Sundays. As far as I know all liquor stores close at 2. not sure about clubs and bars.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 8:34 PM
Skyriser

The Revenue department building is around 150' to the roof, contextually speaking. Its impact on the neighborhoods is limited, and as it stands I have height about that in the center of the site and sloping up to the east and west.

I sent it to a friendly representative in Capitol Mall and am anticipating his feedback.

As for gaming, I put almost all the 250' sites in the southwest, away from everything else. The Tohono O'Odham tribe is owed land and all tribes should benefit from this. It would be cool to see a portion of profits going to social services on the poorer tribes that have limited gaming in addition to help paying off construction costs of infrastructure, the park land, and government center.

For the government center in the west, I'm thinking of a glass pyramid about 200x400' at the base in a copper-clad exoskeleton, all supporting a massive obelisk sheathed in solar panels with room for an observation room/restaurant/lounge near the top. It would be about 750' to the pinnacle in alignment with the Carnegie Library.

Last edited by combusean; May 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
The Revenue department building is around 150' to the roof, contextually speaking. Its impact on the neighborhoods is limited, and as it stands I have height about that in the center of the site and sloping up to the east and west.
I'm less worried about neighborhood impact and just over zoning when there's a lack of need and creating more frozen lots. We can't zone down some of the high rise zoned lots in downtown and they haven't been filled in 40 years, so I just don't want to do that again. If I thought we had leaders capable of luring big firms that would need big buildings, maybe I'd go for it, but I dont see that happening.

I'd like to see the focus on high rise development on the Van Buren corridor where we could see 500'+ towers go.

Quote:
As for gaming, I put almost all the 250' sites in the southwest, away from everything else. The Tohono O'Odham tribe is owed land and all tribes should benefit from this. It would be cool to see a portion of profits going to social services on the poorer tribes that have limited gaming in addition to help paying off construction costs of infrastructure, the park land, and government center.
I just don't see it happening. People freaked when Mayor Gordon suggested allowing Slot Machines in the airport if you'll recall. If Phoenix was going to try to give/swamp land with the Tohono O'Odham so they could build some kind of gaming centers in the City Id rather see it in the Southern Edge of the warehouse district to create a really interesting entertainment center down there.

I wonder how big the footprint of FLW's old design for the State Capitol in Papago Park is:

could it fit here if you knocked down the current heinous executive tower?:

I'm thinking it looks like the 'wings' on FLWs design would jut out too far. Though I suppose they could bridge over Adams and Jefferson and with a knock down of a couple of other gross old buildings be kept how that rendering shows.

EDIT: This site says Wrights "Oasis" design was 212,000 square feet and according to Google Maps that parcel is over 600K Sq feet so perhaps it could fit there. Of course "Oasis" was designed to be in Papago Park (an idea Ive never liked) and moving it to another location is sort of anti-Wrightish, but it is a lovely building and would create room for new House, Senate and Executive spaces.

DOUBLE EDIT: A Harvard Grad student made this neat 3D animation of FLWs Oasis design thats worth checking out:
http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york/e...dent-animation

TRIPLE EDIT: (thats right, Im going for a record!) I've always wondered, where do the Representatives from places like Tucson or Snowflake stay while the legislature is in session? Do they all have to rent homes somewhere in the Phoenix area? I doubt many of them actually live near the Capitol in those 'hoods considering their current state. It seems like the Capitol area would be well served be one of those Extended Stay Hotels.

Last edited by HooverDam; May 25, 2010 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 11:28 PM
Skyriser

^ Not sure, but one state legislature was my contact's roommate during the legislative session.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 12:01 AM
Skyriser

First off, I like a lot of your ideas. But i don't think it's an either or for these concepts. It could be a when for both.

Quote:
I'm less worried about neighborhood impact and just over zoning when there's a lack of need and creating more frozen lots.
Impact to the neighborhoods should be considered first. I still stand by the fact that the revenue building isn't that bad as far as massing and height go. But it's still ugly and I'd rather see it blocked by better looking, taller buildings in the context of a larger plan.

Quote:
We can't zone down some of the high rise zoned lots in downtown and they haven't been filled in 40 years, so I just don't want to do that again. If I thought we had leaders capable of luring big firms that would need big buildings, maybe I'd go for it, but I dont see that happening.
I totally get what you're coming from.

But I wouldn't just knock down the buildings that are there and zone them to rot as has been the history to the east. Almost everything is publically owned and state connected, and the state is broke. A comprehensive plan with the right support (TIF district, gaming district, state legislative action) would get the buildings built. If developers can't send to the development corporation RFP's that work and are financed, nothing happens on the lot.

My thinking is a renewed capitol building to the west, the new green, light rail, a stadium/other sort of destination type site would create its own draw, and then gaming would just be the icing on the cake.

I would start small: build the shorter stuff first. Since those buildings are cheap and lead well to affordable housing, I'd provide matching bonds at low interest to start. I'd condemn the 7th Avenue block make that the initial gateway into the site.

After Adams has established itself, just work up the building heights providing the incentive of free land alongside an affordability requirement. The focus is to keep building the TIF fund. Building this block by block means that that the zoning is the final say on height, not the market. At some point or another, probably 10 - 20 years after dirt starts turning on the lots and westward light rail, developers should be throwing money at the corporation to build stuff down there, especially with gaming.

Quote:
I'd like to see the focus on high rise development on the Van Buren corridor where we could see 500'+ towers go.
West Washington with all the Capitol Mall stuff around it will have upward pressures on height, probably more so than West Van Buren. Both will come in time.

Quote:
I just don't see it happening. People freaked when Mayor Gordon suggested allowing Slot Machines in the airport if you'll recall.
For one, the State has the final say, which is nice. It doesn't take much to sell them out.

Quote:
If Phoenix was going to try to give/swamp land with the Tohono O'Odham so they could build some kind of gaming centers in the City Id rather see it in the Southern Edge of the warehouse district to create a really interesting entertainment center down there.
Where at in the warehouse district?

Gaming hotels are generally pedestrian unfriendly and demand as much as possible in height and lot size. I'm thinking West Madison would basically be a mini Strip. It certainly doesn't preclude gaming outside of the district in the warehouse area, although I would have reservations about the kind of concept lots you're talking about.

As for Wright's plan, I like it. But for the record, if Phoenix were to build a monumental type structure, this is one of the few sites that ultimately work best.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Where at in the warehouse district?
Not sure, hadn't really thought of that. Maybe the lot bounded by Buchanan, 4th st, 5th st and Lincoln. The lot bounded by Central, the tracks, 1st Ave and Buchanan. The lot bounded by Lincoln, Grant, 3rd St and 4th St, etc. any big surface lot.

My concern would be again be teardowns. Though I suppose if you weren't just legalizing gambling but rather trading a reservation specific parcels it wouldn't be too much of a concern.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 10:28 PM
Skyriser

^ Those are good lots for a variety of projects. I would favor the one on Central and Buchanan myself.

I spoke with my contact in Capitol Mall. He was extremely receptive to my plan and didn't consider the heights problematic at all. He liked it much better than the ASU/Will Bruder version which died with the real estate market/economy some time ago.

http://sala.asu.edu/purl/projects/capitol.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest