HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 10:44 PM

Exclamation Which Tower are we talking about

I am so confused - is the conversation about Tower 2 or 3? The thread is for 2 but there is discussion and pictures of 3 and the cross braces, etc.

Please clarify.

I'd like to know which tower is getting redesigned....2 or 3?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 11:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

Tower 2. As for the 3rd, no worries, thats good to go.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Bjarke Ingels: Architecture should be more like Minecraft

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 8:39 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
mmm... remember when he didn't want to build higher than 70 stories/900 feet?

Obviously that changed for the better but still. I'm guessing they'll keep the spiral effect so I don't really see this tower being under 1200' which is good but we'll see, the whole Ingles thing freaks me out though.

I guess I remain really really cautiously optimistic.
Upon first reading about the re-design I was skeptical. After hearing it's going to be from Bjarke Ingels I'm really optimistic though. Here's a building he designed in my hometown of Calgary, Canada.

Telus Sky:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1643414

http://www.dezeen.com/2015/02/16/big...breaks-ground/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 9:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

He's a good architect in general. Thats why I'm not necessarily worried if they chose to redesign. Even Robert Stern would be a good choice. But glad the candidate is top-quality.

He did design Park Grove in Miami which is topped out, and looking really nice.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 12:54 AM
DENNAB

Telus sky is a cool building but something like that would look out of place at the WTC site (I'm not saying it would look the exact same but might have some similarities).

Since the foundation is already there I don't even see the point in designing it again, it's a waste of time and money. The tenants can work fine in with the current design.

The old design of 2WTC was perfect and doesn't need to be changed.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 2:18 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
He's a good architect in general. Thats why I'm not necessarily worried if they chose to redesign. Even Robert Stern would be a good choice. But glad the candidate is top-quality.

He did design Park Grove in Miami which is topped out, and looking really nice.
Eh.. they look okay in my opinion. Nowhere near as cool as 2WTC.

I'm still at a loss why they would spend money to scrap the coolest design at the site for something (probably) crappier. Aren't they just shooting themselves in the foot?

I would really like to know why the tenants can't just occupy the current building, someone care to explain?

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 9:17 PM

His work seems interesting. I don't get why they would redesign it since the base is already done. Maybe they'll just take the design and update it a bit using what's already there.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 12:11 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
His work seems interesting. I don't get why they would redesign it since the base is already done. Maybe they'll just take the design and update it a bit using what's already there.

I don't know, I really am at a loss too, I think they're honestly just retarded. It seems that at the WTC site whatever can go wrong will. This is the coolest of the four buildings so of course they would choose this one to bastardize.

There is no reason to my knowledge why any potential tenant can't occupy the building as is. Like I said before, Ingles has interesting work, but certainly not suitable for the WTC site. Foster's design absolutely was.

It's unclear as to how much they'll change though, if they just change the base that's fine, as long as 2WTC more or less ends up looking like 2WTC on the skyline.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 12:33 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The lack of tenants which could fill a tower designed for financing/banking tend to be drawn to the new towers in Midtown, especially the West Side. There's stiff competition to land one. I would imagine Larry wants to see this built already, and is more of a rush tactic versus waiting for a financing tenant which could use the current floor plates as is.

Shame the JpMorgan proposition didn't go through.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 12:41 AM

Such a bummer reading about the redesign. The tower was so simple, geometric, and iconic. It was by far my favorite.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 1:49 AM

The only redesign I'd be happy with is if they built another version of 1 WTC without the spire in its place, making another "twin towers" with the new WTC. Since that would involve ripping out the current foundation and rethinking the PAC, I doubt it would ever come to fruition.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 12:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Keep this discussion on tower 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
The tenants can work fine in with the current design.
Then why do you think they would be going through with the trouble of redesigning at all? The tenants know what they're space needs are, and if it doesn't work here, they will go elsewhere. Silverstein would be a fool if he could build the tower now, but decided to wait instead for something he hasn't found in 10 years, just for the sake of keeping the same design.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Then why do you think they would be going through with the trouble of redesigning at all? The tenants know what they're space needs are, and if it doesn't work here, they will go elsewhere. Silverstein would be a fool if he could build the tower now, but decided to wait instead for something he hasn't found in 10 years, just for the sake of keeping the same design.
I'm actually interested to see what design they come up with. We might all like the new design.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 2:48 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/featur...ck-s-moon-shot

Big and Weird: The Architectural Genius of Bjarke Ingels and Thomas Heatherwick

May 7, 2015
by Brad Stone

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 10:11 PM

I mean, is it even confirmed that this will be undergoing a dramatic redesign aside from the base? Let's not jump to conclusions just yet..

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 10:44 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
I mean, is it even confirmed that this will be undergoing a dramatic redesign aside from the base? Let's not jump to conclusions just yet..
I'm confused about that, I didn't think so.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 2:56 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

What kind of "space needs" are we talking about though? Size? Dimensions per floor?

I really want to know why they can't just occupy the building as is, the floor plates are huge and the office space class A. I agree Silverstein should just get the building built but if it's not going to be up to standards then I disagree. I'd honestly rather have nothing built here for 10 years than some unworthy building (even if Silverstein isn't alive anymore).

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 9:30 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its due to the nature of the tenants needs, which in this case is media related work as opposed to banking. Often media doesn't require the floors to be set up in a certain way like they are with WTC2 which was designed to house financing related industries.

The specific sizes and dimensions of each floor will be up to the architect. Foundation is already in place.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 2:22 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Its due to the nature of the tenants needs, which in this case is media related work as opposed to banking. Often media doesn't require the floors to be set up in a certain way like they are with WTC2 which was designed to house financing related industries.

The specific sizes and dimensions of each floor will be up to the architect. Foundation is already in place.
That explains it much better, thanks! So basically there will likely be less overall floorspace and the building will probably taper to have smaller floors?

I now picture a shorter/more tapered building... two things I don't want in this tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction