HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 5:45 PM

Willowick Square at 16th St and Colter is now fully demolished. I found a PUD approved in 2020, Z-9-20N, that would seem to still be in effect. Combusean's first post in this thread mentions a larger proposal from 2015 that also encompassed the apartment complex just west of this property on Colter, but that doesn't seem to be part of this PUD. In any case, I don't see any permit activity other than the demo permits so not sure how long the property might just be an empty lot.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 9:17 PM
Skyriser

That one came out of left field. I could have sworn that business complex was well leased.

The complex to the back was bought at the same time but sold off and remodeled/rebranded so it'll be there for a while.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 5:40 PM

Biltmore luxury apartments move ahead after city scrutiny

Had forgotten about this proposal but chugging along.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...partments.html

Quote:
A proposed luxury apartment community just west of Biltmore Fashion Park that has met steep opposition is a step closer to being built after some design changes.

The Camelback East Village Planning Committee unanimously approved a 60-unit apartment community — taking up a smaller footprint than the original proposal — to be built at the Camelback Lakes office complex on the north side of Camelback Road.

A proposal to replace an underutilized parking garage is expected to be heard by Phoenix City Council in June, said Jason Barclay Morris, zoning attorney for Withey Morris Baugh PLC.

"It's an acre of unused space in one of the most interesting, vibrant corridors we have in the Valley," Morris said. "Turning it into something really beneficial from something not being utilized at all — that's a huge win."

All three neighboring properties had hired their own zoning attorneys to oppose the project, he said.

"We sent notices to all the surrounding property owners," said Morris, who represents the developer, Florida-based Mainstreet Capital Partners. "Everyone lawyered up."

The nearby Arizona Biltmore Golf Club hired an attorney to ensure that one of its golf holes wouldn't be impacted by the development. One homeowner within Biltmore Estates behind the property also hired a lawyer because he didn't want apartment residents looking over into his property, Morris said.

"We were able to devise a series of stipulations that addressed his concerns," Morris said. "We hired a drone pilot to fly at a height that would be equivalent to a 6'2" person standing on the tallest portion of the building facing his property. Then we shared those images. All you see are trees."

Construction activities restricted on site

Once he resolved those issues, Morris said that Hillstone restaurant, which shares a property line with the apartment project, was concerned customers wouldn't be impacted by restricted parking.

"Then they were concerned with the aesthetics of the building," Morris said. "Their restaurant is a really beautifully designed architectural structure."

Mainstreet Capital Partners had originally planned to build 75 units on the property, which sits north of the 200,000-square-foot Camelback Lakes office complex.

The developer, who could not be reached for comment, agreed to limit the height of the project to no more than 56 feet with a maximum of 60 units, Morris said.

If approved by the city, construction likely wouldn't begin before June 2025 and it could have an extended construction timeline. That's because outdoor construction activity or exterior construction will not be allowed on weekends and interior construction would be allowed only between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.on weekdays.

"At the end of the day, the greatest feeling is when you can bring together so many disparate parties and have them all on the same page," Morris said. "But it took a tremendous amount of work to get there. I'm just glad that it worked out."

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 9:23 PM
Modulator

The 2nd phase of Edison Midtown has opened. I still don't see how they are selling condo's along Central constructed of wood, but time will tell by how fast the sell out.

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/e...rom-developer/

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:40 PM

Can anyone post the whole article.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...s-to-adus.html

ADU bill I knew of what is this townhome/Duplex bill?

I would love if we could get some support for small apartments and condo buildings.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Can anyone post the whole article.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...s-to-adus.html

ADU bill I knew of what is this townhome/Duplex bill?

I would love if we could get some support for small apartments and condo buildings.
My serious question about encouraging small apts/ duplexes/ triplexes is this....

Most of those types of developments are located in usually historic/ original townsites across the valley where there are small lots (Think the Lacey Tract in Downtown Gilbert or the neighborhood west of the tracks in Downtown Tempe). Some definitely have potential for more development/ redevelopment. However any new land development is geared towards masterplanned communities and large multifamily complexes. There doesn't seem to be any incentive for land developers to develop new neighborhoods where small builders can construct these types of property types and then sell them off. So how does one counteract the market if it's skewed towards massive developments?

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 4:42 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
My serious question about encouraging small apts/ duplexes/ triplexes is this....

Most of those types of developments are located in usually historic/ original townsites across the valley where there are small lots (Think the Lacey Tract in Downtown Gilbert or the neighborhood west of the tracks in Downtown Tempe). Some definitely have potential for more development/ redevelopment. However any new land development is geared towards masterplanned communities and large multifamily complexes. There doesn't seem to be any incentive for land developers to develop new neighborhoods where small builders can construct these types of property types and then sell them off. So how does one counteract the market if it's skewed towards massive developments?
The bill just signed by Governor Hobbs applies only within one mile of central business districts. For the most part, those are areas with scattered vacant lots that lend themselves to small-scale development. Beyond a radius of one mile, you're more likely to have big areas of former farmland or pristine desert that are typically developed at a larger scale.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:06 PM

I walked by the Willo Lofts at 1st Ave and Virginia. After a very long period of nothing going on, surprisingly enough they were pouring concrete for building foundations. I checked the city's website and there has been permit activity.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:03 PM

/\ Wow, that's surprising. It's been so long I can't even remember what they are supposed to look like. I have in my head that it's something like what is going in at 7th St and Windsor, but from an aerial view it looks like they'll have pretty large back yards. ??

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:47 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ Wow, that's surprising. It's been so long I can't even remember what they are supposed to look like. I have in my head that it's something like what is going in at 7th St and Windsor, but from an aerial view it looks like they'll have pretty large back yards. ??
Here you go.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-92-18n.pdf

Edit: No wait. I think that was the previous one that fell through. I have it somewhere. Stand by.

2nd Edit: Guess I don't have it. Time for a Records Request

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Yeah, they started in late 2019 because I worked in the offices right there i could look down on the progress daily and they haven't had any work since the start of Covid as far as I can tell.

Shocked to see them moving forward now.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The bill just signed by Governor Hobbs applies only within one mile of central business districts. For the most part, those are areas with scattered vacant lots that lend themselves to small-scale development. Beyond a radius of one mile, you're more likely to have big areas of former farmland or pristine desert that are typically developed at a larger scale.
Real question is it based on their own defined CBD's boundary + 1 mile in every direction? or is it from the center of the CBD point in a 1 mile radius?

Because one is a much bigger area than the other. And for Phoenix is it just the downtown or multiple cores of the villages?

I would say that this will probably make Garfield, WestLake and South Phoenix explode.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Real question is it based on their own defined CBD's boundary + 1 mile in every direction? or is it from the center of the CBD point in a 1 mile radius?

Because one is a much bigger area than the other. And for Phoenix is it just the downtown or multiple cores of the villages?

I would say that this will probably make Garfield, WestLake and South Phoenix explode.
I looked up the language so you can do that as well. My read of it is it is 1 mile from the "district" which would mean the boundary, because there is no defining center of a CBD by definition.

In addition to any area within 1 mile of a CBD, if a city doesn't have a CBD designated, it appears to define it as their downtown. I'm not sure every city has a designated CBD.

In addition to the 1 mile rule, these rules must also apply to AT LEAST TWENTY PERCENT OF ANY NEW DEVELOPMENT OF MORE THAN TEN CONTIGUOUS ACRES.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 11:22 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
I looked up the language so you can do that as well. My read of it is it is 1 mile from the "district" which would mean the boundary, because there is no defining center of a CBD by definition.

In addition to any area within 1 mile of a CBD, if a city doesn't have a CBD designated, it appears to define it as their downtown. I'm not sure every city has a designated CBD.

In addition to the 1 mile rule, these rules must also apply to AT LEAST TWENTY PERCENT OF ANY NEW DEVELOPMENT OF MORE THAN TEN CONTIGUOUS ACRES.
Thanks for clarifying that. I should not have used the term radius earlier. It sounds like a bigger rectangle is drawn around the boundaries of the rectangle that already defines a CBD.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:17 PM

With Phoenix looking to expand the area of it's CBD, this could apply to a pretty large section of central Phoenix.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroD View Post
With Phoenix looking to expand the area of it's CBD, this could apply to a pretty large section of central Phoenix.
Didn't they table that motion? Looks to be dead for now.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 5:35 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Didn't they table that motion? Looks to be dead for now.
AFAIK, just temporarily to gather community input. There was a community town hall meeting last week at Indian Steele Park. Although I don't know what came of the event, I have not heard that the expansion has been withdrawn.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 8:32 PM

Quote:
AT LEAST TWENTY PERCENT OF ANY NEW DEVELOPMENT OF MORE THAN TEN CONTIGUOUS ACRES.
Excuse my low IQ but it seems like a weird requirement so is this saying 1/5 of all new medium-large neighborhoods must be zoned for Multifamily?

Like if I want to build 100 homes in Buckeye I also need to build 20 duplexes?

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 9:05 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Excuse my low IQ but it seems like a weird requirement so is this saying 1/5 of all new medium-large neighborhoods must be zoned for Multifamily?

Like if I want to build 100 homes in Buckeye I also need to build 20 duplexes?
You wouldn't have to, but you could.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 5:17 PM

First Apartment complex moving forward at Metro Center:

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...r-metrocenter/

Quote:
While, for a variety of reasons, the more recently completed sections of light rail around the Valley have not seen neighborhood redevelopment at the same pace as the original segments, a new proposal could add some momentum to the northwest light rail area near Metrocenter.

Sason Organization is planning a 345-unit, four-building multifamily development on 7.2 acres near the NWC of 23rd and Townley avenues, just south of Dunlap Avenue. The company has requested a rezoning from Commercial Office to Walkable Urban Code, Transect 5:5 District to allow the development to proceed. Building heights are planned for four stories.

Surrounding uses include office, a fire station, a storage facility and other multifamily residential. The site is currently occupied by an office building used by Brookline College. The 25th Avenue and Dunlap light rail station is less than a quarter mile from the planned site.

Planning staff has set a number of stipulations for the Townley Multifamily Community development. Given the location’s proximity to a light rail station, it falls under the Medium Urban Center place type. According to the staff report, “The Medium Urban Center Place type calls for a balance of commercial and residential to create a retail destination; staff therefore recommends… a mix of live/work units and no less than 5,000 square feet of non-residential use.”

A minimum of five live/work units will be required. According to the stipulation in the staff report, “Live-Work units may be characterized as two-level units that are designed to allow for professional services or sale of goods (inside) Live-Work units shall have a storefront ‘frontage type’ (outside). Live-Work Units shall be designed for small commercial entrepreneurs and/or professionals (sic) services to live and work in their unit.”

The project is planned in two phases. Phase I will deliver one building with a total of 75 units. The expected unit mix is 53 one-bedroom and 22 two-bedroom apartments. Phase II will build the remaining three buildings with 164 one-bedroom and 106 two-bedroom units.

The preliminary site plan shows a swimming pool as part of an amenity area in Phase I and a second pool and amenity area, as well as a space marked “play area/amenity” in Phase II.

Another major stipulation is the inclusion of a public pedestrian access walkway directly from the site to the 25th Avenue station. The pathway must be at least 10 feet wide and able to accommodate both pedestrian and bicyclist uses.

Staff has set 24 stipulations in total.

Sason Organization is the developer. The design firm is Biltform Architecture. The Phoenix Planning Commission is scheduled to hear the case on June 6.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest