HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Had some passengers on my pedicab last night talking about how underwhelmed they are with Austin. Saying they prefer Nashville. Never been to Nashville. But I suspect people come from big cities and some folks really can't wrap their minds around Austin that they try to compare it and it falls short. Idk.. I've done a few traveling. I prefer Austin more than any other city except maybe Brooklyn.
Well I hope you told them when Nashville has an F1 race for ten years, then maybe you'll consider a visit.

But seriously, Nashville is nice but not enough to ever merit a return visit for me. Perhaps if one really likes country music. I mean maybe if it was closer to Dollywood. Otherwise it's kind of interchangeable with Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham IMO.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Had some passengers on my pedicab last night talking about how underwhelmed they are with Austin. Saying they prefer Nashville. Never been to Nashville. But I suspect people come from big cities and some folks really can't wrap their minds around Austin that they try to compare it and it falls short. Idk.. I've done a few traveling. I prefer Austin more than any other city except maybe Brooklyn.
By underwhelmed I guess they mean all the action is not located in one spot like in Nashville? Austin’s hotspots is scattered (SoCo, West 6th, Downtown 6th, East 6th, Rainey, and etc.) Nashville is a nice city where has tourist attractions like the Country Music Hall of Fame, Gaylord Opryland, and Parthenon. Both have similar qualities as being a place for young people to party and hangout.

Last edited by SproutingTowers; Oct 26, 2022 at 5:58 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:06 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
By underwhelmed I guess they mean all the action is not located in one spot like in Nashville? Austin’s hotspots is scattered (SoCo, West 6th, Downtown 6th, East 6th, Rainey, and etc.) Nashville is a nice city where has tourist attractions like the Country Music Hall of Fame, Gaylord Texan, and Parthenon. Both have similar qualities as being a place for young people to party and hangout.
Nashville’s attractions are more spread out than Austin’s, so this logic does not track. All of the ones for Austin you mention are in town or adjacent to it and our only major tourist draw that isn’t happens to be F1.

Nashville does not have a Gaylord Texan (it does have the Gaylord Opryland), the Country Music Hall of Fame is downtown as is Broadway and the various components of the main entertainment area, while Church, the Parthenon, Music Row, and Vanderbilt are just outside of downtown, but the Opry, Hermitage, Belle Meade, are scattered. Austin has… Hamilton Pool, McKinney Falls, and a bunch of outdoor activities and nature that is also scattered, but so does Nashville — which has a truly effective greenbelt surrounding the western rim of the inner suburbs that also happen to be closer to the core than Austin’s offerings, which is an odd counterweight to my original point.

Edited to add:

Also, development is starting to throw the golden goose out with the bath water. Our entertainment districts are being gutted, while Nashville is preserving its low-rise character while still getting what is probably the second biggest boom in skyscrapers among the south mid-size cities now, second to only Austin. I often wonder when Richmond will see its day, lovely history in that town and stellar urban bones. Very similar in ways to Austin, Nashville, Portland, and Denver.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Last edited by wwmiv; Oct 25, 2022 at 6:27 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 1:40 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Residents around COTA upset about traffic and lack of cell service during US Grand Prix
https://www.kvue.com/article/sports/...d-a6d1b7630eb6

My cell service worked fairly well while at COTA (I have AT&T) on Friday. Granted, I wasn't there on Saturday or Sunday.

I was, however, incredibly surprised at just how bad Kellam Rd. is between Pearce Ln. and the track. There were massive cracks - some of which had been previously repaired - and large sections of the road (lining up with outside tires, no less) were a good 3-4" lower than the rest. Seems like a lot of this could be blamed on crazy temperature fluctuations over the past couple years along with extreme rain and drought patterns...similar to foundation issues that so many are having east of I-35 right now. However, other roads in the area looked like Kellam Rd. as well...so if I were a resident, I would be frustrated as well. How can this be rectified? If they're indeed anticipating 400K+ people for major events like this (along with other decently large events throughout the year), the infrastructure should be able to support it on many levels.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
https://www.kvue.com/article/sports/...d-a6d1b7630eb6

My cell service worked fairly well while at COTA (I have AT&T) on Friday. Granted, I wasn't there on Saturday or Sunday.

I was, however, incredibly surprised at just how bad Kellam Rd. is between Pearce Ln. and the track. There were massive cracks - some of which had been previously repaired - and large sections of the road (lining up with outside tires, no less) were a good 3-4" lower than the rest. Seems like a lot of this could be blamed on crazy temperature fluctuations over the past couple years along with extreme rain and drought patterns...similar to foundation issues that so many are having east of I-35 right now. However, other roads in the area looked like Kellam Rd. as well...so if I were a resident, I would be frustrated as well. How can this be rectified? If they're indeed anticipating 400K+ people for major events like this (along with other decently large events throughout the year), the infrastructure should be able to support it on many levels.
The obvious solution is for all those residents around Cota to petition to be annexed by the city. Most of the surrounding land is unincorporated, which is why the infrastructure out there is minimal.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
The obvious solution is for all those residents around Cota to petition to be annexed by the city. Most of the surrounding land is unincorporated, which is why the infrastructure out there is minimal.
The city can see the condition of those roads, too. They aren’t going to want to take on that infrastructure (and police) expense for the tax base that it would offer.

Of course, lots of things seem to be going this general direction. Extreme money or poverty, side by side, no room in the economic model for a middle.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:51 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Finally a little update on the amusement park.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/s...o-dozen-rides/

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 8:01 PM

Site plan filed for long-awaited COTA Land amusement park in Southeast Austin

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

By Justin Sayers – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
May 4, 2023

A long-planned amusement park at Circuit of The Americas in Southeast Austin appears to be ready to ramp up construction.

An April 25 site plan filed with the city of Austin called "COTA Land" is currently under review — and while there are very few details, it notes that the project is located on 21 acres and could eventually include 1 million square feet of development at the 1,500-acre site that for the last decade has been home to the Formula One U.S. Grand Prix.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 8:43 PM
クラブトクヨ

I thought someone said the theme park was dead? Or maybe I misinterpreted.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 12:00 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I thought someone said the theme park was dead? Or maybe I misinterpreted.
They were incorrect. The article that was posted did not even back up that claim.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 11:30 PM

New amusement park with more than 30 rides is officially under construction at COTA

Quote:
By KVUE Staff
Jul 12, 2023

COTALAND will be located near Turn 19 and 20 and will feature kids rides, family rides and thrill rides.

"We are already a place for people to come together to have fun. The amusement park adds to – and is consistent with – our mission to create 'A playground for today. Memories forever,'" COTA Chairman and founder Bobby Epstein said.

A spokesperson said the park’s Palindrome roller coaster, the first Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster of its kind in the U.S., is officially under construction.
https://austin.culturemap.com/news/e...oller-coaster/

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 3:47 PM

what is this mockup?! was COTA airlifted to palm springs?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 5:49 PM

Excited about the park and what it would mean for kids growing up in central Texas. Although, not super crazy about the idea of building large rollercoasters on top of clay.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 6:25 PM

I wonder how this will compare to other amusement parks with just 30 rides, or is that alot? Will it become a destination park or more for locals? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 6:34 PM
Resident Moron

Fiesta Texas has 50ish rides but 10 of those are coasters and 4 of those are much larger coasters than what this will have.

And fiesta Texas is not generally considered a major theme park.

That said it's a good start. Hopefully it's nice place to be and the rides are decent. I'm assuming this is aimed at locals more than anything else.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 1:16 PM

Cotaland?

COTALAND - not particularly creative or imaginative...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 4:21 PM
lurker

I took a ride around with COTALANDS general manager. There are lots of things to be excited about with this park and it is definitely still in progress. They hit a ton of delays. The GM is the previous operations manager at Six Flags Over Texas.

Anyway for those who are intersted i have a short write up about the park here.

https://medium.com/@thrillnerds/from...n-1503b079b492

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberthewhat View Post
I took a ride around with COTALANDS general manager. There are lots of things to be excited about with this park and it is definitely still in progress. They hit a ton of delays. The GM is the previous operations manager at Six Flags Over Texas.

Anyway for those who are intersted i have a short write up about the park here.

https://medium.com/@thrillnerds/from...n-1503b079b492
Great write up Oberthewhat!

Did they give any hint of how the park will be themed/ designed? I'd love for us to have a beautiful park that embraces the landscape, or gives a great deal of detail for immersion. Something like Silver Dollar City ( save for the heavy religious tones) would be incredible, even if the land is mainly praire.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 10:47 PM
クラブトクヨ

Thanks for the write up! Enjoyed and look forward to the park!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 8:55 PM
lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLloydLeft View Post
Great write up Oberthewhat!

Did they give any hint of how the park will be themed/ designed? I'd love for us to have a beautiful park that embraces the landscape, or gives a great deal of detail for immersion. Something like Silver Dollar City ( save for the heavy religious tones) would be incredible, even if the land is mainly praire.
So they are going to try to keep more of a general theme to the park, with racing being a heavy part of that. There is not expected to be themed areas or anything like that. Moreso they just want to have a clean park that carries in a lot of the Austin vibe. They are looking to have local food establishments have small counter service spots. The park will be open all year and have 7 day operations in the spring-fall.

The future will be here, tomorrow

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin