HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
The blue rubber color seemed a bit odd to me too. Not sure why they didn't just go with a grey color to blend in.

As for the yellow dash, I think it's permanent. MUTCD likely has some language somewhere about dashed yellow lines being the accepted safety standard for this environment, and if they don't follow that the government will just be inviting a lawsuit the first time there is a bike crash.
The blue rubber reminds me of the platform edges on the CTA.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 6:30 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Honestly, this was the single biggest letdown of the project for me. They had 2.7 miles of a great vintage alley with brick cobblestone paving, and they covered it over with asphalt. I know it's not part of the trail, but it would have been an AWESOME low-cost way to brand the area, since everyone who comes to the trail will see Bloomingdale Ave first. Just sweep some new sand into the paver joints and re-set some of the larger sunken areas, and you're good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I find it surprising they did so, since permeable alleys were actually somewhat of an initiative under Daley. Not to mention a large component of this project in particular was honoring the industrial past. This is what I was getting at upthread when I said I wished they had kept things a little more raw (in a good way)

The preserved alleys in Lakewood/Balmoral neighborhood are magical because of this
That is disappointing. I love the visual look of brick roadways. I really wish some of the streets in River North had been kept as brick - it would add even more character as it fills in with modern buildings now.

When I moved into my vintage River North home, the alley behind us was paved in wood block, which was paved over about 18 months after I moved in. That was even cooler than brick.

That said, bikes are a big part of the plan, and biking on brick isn't really ideal unless it's fairly new and well-maintained.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
That is disappointing. I love the visual look of brick roadways. I really wish some of the streets in River North had been kept as brick - it would add even more character as it fills in with modern buildings now.

When I moved into my vintage River North home, the alley behind us was paved in wood block, which was paved over about 18 months after I moved in. That was even cooler than brick.

That said, bikes are a big part of the plan, and biking on brick isn't really ideal unless it's fairly new and well-maintained.
There is still a wood block alley in Gold Coast that was restored just a few years ago.

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2011/...-restored.html

While biking on brick isn't ideal, from a certain point of view a rougher paving pattern would go a long ways to slowing down cyclists and discouraging some of the more aggressive high-speed riding that conflicts with the recreational use of the space.

I'm surprised that the 606 designers don't have more things in the plan to slow down bikes. I would imagine bikes can haul ass down the 606 when activity is low, making it a little uncomfortable for joggers and peds.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 7:06 PM
BANNED

^I was just going to say.. It's even labeled in Google Maps as "Wooden Alley." Pretty cool stuff.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9103...3A!2e0!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 7:56 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ry.html#page=1

Ald. Scott Waguespack, 32nd, said he has been monitoring new residential projects within a few blocks of The 606 route to make sure developers don't try to put up large buildings to take advantage of the proximity.

"The thing we're keeping an eye on is the density," he said. "We want to make sure through the community zoning process that we don't end up with a bunch of huge towers near the trail, and we've done a good job so far."

What is this guy on? He should be encouraging large development near this public asset.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ry.html#page=1

Ald. Scott Waguespack, 32nd, said he has been monitoring new residential projects within a few blocks of The 606 route to make sure developers don't try to put up large buildings to take advantage of the proximity.

"The thing we're keeping an eye on is the density," he said. "We want to make sure through the community zoning process that we don't end up with a bunch of huge towers near the trail, and we've done a good job so far."

What is this guy on? He should be encouraging large development near this public asset.
But a giant suburban hellhole at Damen/Fullerton/Elston is A-OK! What a buffoon.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:26 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
shadowsonvonellis;7054948]http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ry.html#page=1

I agree with you of course and not him in principle but this is one of the rare exceptions that I think it be wise to really be concerned about shadow effects. and to be careful not to allow buildings that will cast shadows e on the trail. But yeah otherwise there should be plenty of growth allowed so that as many people within reason can enjoy the trail as possible.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Jun 8, 2015 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:26 PM

I commend you all for rationally and calmly responding to Tom's outrageous posts. If I didn't already know his style, I would say he's trolling.

Couple of thoughts:

1. I knew the High-Line comparisons were an absolute disaster from the very start. Apples and Oranges.
2. The trail is not even close to done. Congrats to all for getting it open on the 6th, but it has a Looooong way to go. Plenty of temporary fencing up, temporary signage (i.e. street signs at every bridge), and most importantly temporary wood rails.
3. Despite #2 above, my already incredibly high expectations were exceeded. This is a gem of a trail for Chicago. Well done. Kudos to the small group of individuals who have been working for this for over 13 years.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:31 PM

Thoughts?
Adding on to Willis Tower - Crains

Quote:
Among changes in the works are a likely low-rise extension of the building into the south plaza, according to the brokers who will take over leasing for Blackstone. Although exact plans for the plaza are unclear, it likely will include adding a new structure in the plaza that could include some combination of food, retail and entertainment, the brokers said.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:55 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Thoughts?
Adding on to Willis Tower - Crains
Ugh. Bring back that curvy side-tower design from a few years back. The LAST thing the Willis Tower needs is some tacky entertainment-only add-on. A hotel that includes some additional restaurants, sure. But the way Crains described what they want to do now just sounds way tacky.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Honestly, I don't think you read more than one or two replies on this because most people, including myself, were saying the same exact thing as you. So..just saying...you might want to re-read what people not named Tom Servo were saying.
I was not replying to you at all.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I agree with you of course and not him in principle but this is one of the rare exceptions that I think it be wise to really be concerned about shadow effects. and to be careful not to allow buildings that will cast shadows e on the trail. But yeah otherwise there should be plenty of growth allowed so that as many people within reason can enjoy the trail as possible.
There are large towers in very close proximity to the lakefront trail. There are large towers literally above the High-Line. Both are very nice places to be during all hours of the day. I'm afraid I don't see your point when it comes to scary shadows.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:36 PM

It's been exciting to see a lot of these large-scale developments unfold in the city in the past six months or so. We've had Maggie Daley, parts of the river walk, and now the 606, and Northerly Island coming up soon – the one I'm still curious about is the big 'lighting plan' the city issued an RFP for a year or so ago, meant to unify the major tourism corridors of the city's center.

Has anyone heard more about that?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:46 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yeah, but I'm talking about Bloomingdale Avenue, not the trail. It's basically an alley... Bloomingdale Avenue is discontinuous and switches sides from the north to the south of the viaduct, so it's not ideal for biking except for one or two blocks as a shortcut.

Even if biking was a concern (eg at access ramps), they could have poured a narrow ribbon of concrete for bike tires.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:19 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
There are large towers in very close proximity to the lakefront trail. There are large towers literally above the High-Line. Both are very nice places to be during all hours of the day. I'm afraid I don't see your point when it comes to scary shadows.
I don't really think its much worth arguing the point. Giving that it is an east/west trail the fact is that shadows really shouldn't be a problem anyway. I don't imagine a string of 10-12 floor buildings lining up right along the trail that would make it an issue no matter how popular the trail became.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:39 AM

I think the Bloomingdale Trail/606 serves it's purpose. It's meant to be practical, not flashy. My only grip with it has to do with the amount of weeds already all over the trail.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
My only grip with it has to do with the amount of weeds already all over the trail.
People really seem to be missing the point that most of the vegetation hasnt been planted yet

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
People really seem to be missing the point that most of the vegetation hasnt been planted yet
I got that the vegetation hasn't been planted yet, but they can't use some Weed-B-Gon in the interim?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:17 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
I got that the vegetation hasn't been planted yet, but they can't use some Weed-B-Gon in the interim?
Killing weeds is pretty damn hard.

I've had TruGreen on my lawn twice already and there are still lots of weeds lingering around

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Honestly, this was the single biggest letdown of the project for me. They had 2.7 miles of a great vintage alley with brick cobblestone paving, and they covered it over with asphalt. I know it's not part of the trail, but it would have been an AWESOME low-cost way to brand the area, since everyone who comes to the trail will see Bloomingdale Ave first. Just sweep some new sand into the paver joints and re-set some of the larger sunken areas, and you're good to go.

I agree with Tom on a lot of these points, I am sometimes frustrated by the Midwestern-ness of Chicago. Call me an elitist, whatever... The only time we get things that are truly world-class is when the private sector does it and pushes their designers for something bold. I can't believe they surveyed the neighborhood for these decisions. Have the government do something, and they try to make every little decision democratically. Recipe for mediocrity, most people will always choose what is most familiar to them, even if it's the same ubiquitous Home Depot crap in their own backyards.

I won't pass an overall judgment on the 606, which may have tremendous transportation value for those neighborhoods even if it fails as a work of landscape.
In danger of continuing to abuse the horse carcass, it's not just recent government work: Daley Civic Center, and Mies' Federal Center are both master works of architecture (both with Chicago designers) and a bold attempt was made (even if it has arguably failed spectacularly, certainly form a maintenance perspective) with the Thompson Center...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development