HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1900 Arch Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 10:08 PM

Well, as a person who is not exactly in love with this building, it sure does hide that ugly monstrosity, you know, the one that was trying to stick to an "early colonial design" using red brick, and their VERY UGLY garage...eewwwee

That's a good question Londonee. The last time I drove down Arch, I didn't get a chance to look thru my rearview mirror. I wish they had stuck to the original materials, as in the FIRST rendering. The earth tone and bar code windows. I'm not a fan of the "bar code" look, but on this project, it would have been an improvement. I know I've said this before, it just looks out of place with the "office building" windows. Who knows? Maybe after landscaping is done, we'll see. They'll need to plant a ton of trees to camouflage it.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 2:54 AM

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 3:00 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 6:34 PM

I don't have my phone today but there is a big banner on the building now promoting it as luxury apartments

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I don't have my phone today but there is a big banner on the building now promoting it as luxury apartments
Really? I thought this building is under a business zoning license.

Strike that

Last edited by Stg4100; Apr 9, 2014 at 9:33 PM. Reason: I oops'd

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 11:47 PM

Someone should climb up and the spray paint 'insanely cheap', with the word apartments on the banner.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Someone should climb up and the spray paint 'insanely cheap', with the word apartments on the banner.
The prices of the units certainly won't be cheap. I doubt the interior finishes will be cheap either since 2040 Market is pretty nice on the inside... it's just the exterior that's a disappointment

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

Another update from Lincolndrive:

As you can see, the rowhome to the right is almost completely demo'd for the addition to this building

http://buildingphilly.com/19th-and-arch/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:36 AM
BANNED

I don't what the deal is with that checkered blue/grey/white cladding(facing 18th St) but it needs to go. They seriously need to rethink that portion of the project, its absolutely hideous.

Untouched photo Taken tonight at sunset with some interesting lighting contrast. You can see a burst of light reflecting off the Cira Centre in photo

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:54 AM

Looks like this building is mostly 1 bedrooms with just a few 2 bedrooms -

Quote:
One-bedroom apartments starting at $1630; 2-bedroom apartments starting at $2335. - See more at: http://pmcpropertygroup.com/properti....LjIYKDWO.dpuf

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
Well, as a person who is not exactly in love with this building, it sure does hide that ugly monstrosity, you know, the one that was trying to stick to an "early colonial design" using red brick, and their VERY UGLY garage...eewwwee

That's a good question Londonee. The last time I drove down Arch, I didn't get a chance to look thru my rearview mirror. I wish they had stuck to the original materials, as in the FIRST rendering. The earth tone and bar code windows. I'm not a fan of the "bar code" look, but on this project, it would have been an improvement. I know I've said this before, it just looks out of place with the "office building" windows. Who knows? Maybe after landscaping is done, we'll see. They'll need to plant a ton of trees to camouflage it.
Hmmm, hide a red brick "colonial' monstrosity with a soon to be dated "modern" monstrosity. I wonder which building will be truly hiding the other...and believe me there aren't enough giant trees around to camouflage neither buildings.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 2:21 PM

I park in the CITC lot on a weekly bases and all I can think about is how cheap this building looks and even more out of place I beleive it will be when CITC arrives. Close up it looks like pre-fab peices glued together with crazy glue.

Then what's even more crazier is the amount of time it is taking to build.

The pictures make it look cheap, but in person its worse.

And as mentioned, the huge banner hanging is laughable with the term "luxury".

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 6:45 PM
Closed account

I don't know. It is nice infill and is much better than an empty lot. It will be fine when the new Comcast tower is built. The whole block of Arch is undeveloped, with empty lots and parking garages.

It will be nice when they have that little park area and ground level retail.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFHQ View Post
I don't know. It is nice infill and is much better than an empty lot. It will be fine when the new Comcast tower is built. The whole block of Arch is undeveloped, with empty lots and parking garages.

It will be nice when they have that little park area and ground level retail.

There is no sense in complaining about it , complaining isnt going to alter this thing.

Now just to vent .

If this was my project? I'm looking at that junk, eyesorish, checkered cladding and its an automatic NO WAY. Change that Look Now!! Back to the drawing board on that portion of the project.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 7:36 PM

I finally walked by this in person the other day and I don't think it looks all that bad. It doesn't look great by any means, but it isn't glaringly ugly (like Symphony House or 1706 Rittenhouse). It's just a bit bland. I suspect we'll all completely forget this thing exists in 10 years (which all things considered isn't such a terrible thing.)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 7:48 PM
Closed account

Yeah, I mean it isn't going to win any prizes, but it looks better than that brick mess next to it. Plus it makes Arch all the more busy. Considering how short all of Arch is and the sheer amount of empty lots I think it is fine for now.

The building can always be reclad and I think it would support additional stories later on in the future.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFHQ View Post
Yeah, I mean it isn't going to win any prizes, but it looks better than that brick mess next to it. Plus it makes Arch all the more busy. Considering how short all of Arch is and the sheer amount of empty lots I think it is fine for now.

The building can always be reclad and I think it would support additional stories later on in the future.
I don't doubt you but can you give some examples of buildings that have recladed? You've peaked my curiosity

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
I finally walked by this in person the other day and I don't think it looks all that bad. It doesn't look great by any means, but it isn't glaringly ugly (like Symphony House or 1706 Rittenhouse). It's just a bit bland. I suspect we'll all completely forget this thing exists in 10 years (which all things considered isn't such a terrible thing.)
Agreed... it's not really ugly.

But... 1706 Rittenhouse ugly?! Are you on drugs? I can see if one doesn't like the design but I think it's an awesome design. Even if you don't like it I would in no way call it glaringly ugly. I wouldn't call Symphony House glaringly ugly either.

You want ugly? Kennedy House. Penn Center House. Those are UGLY buildings.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
I don't doubt you but can you give some examples of buildings that have recladed? You've peaked my curiosity
Aria was recladded not too long ago.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
Aria wasn't reclad, just painted.

The bottom 5 floors of 2030 Market were totally reclad.

CHOP on 33rd St. was reclad.

Goldtex

The south facade of 1500 Spring Garden was reclad.

Verizon Bldg in NYC, Standard Oil in Chicago, Bank of Montreal in Toronto.

Kennedy House and Penn Center House are less ugly than they are just communist style industrial utilitarian construction. The net result is brutally awful and inappropriate for an urban area, but not garishly hideous in the sense that Symphony House is.

Last edited by Cro Burnham; Apr 11, 2014 at 3:25 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive