HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 10:50 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'd take a height reduction, so long as they don't touch the diamonds. That's the best part.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Not good news, thejacko5, who is with the industry, states:

-----------

My opinion is that the tower will be value engineered. I mean what else can we expect? Just take a look at what happened to 1 and 3WTC. 4WTC is already very minimalistic, so there was nothing to scratch.

So my guess for 2WTC:
1. cheaper looking cladding
2. redesign of the diamonds
3. height reduction (~1,250ft)

Otherwise the tower won't go off the ground.
That's too bad - the cladding and diamonds are what makes this tower so great.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 2:59 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I wonder if WTC2 has the same type of security designs that WTC1 has? I know that is what contributed to it being the most expensive tower ever built (And strongest too).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 3:39 PM
gettin' rich!

Is this tower being capped at ground level or are they moving forward?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 3:48 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Is this tower being capped at ground level or are they moving forward?
Working on subterranean features, but if no tenant is found, it will remain the height it is.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:39 PM
New Yorker for life

This tower is not going to rise until a tenant is found, or Silverstein otherwise gets financing, which won't happen until a tenant is found.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:49 PM

lf they remove the crowns it will take away the one think that make this a truly spectacular building. lts funny that when the designs came out people were deriding tower 4 for being too safe and too boring looking. When all is said and done it will be the only building that was designed and built as originally intended which l believe ended up exceeding expectations. l hope this is not the case but unfortunately time as passed and the general population wont even give a shit about this so they will get away with it. l pray that i'm just being a jaded new yorker.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfredo267 View Post
lts funny that when the designs came out people were deriding tower 4 for being too safe and too boring looking. When all is said and done it will be the only building that was designed and built as originally intended which l believe ended up exceeding expectations.
Really, I don't understand how the thought process works. We've got a total of two towers built.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:27 PM

Doesn't matter if two buildings are built so far. To me it still looks like there is a gaping hole between 4 and 1 everytime l walk down sixth avenue.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfredo267
Doesn't matter if two buildings are built so far. To me it still looks like there is a gaping hole between 4 and 1 everytime l walk down sixth avenue
there's always going to be a gap when viewing the WTC from the north.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:46 PM

Yeah l know its just that l think that 2 is the signature tower and it would be shame if they cut its height. l hope that doesn't happen.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:54 PM

it isn't the signature tower though, that's 1 WTC. It may be everyone's favorite tower, but that doesn't mean it's not subject to design changes. I doubt the height and design will be altered much because 2 WTC, like 1 WTC has symbolic features. The whole point of the sloped top and diamonds was to be a gesture towards the memorial below. It also would probably be difficult to alter the height without messing up the slope on top.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 7:47 PM

If two wtc is touched this site will be nothing more than a scar that not only Show the tragedy of 9/11 but how we couldnt mend the would. Stop value engineering such a symbolic site.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 8:17 PM

I highly doubt they'd change this tower. Your all fretting over something that probably won't happen.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 9:16 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'd take a height reduction, so long as they don't touch the diamonds. That's the best part.
I wouldn't... any shorter and the tower would look stupid with the others just like the new 3WTC does.

I can't say I have my hopes up for these two towers. Theoretically the government should have at least helped with the financing but that will never happen.

Everyone behind this project should rot in jail for the rest of their lives for the embarrassment they've caused this country... Durst included.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 9:17 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
I highly doubt they'd change this tower. Your all fretting over something that probably won't happen.

I would bet money that they'll shorten it... they shortened 3WTC and took the radome off tower 1, they don't care about appearances.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 9:53 PM

I don't like the diamonds and never really did. It takes true height away from a building that should fall just short of One World Trade Center. I would take the rectangular dimensions of the building straight up to the max. It would look better with a flattened top in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 9:55 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySky View Post
I don't like the diamonds and never really did. It takes true height away from a building that should fall just short of One World Trade Center. I would take the rectangular dimensions of the building straight up to the max. It would look better with a flattened top in my opinion.
I agree 100% it would make it a real solid 1270 foot building.

I've always felt 1WTC's tapering takes away from the building but gonna have to live with that I guess.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I agree 100% it would make it a real solid 1270 foot building.

I've always felt 1WTC's tapering takes away from the building but gonna have to live with that I guess.
But look at the citi building - not only is it still a properly tall building, it's sloping roof is one of it's defining features.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySky View Post
Although you are entitled to your opinion, I respectfully disagree. The diamonds on 2WTC are its defining feature, its crown jewel. Getting rid of them would make it an extremely dull tower that looks no different from any other run-of-the-mill glass skyscraper, making the complex as a whole look much more dull (3 & 4 WTC are boring enough as it is). Not to mention it would overpower 1WTC with its sheer bulkiness if not for the tapering slope at the top. I have heard from many that 2WTC is their favorite tower solely because of the unique diamonds.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction