HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Has there still not been any official freaking render of this tower yet?
are you confusing this tower for 225 West 57th St? Because there's been several renderings out for this tower for at least a year

here's the most recent (and imo the best)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 7:51 PM

Edit: Hudson beat me to it, with a larger and more revealing rendering. This could be a very nice tower when it's all said and done.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 8:02 PM

went back to the site where that rendering is from and found this

http://newconstructionmanhattan.com/...32-park-avenue

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 8:08 PM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ Dominates every single building around it. The best thing about it is that it too will also be dominated by a few other towers in the future. NYC is rising up once again.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 9:09 PM
don't *meddle*...

The transformation of New York's skyline will be epic. 432 PA is just the beginning of a new era.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 9:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
The renderings only get better. Resized my favorite parts...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
The transformation of New York's skyline will be epic. 432 PA is just the beginning of a new era.
Well, it will be as long as the foreign investors are interested in pumping money into ny. It appears to me that they are the source that is fueling these luxury towers.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 12:51 AM
Ex Houstonian

I cant believe that this tower is so freaking tall, hell its almost 400' taller than our tallest here in Houston and its residential. That just blows my mind.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesian View Post
I've wondered what this tower is actually going to LOOK like, and now seeing the first white concrete going in, may I hope that this will be that rare piece of architecture we minimalists have been hoping for. Don't get me wrong, I like all styles mixed together in a city--let a thousand flowers bloom. But, could this be a major building where the WAY it is built and the way it LOOKS merge into a unified aesthetic statement. We've become so used to seeing the same basic structure with a variety of "applied decoration". Will this break the mold? Hope so!
Brilliant perspective.

miesian: 1
Haters: 0

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 4:33 AM
Mr. Technology

It's so satisfying to see others also appreciate this tower as much as I do.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 10:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Well, it will be as long as the foreign investors are interested in pumping money into ny. It appears to me that they are the source that is fueling these luxury towers.
There would be a major transformation of the skyline even without the supertall residential towers. But it remains to be seen if this tower will be on the level of One57 in terms of foreign investors, though New York is always attractive to foreign investors one way or another. One thing about it, this tower will command attention once it begins soaring above everything else in the area.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 5:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
went back to the site where that rendering is from and found this

http://newconstructionmanhattan.com/...32-park-avenue
This tower is completely lacking in imagination. It's almost an ironic mockery of the modernist style taken to ridiculous proportions. It completely destroys the integrity of the midtown skyline from a south-looking perspective. It belongs in a dystopian film about a sterile bureaucratic functionalist society utterly lacking in sentimentality and culture. At the very least, it speaks to the modern obsession with remixing old ideas with sarcastic laziness and obligatory disinterest. Awful in every way.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 5:50 AM

I can't wait until this is up!!! And it shouldn't be long by the looks of it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 1:24 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysium View Post
This tower is completely lacking in imagination. It's almost an ironic mockery of the modernist style taken to ridiculous proportions. It completely destroys the integrity of the midtown skyline from a south-looking perspective. It belongs in a dystopian film about a sterile bureaucratic functionalist society utterly lacking in sentimentality and culture. At the very least, it speaks to the modern obsession with remixing old ideas with sarcastic laziness and obligatory disinterest. Awful in every way.
It won't destroy the Midtown skyline because other supertall towers will join the club pretty soon (One57, 225 W 57th St etc, North Tower etc).

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 2:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 8:11 PM

Again people seem to have forgotten that we did have boxes for one point as skyscrapers, and they were the tallest in the city.

Just having a box as a design doesn't mean that it will look bad. We have to see how it blends in before we can say it looks bad.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Again people seem to have forgotten that we did have boxes for one point as skyscrapers, and they were the tallest in the city.

Just having a box as a design doesn't mean that it will look bad. We have to see how it blends in before we can say it looks bad.
I know, and those were some of the towers I was referencing. I was never a fan of the design of the original world trade center, but at least it was a product of its era. This new tower is, as I said, an ironic mimicry of a style that has since fallen into disuse (rightfully) for its oppressive austerity. It's not inventive, it's not even new; it is, at best, a nostalgic repurposing of a form no one ever thought they'd see again, which is precisely why this tower exists... to defy expectations. That's easy. Inventing new forms isn't.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 9:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
This new tower is, as I said, an ironic mimicry of a style that has since fallen into disuse (rightfully) for its oppressive austerity. It's not inventive, it's not even new; it is, at best, a nostalgic repurposing of a form no one ever thought they'd see again, which is precisely why this tower exists... to defy expectations. That's easy. Inventing new forms isn't.
There's a lot of detail still to be seen with this building. I say we need to get a couple of hundred feet up before we get a true feel for it, but there are some who will never like it. But I do like as you say, that it is a style unlike any other currently. With so much going up in Manhattan, and so many people complaining about "boring, blue glass boxes", this has the promise of something different. As I said, a lot of people won't like it, but I think there's a way to go before opinions are cemented.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 9:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I know, and those were some of the towers I was referencing. I was never a fan of the design of the original world trade center, but at least it was a product of its era. This new tower is, as I said, an ironic mimicry of a style that has since fallen into disuse (rightfully) for its oppressive austerity. It's not inventive, it's not even new; it is, at best, a nostalgic repurposing of a form no one ever thought they'd see again, which is precisely why this tower exists... to defy expectations. That's easy. Inventing new forms isn't.
I think this tower will look nicer than those towers from the past.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 10:09 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
^ As the few comments above me, it's not that the building is bad IT JUST DOESN'T BELONG HERE. This building will be the first building to officially be taller than the ESB in Midtown (forget the WTC in DT). The ESB has been the tallest building in Midtown since 1931, I'll repeat 1931. 81 YEARS King of NYC. This will top the ESB. So we needed an awesome design here, and got shit SHIT! That's the "ONE THING" that you people aren't liking about this building, and you're NOT alone I hate this building (only because of the implications involved, as stated above).
Quote:
^ As I've said many times before, I've wanted Mr. Vinoly to do a Shard-like design with 4+ diagonal points (lines) tapering to meet at one point 1400 feet in the air. Infact I made a design and sent it to Raphael Vinoly, but he representatives responded by saying that foundation work has already begun. (I got the email last month).
Quote:
Nobody hates boxes my friend. We hate boxes that are done wrong! But this site, 432 Park Ave SHOULD NOT, be a box. Think about it, this WILL eclipse the EMPIRE STATE BUILDING, and the first in Midtown (not Down) to do so. We we expecting and expected a design for the AGES and got a dull box that you could find at any street corner in Manhattan, except taller and duller. I love boxes (when done right), but this site was NOT the place or the time for a box. But I guarantee you it'll be an AMAZING feat of engineering.

Quote:
While inventing new forms isn't easy, copy a current form that's still in style. I've been saying for a YEAR that a Shard-style building should've gone on this site. I've gone to the point of sending Raphael Vinoly blueprints of a Shard style building that I designed. I've tried to get meetings with him, and even a conversation with him. His office always picks up, and states he's not available. But we should've gotten something really good, since this will be the first building to surpass the Empire State Building's 81 year reign as king of Midtown. People who hate this building DON'T hate boxes as many have attacked me of doing. There should've been a good design here. BUT the material used in this building should be good, because it's a billion dollar building with an insignificant form.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive