HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
right, but what i'm asking is how does global warming result in this drought, does the excess carbon in the air make it hard for the clouds to form/ rain to fall?
I'm not a meteorologist - I just understand basic meteorology like I just stated. But I could ask a friend of mine who is actually a meteorologist if you'd like.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 7:30 PM

Although I don't have any evidence other than anecdotal, I would humbly suggest that the young millennials moving downtown are slightly less likely to abandon the city for the burbs... reference car ownership, bike ownership, etc.... compared with their parents

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 7:35 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I have a number of friends who grew up in the suburbs, moved to the City and are REFUSING to leave the City because they just don't want to, as singles or couples. At the same time, I probably have an equal number of friends that grew up in the suburbs, moved to the City and are going back to the suburbs because they just want something different, 'quieter' as they get older and as they start having kids. The nice thing about Chicago is that you have options to do either. The question remains, how can staying in the City remain the better of the two options, for a larger variety of people?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I have a number of friends who grew up in the suburbs, moved to the City and are REFUSING to leave the City because they just don't want to, as singles or couples. At the same time, I probably have an equal number of friends that grew up in the suburbs, moved to the City and are going back to the suburbs because they just want something different, 'quieter' as they get older and as they start having kids. The nice thing about Chicago is that you have options to do either. The question remains, how can staying in the City remain the better of the two options, for a larger variety of people?
wanting somewhere quieter is natural as you get older. all those nightlife districts that are appealing when youre 22 start to look more like an annoyance when you're 35 or 40. having the space to grow a garden/work on projects/allow kids to run around and play starts to look more appealing than trendy restaurants and bars (which are are catering to a demographic that you are no longer a part of, not to mention you no longer have the time or disposable income to frequent them anyway). and if you arent taking advantage of all those things, why be in the city?

if there is any hope of keeping people though, fixing the schools and crime is the only ways forward. schools especially. and beyond that, building more affordable housing in desirable areas. everything we've gotten in recent years is luxury. well, most everyday people arent part of a luxury demographic. the suburbs are affordable to the masses and cater to car ownership which like it or not, is still the predominant way most people structure their lives. the city core is affordable to a select few. certainly if you need space for kids and have abandoned the micro bachelor pad, it starts to become a no brainier.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 7:49 PM

^ Chicago has NUMEROUS quiet areas, even a half mile from the nightlife zones. And as we all know, further away as well. Compare to somewhere like Manhattan, and it's not even close to the level of activity over much of the city.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Chicago has NUMEROUS quiet areas, even a half mile from the nightlife zones. And as we all know, further away as well. Compare to somewhere like Manhattan, and it's not even close to the level of activity over much of the city.
Yes, it does. But zeroing in on Manhattan is disingenuous anyway...those people are going to Jersey or Queens.

but if youre a young couple with a kid on the way, whats the incentive to buy a house in Logan now that all your friends are also moving away? you could just as easily buy a nicer place for less money in Berwyn or Forest Park and still be close to the city for work and occasional trips in.

if you have the money to afford Chicago real estate and good private schools, than this probably dosent matter to you anyway. Lincoln Square/Andersonville etc are no longer the bargains they once were for middle class homeowners

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jul 31, 2015 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
but if youre a young couple with a kid on the way, whats the incentive to buy a house in Logan now that all your friends are also moving away? you could just as easily buy a nicer place for less money in Berwyn or Forest Park and still be close to the city for work and occasional trips in.
On the plus side, at least anecdotally, interest in the inner ring suburbs seems a lot stronger in the last decade. Of the people that I know who've moved out due to having children all decamped for suburbs like Oak Park, Berwyn, Evanston, Skokie, and Forrest Park/River Forrest. A two hour commute each way from the far out burbs or xurbs is very unappealing.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, it does. But zeroing in on Manhattan is disingenuous anyway...those people are going to Jersey or Queens.

if you have the money to afford Chicago real estate and good private schools, than this probably dosent matter to you anyway. Lincoln Square/Andersonville etc are no longer the bargains they once were for middle class homeowners
I blame it on the decline of the two bedroom apt..
The millenials are showing that they want to live close to the action, to transit, and close to work. They are willing to rent a unit sized closer to their minimum needs for more money if it fulfills the above desires.

But those requirements don't change when you're spawning.

25 years of condo development wisdom said it's gotta be three beds or you cant sell.

Now, it's about rentals where the wisdom says that you get more per foot for 1brs.

Housing in the trendy neighborhoods is splitting into studios and McMansions.

The economics of the suburbs become more attractive when you are faced with a big jump in cost to stay where you are at.

The developers come around asking for millions of dollars in zoning relief, but mention a couple of two br units and you'd think you were pulling teeth.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
On the plus side, at least anecdotally, interest in the inner ring suburbs seems a lot stronger in the last decade. Of the people that I know who've moved out due to having children all decamped for suburbs like Oak Park, Berwyn, Evanston, Skokie, and Forrest Park/River Forrest. A two hour commute each way from the far out burbs or xurbs is very unappealing.
the ironic part is, its been my experience these people will stay in Berwyn etc for a few years until the kids start to get close to middle school age, and then theyre back on the house hunt. its usually at that point they make the jump to naperville or wherever for the schools (unless the parents are doing parochial)

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 8:30 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
right, but what i'm asking is how does global warming result in this drought, does the excess carbon in the air make it hard for the clouds to form/ rain to fall?
My understanding is that because of the rate at which land heats and cools compared to large bodies of water, the daytime temperature differential between the water and the land is greater so as air moves from over the water of the ocean to the warmer land it can absorb more of whatever rain did fall, and hold more of it until it hits the next body of (cooler) water, or mountains high enough to force precipitation. So the air over land ends up warmer, which causes the air to pick up more moisture which the air continues to hold until it hits an area of great enough lower temperature to force precipitation. So on average it picks up more water over land and dumps more water over the proportionally lower-temperature large bodies of water (oceans).

I'm sure there are other reasons, too, but that's my understanding of one of the main drivers.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 8:51 PM
The City

Quote:
wanting somewhere quieter is natural as you get older. all those nightlife districts that are appealing when youre 22 start to look more like an annoyance when you're 35 or 40. having the space to grow a garden/work on projects/allow kids to run around and play starts to look more appealing than trendy restaurants and bars (which are are catering to a demographic that you are no longer a part of, not to mention you no longer have the time or disposable income to frequent them anyway). and if you arent taking advantage of all those things, why be in the city?

if there is any hope of keeping people though, fixing the schools and crime is the only ways forward. schools especially. and beyond that, building more affordable housing in desirable areas. everything we've gotten in recent years is luxury. well, most everyday people arent part of a luxury demographic. the suburbs are affordable to the masses and cater to car ownership which like it or not, is still the predominant way most people structure their lives. the city core is affordable to a select few. certainly if you need space for kids and have abandoned the micro bachelor pad, it starts to become a no brainier.
This.

Basically, most of the people commenting on these forums are conversing in an echo chamber where everybody is without children, or has very young preschool age children. I know there are a few exceptions out there (Steely Dan), but the overall inertia is towards the burbs once your kids get close to school age.

For every anecdote I hear about families "staying in" the city I can point out at least 2 in my town of young families that used to live in the city but moved out to the burbs. Heck, a family who just moved to my neighborhood has a boy who plays with my sons, and they used to live in Lakeview.

I have observed this, but interestingly I actually STILL love city life more than suburban life. I like bars and nightclubs, fine restaurants, etc. I miss that lifestyle. Sorry, but I don't know why I have to be told that I've outgrown it--I will never outgrow my desire to live that way. But I also love (actually, worship) my kids and family, and city life just isn't an option for me right now for many reasons. I'm betting that, quietly, there are a lot of suburban parents who may feel the same way I do but won't admit it.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I have observed this, but interestingly I actually STILL love city life more than suburban life. I like bars and nightclubs, fine restaurants, etc. I miss that lifestyle. Sorry, but I don't know why I have to be told that I've outgrown it--I will never outgrow my desire to live that way. But I also love (actually, worship) my kids and family, and city life just isn't an option for me right now for many reasons. I'm betting that, quietly, there are a lot of suburban parents who may feel the same way I do but won't admit it.
i wouldnt say theres a one size fits all solution, just the general trend ive observed. i think cities can be a great place to age too, as it keeps your social network nearby which is critical to maintaining physical and mental health as you get older. plus having everyday necessities an easy walk away, which allows for someone to maintain their independence even if they've given up the car.

personally, i love the outdoors and while ive been in chicago for 30 years i yearn for the ability to have hiking and wilderness a short trip away. thats starting to look a lot more compelling to me as opposed to nightlife and hearing a red line train rumbling by every 2-3 minutes. but im also still here

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 9:17 PM

As for anecdotal millennial stuff, someone I know from Michigan who moved here for work just moved from one Loop apartment to another. Here's his building's rooftop view:

What an angle.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 9:32 PM

^Whoa. Very cool.

Fullerton lake shore expansion today.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
As for anecdotal millennial stuff, someone I know from Michigan who moved here for work just moved from one Loop apartment to another. Here's his building's rooftop view:

What an angle.
What is that? The backside of the Carbide and Carbon building?

Nice view, He has an example of every stage of down town development right outside his window. You could teach a class from there.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Building affordable housing in desirable areas overall just makes the area less desirable for those who wish to pay such a premium in the first place. Its just the way it is. Totally agree with the second part of your post.

What we need to do rather than build affordable housing in desirable areas, is make the currently affordable areas more desirable by building infrastructure and such like El tracks, better bus routes, bike lanes, street retail and things that make getting around town a lot easier and more convenient. There is plenty of affordable housing in this city at the moment, its just not desirable to live there, if you catch my drift.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 10:33 PM

In case anyone is wondering why the micro apartments on California avenue haven't started construction yet, this is why.

Developer Wants to Double Logan Square 'Micro Apartment' Project
Quote:
By Paul Biasco | July 31, 2015 4:49pm
LOGAN SQUARE — The team behind a controversial "micro apartment" development proposed for Logan Square has requested to expand the already-approved project from 52 to 135 apartment units.

The original plan to build 52 units in the transit-oriented-development project was approved by the city's Plan Commission in March.

Savoy Development's project at 2328 N. California Ave. is now seeking to up the project from 52 units to 135 apartments, a 160 percent increase, according to a letter from the Greater Goethe Neighborhood Association. The developer requested to expand the project during a meeting with the neighborhood group's zoning and planning committee on July 13.

The new request would increase the height of the project from five stories to six stories, include retail on the ground floor and 48 parking spaces and add a small "pocket park."....
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...rtment-project

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 10:47 PM
The City

^ Hell yes!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
the ironic part is, its been my experience these people will stay in Berwyn etc for a few years until the kids start to get close to middle school age, and then theyre back on the house hunt. its usually at that point they make the jump to naperville or wherever for the schools (unless the parents are doing parochial)
In the group that I know none of them have relocated again as their kids started to go to school, mix of public and parochial. To some people the distant burbs will always have some attraction but I think it's probably to a lesser extent the under 40 set who lived in the city these days.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 1:34 AM

its good to hear some people are putting down roots. i enjoyed growing up there. tons of kids everywhere at that time...most of us on our block would just get together in the morning and not come back until sundown

while my parents still live there, their neighbors with kids in recent years have been quick to uproot. they've been through 3 different very nice families as neighbors, who all moved later b/c of schools. the grade schools are decent, but a lot move around high school....still a lot of parents who dont want their kids at Morton

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development